Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'm just hoping for some real in-the-fuzz otters to show up sometime. Maybe the evil emporer is an adorable lil otter malcontent in a big chair w a cigar.

Edit: And a hat. Evil Otter Emporer's gotta have a hat.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Pootybutt posted:

I'm just hoping for some real in-the-fuzz otters to show up sometime. Maybe the evil emporer is an adorable lil otter malcontent in a big chair w a cigar.

Edit: And a hat. Evil Otter Emporer's gotta have a hat.

God I'm tired. I read "adorable lil otter malcontent in a big Char wig".

Which. Yes. I'm down with otters in fluffy blond wigs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ahhh I have so many questions

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The possibility for hijinks and antics is so high now. :getin:

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

God I hope next episode follows through with the kidnapping/switch at the meet and greet.

That stinger...my gut reaction is the burden of dealing with a younger sibling who clearly needs a lot of attention and care? But it's Ikuhara so I'm expecting to be bamboozled.

I'd forgotten about the many uses of soba but it was also played with in Yurikuma Arashi!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Enta: I haven't seen Kazuki smile in such a long time. It's like something has changed in him.

Kazuki, dressed as Sara: Kuji you should help me dishuu ^_~* I'm such a bad girl for wanting to kidnap Sara dishuu~, I need some guuto sarakku from you~~~

i'm sorry enta but this egg is hatching

Cephas fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 3, 2019

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

All these boys be messy bitches.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Gibbering posted:

All these boys be messy bitches.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I feel like now we have a mapping of the three main characters on to

Kazuki is 'no beginning', in that I think his issue is conflicting desires - so the purity of his desire to 'connect' is suspect. So, "I want to connect, but I want to [something else]". Enta is "no end", in that he suspects his desire to connect is inherently futile - "I want to connect, but it's not meant to be". Toi is more about the immediate distance, and so 'no connection' - "I Want to Connect, but You're So Far Away "

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This show is an extended buttsex/poop joke.

Edit: I just hit the central conceit of episode 2 and :laffo: okay, this show is pretty good.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 3, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

coronatae posted:

God I hope next episode follows through with the kidnapping/switch at the meet and greet.

That stinger...my gut reaction is the burden of dealing with a younger sibling who clearly needs a lot of attention and care? But it's Ikuhara so I'm expecting to be bamboozled.

I'd forgotten about the many uses of soba but it was also played with in Yurikuma Arashi!

That might be a part of it but there is probably more to it. If Haruka is even more hosed up than he appears to be, like dying, then it could be that Kazuki is reminded and finds it painful to connect as his brother. Keeping his distance might be a sort of a defense mechanism.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cephas posted:

Enta: I haven't seen Kazuki smile in such a long time. It's like something has changed in him.

Kazuki, dressed as Sara: Kuji you should help me dishuu ^_~* I'm such a bad girl for wanting to kidnap Sara dishuu~, I need some guuto sarakku from you~~~

i'm sorry enta but this egg is hatching

I mean I agree - the pretending-to-be-Sara thing is too contrived to be an excuse - but Kazuki is clearly intentionally mimicking Sara's affect and isn't actually happy or anything. You know how fake that TV stuff gets.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I think that his happiness and energy while he's crossdressing as Sara are genuine, don't know if it's a trans situation or just really wanting to crossdress situation or something else.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If kazuki didn't enjoy being Sara on some level then he would not channel her every moment he puts the costume on. There's no need to. He just has to act the part while taking the picture. But as soon as the dress goes on he transforms into a different person, and he's very unlikely to secretly be a method actor.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Sarazanmai: I Want To Connect, But I Have No Idea What Is Happening Here

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Kiznaiver but good?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Mister Olympus posted:

Idk, this seems pretty straightforward so far, at least compared to most other Ikuhara stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ViggyNash posted:

If kazuki didn't enjoy being Sara on some level then he would not channel her every moment he puts the costume on. There's no need to. He just has to act the part while taking the picture. But as soon as the dress goes on he transforms into a different person, and he's very unlikely to secretly be a method actor.

Fair point. The whole thing makes zero sense otherwise, it’d feel like one of those contrived situations you see in trashy manga. I would assume Ikuhara has a better point than that. The “I’m doing this to connect with my brother” is a bullshit excuse, but a common one.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ene in a more general sense, there's plenty of examples of people doing so something seemingly selfless in service of selfish desires. But there is a distinction between people who do so maliciously, and cases like this where it's more of a psychological coping method.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This show is interesting, but frankly it could be complete loving garbage and I'd still tune in every week for the music. I've had that poo poo playing in my head 24/7 the past couple days.

yokubou o -> shibori tore

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This show is interesting, but frankly it could be complete loving garbage and I'd still tune in every week for the music. I've had that poo poo playing in my head 24/7 the past couple days.

yokubou o -> shibori tore

I've had teh cops' dancing theme stuck in my head for teh last couple days...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Really liked the visuals this episode. When Kazuki's granpa tells him the BIG SHOCKER the people in the room all shifted from normal to background characters. I noticed how distant he was with his family the first time they showed up but wasnt really expecting that to be the case. A kid his age will be pretty lost if that was thrust on him. Heavy poo poo, feels like an inverse of one of Penguindrums main points.

The scene immediately after with the flickering light evoking a slasher film was hilarious and a huge emotional whiplash

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 9, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wow, what a horrible grandpa

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So I was wondering when a zombie's desire would unambiguously be a fetish, guess we got there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Sara impersonation makes even less sense now. What the hell?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

So I was wondering when a zombie's desire would unambiguously be a fetish, guess we got there.
I mean all of them have been fetishes, its just this one a more common one

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

The Sara impersonation makes even less sense now. What the hell?

I feel like it makes just as much sense, it's just that now there are a couple completing explanations:

-Kazuki is trans, or

-Kazuki wants to generally stop being Kazuki regardless of any gender thing

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

I've decided that Enta is my son and I want to protect him.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean all of them have been fetishes, its just this one a more common one

Yes, they're all fetishes, but I remember seeing several explanations by others in the past that involved them not being fetishes. He just wants to be taken care of by his girlfriend (he's not into pet play), he just wants to remember being close to her (he's not into drinking her bath water), etc.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Mister Olympus posted:

I feel like it makes just as much sense, it's just that now there are a couple completing explanations:

-Kazuki is trans, or

-Kazuki wants to generally stop being Kazuki regardless of any gender thing

I swear to God if Kazuki “gets over” being trans by connecting with his family I will slap the entire country of Japan upside the head. Im still optimistic for something more nuanced than that though.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Otter cops could win more easily if they found someone whose obsession couldn't be represented by a two syllable word.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think it's a trans thing. With the scene in the latest ep I'm seeing it way more as him basically totally dissociating. The only way he can feel love is if he's someone else, and what better target to pick than an idol? Everyone loves an idol. Even your family loves them, like they can't love you.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

readingatwork posted:

I swear to God if Kazuki “gets over” being trans by connecting with his family I will slap the entire country of Japan upside the head. Im still optimistic for something more nuanced than that though.

Grapplejack posted:

I don't think it's a trans thing. With the scene in the latest ep I'm seeing it way more as him basically totally dissociating. The only way he can feel love is if he's someone else, and what better target to pick than an idol? Everyone loves an idol. Even your family loves them, like they can't love you.

Yeah this is more my view. I haven't entirely discounted the idea that there's something gender-related going on in his head, but it's also really over-the-top and desperate as a response to guilt, in the same way that stealing someone's cat is. Haruka wants to feel special and is a fan of Sara, ok I'll make it so that he has all the Sara he could ever want.

The fully changing aspect is also possibly indicative of, like... him wanting to create a "new" self entirely unburdened by everything he normally has going on

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Whoever voices Kazuki did an especially stellar job this episode. I got literal tears in my eyes when he was breaking down at the end.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, poor motherfucker. He brought this most recent stuff on himself but still.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Yo grandpa what the gently caress?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im glad he's dead

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just think of that man, living his entire life so that on his deathbed he can traumatise a grandkid by telling him he's adopted and his real mom was a slut. What a guy

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Fangz posted:

Just think of that man, living his entire life so that on his deathbed he can traumatise a grandkid by telling him he's adopted and his real mom was a slut. What a guy

On this very special Mother's Day edition of Sarazanmai,

I also like how this episode finally showed that Sara is a kappa or something herself. I'm curious where they'll go with her character after this.

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
What the hell anime, we were having fun and now im crying.