Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I like “Weird Stuff Butt Stuff” better but I don’t know what that other thing is a reference to.

Conspiracy theory by Alex Jones and others that the government is putting chemicals in the water to turn frogs (and eventually people) gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Still having difficulty wrapping my brain around the cops. They seem to be antagonistic to Keppi, both ideologically and directly, but I'm not sure how. Also, lol at Keppi using diminishing returns to keep the kids hooked.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The transformations seem to mainly be the big ideological mission statements of the competing factions. Catch is that I'm still having difficulty figuring out the difference in Keppi and the cops' ideologies. They both seem to be big on revealing your secrets and becoming comfortable with your true self, but one creates kappa zombies while the other destroys them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pretty decent writeup on the mythological and historical background of Sarazanmai. In particular, it explains quite a bit about the otter cops.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm definitely dreading where the show is going with Haru and all the details

Does make Kazuki's behaviour rather more sympathetic if he's trying to be a one-boy Make-A-Wish Foundation for his dying kid brother.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I mean it's certainly an element of gender but you're totally misunderstanding what toxic masculinity is. It's really the exact I verse of that. He's trying to suppress his masculinity to connect with his little brother. Now whether that's only because his brother's TV idol is a girl or because he's closet trans or something else, I'm not sure yet.

But I do know this. The only time Kazuki is willing to be emotionally outgoing is when he's dressed up as Sara. Whenever he's merely Kazuki, he only displays the bare minimum of emotion needed to get by. We learned from this episode that he used to be a lot more outgoing between laughing a lot more and doing that weird pose with Enta. There's still some missing pieces here surrounding Haruka's past and the brothers' relationship, so we don't know what triggered the change.

So the bad guy cops and their org leader are all translated as saying 'otter' multiple times. What's the significance of otters in folklore in relation to kappa?

The kawauso is a river-dwelling trickster yokai that is believed in a couple of Japanese prefectures to be related to the kappa (and one book of folklore suggests that especially old otters eventually become kappas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Interesting discussion from 2000 between Ikuhara and the feminist media critic Mari Kotani about sexuality in fiction that may provide some fruitful context for Sarazanmai.