Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Legendary Encounters/Legendary Encounters: Predator

"But Randalor, I thought you said Legendary was a bad superhero game!" I hear you cry. Well, it is. Legendary Encounters fixes the problems I had with Legendary, by making the game purely coop, with two different variants for traitor mechanics that both fit well with the Alien series. Legendary Encounters: Predator adds in the Predator movies to the mix, along with a mode where you play as the predators themselves, competing for points, and rules for playing through the Alien scenarios as the predators. They're a solid pick for co-OP deck building, that add enough variety in the modes. Plus if a predator player is killed, he nukes everyone else. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Randalor posted:

Legendary Encounters/Legendary Encounters: Predator

"But Randalor, I thought you said Legendary was a bad superhero game!" I hear you cry. Well, it is. Legendary Encounters fixes the problems I had with Legendary, by making the game purely coop, with two different variants for traitor mechanics that both fit well with the Alien series. Legendary Encounters: Predator adds in the Predator movies to the mix, along with a mode where you play as the predators themselves, competing for points, and rules for playing through the Alien scenarios as the predators. They're a solid pick for co-OP deck building, that add enough variety in the modes. Plus if a predator player is killed, he nukes everyone else. Good times.

There's also an expansion for LE: Alien which adds two new scenarios and allows you to play as the Alien Queen.

I can't remember what we agreed about whether Lanc and Brum were different enough to count as separate games.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 27, 2019

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Discord search looks like everyone aside from Big was in agreement they should be counted as the same.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Discord search looks like everyone aside from Big was in agreement they should be counted as the same.

And Big wasn't sure because he hadn't played both. I suggest we hold off on making more picks until he gives a ruling, as our consensus is that T-Bone needs to pick something different.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I'ma be honest, if all the pandemics are different and all the 18xxs are different I'm not sure why the Brasses are the same? There's mechanical differences between them beyond map & cosmetics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Talon

It’s pretty good for a fast playing SFB-style system.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOO FUUUUUUCKCKCKCKCKC

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I'ma be honest, if all the pandemics are different and all the 18xxs are different I'm not sure why the Brasses are the same? There's mechanical differences between them beyond map & cosmetics.

The real question is why are the Age of Steams the same. But that ruling was too long ago.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
if not Brass then Smolensk: Barbarossa Derailed even though THE CREATOR said it was okay to pick Brass you conniving ingrates

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I originally gave the okay to draft OG Brass separately, and after reading up on it I still agree with the decision.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

al-azad posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOO FUUUUUUCKCKCKCKCKC
Gottem

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Final Pick
Village

I was told this game was about killing your workers, so I ended up racing all my pieces into the the ground and won. A+, would kill off an entire family again.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Pick # THE END
Pax Pamir

Realized I'm missing a card game so might as well bookend my collection with another Cole title.

This is another game I've yet to play but Pax Renaissance has really stewed in my brain since learning it and I'm very much looking forward to digging into the Pax system. Pamir especially is appealing due to its departure from the Eklund tropes of racism, messy rules and godawful visual design.

Adding a map to the typical market row tableau builder really opens up the game in terms of interactivity compared to mostly solitarily games of efficiency and combo building like London, Glory to Rome and every Tom Lehmann game (Not that these games aren't great for what they set out to do.) Top this off with several distinct possible win conditions and limited resources and actions to really create an intriguing final product.

Hoping to get a chance to play the first edition soon before the new big purple box shows up at my door.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KvC final pick: Masters of Commerce / Panic on Wall Street

I needed a casual/party game, and over the years this has gone over by far the best, but only if you have an odd number of players, and you can make lots of noise.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Pick #Endgame
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

The best LCG that ever was and will be. Take your favourite LotR heroes (from the books) and go on epic quests to slay orcs, trolls and spiders. And bats and mosquitoes and everything else that moves in the wild, really. Play solo, with 2, 3 or 4 (though best with 2 imo). With all the expansion packs that come with it, a real value pick for my last one.

By taking this pick I realize I am lacking a farming-themed eurogame, which I deeply regret. I'll have to settle for the grain/cows in Le Havre.

cjpsmith
Nov 19, 2018
Pick Final
No Thanks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

cjpsmith posted:

Pick Final
No Thanks

I'm honestly shocked this went to the final round.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Since Tek is a jerk and drafted Talon, a pick I was not expecting from anyone, I will have to go with runner up Gaslands. Basically the proper successor to Car Wars and playable with cheap toys purchased at the dollar store.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

al-azad posted:

Since Tek is a jerk and drafted Talon, a pick I was not expecting from anyone, I will have to go with runner up Gaslands. Basically the proper successor to Car Wars and playable with cheap toys purchased at the dollar store.

quality choice and glad to see it get some love

Dancer
May 23, 2011
A bit too sleepy and tipsy to give an actually good explanation, but: Inhuman Conditions.

This game has offered unique experiences, in a shockingly tiny and accessible package. You get to do a bit of role-playing, ever so slightly guided (if you need it), but with plenty of room for improv, and it's over very quickly, which offers you some pressure to perform, while not trapping you in any unpleasant situation for too long. I've had a great deal of fun with this game with the more creatively inclined of my regular gaming groups, and it's even proved useful on this thing called "dates", when I judged that the other person wouldn't be receptive to Patchwork (remember "friends", goons? We talked about that a few picks ago. This is sorta the next step from that. Don't worry you'll get there some day).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pick 221 - Jaipur

This is my wife's favorite game and we've played it the most out of anything we have together. We've taken it on vacation, play it over dinner, while getting coffee, etc. I don't really enjoy playing it with anyone else for those reasons, but besides being a sentimental pick, it's a fantastic game with tight set collection and hand management with push your luck elements. Love it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Last pick: Bios Megafauna

I always imagine the Jumanji drums when I play this game. Epic in scope. Spore. Random as hell. You can make dick butt. It’s good.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
...oh gently caress it.

Pick # 223
Yomi

Yomi's a game i liked enough to try and understand fighting games. Which convinced me to watch EVO in 2014 (with countblanc's help explaining poo poo). Which got me to pick up Guilty Gear. Yadda yadda, I'm posting this last pick from a local fgc tournament. Yomi gave me an entirely separate hobby and entirely new friends, and that means it has to go on a draft list that basically mutated into "mostly two player games that were personally significant to gutter owl." And I apparently still enjoy the game enough to play in International Yomi League and Yomi Summer Smash every year. Persephone main 4 lyfe.

And that's my excuse for putting two Sirlin games on this list, which has gotta be a loss condition of some sort. Why didn't you take this bullet for me, Tekopo. I thought we were friends.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 28, 2019

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
hooray

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Just for posterity

App isn't attaching the photo but I called Gutter or Tek taking Yomi or Exceed this round. Chill back me up here

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
They got this all screwed up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pick #224
Smartphone Inc

I had to think a while before making this pick because there's still a lot of games I'd like to have picked: Amyitis, from the artist of Caylus; Tadmor, a clever worker placement game which gets bonus points for not being set in mediaeval France; Lisboa for a second Lacerda; and Paolo Mori's Libertalia and Dogs of War, that latter being the best game CMON ever published.

In the end, though, I decided to cap off with a lesser known but very interesting medium economic game from Russia. Players take the part of technology companies trying to get the biggest share of profits from the global smartphone market across five generations of production. To do this you produce phones, set your prices, develop new technologies for your phones and factories, establish local offices and of course sell phones. Phones sell to two classes of people: the ones who don't care about features but won't pay more than $X, and the ones who will pay anything if you have the feature they want. Each region has a number of people of each kind, and there's a bonus for selling the most phones in a region that increases as more companies show up to compete. The clever part is that all of this is done by manipulating two double-sided 2x3 grids of icons which must overlap. You produce one phone for every space you cover, then perform the remaining visible actions - not all of which are available in the numbers you might want. It's a neat balancing act where all the usual accounting is abstracted out of the equation. Time is the real currency; every phone you produced but couldn't sell is a missed opportunity to do something else.

The other clever part is how the game deals with player counts less than the maximum. In a 5-player game the whole map is free to expand into, but rather than shrink it with fewer players you instead add retailers to the map. You can't expand into a region with a retailer, but you can set up a contract with them to sell your phones for you. For this you get a bonus in the form of points and a one-shot special ability. This makes the game feel and play very differently, but in a way that makes you realise how and why the same strategies can't be used at varying player counts.

Overall, I have been exceptionally impressed with this game. It scratches the same itch as Arkwright in less than half the time, and it's thinky without being overburdened. It's also very handsomely produced.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I have something to take care of, but I will update and run down the final phase of this game in a few hours

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Excited to accept my gold medal, thank you all for playing along :v:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Google doc still has mansions of madness incorrectly missing the 2nd edition label, and pandemic instead of pandemic + legacy 1/2, and it can’t be edited anymore.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s hard dumb that brass burn and lanc are diff games but pandemic/l1/l2 are all one pick lol

Big you failed us all

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, everything is up to date.

A question that existed since the beginning of the draft: how is this to be evaluated? At first, I didn't have an idea myself. Because there really is not a resolution phase where we can observe the collections play out, any evaluation metric is going to be subjective. It was a criticized subject, but I really enjoyed watching all of you define best in your own terms. I thought that the sandbox gave each of you the creative space to do some really cool things. As such, having a single vote felt too mundane to determine a victor here.

With that in mind, here is what I decided upon. You will each vote for each other in three weighted categories: Best Collection - 50%, Most Stylish Collection - 25%, Most Well Rounded Collection - 25%. In addition, you will be using a ranked voting procedure where you vote for your top 3 choices in each category. Your rank one choice will receive three points in that category, rank two will receive two points, and rank three will receive one point. Each player will have their three category scores totaled, weighted, and summed to achieve their final score. Here is a small example: Player A received 10 points in Best Collection, 20 points in Stylish Collection, and 13 points in Well Rounded Collection. That player's score will be (10*0.50) + (20*0.25) + (13*0.25) = 13.25 points. You can vote for the same player in multiple categories, but you cannot vote for yourself.

In addition, please submit a single choice in Player - Game format for the following superlatives:
Best Explanation - Which game's justification speech did you most enjoy?
Best Value Pick - Which pick do you think generated the most bang compared to where it was selected in the draft?
Most Surprising Pick - Self explanatory, but which pick did you find the most shocking, good or bad?

PM your picks to me, preferably through here, but Discord works fine as well. If you have neither of those, we can work out something. After you decide amongst yourselves, we can let the peanut gallery both here and maybe reddit with the names filed off take a swing. Here is a template that you can copy paste:

code:
[b]Best Collection[/b]
1. Player A
2. Player B
3. Player C

[b]Most Stylistic Collection[/b]
1. Player A
2. Player B
3. Player C

[b]Most Well Rounded Collection[/b]
1. Player A
2. Player B
3. Player C

[b]Best Explanation[/b]
1. Player A - Game 

[b]Best Value Pick[/b]
1. Player A - Game

[b]Most Surprising Pick[/b]
1. Player A - Game

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Alright, everything is up to date.

The google doc and the list in the second post are not up to date with what I mentioned earlier on this page.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vote for my JoCo explanation post. I was supposed to make a funny Neuland post as well but somebody took it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Google doc still has mansions of madness incorrectly missing the 2nd edition label, and pandemic instead of pandemic + legacy 1/2, and it can’t be edited anymore.

Shadow225 posted:

While they are different mechanically, the nature of being a legacy game in the same series does kind of present an odd situation. As such, I am fine with treating seasons 1 and 2 as the same entry.

For the first like...4 games. Add also that you can't really play base game one you've completed the board (major failing on dev part imo) without some house rules/good memories in play. Basically, what BL said here:

Anywho, Tasty Lemon Drops is up

I was under the impression that you were drafting Pandemic Legacy Seasons 1 and 2. It was either that or base Pandemic plus the expansions unique to that entry (On the Brink, In the Lab, etc).
I added the 2E label to Mansions of Madness.

For the spreadsheet, Dancer will have to unlock that and edit those two things. I would post my spreadsheet, but I can't through the forums. I also can't access Google Docs in my current situation.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Here is the unofficial crowd poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17905961

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I was under the impression that you were drafting Pandemic Legacy Seasons 1 and 2. It was either that or base Pandemic plus the expansions unique to that entry (On the Brink, In the Lab, etc).
I added the 2E label to Mansions of Madness.

For the spreadsheet, Dancer will have to unlock that and edit those two things. I would post my spreadsheet, but I can't through the forums. I also can't access Google Docs in my current situation.

Alright, legacy 1+2 it is

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Behold the Tower of Power:

Missing are Churchill, Le Havre and Vinhos, because those are all games close friends of me own and I'd feel too silly to ask (and drive an hour) to borrow them for a dumb photo.

Please disregard the box of Android in the bottom right

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will have my votes in this evening.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh are we posting draft collections now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I knew it