Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah this reminded me a lot of Penguindrum but, like, more basic? Penguindrum was a lot of introspective pining love, extreme abstract imagery, apples, crystals, broilers, the whole thing just generally had this veneer of, like, deliberate pretension about it, like it really wanted you to know how subtle it was being, all enigmas and curtains. Whereas Sarazanmai has a similar aesthetic/energy as Penguindrum but the imagery is way more on the nose (as far as we can tell right now????). And also, there's butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I finally watched it and here's my take: toxic masculinity.

You can see it in Kazuki's feigned apathy for Haruka's interests. Boys don't get to display enthusiasm or affection (or like idols, for that matter), so Kazuki can only express his love for his brother through acts of caretaking he won't admit to Haruka's face. So he adopts a girl's identity where it's acceptable to be cutesy and give and receive the kind of attention that doesn't fit with his image of boyhood, and emphasizes the cat as a proxy for doting on a person, and then ends up putting too much focus on the indirect symbols instead of the actual person.

The obvious irony is Haruka himself seems entirely free from gender conformism and clearly wants Kazuki to relate as is, so it's all in Kazuki's head. I imagine we'll get further into Haruka's worldview and how Kazuki relates to it at some point.