Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I too agree that Mage Knight is now bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ketchup vs catsup posted:

KvC pick #1: Food chain magnate

I might be more excited for the expansion than any other expansion ever.

Yeah but your username contractually requires that you be excited.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First round, three Vlaada's down. Will Tekopo snatch Dungeon Petz or Space Alert as a first pick? Who wants money in on this

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nah I think he's going for something else. Can't say what though, even though I'm not in the draft.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization

Why did you do this to me. This is my most played game ever (mostly on the app) and I still love it. If I had to pick just 1 game that I'd be allowed to ever play, it'd probably be this one. I thought it'd be safe to let it go until my 2nd pick, so now I hate you.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Round # 01
Pick #12
Roads and Boats

Easily one of the best resource production/management games I've ever had the pleasure to play. Combining resource production chains with blatant theft from your opponents production centers, and simultaneous turns makes the game fast-paced enough that there won't be much downtime between turns. Plus the use of a plastic overlay to draw roads on means that you can write out your specific distribution chains, or just doodle tiny woodcutters or fishermen while waiting for the slow player to finish his turn. Also, the way you make more donkeys (the early resource movers) is to get two donkeys alone in a field, put on some sensual music and a candlelit dinner, then after some light foreplay, they make a new donkey. No, seriously, why am I having to explain where baby donkeys come from?

Also, this is one of my wife's favorite games alongside Keyflower, and if I didn't take it when I had the chance, she would never let me heard the end of it.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 13, 2019

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Root is another game that I am surprised to go first round. The combination of the shine wearing off and being kind of out of the wheelhouse of most goons here made it seem more like a 3rd ish round pick. I'm not mad at making statement picks, though.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

nimby posted:

Why did you do this to me. This is my most played game ever (mostly on the app) and I still love it. If I had to pick just 1 game that I'd be allowed to ever play, it'd probably be this one. I thought it'd be safe to let it go until my 2nd pick, so now I hate you.

Sorry! You can pick the original still though, unless the consensus is they're one entry.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Shadow225 posted:

Root is another game that I am surprised to go first round. The combination of the shine wearing off and being kind of out of the wheelhouse of most goons here made it seem more like a 3rd ish round pick. I'm not mad at making statement picks, though.

The people that aren't hot on it don't tend to hate it, and the people that like it are hard fans, so I can see it. It's also probably the biggest release of '18 and fresh on everyones' minds from the Kickstarter.

I'm curious when and what the first dexterity and abstract games will be.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Sorry! You can pick the original still though, unless the consensus is they're one entry.

The rules say that all versions of the game count unless you can make a good case as to why it'd be seperate. While TtA and TtA: A New Story have some mechanical differences, they're still too similar in my eyes to count as different games. Plus after playing with the good changes made in the new edition, I don't know if I could go back to original TtA.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Bottom Liner posted:

Gutter Owl posted:

Pick # 01
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Root is both very good & very in the public consciousness currently.

Plenty of time for niche picks down the road.

also paging T-Bone it's your pick

DogCop fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 11, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I beg forgiveness

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The people that aren't hot on it don't tend to hate it, and the people that like it are hard fans, so I can see it. It's also probably the biggest release of '18 and fresh on everyones' minds from the Kickstarter.

I'm in this to hate draft. Now that you've revealed your thoughts, my next pick before you may be a big abstract game that starts with a "T."

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tekopo posted:

I too agree that Mage Knight is now bad

Wait why is Mage Knight now bad? Heck, that would've probably been my first pick...

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

al-azad posted:

I'm in this to hate draft. Now that you've revealed your thoughts, my next pick before you may be a big abstract game that starts with a "T."

Tcheckers?

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I have not played TTA, but unless someone can make a stellar argument that the two are mechanically unique in a way that isn't just rebalanced, I consider them the same entry.

alansmithee posted:

Wait why is Mage Knight now bad? Heck, that would've probably been my first pick...

Mage Knight has always been bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think it's always been a bit overstated, but Mage Knight always felt a little bit too clunky for me and none of the ways to play it seem to work perfectly. I think it's a decent game but I do think it's one of Vlaada's weaker offerings, for all the love that it gets.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

As an outside observer who also runs VlaadaCon, TTA and nTTA are one entry.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MK is a glorious mess and could really use a 2.0 but I’m still hyped for the app version to handle all the work.

al-azad posted:

Through the Desert is a good pick :)

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 11, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And on the Mage Knight side, I had a blast playing it solo for a few weeks, and desperately want the app to have a robust solo mode, and don't really need to play it with anyone else again with a physical copy.

Hmm. Would star trek frontiers be a separate entry?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mage Knight is cool and good. It’s a hex and counter wargame with cards and perfect info instead of dice. But considering the themesnd mechanics, people coming at it from either side will bounce off. It’s ridiculously easy to play, but you need to have the mind to tabulate +/- modifiers for attacks repeatedly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

al-azad posted:

Wow Twilight Imperium is a bold pick

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Wow Twilight Imperium is a bold pick

You misspelled Totaler Krieg.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This is an easy Dominion for me considering what kind of expansion content I get and how much I like the game.

e: of the picks so far, nTTA (granted I play it almost exclusively online) and Keyflower are both in my top 10 games of all-time. Gloomhaven is right there on the border of top 10.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 11, 2019

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

This is an easy Dominion for me considering what kind of expansion content I get and how much I like the game.

Dang, thought it was going to survive until my pick!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TI4 may actually end up on my draft but I'm more into beautiful games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pick #14: Tigris & Euphrates

There aren't any games yet that have been picked that are a masterpiece such as T&E. This is completely a meta pick as well as a statement pick, because I think this draft is not just about picking your favourite games, but to get games that have withstood the test of time and still make you want to make you come back for me. I have yet to play a game of T&E that is exactly the same, and the way that people play the game can seriously impact the game-to-game experience. Picking Vlaada, a Splotter or something more recent seems to me a bit short-sighted to me, but how will you look back onto your lists in 10 or 20 years time? With regret I'm sure. This pick, on the other hand, shows that I'm in it to win it, for the long term, not the short term.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

*me looking back on Galaxy Trucker 10 years later*

Nah, still good.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Pick 15 Dungeon Petz

One of my other favorite Vlaada's since my number 1, GT, is already gone. At my table few other games have won over new players so well and had vets request to play again and again.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
*me in 2039 reaching through my 300 Dominion expansion boxes like Shredder in TMNT 2*

...village, village, village, pass

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chekans I can't believe you sniped Dungeon Petz from me wtf

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

You have fun building civilization, I'll clean the poop.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

you better hope I don't get Smolensk to the table by my next turn

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The entire game is basically everyone else hate-drafting me to the max.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Think of it as being the tastemaker and everyone else wanting a piece of that.

I ain't competing with no train games and Chill took the only wargame I care about

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tekopo posted:

The entire game is basically everyone else hate-drafting me to the max.

ever think about having worse taste huh???

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Someone hit Cthulhu Dreams with a club, I want to see what he wheels.

Roads & Boats was an interesting pick. It was my grail game for over a decade, but I almost never play it because it's impossible to table. I may have to seduce Randalor's wife.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Pick #14: Tigris & Euphrates

There aren't any games yet that have been picked that are a masterpiece such as T&E. This is completely a meta pick as well as a statement pick, because I think this draft is not just about picking your favourite games, but to get games that have withstood the test of time and still make you want to make you come back for me. I have yet to play a game of T&E that is exactly the same, and the way that people play the game can seriously impact the game-to-game experience. Picking Vlaada, a Splotter or something more recent seems to me a bit short-sighted to me, but how will you look back onto your lists in 10 or 20 years time? With regret I'm sure. This pick, on the other hand, shows that I'm in it to win it, for the long term, not the short term.

Absolutely would've been my opener if TK was out, or if Tek wasn't playing.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Roads & Boats was an interesting pick. It was my grail game for over a decade, but I almost never play it because it's impossible to table. I may have to seduce Randalor's wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Draft thread already better than main thread