Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Which one is the sexual act, the roading or the boating??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm not ashamed of this snipe

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
I've been roads and boated once before and Never Again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Fried geese and donkey indeed

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tekopo posted:

Which one is the sexual act, the roading or the boating??

the splottering

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Crokinole and Indonesia.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Pick 18 Codenames

Another Vlaada but this time it's the life of the party.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pick 19 Caylus

This was pretty much automatic after my Tigris & Euphrates, and it brings to mind a review I saw on BGG that claimed, in 2008, that nobody would remember Caylus in 10 years time. They were, of course, wrong.
Caylus is the Dominion of Worker Placement games: often repeated, but never equalled, its innovations wasted on a series of turgid medieval city-named euros that didn't truly understand what made Caylus so great.

With a power lineup of Tigris & Euphrates and Caylus, I've pretty much won the draft already, and everything else is mere details.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Vlaada will be the first designer to go at this rate. Always the goon darling.

Paging T-Bone, back up at bat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No way is prophecy, graenaland, that's a question, or any of his super obscure ones going at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Caylus? Never heard of it. I bet it's one of those vaguely themed Euros with wooden bits, desaturated art, and a disinterested cosplayer staring at you from the cover.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's time to load up

Magic: The Gathering

If I get one of every card I can keep and maintain a badass loving cube. And everyone knows that cube drafting is the best form of magic. Anyway here's a cube I actually have (some of the really expensive cards are proxied): http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/113497

Also I can sell my Alpha Black Lotus and buy all of your collections

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Round #02
Pick #21
Antiquity

A solid city-building game that actually has you build the cities and non-renewable resources. Multiple ways to win the game, Zone of Control management and mass starvation from mismanaging food sources. What's not to love?

Also, another one of my wife's favorite games. All of the Splotter games we own are hers, if you were wondering.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 13, 2019

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Round #2
Dominant Species

Probably the best area control game I've played so far, especially considering it does 6 players well. Doubling as a worker placement game adds another element of strategy and lets you plan alternatives to the move you want during other players' turns so you don't keep the game going too long. Sometimes you'll even end the round with a completely different game plan based on other players' action pawns. Having insight into what other players are thinking instead of just waiting for them to do a thing is valuable.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 12, 2019

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
Pick # 2
The Great Zimbabwe

Would have preferred Indonesia but TGZ is a very very close second.

Another game that has it all: logistics chains, player driven economy, a great turn order system & gods that break the rules in interesting ways. The balance between keeping your VR attainable while still having the tools you need is such a tough decision every play. Can easily see why many people consider this the best Splotter.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KvC pick #2: Gaia Project

Reasoning: depth, variability, multiple ways to win, plus cult magic cycling.

Edit/ thought Terra and Gaia came together. Discord says split, so I’m picking Gaia

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 12, 2019

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Pick #25
Dungeon Lords

- If I can only have one of Vlaada's games on my list, I'm happy it is this one. I would have liked TtA as well, but his games are just too good so it was probably a vain hope. I might have preferred to pick a different game as my second game, but with his designs getting picked like hotcakes, I have to do it now.

Why Dungeon Lords? As a kid I probably played through Dungeon Keeper 1&2 half a dozen times each, something about the theme just appeals to me. Vlaada did a terrific job in translating that into a boardgame form that is extremely punishing when things go wrong. Building up during each year to face the combat puzzle is excellent, it has a lot of tough choices as you try to aim for the efficient spots of the possible actions and a nice way too gently caress over your opponents by shoving a paladin in their face when they can least handle it, if you play your cards right. There's nothing better than playing around in your dungeon with your pet and your army of monsters (and ghosts).

cjpsmith
Nov 19, 2018
Pick # 26
Chess

I feel like this pick is tougher, as a lot more of the stuff I wanted went since my first go. Particularly surprised to see Broadts as the second splotter to go, given that it usually isn't the top of people's lists (although it is my favorite splotter). TGZ was next in line, but fair cop from the dog cop. TtA, Root, MtG... tough!

As I've indicated in discord, when given a no-criteria listing challenge like this, I sometimes don't know where to balance games I admire vs games I want to play. I enjoy the experience of playing games, but in many ways what I appreciate most is learning how the machine of the game operates and observing its movements. Sometimes I only actively want to play a game a few times and then never again, but I can appreciate the brilliance of the design. Indonesia, for instance, I usually don't feel like playing given the amount I've already played it, but I think it's genius, possibly the best game of Splotter's catalog. (Roads & Boats, which has more problems as an objectively beautiful piece of design, hooks me more.)

Anyway, I think chess is a giant looming presence in the board game world, and with good reason. It's got massive longevity and has been fairly robust against thousands of plays. I love that there's more and more beauty to be discovered as you learn more of the game and dig deeper into the strategy. It's obviously fantastic for competitive play.

I don't study it as much as I did a few years back, but I think it's likely the game I'd get the most out of--the most worlds to discover, in a way--if I could never play anything else again.

(I also think Go is probably a deeper and more respected game, but I've barely played Go, so I don't feel like I can pick it exclusively for its appeal to others.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

Think of it as being the tastemaker and everyone else wanting a piece of that.

I ain't competing with no train games and Chill took the only wargame I care about

Yeah I was glad goose wasn’t here cuz he’d fight for NT as well. It was a sacrificial but necessary first pick.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Randalor posted:

Pick #02
Antiquity

Damnit. Almost made this my first pick for both how great it is and it’s impact on the hobby. Uwe said it was inspiration for Agricola.

Chess is ok for its mass appeal but Shogi or Go would be more interesting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’m the only Go player who’s in the draft afaik so picking that would only be hate drafting against me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I’m the only Go player who’s in the draft afaik so picking that would only be hate drafting against me.

Ahem

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

The only reasonable way to resolve this is to play a game of go.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think the right move here was to not mention it, have me be overconfident in it lasting until the last pick,and then sniping it from me and saying “I too play Go.” It would be very anime

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pick # 27
El Grande

According to really smart people on BGG the Euro genre died with Princes of Florence and everything after that is a simulacrum claiming to be a Euro but really bogged down by overly long rules and inelegant mechanisms. This is why Caylus cannot be the best game ever because the true best game is El Grande.

There are no other area majority games. If you think there are you're wrong, there's only El Grande and El Grande-alikes. Straightforward rules, no frills, the One True(tm) turn order bidding system that leaves no room for ambiguity or other degenerate bullshit. All others get in line.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I think the right move here was to not mention it, have me be overconfident in it lasting until the last pick,and then sniping it from me and saying “I too play Go.” It would be very anime

The best/worst attacks are the ones you know are coming and can’t do anything to stop. That’s pretty anime.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

al-azad posted:

Pick # 27
El Grande

According to really smart people on BGG the Euro genre died with Princes of Florence and everything after that is a simulacrum claiming to be a Euro but really bogged down by overly long rules and inelegant mechanisms. This is why Caylus cannot be the best game ever because the true best game is El Grande.

There are no other area majority games. If you think there are you're wrong, there's only El Grande and El Grande-alikes. Straightforward rules, no frills, the One True(tm) turn order bidding system that leaves no room for ambiguity or other degenerate bullshit. All others get in line.

You just want to play with Mandingo, admit it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

No lie I think El Grande is pretty boring and I wouldn't have picked it even though it's part of the Masterpieces.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Shadow225 posted:

Speaking of first round, I will give terebikun another hour to make a pick. If he does not, I will either remove or replace him.

In hindsight, possibly a silly thing to commit to the day before my wife's birthday

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Pick 28 - Feast for Odin
Since Caylus was shamefully sniped by counter-revolutionary forces, I'll have to go with my 2nd fave WP before it gets taken. Not sure what comments to add. It's fun, has interesting systems, and I've yet to meet a person to actually dislike it. It is the heaviest game I've managed to convince people in my group to play twice in a row. The great expansion makes this juuust strong enough to muscle in to getting this early pick.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You whore that was my pick.

Pick 29 - Battlecon

I’ll post more about it after coffee

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Pick 29 - Battlecon

I’ll post more about it after coffee
:eyepop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But is this a "that was my next pick" or "phew clearly some other game in the same genre is safe"? :thunk:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

But is this a "that was my next pick" or "phew clearly some other game in the same genre is safe"? :thunk:
No it's a "why would you pick battlecon round 2" reaction.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pick 2: Chicago express

🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂🚂

Yeah that’s right. I had a nice long post written up about my second pick but I’m taking this now after T&E and El Grande are gone. Gotta stay flexible for the meta. Best entry into Winsome games, compelling as hell, and once all the Splotters and the big classics were gone I know the rest of you will start grabbing the good stuff you know are there but we’re all trying to not talk about so as to not draw attention. No.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I didn’t expect bottom to open with his favorites for the draft. Bold.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I didn’t expect bottom to open with his favorites for the draft. Bold.

trust your heart

Tekopo posted:

No it's a "why would you pick battlecon round 2" reaction.

its a sleeper hit with goons!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Okay we are now waiting for GutterOwl's next hipster-ish pick, can't wait

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

You whore that was my pick.

Is this what they mean by a "Bottom bitch"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

terebikun posted:

In hindsight, possibly a silly thing to commit to the day before my wife's birthday

Sorry mate, I made an executive decision to preserve the momentum that we had. A lot of goon project die due to lak of interest, so keeping the ball rolling was of utmost importance.

You all have done a wonderful job self regulating. I appreiate it. I'll add more commentary once I update the main post and take care of things