Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In the books, it's all Edmure's fault for wanting that windmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

"GRRM" posted:

Someone asked why the seasons are so messed up. Martin said he couldn't give an answer because that would be telling! He did say that there would eventually be an answer in one of the books, and the answer would be a fantasy (as opposed to a science fiction/science based) answer.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1365

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's been explicitly stated in the books and series that magic had been forgotten, discounted or had been significantly weaker and that its return coincides with the comet, the White Walkers coming back and the three dragons hatching.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

WHY BONER NOW posted:

How much time has passed over the course of the show?

They never explicitly say. Aside from the actors (especially the children) obviously aging the only clear signs of the passing of time are:

Jaime and Cersei are said to be 40 a few seasons back

Ned's remains are a chest of bones

Sam says he and Jon have been at the wall "for years"

Probably assume 1 year per season

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Even if they didn't mark it very clearly with that almost throwaway line, who wouldn't automatically deduce that Jamie and Randal are sticking behind to make sure the wagons full of hay make it?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

wilderthanmild posted:

Man, a prequel about Robert's Rebellion could have been great. Even if it was garbage I bet it would still be super popular for a couple seasons just riding off the original GoT wave. I just can't see as much interest in The Long Night.

I would've gone with Aegon's conquest instead. I don't like the idea of them using younger versions of existing characters because I think they're always going to look worse in comparison.

They did a similar kind of thing with Battlestar Galactica and it sucked balls.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Zaphod42 posted:

Robert wasn't anywhere in the line, but he sat the throne

Robert, Stannis and Renly were all second cousins to Rhaegar, Viserys and Dani. It's a weaker claim but it checks out.

Jon is at least distantly related to about half the GoT characters.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duEoRnzJ1Kc

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

A Typical Goon posted:

Remember when the dragons were all different colours? When did they start to change them to make them all look like Drogon?

They didn't.

Rhaegal is still green with yellow wings

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

trickybiscuits posted:

Please tell me this is a joke

eta: PLEASE

It's a joke.

That happens to be real.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
:lol: at reading through the comments and pinpointing the exact moment the Arya and Gendry scene starts

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Wasabi the J posted:

Now I get why the Golden Company story was kept.

Varys is a Blackfyre. The other red witch is gonna do some poo poo when he betrays Dany. This is based off the cut scene from last season.

I've heard of the theory but not the cut scene, where did you read about it?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I remember back in season 6 when the Waif stabbed Arya repeatedly in the stomach and it ended on a cliffhanger and everyone was like:

:eek:"What if the Waif was actually Arya and by stabbing "herself" she was actually killing her identity on the path to becoming No One?"

And then: nope -> the Waif stabbed Arya

Much as I'd love a massive, intelligent, satisfying twist, I'm just going to take everything at face value.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3M0Xt97aFI&t=1926s

:lol:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Sad that the Night King was poisoned by his enemies...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
^ What's a Dorne? :confused:

However :wtc: the finale to BSG was, the way they started offing pretty major supporting characters left, right and centre in the last season was pretty satisfying

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

LinYutang posted:

The show messed with Brienne's characterization by having her weep like a damsel. Jaime should have been the one crying.

"Look, it's ok. I've already called a cab."

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

pepito sanchez posted:

Aren't they supposed to "continue" GoT with an original series and story on Valyria set in the same universe? Speaking of terrible ideas.

So basically the ASoIaF version of Krypton?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I was thinking Caprica lol

Maybe this new series will also spin its wheels long enough to get cancelled before getting good.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

PantsBandit posted:

Came for the Game of Thrones, stayed for the Barry.

He'd screw his own sister for a slice of cheese.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Harry Strickland. What a loving chump.

I think I enjoyed this episode more than the others but the last 30 min just got a little exhausting.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

bloom posted:

With Jorah gone she can't bear the weight of the printer

:haw:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Bip Roberts posted:

He just wanted to gently caress most eligible lady stark.

That reminds me, a friend of mine got invited to an actors' bar in London as a +1 and ended up doing exactly that.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Just Chamber posted:

Sophie Turner? Noice

No, no, the other Lady Stark.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

bobjr posted:

It’s funny that The Hound is supposed to be the younger brother when his actor looks 30 years older

Hafþór is younger than Michael Cera.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

...she was just kind of a smirking cynic rolling her eyes all over the place but she didn't actually do anything, like at all.

So what you're saying is she's the perfect replacement for post-book material Littlefinger?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Glad they changed his name so I wouldn't confuse him with Robb or Robert.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
First Citizen of Westeros :colbert:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
How did Jamie not drown after getting tackled into that lake? Doesn't matter, next shot we see him he's fine.

How did Sam not die after being mobbed by hundreds of wights? Doesn't matter, next shot we see him he's fine.

How did Tyrion not die after being hit with a mast? Doesn't matter, next shot we see him he's fine.

Stannis' sudden reappearance was especially egregious.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are there any examples in the show of the North actually Remembering?

There was one lady that had a candle that did nothing. Then she died.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

lezard_valeth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpBBueLih_k

gfdi watching these old scenes is so painful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2segM3PA6AI

:v:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I think Harry Lloyd spent more time doing the lore segments than he did playing Viserys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGi2Ly0oBs

Probably Mark Addy too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iQv17T4Rgk

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I wIsH yOu GoOd FoRtUnE iN tHe WaRs To CoMe :downs:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah a good fight scene is action and reaction, constantly evolving, not just clanging swords until you decide the scene is over.

Here's how you do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mClOxgyWLs8

Seeing Michelle Yeoh's swords scratched to poo poo at 1:00 :discourse:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Lid posted:

BSG should never count because there is a point in the last season you can pretend the show ends and its perfect. Dexter has a similar argument with season four. Buffy with season five.

That was a writers' strike thing, they weren't sure if they were going to be able to finish the season so they made that episode into a backdoor finale.

I'll agree it doesn't hold up as well as it used to but it's already 17 years old at this point. I wouldn't recommend watching past the first 2/3 of the second season though.

This is still cool:

:colbert:

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 14, 2020

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Most important, of course, was the ominous montage of ASIMO and AIBO robots set to Jimi Hendrix :tinfoil:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It started out good and then very quickly jumped up its own butt and ended up being a "real-world" Dr Who with stupid plots that were clearly made up as they went along.

Shows like this work best when they stick to neat, self-contained stories. The BBC doesn't have the budget to make "If we don't X then the world will end" plots look convincing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I always assumed that the horny robots would just be their "agents" and that the ones in charge, pulling the strings would be a cold, faceless AI.

33 is a great episode in part because you never see the cylon perspective. It makes them feel more like one big killing machine.

But it was nothing but horny robots all along.