Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Aside from the whole butt thing, there's definitely a lot of overlap with Penguindrum - abstract stick figures representing people, a couple of iconic symbols being present everywhere (penguins/kappas and the "desire" marsupial in the hearts), highly stylized transformation sequence, weird behaviors that get put in an entirely unexpected light right at the end, etc.

Since I liked Penguindrum, I am definitely down for this, but I hope this show develops its own distinct identity somewhere down the line. Wouldn't want to see Ikuhara get stuck in a rut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Show is good, but I am not sure how I feel about having the transformation and fight sequences in this episode basically be on fast-forward. I understand that they have a limited runtime and, especially with only 11 episodes, every second counts but it still feels a bit odd to have the show's signature sequences treated like a disposable routine this early on.

On the other hand, if this is what it takes to have that cops musical number, I am ready to take that sacrifice.

Unrelatedly, the stinger really reminded me of the ending to episode one of Penguindrum.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Mister Olympus posted:

Sarazanmai: I Want To Connect, But I Have No Idea What Is Happening Here

Idk, this seems pretty straightforward so far, at least compared to most other Ikuhara stuff.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Whoever voices Kazuki did an especially stellar job this episode. I got literal tears in my eyes when he was breaking down at the end.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Holy hell, episode 10 was even better than I expected. This show owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Holy hell, this final episode. That might be the best Ikuhara finale since Utena, and I am saying this as someone that liked Penguindrum's bittersweet ending.

Also, LMAO at "I am an abstract concept". Thanks Otter, wouldn't have figured that one out in a million years.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 21, 2019