Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

Male Jagen. Oshawott named Marth.

May as well go all in on the reference. It’s even the blue starter, for crying out loud!

this is my vote. let's do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

LordHippoman posted:

I don’t think that’s really how a paper map works, but okay.

By this point (basically precisely this point, even) the Town Map's shown to actually be technological in nature, at least in supplementary materials (the anime, the TCG).

I... don't know if that's the best way to have a map that explorers/kids/kid explorers are going to be using in various possibly-dangerous places, but.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Work Up's dual Attack/Sp. Attack increasing nature doesn't come into play often, but it's still decent enough for the early game, and if you want to boost stuff (but don't want to use X items) it has decent utility; some people can use it but not Swords Dance and Nasty Plot is just. Straight up not a TM.

It certainly has a better use case than Gluttony, at least! I don't know what it's doing this early, since you flat out can't use it - the only berries that it activates for are the ones that increase your stats when you hit 25% HP, and that bumps them up to 50% HP. Not exactly useful. It gets better in Generation VII, since there's now berries that restore 50% of your HP when you hit 25% (and thus they get activated by Gluttony) so you can, if nothing else, do Belly Drum shenanigans... but that's not now.

Gluttony's pretty lame and it being on the monkeys really doesn't help their use-case.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

There's a few differences between Chansey and Audino. Namely, Audino actually has stats besides HP and Special Defense. Granted, this makes it less effective at being a wall than Chansey (because it has waaaaaaay lower HP and Special Defense as a result)...

Another huge one is that you can actually take advantage of its massive EXP yield! Chansey and Blissey technically give more EXP but from what I remember they're basically impossible to practically farm unless you specifically set it up with Secret Base shenanigans.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Hey, Focus Energy raises your critical rate to 25%! Jagen should respect that.

...Though it's outclassed by the mentioned Dire Hit, which has the benefit of not using up a move slot (though it also costs cash). The other battle items got the buff to be on-par with Swords Dance etc. in Generation VII, which actually makes them kinda handy. Right now, though, they're outclassed by Work Up. I guess X Specials work, since it's kind of a pain to get moves to raise Sp. Atk...? (...Presuming you'd even want to use buffs.)

Kind of a shame they didn't change the X Special's name this generation, since then they might have a translated joke that would actually make sense...

Also re: trade evolutions there's this, which will let you switch out the trade requirements for level requirements.

pseudoedit: yelling Timburr

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

That's because his evolutions ditch the log. obviously.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I remember the evolution animation creeping me the hell out when I first played Black.

Also I can't believe you didn't restart when Marth went down. What is this, Fates Casual mode or something?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

You were probably thinking of Poison Touch, which was introduced in this generation.

Also, minor correction for the Scope Lens: it's slightly less potent than Focus Energy/Dire Hit, being only +1 to critical hit rate rather than +2 (12.5% critical rate versus 25%).

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Legitimate question: is there ever a reason to use Max Potions, at least before Gen VII? Hyper Potions restore a massive 200 HP per use and by the time you might break 200 HP you have easy access to Full Restores, which are more expensive but also take care of statuses if they ever come up.

re: polling use Roy Darumaka, I guess, idk

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

AlphaKretin posted:

You kind of answered your own question there, they were nerfed because there wasn't. :v:

I figured, I was asking because the post before seemed to imply there was a use for 'em. :V

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

this is an amazing image and i love it dearly

Uhhhh regarding favorite Pocket Monsters that's actually really, really tough! At least picking one. There's some I can nominate, though, in no particular order:
    Beedrill
    Venusaur
    Darkrai
    Torterra
    Incineroar
    Aegislash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Unleash the power of turtle