Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Lord Hippoman is back, yay! My life has felt so empty without your sense of...whatever it is you call the opening narration.
I'll happily try and follow along as you go through Black. :)

I really liked Black and White and I liked the pokemon including Trubbish and Vanilish. :) Though I find the end evolution of Vanilish to be a little nightmare inducing with those short stubby arms and bodies merged together. :ohdear:

We're a boy and we're called Jagen
We'll take Snivy along. We can call Snivy Marth, but Serperior is a grade A pun. :(

Revolver Oshawott is overdone.

I would also like to place a vote for a Patrat in the team, we can call it Hypnotoad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Press X to be important?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
To further break from the past, B/W comes along with an excellent route 1 Pokemon. I'm inclined to try and vote it in for our Lord and Hippoman because I just love that mustachioed monster.

And bugs in general are great in B/W.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Go Hypnotoad!

I love that stupid call screen where the professor and Jagen strike a pose and Cher en and Bianca just stare blindly ahead with those non red eyes.

Regardless This part already cements why Bianca and Cher en are the best rivals. Especially compared to the X/Y "rivals".

Sometimes pokemon come with such great names that it feels like a waste to rename them. Lilly pup is pretty close to that sentiment. I named mine Scruffy. :) Can we rename our Lilly pup Scruffy?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

This caught me off guard when I first noticed it because I thought that Gen V had introduced an even faster text scroll speed that I missed in the options menu, only to find out that it's an exclusive trait of N.

Hello, it's me. The guy who will be doing everything he can to get Joltik into the main party.

I got your back bro. Joltik is awesome.

Scollipede is also awesome, but horse sized centipede has already had it's time in the limelight.

Patrat's design is okay, but his evolution pisses me off. That stupid stare, that stupid tail, those stupid moves AlphaKretin hints to and that weird not quite standing on his animation he does. It all amounts to a terrible pokemon I dislike and thus I would like to see it on the team.
It's moves should prove useful to LordHippoman and it will be an opportunity to endear itself to us.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The smugness here implies that mom has a habit of sneaking up on her son, calling him and then showing up. :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I have a strong dislike of the monkeys. They all look terrible. Pansear looks like someone left a turd on his head. The only one who looks halfway decent is Pansages evolution.

And none of them are very good either, but that wouldn't matter nearly as much if they were cool looking.

LordHippoMan posted:

Lillipup is more than pulling its weight with solid bulk and a hefty Attack stat. Lillipup is just a great Pokemon.
I love the Lillypup line. :colbert: It may be the best route 1 mon ever and yes I know Talonflame exists. But without his Hidden Ability, he's only average.
Meanwhile, my scruffy kept finding his way back into my party by tanking stuff and tearing out big chunks of HP from the opponents. It's almost like cheating.

Black Robe posted:

I still maintain you should use all three of the monkeys.

Life is suffering.

I like Lord HippoMan and will not allow anyone to force 3 monkeys on him. :colbert:

FoolyCharged posted:

Ahaha. Like the game will let us do that
Did Gamefreak really think the monkeys would be popular?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I tried to use Blitzle in my run, but it wasn't good enough. Even after becoming Zebstrika it kept dying. Show me how to Blitzle LordHippoman! Maybe rename it into Prancer or something...
Though Blitzle and Zebstrika are examples of names which are so good I'd be just as happy to keep them as is.

I liked using Basculin for Cut. There's just something funny of the mental image of using a fish to cut down trees.

Audino can, I think, be found on every route and are the best way to lvl up. Just run up and down next to the grass waiting for a shaky patch and off you go.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

ototheroh:
- there's a far cooler and cuter electric type along the line...but that's a while in, so by all means use Blitzle! Yay!

Oh right, the cute rodent. :downs:
I actually used that in the past, it's not half bad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Just as a heads up, an unfortunate family emergency just landed with me. Updates might be sparse for a bit while things are worked out here. While I get things figured out, I'm not likely to have a consistent schedule or great access to the PC I use to prepare updates, but I'm not cancelling the LP or anything. Honestly, it makes for great stress relief in tough times.

Just wanted to let y'all know that I'm alright, even if I'm not as active as usual online for a while. Thanks again for reading so far!

Don't worry about updates. Worry about family! Good luck Hippoman.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I know it's simple, but I'm also fond of the name pidove. It's a boring yet perfectly adequate name and It's exactly what fits Pidove.

Take it easy Hippoman, I enjoy your updates enough to wait forever for them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

I fully agree on lowering the evolution level - so much of gen 5 evolves way too late for their own good. I really don't understand what they were thinking, especially when they decided to put some of those Pokemon early on in the later generations that would go for about 45 levels without evolving.

Friends don't care when their friends evolve. :colbert:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Adding a vote for Timburchan

I used a Sawk myself and it served me well. Hits like a ton of bricks, was reasonably sturdy but is very slow. So now it's time for something else to shiny.

I just strongly dislike vein clown the pokemon due to it's look.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I tend to use confuse ray after hypnosis. When it wakes up it still needs to overcome confusion. :)

Also go Hypnotoad!
Herdier has no right being as good as it is.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I'm playing on Phoenix (Ho-Oh) Mode.

I'm excited to get into Pinwheel Forest, lots of potential party members there. I may bench Hypnotoad because it's kinda had its moment now, but who knows, stranger things have happened and I never plan ahead adequately.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. :colbert: On the one hand, Pinwheel forest has some awesome critters that I can't fault you for trying to use...on the other hand Hypnotoad has been with you since the beginning.
Has he been pulling his weight?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

You know not what you have wrought.

a dumb joke, you've wrought a dumb joke in the next update :v:

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that if he hadn't said anything that you wouldn't have made a dumb joke in the next update. Or were you planning on turning a new leaf in that forest update?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hurrah Pansage! Now to bench him in box99 and never look at this very real Pansage ever again.:woop:

Your Blitzle experience looks like mine so far. :v:

Okay guys sound off, that so called "whip" the Rangers are holding. Is it a whip or a pokelasso?
My vote is for lasso.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Chronische posted:

In Red/Blue you had some trainers using whips, so, hey, could be! That said, rangers don't seem like the kind of folk to use whips, so it's more likely a lasso, or even just a generic rope for emergency use.

A generic rope where they can use the Pokeball to either get is stuck behind something or just launch a Machamp up the ledge to pull them up seems like a great idea as well.
I especially like the idea that as you slowly scale the mountain this way some 10 year old comes flying by on his Pidgey. The pokemon world is so insane. :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I don't get the hate for Trubbish. Trubbish and his evolution are pretty great in all the wrong ways.

Blitzle makes me ashamed for liking Electric pokemon the best. :(

I'm also happy to still see Hypnotoad. :woop:

quote:

This is blatantly false. Bar a few exceptions, stone evolutions don't learn new moves naturally. Pokemon, teaching us not to study while stoned since 1996. :unsmith:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought that was X/Y

Golurk doesn't approve of your forgetfulness.

People like giving crap to Gen5 for a lot of designs, but there are also a whole bunch of stellar designs in this game.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

B/W introduced some cool-rear end ghosts, it's true. Most of the Unova pokedex is pretty drat good, actually.

I am ashamed to admit that I benched my own Blitzle back in the day after it evolved and still kept getting mercilessly beaten up. Maybe if I had believed in him, he would've come into his own :smith:

Considering I did the same to my blitzle I don't think it's a believe problem. Maybe all goons here work together we can pull an earthbound and pray for Hippomans Blitzle. :pray:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Well, since the update is a ways away anyway thanks to some unfortunate timing on my part, I think I'll put it to a quick thread vote.

Use Blitzle Until We're All Sick Of Blitzle And We Sub It Out For A Snowflake Or Whatever

Torn between these 2. I mean what are t he odds of finding a special snowflake to take his place. :v:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I used a Darumaka on my own playthrough, so I would like to see Sandile shine

Darumaka is pretty good though, I just hate what it looks like.

I know we don't have one yet, but we must enter our inevitable Trubbish in the musical!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I have a softspot for Electric pokemon in general. But I really like Starmie and Jolteon.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

black eagles forever see you all soon

Hippoman fielding Braviary confirmed

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

Both fossils are pretty good, in all honesty. I’ve used the bird a lot recently, so I think we should see the other tactic to winning. The secret is to use the turtle. Given fossils are rocks, this should help the Dwebble problem while not being weak to rock.

If we can throw suggestions for names, gonna vote for it to be Morton Jr.

First post nails it. Seconding this.

Sigilyph is great. I used one as well, it's fast, it hits hard and it looks neat.

I don't think Blitzle will help against dwebble, (I always hated fighting those) but what about taking on the champion at the end? Surely that would be his chance to shine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hang in there my friend, take it easy and make the right choices.