Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
After all of the comments about the show, I'm really looking forwards to catching episode 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hmm

Mhmmm

Butts

Yep

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'd forgotten quite how Ikuhara Ikuhara is.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Conspiracy theory by Alex Jones and others that the government is putting chemicals in the water to turn frogs (and eventually people) gay.

Of course this came from Alex Jones. I'd heard of the gay frogs conspiracy stuff but didn't know where it came from.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm seeing it as the cops are forcing you to act upon the literal interpretation of your desires, like the cat dude pooping on cats because it got in the way of his relationship, but the extraction reveals their true intent, like cat guy just wanting to be loved by his girlfriend.

Also, until this point I hadn't seen any sign of real gayness, only hints at possible gayness, but that kiss at the end seals that deal. The question now is who's Kuji gay for?

We're only 2 episodes in and this is already one hell of a wild ride. It really makes me want to go back an revisit Penguindrum.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

I finally watched it and here's my take: toxic masculinity.

You can see it in Kazuki's feigned apathy for Haruka's interests. Boys don't get to display enthusiasm or affection (or like idols, for that matter), so Kazuki can only express his love for his brother through acts of caretaking he won't admit to Haruka's face. So he adopts a girl's identity where it's acceptable to be cutesy and give and receive the kind of attention that doesn't fit with his image of boyhood, and emphasizes the cat as a proxy for doting on a person, and then ends up putting too much focus on the indirect symbols instead of the actual person.

The obvious irony is Haruka himself seems entirely free from gender conformism and clearly wants Kazuki to relate as is, so it's all in Kazuki's head. I imagine we'll get further into Haruka's worldview and how Kazuki relates to it at some point.

I mean it's certainly an element of gender but you're totally misunderstanding what toxic masculinity is. It's really the exact I verse of that. He's trying to suppress his masculinity to connect with his little brother. Now whether that's only because his brother's TV idol is a girl or because he's closet trans or something else, I'm not sure yet.

But I do know this. The only time Kazuki is willing to be emotionally outgoing is when he's dressed up as Sara. Whenever he's merely Kazuki, he only displays the bare minimum of emotion needed to get by. We learned from this episode that he used to be a lot more outgoing between laughing a lot more and doing that weird pose with Enta. There's still some missing pieces here surrounding Haruka's past and the brothers' relationship, so we don't know what triggered the change.

So the bad guy cops and their org leader are all translated as saying 'otter' multiple times. What's the significance of otters in folklore in relation to kappa?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The kawauso is a river-dwelling trickster yokai that is believed in a couple of Japanese prefectures to be related to the kappa (and one book of folklore suggests that especially old otters eventually become kappas.

drat, they had some dark takes on otters.

But there's no hints as to what Ikuhara might be going for. The closest I think is the soul sucking myth, since the cops are extracting each person's desires, which removes them from existence entirely.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If kazuki didn't enjoy being Sara on some level then he would not channel her every moment he puts the costume on. There's no need to. He just has to act the part while taking the picture. But as soon as the dress goes on he transforms into a different person, and he's very unlikely to secretly be a method actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ene in a more general sense, there's plenty of examples of people doing so something seemingly selfless in service of selfish desires. But there is a distinction between people who do so maliciously, and cases like this where it's more of a psychological coping method.