Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah that part never sat well with me. I think Melisandre would have been a lot more interesting if left ambiguous whether she is magic or not, and at times it seems the books want to do that, but this early instance kinda undermined and ruined that idea.

Like there's the part where Stannis is talking with Davos about Balon and Robb's death and how it was thanks to Melisandre's leech magic and Davos says they could have been coincidence but like, my dude, you saw her spawn a demon baby how can you still be in denial that she is magical.

And then later when we get a PoV chapter from Melisandre talking with Jon Snow she is like "oooh, my magic is stronger now that I'm close to the Wall and don't need to use my parlor tricks"...but AGAIN, YOU SPAWNED A DEMON BABY, YOU ARE MAGICAL. Make up your mind gurm

I'd have liked it a lot more if Renly died some other death unrelated to Stannis

Yeah I always liked the parts of Ice and Fire where you're not sure if magic actually existed or if there were just lots of coincidences. I thought it was cool that Stannis naming Robb, Joffrey and Balon could have just died because they were kings at war and that Stannis just used confirmation bias to think he was all powerful.

Reading through the books, I can kind of see what the show's ending was going for. The problem was that even the endings that kind of worked sucked because of the heinously-bad and rushed writing. Jamie and Cersei going out like The Rains of Castamere (castle collapsing on them) isn't an awful idea, for example. It's just that there's no real set-up for that ending in the show, while it definitely would probably be more impactful as a book ending.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Xealot posted:

More like 150 years as I recall, but yeah, I wish. I'm pretty much expecting this show to feel like an alt-history GoT, with the exact same cultures and technology and general social dynamics. I'm sure they'll find a way to involve Starks and Martells and all of it, because people like them and don't ask questions.

The hypothetical Long Night show might've actually had to make choices reflecting an older time period, though. People can maybe accept that 150 years didn't look that different in a feudal European setting, but something like thousands of years? There's no goddamn way. They'd at least have to make the North look like...I don't know, early Vikings? The Andals look like Romans?

*looks up The Long Night*

8000 years? Goddamn, GRRM. That's practically the Neolithic.

One thing that always bugged me in fantasy was how civilizations could be in a Medieval state for like 20,000 years or whatever. It makes sense when high fantasy realms with readily-available magic don't advance much in terms of non-arcane science, but we managed to figure out steam engines after about five thousand years of civilization. Granted it also took that same amount of time before we realized that we shouldn't poop in the same water we drink but still.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Vagabong posted:

Its wild how bad the writing for the battle of winterfell was. Its not even a matter of the tactics being stupid and nonsensical, sometimes upsetting medivalists is fine if it helps you do something cool, its that it creates the entirely unforced error of turning the entire episode into and endless stakesless melee. Its a seige, its the perfect environment to have a natural progression of tension and environments, but instead the walls get breached 20 minutes in and it becomes just an endless fight in the courtyard with no real concept of how one room connects to the next.

It also gives the unintended effect of making everyone involved look like a huge idiot. Imagine what a full a script of the strategic planning sounded like. Was Jon the one who suggested putting the catapults on the very front line so that they could fire two salvos and get immediately overrun? Who was it that thought that the Dothraki charge with just steel weapons (they weren't expecting Melisandre to show up) would do anything? Was it Dany or the discount Drogo? Did anyone try to argue or say these were all dumb ideas?

Also, how did Edd see Tormund's blue eyes in a pitch black room, and how would he confuse them for bright, glowing blue white walker eyes? There's always something loving new with GoT.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I have to believe that they're not going to tie themselves to show exclusive canon.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Any time I try to watch early episodes, I watch Harry Lloyd kill it as Viserys and remind myself of the monotone performances across the board in the later seasons.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't the actress for Roz talk some slight poo poo or something and that's why they killed her off?

The most common belief is that the actress began to ask for the same perks as other actors and that's what got her character killed off of the show.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Sansa and Cat look like they could be related, beyond even the hair. But that's a good point that I always forget about in movies and shows. The Baratheon Brothers don't look at all alike in the show, when in the books, Renly is supposed to be the image of young Robert.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Was Renly's actor not a good pick? I watched the first season of the show before I read the books, so my impressions are colored, but I thought the guy looked enough like Robert (well, dark haired and bearded, anyway) and was obviously the non-martial younger sibling so he might not be as big. I thought he felt good as the guy who was popular at court but kinda naive as to how ruthless everyone would be.

In the books, he's big and beefy and handsome, traveling in armor and competing in tourneys. He was supposed to be a contradiction of typical expectations of masculinity. You didn't really see gay characters like him in the nineties.

I'm not one of those people who demand that all actors look like their characters, but it is kind of fun to imagine that book character walking around instead of the guy in the shaving scene.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

roomtone posted:

but in general i think the longevity of the ramsay psycho murder scenes does add something to the catharsis of when he's actually defeated. it's not a totally bad idea, they just went a little far in some places like geroge lucas.

Yeah, they needed something to set Ramsay up as capable and dislikable, but I think they went too far in places to the point where they made him a Villain-Sue. When I rewatch The Dark Knight, all I can think is that I see the writers setting up all of Joker's plans for him, because it's impossible to imagine how much planning and timing went into all of his plans going off at just the right time. I have the same issues with Ramsay during ridiculous moments where I can see the writers twisting reality in service of his character, like during the Theon rescue scene or the Battle of the Bastards or "poisoned by our enemies." At no point do they really give him any flaws beyond being simply cruel. BotB would have been interesting if the armies had turned on him for ordering them to fire arrows on their fellow soldiers or something. For what it's worth I think Book Littlefinger gets a little too much help from the writer as well.

The books give me certain feelings about the gory content as well. GRRM gets a lot of pushback for including so much rape and murder and cruelty in his books, but there's as much as you'd see in any war (just look at conflicts going on at this very moment around the world), and it's mostly all done in point out how justice is doled out only when a system lets it be doled out.

On the other hand, I read about Biter chewing off a Septa's breast, and I can't help but imagine an author with a childish gore obsession dumping their brain onto a page.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't remember the scene but I think in real life a master swordsman would lose to 3-4 moderately competent opponents working together

The books are weird in that there are just a lot of genetic freaks in them. There are a lot of characters who are over seven feet tall and are capable of some really crazy physical feats, as well as men in their 60s and older who can fight like men much younger than them. I think we do forget that George is still dealing in fantasy sometimes, too. I think there's also an aspect of bullshit to a lot of the hyping up of certain characters' fighting abilities. A lot of characters who get hyped up as being "the best fighter in <x>" usually aren't seen fighting, or they get killed pretty unceremoniously.

Phenotype posted:

Loras Tyrell wasn't an utterly terrifying warrior, he was characterized as a pretty boy dilettante who was good at tournament combat but wouldn't be all that great in an actual fight. I think Book Loras was supposed to be a little more competent but IIRC the only fighting he ever did was getting badly wounded offscreen doing something for the Tyrells.

Yeah, and we're not even sure if he's wounded or not, because we hear the news from Aurane Waters, who is just obviously a con man.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 4, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is one of the things from that historian's analyis of the show that really stuck with me - nobody in the show believes in their own religions. The kings and queens just pay lipservice to it, the sparrow only uses it for his own political power etc. Cersei blowing up the Grant Sept wasn't just an act of murder, it was the greatest act of blasphemey Westeros has ever seen. And then...nothing. Nobody cares.

Yeah, sometimes even in the books, it feels like Seven worshippers kind of forget that their God exists until the author needs them to remember. I think Catelyn comes off as the only Seven-raised POV that doesn't have any sort of cynical or agnostic view on their God.

On the other hand, George really, really seems to sympathize with the idea of not being able to shake off religious indoctrination leftover from youth. Most Seven worshipping POV characters will talk about hating The Seven or claim to not believe in them, but even those characters still think about The Seven as something that exists. As someone who thinks he's atheist but grew up in a religious upbringing, it's extremely relatable to not be able to really shake the idea that God exists and I'm only rebelling against him or his followers.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

God, that scene. It really just came off as D&D outright pissing on the books that they took a Knight whose one thing in the books was that he was an amazing swordsman who used one super-special fantasy sword, and gave him two normal-looking swords in the show.

Supposedly, the idea of a small off-hand blade (something dagger-sized up to maybe a foot or so in length) was practiced in different parts of the world, but dual-wielding two full-sized longswords would be next to impossible. And that scene just looks clunky, like everyone's just really working Dayne's dual-wielding.

On my own rewatch, I saw that the showrunners made a big stink of Kit's sword skills, and not without good reason. His sword swings were quick and way more practiced than anyone else and his fight scenes are miles away the best in the series.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

MrMojok posted:

Do the dumbass iron islanders in the book do the thing where they drown a would-be king and see if he spontaneously resuscitates with no assistance?

You’d think they’d kill dozens of promising candidates doing that.

They do and they do.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It was The Door that finally got me to watch the show. I had been holding out, waiting for Winds (I'd started reading the series in the '90s when I was way too young to be reading it), and I finally gave in when I had that spoiled for me. I blasted through the show and didn't really pay mind to the worst parts while I was binging it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I normally don't like the stranger conspiracy theories about the books, but the one theory that I saw that The Seven may be connected to The Others was really interesting. I can't find the theory now, but one of the many pieces of evidence was the use of those blue eye stones on corpses.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a swordfight in a movie or TV show where it was one person vs. more than 2 other people where it didn't require a ton of suspension of disbelief. Which is not to say it can't be done, like the Bride vs. dozens of mooks in Kill Bill 1 was great. It's just very difficult to get the audience not to notice that the gang of people could easily take the hero if they wanted to.

It would basically require armor to be shown realistically and to have more to the fight than just sword-clashing. You'd need to see a weapon bounce off of the hero's chestplate as they tackled an enemy off of their feet, then turned their attention to another foe. Or have them use numbers against the enemy by moving around, forcing them to bump into each other and/or lose their footing. I think it was 47 Ronin where I remember a one-on-many fight being somewhat believable.

Besides early GoT, the only time I ever remember a character using armor as armor was in The Mandalorian, oddly enough. He knows when his armor can deflect lasers or other weapons and lets it do so in order to get the upper hand in a fight.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It was a reveal that was dumb in retrospect because it set up that Bran time-traveled once and never again just to have a tearjerker moment.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It seems like they wanted to have a lot of mystery around Bran, what with him warging out during the All Nighter, as well as his tracking of Drogon in the finale, but they didn't have any real intrigue or insight into why he's acting so strangely. It feels like the writers were fighting each other over what Bran was supposed to be.

I genuinely thought that Bran was going to skin-change into Theon at the last moment and use him to suicide charge the Night King, which could have been interesting but lol.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

bobjr posted:

If Bran got a last second revenge on Theon for betraying the Starks i don’t know if that would have been in character or not

Here's an idea: During his "trial", Jaime volunteers his sword to protect Bran. During the battle, he honorably fights to the bitter, bloody end in the defense of Bran, possibly even alongside Theon. You can then spin that into so many different wild story angles that all work, whether Jaime lives or dies. It's at least some kind of decent moment for the two characters whose interaction in Episode 1 started this whole mess.

Since everyone has their own awful version of who should have killed the Night King, how about this:

Off the top of my head, the Azor Ahai myth goes: water, lion, Nissa Nissa, right? Have the Night King stab Theon (water), then Jaime (lion), then Dany or Arya (could just be familial affection), then have Jon be Azor Ahai when he takes that same blade from the Night King and kills him with it. Or gently caress it, have Jon or Jorah get stabbed so that Arya or Dany could be Azor Ahai. Or maybe just Theon and Jaime get stabbed, and it's Brienne that kills the Night King. I think prophecies are all pointless like GRRM seems to wants us to think, but these can all tie into sacrifice and redemption which the story does like. And at the end of the day, we're talking about the Season 8 Dragon Show, so who cares at that point.

I know that's all stupid. Everyone and their mother has put out alternate endings, and most that I've seen are worse than what we actually got. But I feel like it's something with logic and pathos that may be more satisfying than Arya wire-diving from off-screen.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Phenotype posted:

It's the Spanish version. When I read the books I always referred to him in my head as Hymay

Yeah, no joke I read it as "High-may" for like ten years before the show came out.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Dr. Poz posted:

If you haven't watched the Preston Jacobs Season 7/8 Fixed series, I'd recommend it. I typically avoid that kind of stuff but Jacobs other videos are really well grounded and the restrictions he sets for himself in rearranging seasons are very appropriate. His theory crafting videos on the books drew me in and after clearing through most of them I started on his Season watches. The Season reviews are skippable unless you just like hearing someone agree with you though.

Also, during his Season 8 watch he repeatedly commented on Tyrion's plan with the bells and how it didn't seem to make a lot of sense. I thought he may have been picking a little too hard, but during my own recent rewatch I got to the Battle of the Blackwater and Davos laid this quote on us:

lol

There is a channel on YouTube called Good Subs, and they just cut out all of the music and dialogue, then put their own subtitles in the footage in an effort to "fix" the last two seasons. While the dialogue is kind of bad, they did give much better plot points and character motivations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yeah, there was no cohesion on what constituted unspeakable acts. A lot of the things that the writers tried to cite as setups for her cruelty were accompanied by heroic music and camera angles.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Don't listen to the fat man's lies. The Winds of Winter will be finished 6 months after he croaks by Brandon Sanderson.

Even though Brandon said that would never happen, I kind of want that book. Just go from the luxurious prose and laborious pace of Dance into Brandon's grocery list style of prose. That, or seeing Brandon actually deal with an editor that doesn't just rubber stamp his first drafts.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 10, 2022

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

One part of the show that really stuck with me on a rewatch was how many actors would be on screen acting in the early seasons. One example in my mind was when Tyrion returns to King's Landing to hand Tywin's letter to Cersei. She barely finishes reading the letter before all of the actors start shifting around in their seats, anticipating the announcement of Tyrion as hand. A lot of the early small council scenes do this. It's the kind of stuff I notice and really like, not the "great cinematography" of the latter seasons where a two-person dialogue has the camera switching to the most artistic angle every few seconds as actors furrow their brows and out-smolder one another.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I judge all "guy in public yelling exposition" characters against the Rome guy.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They did it was called Lair and it was a ps3 launch game

I wonder if that game plays better on an emulator. They fixed the controls eventually, but I still ran at like 13fps.

There's also a f2p pvp dragon dogfighting game called Century: Age of Ash.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Recently went through the audiobooks at work. I guess one thing that the show did better, at least in the good seasons, was that the humorous lines were often way better than book humor. Most of the show-only jokes were snappier and wittier, while the book humor often doesn't land because the "witty" lines are long and unwieldy. The rest of the humor in the books is just random vulgarities like a seventh grader wrote them.

The audiobooks were off the back of a rewatch I did about a year ago. I have to say that the criticism of DnD's obsession with actors' faces as time goes on rings really true. You can see that there is a formula to many scenes where two characters will meet, the confident character will get "owned" in some way, and the scene will end up with a close-up on an actor's face as they react to the scene.

More than anything, I'd like some new audiobooks. Roy Dotrice put in an ungodly amount of work and craft and his voice is great for most men and narration, but as time goes on, his goofy voices get worse and worse, especially when he gives main characters that leprechaun voice.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I remember hearing that BSG's ending was really bad but that most people have come to terms with it by now.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Haven't been to the Funko store in Washington in a while because we don't live there anymore, but last I checked it still had a GoT section hanging out with the DC stuff.

Our local PLCB is gonna add another half-decade to that kiosk of Johnny Walker Fire and Ice whiskey.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Somehow, Hodor survived.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I looked up Rings of Power on Youtube for the first time and Jesus Christ do some loving people need to go outside.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

They're both working on a Three Body Problem adaptation and Dan made a pretty good movie called Metal Lords. But yeah, they could have been running showbiz if they'd even made a passable ending for GoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

An insane mind posted:

I think you might be on to something. GoT got worse anytime a dragon died.

God, that is a good point. Those were two of the worst episodes.