Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
There's not enough anime in the picture for that to be Chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Fellis posted:

Here is the unofficial crowd poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17905961

Where's "none of the above"

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Less edge than the downfall meme, try again

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Post your list

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Wrong thread

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

e: shouldn't post this before drafters finish voting.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Ok but where are the trains

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Bottom Liner posted:

Post your list

Sorry my board game collection fantasy draft had 14 people so it wouldn't be fair to compare.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Still waiting on votes from Jedit, ketchup, and Cthulhu Dreams

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Shame!

Shame!

Shame!

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Gonna post what votes I have if I don't have all of them in the next day or so.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, I have 14 of 16. One person abstained, and another is either abstaining of just didn't get them into me.

Before I reveal things, I just want to thank you for participating. This is probably the most fun that I have had on the forums in my decade here. Lots of fun discussions were had, and I have already picked up one game with another few maybe in the mix as well as recommendations through the selections. You also made my job easy by holding each other accountable, which is something that impressed me. I hope that the few rulings I made as arbiter were fair and did not upset the balance too much.

Best Explanation
al-azad - Galaxy Trucker 1
Chill la Chill - John Company 1
Chill la Chill - Stephenson's Rocket 1
cjpsmith - Arkham Horror 1
Dog Cop - Coup 1
Gutter Owl - Magic Realm 3
Gutter Owl - Patchwork 1
Gutter Owl - Tragedy Looper 2
nimby - Archipelago 1
Tekopo - Zendo 1

Best Value Pick
al-azad - Quartermaster General 1
Dancer - Gloomhaven 2
Dancer - Resistance 1
ketchup vs catsup - Food Chain Magnate 1
ketchup vs catsup - Pandemic Legacy 1
nimby - LOTR LCG 1
Tasty Lemon Drops - Village 1
T-Bone - Brass Lancashire 2 (giving it here because ketchup is one of the 2 that didn't vote so his score is slightly inflated)
T-Bone - Dominion 1
T-Bone - Magic: The Gathering 1
Tekopo - Colonial Twilight 1
Tekopo - Zendo 1

Most Surprising Pick
al-azad - Gaslands 1
cjpsmith - Arkham Horror 4
Jedit - Brass: Birmingham 1
Jedit - Caverna 1
Jedit - Orleans 1
Randalor - Pendragon 1
Tekopo - Zendo 5

Best Collection:
al-azad 3
Bottom Liner 9
Chekans 3 16 7
Chill la Chill 10
cjpsmith 3
Cthulhu Dreams 2
Dancer 6
Dog Cop 19
Gutter Owl 11
Jedit 3
ketchup vs catsup 2
nimby 4
Randalor 0
Tasty Lemon Drops 3
T-Bone 1
Tekopo 1

Most Stylish Collection
al-azad 2
Bottom Liner 2
Chekans 3 16 1
Chill la Chill 11
cjpsmith 6
Cthulhu Dreams 12
Dancer 2
Dog Cop 3
Gutter Owl 19
Jedit 2
ketchup vs catsup 6
nimby 6
Randalor 4
Tasty Lemon Drops 0
T-Bone 2
Tekopo 6

Most Well-Rounded Collection
al-azad 10
Bottom Liner 8
Chekans 3 16 6
Chill la Chill 0
cjpsmith 6
Cthulhu Dreams 8
Dancer 9
Dog Cop 5
Gutter Owl 4
Jedit 5
ketchup vs catsup 7
nimby 1
Randalor 0
Tasty Lemon Drops 3
T-Bone 0
Tekopo 12

Draft Scores
al-azad 4.5
Bottom Liner 7
Chekans 3 16 5.25
Chill la Chill 7.75
cjpsmith 4.5
Cthulhu Dreams 6
Dancer 5.75
Dog Cop 11.5
Gutter Owl 11.25
Jedit 3.25
ketchup vs catsup 4.25
nimby 3.75
Randalor 1
Tasty Lemon Drops 2.25
T-Bone 1
Tekopo 5

Congratulations to the victor: Dog Cop!

With that, my reign is over. Peanut gallery, the floor is yours now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm slightly alarmed that I got three different noms in Most Surprising Pick, particularly that it was my first three picks, and most of all about Brass.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
I'd like to thank the academy,

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
easily the best value drafter, a huge victory

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I’m happy to run away with the popular vote. A goon draft for the people.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I didn't vote for Dog Cop in the straw poll because I haven't played most of those games. However, his list has the most games I want to try, so a worthy winner.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Was this a case of everyone voting thinking, "I can't vote for my own list so I should vote for the worst one to improve my own odds. Wait! I'll vote for the second worst in case someone else has this thought."?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Can we get the Rutibex score of everyone's picks? Who has the best overall price/weight ratio?

(note: don't actually do this)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Trasson posted:

Can we get the Rutibex score of everyone's picks? Who has the best overall price/weight ratio?

(note: don't actually do this)

T-Bone took Magic, so I think he wins the Golden Cereal Box award automatically.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Shadow225 posted:

Dog Cop 11.5
Gutter Owl 11.25

:negative:

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
What's my prize? I hope it's not Zendo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got third. Nowhere to go but up. First? Nowhere to go but down.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Best Explanation
Gutter Owl - Magic Realm 3

Very legit.

Best Value Pick
T-Bone - Brass Lancashire 2 (giving it here because ketchup is one of the 2 that didn't vote so his score is slightly inflated)

Getting a bit of a free ride here because of the rules misunderstanding, but he did get 4 of the votes for best value.

Most Surprising Pick
cjpsmith - Arkham Horror 4
Tekopo - Zendo 5

Arkham Horror is an atrocity, Zendo was clearly the most surprising pick. Picking Arkham Horror wasn't a surprising pick, it was just a terrible pick. Zendo caused everyone to spazz out and post memes and was pretty wild.

Best Collection:
Bottom Liner 9
Chill la Chill 10
Dog Cop 19
Gutter Owl 11

Most Stylish Collection

Chill la Chill 11
Cthulhu Dreams 12
Gutter Owl 19

I don't understand why my collection is stylish?

Most Well-Rounded Collection
al-azad 10
Bottom Liner 8
Cthulhu Dreams 8
Dancer 9
Tekopo 12

Gotta pay this.

Draft Scores
Dog Cop 11.5
Gutter Owl 11.25

Close

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I had fun doing this. If this happens again, I would prolly sit it, and I hope others who participated this time round will as well, just to see what other people come up with after you get through the top 30 or so games. It doesn't help my list that I was just making quick picks because I was swamped at work or dealing with the worst part of a head cold when my turns came up, so I could keep the draft moving instead of bogging down like it did with SOME people. You know who you are :colbert:.

Edit: Or a "reverse draft" would be interesting, try to draft the worst games and see what people come up with.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Reverse draft would not be interesting me thinks because you could pull like 20 variants of Munchkin or Rutibex's grick clone or someone's homebrewed SPANC but without the American censorship!!! .

If someone could work out parameters for an auction, that would be fun, but good luck there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Do another goon draft but ban all of the SA top 100 or any game newer than say 2013. That would be neat.

SAgoons on BGG for the rankings https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/SAGoons?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have more than enough clearclaw favorites to draft for a non-top 100 anything :smug: - unless Neuland has suddenly become a favorite.

Auction would work like lost cities rivals but it would be way too much for 14 players.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I did a lot worse than I thought I would. And so did the list I voted for as best. Guess my taste is wildly different!

I think a 'worst game' draft could work, but would need a minimum number of reviews or something to differentiate between 'real' games and lovely one-off clones/cash-ins.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I think the way a worst draft would work the best is restricting choices to a subset of good-ish games like BGG top 1000. You can’t give the absolute worst games, but there are so many terrible games that it wouldn’t be interesting if they were allowed.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A worst game list wouldn't work because whoever picks first will go with Time Stories and instantly win :smug:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

al-azad posted:

A worst game list wouldn't work because whoever picks first will go with Time Stories and instantly win :smug:

Munchkin + CAH combo would beat anything.

The main problem with a terrible games draft is that I've played some obscure terrible games that are going to be obscure because they were terrible. So in essence we'd be picking mediocre games that are perceived as terrible because we compare them with good/great games. But while Munchkin is a terrible game if you have any kind of standards, there are some truly terrible games out there that are a lot worse.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was thinking with less rigid rules regarding what counts as a "copy" and what doesn't. So all of the -opoly games count as 1, all of the munchkin games count as 1, all of the CaH clones count as one, and so forth and so forth.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The only humor in a worst game draft would be someone taking round 1 Zendo

after that it'd just be a lot of "yep, that's a lot of bad games"

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

nimby posted:

I did a lot worse than I thought I would. And so did the list I voted for as best. Guess my taste is wildly different

You had the best pick in the 3rd round, closely over AoS. First round was a brutal choice between you and T-Bone.

I looked to see who had the picks most agreeing with me (best pick per round, but slightly adjusted for overall variety), T-Bone won 3-2-2 so there was no rchandra clone in.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Randalor posted:

I was thinking with less rigid rules regarding what counts as a "copy" and what doesn't. So all of the -opoly games count as 1, all of the munchkin games count as 1, all of the CaH clones count as one, and so forth and so forth.

Go the other way and have a draft from just Monopoly, Munchkin and CAH clones.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Well, people were trying to have diverse collections so it might be interesting to see what truly unplayable, unheard of and forgotten trash people could dredge up. I mean, I would still probably first pick What Do You Meme?, but then you gotta mix it up with stuff like Mag Blast and Harbour.

Thinking about this makes me realize that it's been a while since I played an actually bad game.

:ninja: The secret tech first pick might be Machi Koro.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

We could make it a “worst game I own” draft.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Triskelli posted:

We could make it a “worst game I own” draft.

Well I’d instantly lose since I only have good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Well I’d instantly lose since I only have good games.