Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bo5avw/this_did_not_age_well_at_all/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 30, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m doing a rewatch of GoT. And I haven’t read the books yet, but I have the first one on the Kindle and I’m going to start it soon.

Is there any explanation given in the books for why Joffrey is a sociopath? I realize his mother and his real father aren’t fine upstanding citizens, and the person he believes is his father is an alcoholic and not real attentive, etc.

But Tommen and Myrcella don’t seem to be stricken by the same nasty personality disorder. Is Joffrey just a bad seed, or something?

Also, Sandor is my favorite character from the show. He’s pretty monstrous, but he also has the best character arc of anyone, IMO.

Jaime also had a pretty good arc going but in the end they inexplicably hosed him all up and did a great disservice to the character. I will never understand that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

An insane mind posted:

E: They manage to gently caress up Sandor's arc in the end too because they just had to have their Cleganebowl. And I'll die on the hill of Jaime should have died against the night king or completely severed from his family, his arc just ended supremely unsatisfactory.

Yeah, CleganeBowl was stupid and the way they carried it off was stupid. What I meant was, he’s kind of a monster at the beginning, but then comes “gently caress the King” and the adventures of Arya and Sandor, which is my favorite little plotline of the show. He found at least a little bit of humanity there.

Of course he later becomes a D&D character with STR 18 and feats who’s a member of a party and whatever, but the whole show had kind of degenerated to that by this point.

As for Jaime, I’d have been fine with anything other than his redemption arc regressing to Cersei is hateful and evil and so am I so I need to get back to her, “I never cared about any of them.”

Yes you did, Jaime.

It just invalidated everything we had seen him go through before.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also Jaime is one of the most unathletic person I’ve ever seen in a fantasy TV show and it sucks when he’s supposed to be the Greatest Living Swordsman apart from maybe Selmy

Every Nikolaj Coster-Waldau fight scene is absolute cringe

e: I promise this is my last post but I haven’t watched GoT in years and seeing that Thoros was played by the same actor who played the shrink in After Life made me spit tea out of my nose

Anyway, we come out, and there’s this gammy little geezer in a wheelchair

ARYA: Are we prisoners, then?

THOROS: You’re just a guest, you little oval office

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 28, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm almost done with season four now. I had totally forgotten about the Tale of Orson Lannister, who crushed beetles all day every day, until finally dying after being kicked in the chest by a mule.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 30, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just finished S4.

Believe it or not, I managed to watch the first four seasons of this show as they originally aired, while completely avoiding spoilers.

Avoided all GoT spoilers for like four years, man. I had bought an SA account a few years before, but had not posted much or read the forums at all. I only knew one person who had read the books back then, and she was careful not to spoil anything.

I knew absolutely nothing, Jon Snow.

Oberyn’s death was yet another in a long series of shocking moments, for me. I should have seen it coming when he started strutting around Clegane’s prostrate body screaming CONFESS! but I didn’t.

Good times!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm sure I am getting annoying with my rewatch posts here but I am on to S5 and it's incredible how clueless the showrunners were.

I think I said before that they became clueless after the last events of GRRM's last book but I was wrong, they became clueless at the beginning of S5 and it got worse as it went on. Cersei's walk of shame is nine episodes away and I haven't even gotten to the really bad stuff yet.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

well we get to see dragons, and if there is one mantra i've held to my whole life, it's this:

MORE DRAGONS, MORE BETTER

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Rewatch continues. Just saw Barristan Selmy, greatest swordsman in the Seven Kingdoms, get killed in an alley like a rat, by a group of cultists.

I hope he has a better end in the book.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

“the dwarf lives, until we find a cock merchant”

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s getting crazier how the further I go, I realize much of the later seasons of this show I’ve either forgotten or just blocked out.

This morning I’ve seen the awful Jamie/Bronn vs. Sand Snakes fight, leading to the poisoning of Ser Bronn by the cowardly Lady Tyene of Badpussy. The Arya assassin training that makes no sense at all.

Also Twenty Good Men laying waste to Stannis’ preparations for battle (almost entirely offscreen)

On the positive side, at least the last quarter of Hardhome was a banger. Also I will admit, Stephen Dillane as Stannis has been one of my favorite castings/performances of the show, along with Mark Addy as Robert and the Great Ser Charles of the House of Dance.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If my rewatch posts are getting annoying, by all means, tell me so. I don’t want to irritate anyone.

But continuing on for the moment, the posts I see ITT keep reminding me that I need to get on with reading the books, because there are so many plot lines and character developments that the show shortchanged.

Like, I’ve just watched seasons 1-5 and perhaps I’m a bit dense, but I don’t fully understand how these Sparrows were able to take such power in King’s Landing.

I understand that Cersei enabled them in order to gently caress over her enemies, but the actually logistics and timeline don’t make any sense to me. Not to the point where they could do whatever the hell they wanted to, and it goes from them being fairly insignificant to having the authority and power to imprison not only Margaery but Cersei herself, and the King is powerless to do anything about it, because they just are. Surely this was fleshed out a little better in the books.

That’s just one example. Someone just posted above in response to my mentioning of Stannis that his arc was butchered, and I know dozens more examples from this thread and the previous threads I read as the show aired.

I really do love seasons 1-3 of this show, I like a lot of 4, and that one has Arya/Sandor which is my favorite thing of all, but it’s also very uneven.

But I felt at the time things really started to slip a lot more in S5. And as I recall, it got much worse from there. I almost don’t want to continue rewatching but now due to sunken cost fallacy I feel like I have to.

Anyway I’m sorry for my rambling and feel free to tell me to shut up if you like.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Heh, these are excellent points.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just saw the episode with Bran’s vision of his father totally not defeating Arthur Dane.

Wasn’t there a big discussion in the GoT thread at the time about how infeasible and unrealistic dual-wielding is, in real life?

I mean, it sure looks cool, I’ll give ‘em that.

I know Miyamoto Musashi was known to do it, but katanas and robes are a little different from broadswords and armor, right?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Agree-Kit looked great handling the sword.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Do the dumbass iron islanders in the book do the thing where they drown a would-be king and see if he spontaneously resuscitates with no assistance?

You’d think they’d kill dozens of promising candidates doing that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I can watch Arya and the Hound repeatedly.

Just watched The Door. God, what a gut punch. I remember when it aired originally I could not stop thinking about it the whole next week at work.

Hodor :saddowns:

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 6, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Fun game - how much of The North actually Remembers?

Because I *think* its Lyanna Mormont. That's it.

And boy does she. I just finished S6 and she sure gives the other House leaders a dressing-down in the big meeting at the end, naming and shaming for not answering the call.

I really loved this last episode, “The Winds of Winter,” and despite my misgivings about the later seasons I’m still having fun with it.

I remember very clearly how shocked I was in 2016 when I first saw Cersei was going to blow the Sept and everyone in it off the continent, and then shocked again later when Tommen did a header out the high window of the Red Keep.

Cersei was an incredible mega-villain in this show and Lena Heady was great.

It was nice to see Arya’s revenge over Walder. Perhaps “nice” isn’t the best word to use because Arya’s a little psychopath now who’s just chopped up and fed Walder’s sons to him, but hey, he did ask for it.

I also remember the first time I saw this and how happy I was to FINALLY see Daenerys and her armies and dragons heading across the narrow sea.

Also the reveal of Jon’s parentage, which I knew nothing about prior to seeing this ep. Although I think it had been pretty well spelled out prior to that and I just didn’t see it.

Despite being on shaky ground at times in S6, I do like the season overall, and the season finale was a banger. I think I’d go so far as to say it’s one of my favorite episodes of the series!

Now on to the endgame, S7/8, which is where most of my worst memories of this show are from.

e: Now that Walder’s dead, I want to share what to me was one of the single funniest scenes in the entire run of the show.

The recitation of names (all variations of “Wald”) and how little of a poo poo he gives about his daughters was funny, but oh man, his delivery of “Fine” at 1:25 just absolutely slays me every single time.

e: forgot link

https://youtu.be/l8_3jXZqyv4

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 6, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What I could never get over is the idea that they’ve made what is essentially an inhuman, alien intelligence their new king.

And everyone has talked to this dude, everyone knows what a weirdo he is now. And someone, maybe Tyrion says, “What makes a good king? STORIES! Stories make for a good king!”

What in the hell?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have finished my rewatch and you'll be glad to know I don't have much to say about the last two seasons, except that "The Bells" was loving obscene. This will be my last Rewatch post.

If Dany is just another crazy Targ, then set it up better than you did. S7 and S8 was thirteen episodes, you had plenty of time, come on, man.

If it's for another reason, then set THAT up. I liked the character for years, give me some payoff or justification. "The Bells" is horrific. Not only because of the unearned mental break she seems to suffer but because we have to watch fifteen solid minutes of her laying waste to KL for no reason, with endless shots of civilians being incinerated or crushed by falling masonry/shingles/bricks due to Dragon/Godzilla Explosive Breath

e: (removed hateful comment about the show)

I shouldn’t say that. Last episode was fine and despite all the nitpicks I have with the show, I still love it overall.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 7, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In the show if they had done some kind of ritual and part of it had been something resembling CPR, that would have worked.

But as it is, after he’s drowned they just drag him out of the water and lay him on his back, and stand there in a circle watching.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is Damphair in the show?

Yes. He is the one who recites the prayer and then holds Euron under the water.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m pretty much fine with it.

I can definitely name things I would have done differently from D&D, we all can, but we are never getting the last books and so this is what we have instead, and I can live with it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The adult Augustus casting was bizarre. Dude had Joffrey vibes.

He had this totally unnerving reptilian type gaze

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Aegon the lesser

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

More Dragons, More Better.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I'm not familiar with the lore of this time period. How many of the Targs portrayed in this are apeshit crazy?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, Westeros is huge. I. think I remember reading King’s Landing is something like 1300 miles from Winterfell.

Which means it should take a wagon-train like the one in season 1 about a month or a little more to make that trip.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Was it that long in the show? I was thinking it seemed shorter but I may be thinking of other journeys later in the show, where people went huge distances in what seemed like way too little time.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

In the very first episode Cersei says "we've been riding for a month"

Ah, okay. I skipped S1 during my recent rewatch because I watched it late last year, but I guess I forgot that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

More Dragons, More Better

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

hahah. I dunno if people have any kind of attachment to this thread because I pretty much just made it and then ran away

D&D account spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MORE DRAGONS, MORE BETTER