Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Aside from the whole butt thing, there's definitely a lot of overlap with Penguindrum - abstract stick figures representing people, a couple of iconic symbols being present everywhere (penguins/kappas and the "desire" marsupial in the hearts), highly stylized transformation sequence, weird behaviors that get put in an entirely unexpected light right at the end, etc.

Since I liked Penguindrum, I am definitely down for this, but I hope this show develops its own distinct identity somewhere down the line. Wouldn't want to see Ikuhara get stuck in a rut.

A lot of the overlap is because the chief animation director is the same one from penguindrum. I wouldn't expect to see those elements disappear, but Ikuni has never had much of a problem going for something different, even when it's much to my dismay.

I'm having a blast with this one. My mind is still blown by the ア in circle = a ni maru thing. He speaks English, there's no way he doesnt know that sounds like "animal," and same with the rather leonine cop's name sounding like Leo to western ears. I genuinely can't wait to see why there are signs saying "animal" all around the city.

Y'all are lucky, I cant watch it until Sunday :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

Wait, explain? I didn't see this.

It's information from a friend of mine who's been tracking Sarazanmai since last year; she speaks Japanese and noticed it a while back. All those little ア signs plus the animal-focused/animalistic nature of the show (frogs, otters, desire)? Of course he knows. He has to. I've been picking apart his stuff since '99, dude is in love with his puns. This is definitely one of them.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Ha, no, of course it's not confirmed, and my money is on that it probably never will be. This is the dude who told people that Miki's stopwatch was key to the secrets of the universe or some poo poo when according to the translated interviews in the Nozomi release, one of the other directors, I believe, says it's the length of the previous dialogue line. I haven't verified that but eventually I'm gonna have to, if only for my own curiousity.

But no, this is exactly the kind of pun that he always includes in his work, and if it's a double pun on one of the rail lines, so much the better.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, and Sara was found in a dish on the street iirc. She says dish instead of desu, has that female kappa looking thing, and also has what appears to be a dish on her head as well. Also also, I've heard her last name has some relation to sarazanmai that I dont remember, but take that with a grain of salt. :thunkher:

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Finally was able to watch... one thing I really want to know is whether the instances of the cops arresting people who inflict their desires on others is a theme. That would explain so much. Like, iirc, Boxhead got arrested because he was running around naked (except for the implied shibari) with a box on his head in public, no? And Cattalo Bill here was shaving ppl's cats for his fursuit. Is that a theme? Can't tell from two examples, but I'm ready to find out.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
This episode felt like it was all setup for a payoff that happens next episode. Also, eagerly anticipating more about ottercops.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
https://twitter.com/abbysayswords/status/1171968783264690178?s=19

...welp, a friend of ours found this out today. I dunno if anyone is interested but the Utena musicals have been amazing so I've got high hopes for a buttastic stage show.

Sooper Gila posted:

Your website is awesome.
drat, didn't see this-- on behalf of my wife, thanks! We keep on finding new stuff even now, like the aforementioned musicals.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
The guy who played Saionji in the first Utena musical is playing Chikai and none of us know how to handle this knowledge because he's a total goober.

https://twitter.com/ohtori_nu/status/1172043871276036096?s=19

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Just how gay is it going to be?

The new Utena musicals have been GAY AS HELL so I can't see them backing down on that.

Here's Megan's thread on the information we have so far:

https://twitter.com/AnimeSocMegan/status/1172025439147220992?s=19

Aaaaaaand Megan's basically doing for Sarazanmai what Vanna and I do for Utena, so check out their site for pretty much all the Sarazanmai info the english-speaking fanbase has access to. They're also going to be guesting on the Kappa Connection podcast as soon as we can work out a recording date. Hopefully we have more musical info to talk about by then.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Hopefully someone films it somehow.

If they do it the way they did Utena-- which is likely but not guaranteed-- they'll stream the last performance or two online, which means if you have a vpn and an account at the streamer you'll be able to watch live and maybe also VOD. For the last Utena musical it was a Rakuten account and you need an address in Japan to get one of those (there's a service called Blackship that does this).

Vanna has already offered her help in getting a subtitle out into the community tho, just in case someone happens to grab the stream (if it happens). If for some reason a stream never happens, we will at the very least have a friend in the audience who can describe it. She's agreed to go in completely blind, I'm looking forward to her take.

If you want to know about the process of getting access to the (probable) stream, we've done this before and we can answer questions. Either way, we're at least going to get a full report on it.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Ticket information, for anyone interested!

https://twitter.com/butaisarazanmai/status/1177181092295503872?s=19

If anyone wants information on the process of getting a ticket, Vanna and I can probably help out. It's not our first rodeo.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
https://twitter.com/stage_natalie/status/1191943436951334912?s=19

The costumes look really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
https://twitter.com/AnimeSocMegan/status/1201809639370821632?s=19

Phew. We had tried three different ways to buy the stream through PayPal but this one works perfectly, thank goodness!

Lysistrata fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 3, 2019