Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Nail Rat posted:

Humans who look like book belters kind of don't exist

There are definitely some people who fit the bill, but in this particular case it's pituitary gigantism.

This is pretty much how Naomi is described

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
In season 1 they clearly had a casting call for everyone with Marfan Syndrome but that is a very specific body type to look for...they'd have to go with an animated medium if they really wanted the visual differences to be distinct.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

There were a couple actors in the first season that seemed to be picked for the Belter look -- the prostitute that Miller's partner visits, for instance, and some of the extras they put in the bar scenes -- but it's gotta be basically impossible to do casting while limiting yourself to people over 6 feet tall and incredibly skinny. There was one scene that I straight-up did not understand when I watched the show -- (tiny spoiler)When Prax is a refugee from Ganymede on one of the rescue ships, he's hanging out with another refugee, a friend of his, and then the Belter in charge splits them up, dragging her away saying something like "Earthers don't belong on this ship" even though she and Prax looked like literally any couple. It didn't make sense until I read the books and figured out that, in "reality", Prax should have been like 7 feet tall and skinny, and the physical differences between Belters and Earthers would be obvious to anyone.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I never the read the Expanse books. Are Belters depicted as being weak-as-poo poo compared to Earthers then? Was Amos owning the poo poo out of Miller way more brutal in the book if he was basically just beating on a fleshy twig?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Bobbie is also described as like 6'6" and built like a brick shithouse, so they got close on the second count with Frankie Adams

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

someone reminded me yesterday that in the last episode they had this exchange:

sam: maester aemon said love is the death of duty

jon: yes but sometimes, duty is the death of love

i forgot about this and thought they were joking

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
L-O-L that the $30,000,000 an episode sequel to Game of Thrones comes out this very week and nobody gives a flying gently caress.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Unkempt posted:

L-O-L that the $30,000,000 an episode sequel to Game of Thrones comes out this very week and nobody gives a flying gently caress.

It's going to be dogshit and I am going to savor every putrid bite

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

More Dragons, More Better

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i hope it's bad enough that we can have fun making GBS threads on it. what if it is only boring.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

what if it's good

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I just want to go back to the detailed OPs of game of thrones' past. :(

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also the canon of the show is that Boomer’s kid is mitochondrial Eve.

Naw, in seriousness, it has some of the best individual episodes of sci fi and an amazing cast. It wasn’t until The Expanse that we got something better in both narrative and production values. The end falls apart and is dumb, but not so dumb that it ruins the previous 60ish hours, for me.

Boomer's kid also dies as a child based on the newspaper talking about the discovery.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Spacebump posted:

Boomer's kid also dies as a child based on the newspaper talking about the discovery.

Some dangerous implications there...
:reddit:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I remembered the latter half of BSG sucking too, but when I rewatched it a few months ago I thought it was exceptionally good all the way through. Maybe because I binged it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Unkempt posted:

I was just scanning an airport magazine rack out of boredom and saw one cover featuring the GoT prequel and another featuring the LOTR prequel. They looked almost indistinguishable, each featuring three actors in bad long-haired wigs and mediocre flowy costumes standing in front of a generic CGI background.

That’s what 2/3 of a billion dollars buys you apparently.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just read the part of the story where King’s Landing is abandoned and gets 3 rulers, the squire of a hedge knight, the baby of a prostitute and a mad priest. Now I’m genuinely excited to see HotD and inmediately set myself to dissapointment when the show decides to ignore this plot or gets cancelled before reaching it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I looked up Rings of Power on Youtube for the first time and Jesus Christ do some loving people need to go outside.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
could you imagine making a series so popular that its a worldwide phenomenon and you basically want to hurry up and end it so you can go do something else instead and the execs all agreed and phoned it all in thinking it was a great idea

now all they're known for is loving everything up

it'll probably even be on their gravestones

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Honestly, if it didn't mean the ruination of something we all quite liked, it'd be a marvelous tale of comeuppance.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
to my knowledge the last thing they had their hands on that actually came out was a stand up special. lmao

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Philthy posted:

could you imagine making a series so popular that its a worldwide phenomenon and you basically want to hurry up and end it so you can go do something else instead and the execs all agreed and phoned it all in thinking it was a great idea

now all they're known for is loving everything up

it'll probably even be on their gravestones
"They never scored (a second series)"

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

They're both working on a Three Body Problem adaptation and Dan made a pretty good movie called Metal Lords. But yeah, they could have been running showbiz if they'd even made a passable ending for GoT.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
someone should probably make a HotD thread before Sunday. I can do it if nobody else wants to

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just change the thread title to season 9 until it earns its own thread. :c00lbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah. I dunno if people have any kind of attachment to this thread because I pretty much just made it and then ran away

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

how appropriate for a game of thrones thread

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pennsylvanian posted:

They're both working on a Three Body Problem adaptation and Dan made a pretty good movie called Metal Lords. But yeah, they could have been running showbiz if they'd even made a passable ending for GoT.

Three Body Problem deserves so much better.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

hahah. I dunno if people have any kind of attachment to this thread because I pretty much just made it and then ran away

D&D account spotted

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
merry christmas I think

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010245

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thank you! I’ll keep this thread open for general GoT discussion/D+D mockery/whatever

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MORE DRAGONS, MORE BETTER

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

MrMojok posted:

MORE DRAGONS, MORE BETTER

I think you might be on to something. GoT got worse anytime a dragon died.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

An insane mind posted:

God, that is a good point. Those were two of the worst episodes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the lesson hopefully learned is that if you're going to kill off a magnificent awe inspiring creature like a dragon you should do it in a way that isn't fuckin stupid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

An insane mind posted:

It also got worse as the dragons started playing a larger role.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I think the first dead dragon should've been by getting swarmed by zombies in their first encounter.

The second one should have been something more strategic like Cersei sending spies to poison their food or something, pissing off Danerys and causing a whole lot of distrust and paranoia in her camp, especially towards say Jaime and any other former Lannister associates. Would have made his departure back to his sister a little more understandable and tragic. And it would have given Dany much stronger build up for going crazy and vengeful.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

the lesson hopefully learned is that if you're going to kill off a magnificent awe inspiring creature like a dragon you should do it in a way that isn't fuckin stupid.

Kinda forgot about the enemy's giant navy, which happens to be equipped with radar guided anti-dragon arrows

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wrote up an effort post for House of the Dragon but I’ll post it when the new book comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh man just :lol::laffo::lol: at the last 5 minutes of the new episode. Absolutely hilarious and fourth wall breaking monologue.
:discourse: