Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You can of course continue doing what you want, but your logic seems pretty backwards to me. If you're hotlinking images from some random small website, sure that's bad because that costs them traffic but gives them no ad clicks. But someone uploading a video to Youtube wants it to be linked pretty much everywhere so it can gather more clicks. Nobody is uploading videogame music just so a select circle of friends can listen to it and hates when it get a hundred more clicks from an SA LP. I really think you don't need to stress out about that.

My only issue with linking stuff in my own LPs is that I don't know if in ten years, the videos will still be there. But that could be said of my own uploads as well, so...whatever.

Apart from that, I'm surprised by the lukewarm reception to Gen 5 in this thread; B&W are among my absolute favorites. I absolutely loathed Diamond: it plays extremely slowly (both from an animation/battle loading standpoint and from stuff like getting stuck in swampy areas, having to take the long way around everywhere, and all the HM usage), the Pokemon selection is garbage, and so many of the new mons were just babies/evolutions of older Pokemon, which I absolutely didn't care for. Not that it would have been particularly easy to pick up, say, a Yanmega at any sensible point without trading.

So I was almost ready to drop Pokemon for good, but I gave White a somewhat reluctant try because for the first time in years, someone wanted to do a "you pick one, I pick the other" version thing, and I absolutely loved it! Completely blown away by the 180 in quality! I think most of my positives are spoilers at this point, but let's just say it's the opposite of all the complaints above and a lot of other cool things they got right added on top of it.

And I do like the music as well, so you should be linking it I think :D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah Gen V is my favorite gen and it’s way better than IV so I was surprised by this thread too.

Of course, every gen is someone’s favorite, every mon is someone’s favorite, etc.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I mean, Platinum is the best game in the franchise with Black/White as a close second. Though it makes sense that someone wouldn’t like Gen IV if their only experience with it was Diamond or Pearl

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Naw I don’t like gen IV even having played Platinum. It sped up certain things but all gen IV games play super slow regardless and the Sinnoh dex was barely fixed.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Simply Simon posted:

You can of course continue doing what you want, but your logic seems pretty backwards to me. If you're hotlinking images from some random small website, sure that's bad because that costs them traffic but gives them no ad clicks. But someone uploading a video to Youtube wants it to be linked pretty much everywhere so it can gather more clicks. Nobody is uploading videogame music just so a select circle of friends can listen to it and hates when it get a hundred more clicks from an SA LP. I really think you don't need to stress out about that.

That's honestly a far better argument than mine. I think I'm just stuck in that scenario of "this is using someone else's content", but that's the whole reason they've uploaded it in the first place. It's something I'll certainly take into consideration going forward. (I'd also need to start playing with the sound on, I usually listen to podcasts or something while I'm recording.)

Most of the Gen V dislike I remember seeing wasn't here, but on other forums around when the game came out, or among my friends. I remember being the only one of my friends back in like, high school/college that didn't hate Black/White. I'm not sure why that is, but it's something I hope to dive into a little more as the game goes on. The OP might have been worded a little too negatively, I really do enjoy B/W, but I'm a fan of all the Pokemon generations. Personally, I think the sequels are also some of the best games in the franchise and it's a travesty that they haven't brought back the Pokemon World Tournament as postgame content since.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gen 5 mons evolve too drat late. Like mienshao's a fairly standard two stage fighting type that for some reason evolves at level 50? It sucks

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I liked B/W :colbert:

Also an excellent new avatar, man :v:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

B/W are my second favorite Pokémon games; they're only really held back by the ridiculous evolution levels for a lot of Unova 'mons imo. Gen 4 had a ton of problems baked into the region design and engine; Platinum was better but it didn't (and likely couldn't) do enough to make them good.

Also Hilda's design is great. :colbert:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

theshim posted:

Also an excellent new avatar, man :v:

I have no idea who bought it for me but I'm thrilled. There's a poster in the sandcastle talking about making a narrative FE12 LP thread, and they had some edited portraits. I mentioned I loved this one, of course, and then I woke up and a mysterious wizard benefactor had blessed me with a SmugJagen.

Nihilarian posted:

Gen 5 mons evolve too drat late. Like mienshao's a fairly standard two stage fighting type that for some reason evolves at level 50? It sucks

Like Clockwork posted:

B/W are my second favorite Pokémon games; they're only really held back by the ridiculous evolution levels for a lot of Unova 'mons imo.

I had forgotten about this issue, honestly, but it sure Is A Thing. It reminds me of the issue with Crabrawler in original Sun/Moon, where you cannot evolve them until you've reached the final area of the game, right before the E4.

Platinum might not have aged as well as I remember it, to be frank.

Next update is pretty well on its way, there's some more tutorializing, which I apologize for, but I just want to cover my bases. Plot also starts, though.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I think a lot of my dislike of BW came b/c of all the hype around it being new and different and then getting let down. :v: It might also be b/c for me Gen 4 was where the Big Nostalgia Feels come in, plus little things like not liking the map being an oval, thinking the new moving battle sprite stuff looked Not Great, and no day/night music and such??

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I also don't have much experience recording the music files directly for Tindeck or something like that, so it's not something I'm planning on doing anytime soon.

You're in luck. Tindeck is dead, so that's no longer an option.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Like Clockwork posted:

B/W are my second favorite Pokémon games; they're only really held back by the ridiculous evolution levels for a lot of Unova 'mons imo. Gen 4 had a ton of problems baked into the region design and engine; Platinum was better but it didn't (and likely couldn't) do enough to make them good.
I think my biggest issue with Gen IV is the utterly bizarre dick punch leveled at Fire types. You have a type that has been well established from minute one with a slew of various options to choose from by that point in time...and Diamond and Pearl proceed to limit you to the Ponyta line (or trades/cheat codes) if you want a different Fire Pokemon besides the starting Fire Pokemon, Chimchar. I honestly am glad Houndour got to shine in Platinum because it was exactly what I like from a Pokemon: something with one strength (Fire) that can also multitask (Dark) and deal with other threats outside of its primary strength.

On the flip side, Gen V tries to do something unique with its decision to limit the Pokedex to primarily the new 'mons, and generally has fun with the setting. But like you said, holy Pokeballs are there some 'mons in this generation that really do not need to evolve at level 65 or learn its first viable/powerful move at level 40. Or to go even further, have one ability that is absolute chicken fried rear end compared to the other. Looking right at you, 20th Golett with Klutz. :argh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

on the other hand, gen 4 gave us this wonderful lad

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

I think my biggest issue with Gen IV is the utterly bizarre dick punch leveled at Fire types. You have a type that has been well established from minute one with a slew of various options to choose from by that point in time...and Diamond and Pearl proceed to limit you to the Ponyta line (or trades/cheat codes) if you want a different Fire Pokemon besides the starting Fire Pokemon, Chimchar. I honestly am glad Houndour got to shine in Platinum because it was exactly what I like from a Pokemon: something with one strength (Fire) that can also multitask (Dark) and deal with other threats outside of its primary strength.

On the flip side, Gen V tries to do something unique with its decision to limit the Pokedex to primarily the new 'mons, and generally has fun with the setting. But like you said, holy Pokeballs are there some 'mons in this generation that really do not need to evolve at level 65 or learn its first viable/powerful move at level 40. Or to go even further, have one ability that is absolute chicken fried rear end compared to the other. Looking right at you, 20th Golett with Klutz. :argh:
Conversely, I was extremely into how fiendishly strong a lot of those Gen V mons get, and how early too. I had a lot of burnout from Gen III because it was Pokemon so you replay it a lot!!! (child mindset), but the beginning honestly sucks rear end and all the monster are terrible and weak (more critical mindset creeping in). Then I got Gen IV after a long pause and Diamond was so abysmal that it's a miracle I even dared give the games another chance.

But anyway, in Gen III you have a bunch of mons that can't take a punch (Fiffyen, Wingull), can't deliver a punch (the same two, the Seedot/Lotad [lol if Astonish is the better attack over Bide], Slakoth) and ones that take until Level 15-20-25 to get going (probably even the starters, Shroomish, Taillow until it, breath of fresh air, learns Wing Attack comparatively early). It's a giant drag until you get past the second gym at least.

Whereas here, you have a whole bunch of mons who shake off the "Tackle Leer" incredibly fast and just get Headbutt instead. Or Take Down, which is not great, but a whole lot of damage for level 15ish. Moves like Air Cutter, Shock Wave, Rock Blast, Bug Bite are in a lot of movesets very early to give a 60 (avg.) power, reliable STAB attack to even unevolved Pokemon. Gone are the days when you get a Skorupi and think "awesome murder scorpion time" and you have to deal with it knowing only Bite (not STAB yet!) and Pin Needle up to something absurd like Level 35ish. Platinum rightly gave it at least Bug Bite; Gen V bugs ALL know Bug Bite. GameFreak learned.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
To further break from the past, B/W comes along with an excellent route 1 Pokemon. I'm inclined to try and vote it in for our Lord and Hippoman because I just love that mustachioed monster.

And bugs in general are great in B/W.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Gen IV is the only pokemon Gen which I didn't play through to completion.

I just found myself using a Gengar and Alakazam to blow through everything and suddenly realised it was no different to Gen 1.

Gen V was great because I just used so many new dudes. I love Archeops in particular because its ability is so endearing.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 3: Jagen Attends A Protest Event

Welcome back to Pokemon Black. Jagen just assured his friends he’d beat them in a Pokemon catching contest, so let’s see if we can manage that.

Although I guess we have to avoid Casual Friday Slenderman first? (These zooms were not meant for still shots.)

It’s a dog! Lillipup is one Gen 5 design I don’t think I’ve heard anyone complain about, because it’s adorable.

Let’s get one on our team, shall we?

While Marth slams in with some truly regal and elegant Tackles, the Lillipup is all about that Leer life.

Once its HP is in the red, we mimic Juniper.

I’d ask you to cross your fingers, but this is post-commentary.

Hooray! First catch of the LP.

This one must be pretty dumb, then, because Marth was pounding it.

Unfortunately, both Marth and our new Lillipup are pretty weak from that fight, so Jagen does the sensible thing and goes to ask his mom for help.

Phew! I’m taking a little break from cleaning up. You and your Pokemon should take a break, too.

Mom, I just started. :(

Our Pokemon are fully healed, but Jagen is easily distracted and goes to watch TV.

: If you were born in May, your sign is Bouffalant!

We haven’t seen Bouffalant yet, and showing the sprite feels like a spoiler. But I understand the desire for the people born in May to get their horoscopes from this LP so I figured I’d compromise.

There it is, that’s Bouffalant.

: You are a very calm and relaxed person! Everyone feels at peace when they’re around you. Try to be a little more assertive, and all will be well!

: What’s the lucky item for a Bouffalant sign?

: Weeell… Carry a X Attack.

I’d like to note that I do not endorse this horoscope.

: Thank you very much! See you next time!

While we’re at home, let’s take a closer look at both of our new Pokemon.

Here’s the status screen for Marth. The most interesting bits here are the Nature at the top and the “Capable of taking hits” text at the bottom of the top screen. That text on the bottom provides a hint as to the Pokemon’s Individual Values, unique to that Pokemon and providing minor stat differences at max level. You don’t have to worry about this at all unless you intend on, like, competitive multiplayer battling.

As for Nature, a Pokemon’s nature will provide some slightly more impactful changes to their stats. Normally you’d have to like, look up a chart for that, but:

Pokemon Black and White have this lovely mechanic where they just highlight the affected stats for you on this screen! The blue stat is being lowered, and the red stat is being raised. So Marth, being Jolly, will have a slightly higher Speed than normal, and a slightly lowered Special Attack. I know I sound like a broken record now, but you do not have to worry about this in the base game. (With the possible exception of the Battle Subway, but we’ll get to that...much much later.)

We can also see Marth’s ability here! Overgrow will give Grass type moves a 50% boost in power if the user is under ½ HP. Not bad at all! Most species of Pokemon have two or three different possible abilities, but the Snivy you get at the start will always have Overgrow.

Lillipup, on the other hand, is rocking Vital Spirit, giving it immunity to Sleep. Not terrible, but not really useful either. Let’s head back to Route 1 and see if we can round up a third teammate.

And, of course, read a sign.

More importantly, sometimes they’ll give you stuff. This lady rambled about how having high HP was good but I’m cutting it just to spite that sign.

It did take Marth defeating another Lillipup to level up, because catching a wild Pokemon doesn’t actually get you any experience. Don’t worry, they fix it in Generation 6.

And we get a pretty drat useful move for our starter!

Vine Whip, while having the same Power as Tackle, outdoes it because Vine Whip shares a typing with Marth. Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) gives you a 1.5x multiplier on attacks. Good stuff!

The Potion was used in lieu of having to walk all the way back to Mom again, because I’m fantastically lazy.

Now, there’s Cheren (and the end of the Route, it’s extremely short and just a straight line), but there’s something else I want here.

It’s not you.

Not this one either.

At least they’re giving our own Lillipup experience. I’m sure a lot of you are already aware of this trick, but all Pokemon that take part in a battle split the experience, so making Lillipup my lead and switching to Marth on the first turn was an easy way to get our pup some extra punch.

Odor Sleuth might be the most useless move in Pokemon. It allows Normal type moves to hit Ghost type Pokemon. If this ever comes up, congratulations, I guess? It also negates evasion boosts, but that’s not likely to come up either. You’re better off having something that impacts the battle more in this slot. Not that we have much of a choice right now.

Six Lillipups later, we finally hit a Patrat! The split is allegedly 50/50 Lillipup/Patrat on this route, but I don’t believe it. :colbert:

One tackle from Lillipup got it this low, so we’re just going to have to hope for the best without the red zone of HP.

Oh, hey, look! The best.

Patrat’s eyes terrify me and I don’t like it, but lots of people seem to!

He even got a name suggestion! Thanks, Darth TNT! All glory to our new pal, Hypnotoad.

I took out a little frustration on another Lillipup. I might be turning into a bad person, and it’s only Update 3.

Patrat, of course, has KEEN EYE because holy poo poo look at him.

In general, I hear constantly comparing yourself to others is a bad way to live your life, Cheren :(

Oh, well, I’ve got that crushed. Never mind.

Read ‘em and weep. :smuggo:

Are you excited to have that many Pokemon with you?

Incidentally, if you check your Pokedex, you’ll see how many Pokemon you’ve found and how many you’ve caught. I’m off to Accumula Town! The professor is waiting.

Incidentally, you don’t have to win this competition. You can fully just trudge through Route 1 with one Pokemon, Bianca will ask if you’re lonely, and then everything proceeds as normal, except that you just got dunked on by a girl wearing an apple on her head.

Oh. Hey, a phone call!

Cheren walks off and we’re all left to wallow in the awkwardness of a four person group chat where only two of the participants said anything. I’m sure that’s a relatable feeling.

Merely a short jaunt from Nuvema Town, we hit our second town, Accumula! I have no idea why they even bothered building two towns this close together, but this isn’t Civilization V and I can’t critique their tile choices.

By the way, due to request, music link!

Did they erect that sign as soon as they founded it? Were they that confident? I’m sure you can see Juniper right over there, but in true LP fashion, I’m going to bullshit around and chat with the locals before progressing the plot.

The tall grass isn’t the only place we’ll find Wild Pokemon, but this advice is sound.

Jagen’s honored but I’m sure Marth hates it. Maybe he’s referring to Lillipup?

Don’t rush me.

Cheren greatly disapproves of my LP pacing.

...There isn’t much to do in Accumula Town, is there?

:psyduck:

Not after that.

This town is terrible.

This guy’s hyping up the rest of the LP for me. I appreciate that.

What a nice guy!

I try to keep several Pokeballs on me at all times. You never know when you’ll run across an interesting Pokemon, especially if a shiny comes your way.

Naturally, we go Grass to rep our pal Prince Marth.

Don’t worry, kid, I have extensive experience in playing rock-paper-scissors minigames. No matter how much I try to forget Rune Factory 2, it never leaves me alone!

Trying to exit town through this tunnel results in these mysterious hooded figures blocking our path. That’s clearly something we’ll need The Plot to take care of, so let’s stop messing with Juniper and check in.

Don’t you feel better as soon as you walk through the door?

This jingle actually does cheer me up. :unsmith:

OK, let’s start your tour!

Bianca, you were already here. Do you know what waiting is?

A Pokemon Center is a truly incredible place! Do you know why? Because your Pokemon can be healed! And what’s more, it’s absolutely free! A Pokemon Center is a Trainer’s best friend! Here, give it a try.

Juniper will not allow us to squirrel our way out of this tutorial. Not that we’d really want to, this is pretty essential knowledge.

The nurse places the Poke Balls on the...uh...healing machine? It works its magic in one short animation.

I don’t think this little speech has ever been changed, and it doesn’t need to be. My nostalgia strings are getting tugged on really hard in this part of the update.

You can store Pokemon in your PC Boxes or select Pokemon stored in your PC Boxes to take along with you. In addition, if you catch a new Pokemon while you have six Pokemon traveling with you, the Pokemon you just caught is sent automatically to the PC network! Surprising, isn’t it? Amazing, even. Here’s something else that’s cool. If you select my PC, I’ll evaluate the progress you’ve made on your Pokedex!

Professor...

That’s some existential poo poo right there.

Very good, Bianca. That’s a great observation! Good question, and I’d like to say more, but for now, just ignore that and go ahead and use the PC. “Someone” is the person who made the Pokemon Storage System. ...Someone I’m sure you’ll meet someday! OK, let’s move on!

The storage system has been reinvented like five times at this point. It does keep getting better, though! We’ll be able to store hundreds of Pokemon in there.

This is the place to buy useful items and sell the ones you don’t need anymore! That gentleman over there will help you with a smile!

from here it doesn’t look like he has a mouth, but alright.

New to Black and White, the Poke Mart is now part of the Poke Center. That saves some time, so it’s a welcome feature.

So, let’s wrap this up. I’ve given you the basics of being a Trainer! I’m going to head back to Nuvema Town. One final thing...

She’s a friend of mine from long ago, and I’m sure she’ll help you on your way! Best of luck! I hope that your journeys prove to be the adventure of a lifetime!

That’s cool, but I’m distracted by potential shopping now.

Potions and Poke Balls are definitely important. Umm...thinking...

Lucky for Bianca, that’s literally all they’re selling at this counter right now. I pick up five of each.

The other counter has Mail! Mail doesn’t do anything, but you can write messages with preapproved words on it and give it to a Pokemon, and then trade it to a friend or over the internet.

This was of course mostly just used to try and find ways to make rude jokes so Nintendo doesn’t include it anymore.

Speaking of multiplayer features, that’s what the whole upper floor is dedicated to! Sadly, as I mentioned before, they are no longer functional since Nintendo WFC was taken down. No global trading in this LP, I’m afraid.

That’s the Pokecenter toured. They all have the same layout, and there’s one in each major town.

Outside, a commotion! Maybe they all finally looked into Patrat’s terrifying visage.

This guy’s pretty chill about it.

Identical people with goofy costumes and ostentatious flags? I’m sure this is on the level.

There’s like, one school per region in Pokemon, you can’t be tossing around four syllable words like that.

I’m sure most of you believe that we humans and Pokemon are partners that have come to live together because we want and need each other. However...Is that really the truth? Have you ever considered that perhaps humans only assume that this is the truth? Pokemon are subject to the selfish commands of Trainers...They get pushed around when they are our “partners” at work…

This crowd is pretty easily swayed.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, Pokemon are different from humans. They are living beings that contain unknown potential.

I think he means Unown potential. :v:

They are living beings from whom we humans have much to learn.

But I just got these!

Then, and only then, will humans and Pokemon truly be equals. Everyone, I end my words here today by imploring you to consider the relationship between people and Pokemon...and the correct way to proceed. We sincerely appreciate your attention.

They wander off, but something about Ghetsis’ coat looks familiar…

Everyone kinda wanders off here as well, except for…

Oh, don’t worry, he says that a lot.

Slow down. You talk too fast. And what’s this about Pokemon...talking? That’s an odd thing to say.

: Yes, they’re talking. Oh. Then, you two can’t hear it, either… How sad.

We were asked to complete the Pokedex, and we just left on our journey. My main goal is to become the Champion, though.

: The Pokedex, eh? So… You’re going to confine many, many Pokemon in Poke Balls for that, then. I’m a Trainer, too, but I can’t help wondering...Are Pokemon really happy that way?

Surprise miniboss!

N’s coming at us with only one Pokemon. If you did any leveling on Route 1 at all, you’ll be fine.

His Purrloin is a Dark type, so we don’t have anything supereffective against it. As I’m sure you’ve noticed, each Pokemon has one or two types, and each type is weak to or strong against different other types. Some types of attacks can’t damage certain Pokemon with other types at all!

I’ll post a link to the type chart so new folks can get that info, but for now, just know that this thing is far, far beefier than Hypnotoad at his measly Level 4.

Thankfully, Leer isn’t affected by level at all, so we can use Hypnotoad to soften this thing up.

It responds by...lowering Hypnotoad’s attack. Great tactic, N.

I managed to get about three Leers in, which should let Marth do some work.

One Vine Whip’s already got N’s Purrloin on the ropes.

It wasn’t exactly a complicated battle.

Trainer battles do give double the experience of their wild counterparts, though, so we get a nice boost from taking N down.

Yow indeed.

: I have to change the world for Pokemon, because they’re my friends.

...Well we’re going to want to keep an eye out for that guy.

But I’m not going to worry about it. Trainers and Pokemon help each other out! Listen, I’m going on ahead. I want to battle the Gym Leader in the next town--Striaton City. Aim to battle Gym Leader after Gym Leader. The best way for a Trainer to become stronger is to challenge the Gym Leaders in each area.

And, after giving us some additional prodding as to our next destination, Cheren dips out as well. Heading for Striation will have to wait until next time, though.

Bonus (?) Content (?):

Have a transparent version of Patrat’s Horrifying Eyeballs. Do what you will with them.

It’s too late for Cheren.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 16, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
quick note: Jolly lowers special attack and raises speed (and that's extremely unintuitive with the way they label them in the games, imho).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Lillipup is a good dog and it seems like it's a permanent team member? Well, it doesn't matter what you use, they're all good dogs.

I also usually forget to mention the phrase to determine their IVs, since it's pretty much useless.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Leraika posted:

quick note: Jolly lowers special attack and raises speed (and that's extremely unintuitive with the way they label them in the games, imho).

Whoops, thank you.

Crosspeice posted:

Lillipup is a good dog and it seems like it's a permanent team member? Well, it doesn't matter what you use, they're all good dogs.

I wouldn't mind using Lillipup at all, I love it's evos.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Jagen sees EVERYTHING.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Fun fact: N really does speak quickly. His text scrolling is always one level faster than your setting, even on fast.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Extremely minor yet adorable point: telling the pianist or drummer to play adds their instrument into the background music! Here - it's nothing dramatic, but I quite enjoy it.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

If/when you catch a Deerling, L. H., name it Darjeeling for me. It's my fave from the generation.

Dybael posted:

Extremely minor yet adorable point: telling the pianist or drummer to play adds their instrument into the background music! Here - it's nothing dramatic, but I quite enjoy it.

B/W did do fun stuff with their music like that. There are a few other examples of diegetic audio coming up that I loved when I first played.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
We should commit to the gimmick and give a Fire Emblem name to every pokemon we catch.

yeah ok not really.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well you're not invited to my fire emblem party.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Fun fact: N really does speak quickly. His text scrolling is always one level faster than your setting, even on fast.

Dybael posted:

These are both really cool things I failed to notice!

New Wave Jose posted:

We should commit to the gimmick and give a Fire Emblem name to every pokemon we catch.

please, we aren't smash bros.

Canonically what's under Steve's hair.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Go Hypnotoad!

I love that stupid call screen where the professor and Jagen strike a pose and Cher en and Bianca just stare blindly ahead with those non red eyes.

Regardless This part already cements why Bianca and Cher en are the best rivals. Especially compared to the X/Y "rivals".

Sometimes pokemon come with such great names that it feels like a waste to rename them. Lilly pup is pretty close to that sentiment. I named mine Scruffy. :) Can we rename our Lilly pup Scruffy?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This LP is already gold. :allears:

Also I refuse to believe any actually likes Patrat.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

If I had any prizes to give I'd make this a thread contest.

Darth TNT posted:

Sometimes pokemon come with such great names that it feels like a waste to rename them. Lilly pup is pretty close to that sentiment. I named mine Scruffy. :) Can we rename our Lilly pup Scruffy?

I'll make sure to put it on the list for when we hit the Name Rater. Which thankfully isn't super far away in this game.

Solumin posted:

Also I refuse to believe any actually likes Patrat.

I had to check with an unbiased third party.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Patrat's design is pretty cool, the Pokemon itself is eh at best. It's completely outclassed by Lillipup in every way, which is on the same route. Patrat's stats are more well-rounded, which means it can take a hit better I guess, but the pupper has a fuckton of attack (and learns heavy offensive moves real quick, too), so it wins any reasonable comparison because Pokemon isn't that complicated. Oh, it's faster too.

Patrat does get a few status moves (eye-themed, of course) to make itself more interesting, but overall it's just not...good.

The evolution looks super freaky btw and there I start to dislike the design, too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

This caught me off guard when I first noticed it because I thought that Gen V had introduced an even faster text scroll speed that I missed in the options menu, only to find out that it's an exclusive trait of N.

Darth TNT posted:

And bugs in general are great in B/W.
Hello, it's me. The guy who will be doing everything he can to get Joltik into the main party.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Patrat is fine but its evolution is a fucker for reasons I'll hopefully remember to discuss when it starts showing up a bunch.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

This caught me off guard when I first noticed it because I thought that Gen V had introduced an even faster text scroll speed that I missed in the options menu, only to find out that it's an exclusive trait of N.

Hello, it's me. The guy who will be doing everything he can to get Joltik into the main party.

I see you Joltik and raise you Scolipede.

Actually just do an all bug run.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Everything about Patrat is good except for its horror show eyes.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017
Patrat is... okay, I guess... but not nearly as cute as its Gen II equivalent Sentret. Although I'm probably supposed to be equating it to Rattata because that's the Gen I first-route normal-type rodent? Even so, I still like Just A Rat But Purple better than Patrat's Just A Prairie Dog But With Demon Eyes.

I'm actually not that bothered by how many Gen V pokémon are direct analogues to Gen I pokémon. I like the thought of similar pokémon filling equivalent ecological niches in distant regions. I think Game Freak did a much better job of "what if this pokémon, but different?" with Alolan forms, though, approaching the idea from the opposite angle... still, I don't think "It's just [Gen I monster] all over again" is a valid criticism of a design. Or, well, not 'invalid' but 'incomplete'? Some analogues are more interesting than others. The intro mentioned Woobat being the Unova equivalent of Zubat, that's a more interesting analogue than Patrat is for Sentret Rattata. (At least as far as designs go... "ubiquitous cave bat" is perhaps an ecological niche the player would prefer not to see revisited...)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I got your back bro. Joltik is awesome.

Scollipede is also awesome, but horse sized centipede has already had it's time in the limelight.

Patrat's design is okay, but his evolution pisses me off. That stupid stare, that stupid tail, those stupid moves AlphaKretin hints to and that weird not quite standing on his animation he does. It all amounts to a terrible pokemon I dislike and thus I would like to see it on the team.
It's moves should prove useful to LordHippoman and it will be an opportunity to endear itself to us.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Joltik is good, and I appreciate this Joltik Appreciation Train that people are currently on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
I echo all the wishes to have a good sparky spider friend when possible, because Joltik is a good friend(and Compoundeyes Thunder is great).

Patrat is...fine I guess. I dont care for it too much, but it isn't a bad design it just exists, so I'd be more than fine if it goes in the future.

Also Gen V might have my favorite antagonists(is it right to call N that? It feels like it is since that's the case for B/W) of any game in the series.