Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I kind of get the impression that Ikuhara wanted to make an anime about gay boys and butts and his lawyer was like "If you make every anal scene be about kappas, we can claim it's a show about our nation's cultural heritage and get past the censors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
i feel like ikuhara's been getting steadily more explicit with his use of motifs since utena. like the rose motif in utena remains pretty mysterious throughout the show--it resonates with various themes and images without ever fully explaining itself. it's been a while since i've watched penguindrum so i'm not super familiar with how the apples and penguins are used, but the destiny diary and the "human broiler" and the subway rail lines as predetermined fate are pretty in-your-face.

then you get to like, yurikuma and its gay dudes counterpart, sarazanmai, and everything is super in your face. the yurikuma girls are secretly tiny bears on the prowl for sweet lesbian honey but they have to pretend they're at war against lesbears or they'll be excluded from society; the sarazanmai boys are in the closetbox about their sexual orientations and turn into flamboyant kappas to express their uh... anal extraction desires.

i guess i basically think penguindrum has more in common with utena in that while a lot of it is about desires, it's also about the idea of your personal freedom to self-determination being pressed and shaped by forces that came before you. having your right to self-determination repressed is obviously part of any LGBTQ story, but in yurikuma and (presumably) sarazanmai, i'm imagining that the focus will end up being more on the actual like, self-acceptance of your who you are.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
to think the episode where Nanami becomes fascinated with a cowbell and starts doing cowlike activities at school like chewing grass and pushing a plow, and then transforms into a cow, was all just a practice run for Sarazanmai 22 years later.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

same energy

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
part of me thinks Kazuki's deal is that he's closeted trans and is like "well I GUESS the only way to be a good older brother to Haruka is to dress up as this cute girl! Ugh it's such a burden but I guess I'll have to look like a television idol every day. And go all around the city dressed like a cute girl. And take selfies in girls' clothes! It's a sacrifice but what else can be done?"

Also, Sara-chan's "Goooood moooorning~" is already stuck in my head.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

the year of moé little brothers is in

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Enta: I haven't seen Kazuki smile in such a long time. It's like something has changed in him.

Kazuki, dressed as Sara: Kuji you should help me dishuu ^_~* I'm such a bad girl for wanting to kidnap Sara dishuu~, I need some guuto sarakku from you~~~

i'm sorry enta but this egg is hatching

Cephas fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 3, 2019

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I don't know what compelled me to make this

Torimodo sa nakya
ikenai mono ga aru
(Jojo Jojo)

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Enta is dumb and stupid but he is most certainly not loving

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
i was going to say it's kinda hosed up that nobody's inviting Harukappa to become a cute little magical turtle frog with them, but then I remembered the transformation process :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
you could do a stage play of neon genesis evangelion complete with giant robot battles and it still wouldn't be as strange to me as Lion King On Ice