Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

teagone posted:

Cersei gonna die giving birth to a dwarf.

Wait to see what happens to Danaerys. GRRM wanted to do no other statement than explaining that incest is unhealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

The only real causality the series will have after all is the throne in itself. Democracies for westeros!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

If that's the case I wonder how apocalyptic the books will be, given they won't come out before the wasteland is reality. The entire planet burning?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It is, we have another spoiler thread for that here, plus a technically also spoiler thread in GBS, but this one should be fine

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

esperterra posted:

Welp time to settle in and watch this tit and dragon show

o-oh no

:lol:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Siliziumleben posted:

Why did the Night King leave a spooky message at Last Hearth? What does he have to gain from doing that? I thought he was just a single-minded reaper of the living, not a fan of theater.

Villains love to warn their enemies and explain stuff they plan to do before they do it, so that they can prepare. Imagine how effective this crap would be if the night king would just use undead Viserion to StuKa the poo poo out of Winterfell, burn the Dothraki and Unsullied real quick and gently caress off before Danaerys and Jon can stop loving for a second to mount Drogon and Rhaegal. Also, if he additionally carries one or two of those magical ice spears with him, those two dragons wouldn't even be an issue.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Turns out after all he was nothing but a fan of drama, looking for a solid kick in life.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

No Wave posted:

She talked with Varys at the end of the season and the conversation had no point beyond her saying "I'm leaving the show now"

After being banished she didn't have many options where to go and I guess it's cheaper to not hire her for another season to solve that riddle.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Cersei's going to lose the baby due to too much wine and blame euron, then go scorched earth

Quite certain after having Euron going over her a few times her vagina is nothing but scorched earth anyways, look at the dude.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

LividLiquid posted:

Tell me what you think should've happened that wouldn't be filler. Put some skin in the loving game.

Nah, since like season 5 goons dislike the show professionally just for the cause of it.

Remember last season how we spent like 2 pages discussing why Dany using Drogon in the army fight was poo poo and bad and proves how poo poo the show has become, as she didn't use it vertically in a StuKa move.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"Let him be king over ashes" is sort of a theme and it applies very much to Cersei's ambitions who already burned half of king's landing just so she could cling to power.

The funny thing about Cersei is how half the past season revolved around Jon's mission to recruit Cersei using a wight and how it was a big deal but now, of course, the second she's our the sight of the dragons she's just back to her old power mongering ways and we're expected to think that Sansa is really clever for pointing this out to Tyrion but the whole thing was ridiculously obvious all along, Jon's mission made zero sense, they lost a dragon and spun the wheels for an entire season and it had almost no bearing on this season because Cersei is Cersei.

Oh well.

I honestly wonder if the writers really believed that a passionate viewer would believe Cersei turning around after seeing one zombie, that was defeated by the Hound easily and even if he wouldn't have been chained, would have been torn apart by the Mountain before he could hurt her.
It was sooo out of character for her to all of the sudden go from jokes about how everyone in the city wishes to be dead to "The crown accepts your truce".
Sure, obviously, it's zombies, but the strategic situation was completely off. She was fighting an unwinnable war against dragons that burns her soldiers and executed allied families, she lost the stuff she captured from Highgarden in like 5 minutes of Drogon coughing and the next best army was a continent away.

Cersei doesn't give a flying crap over the world and if she does it's only because she wants to rule it in one way or another. Everyone, especially Tyrion, actually believing that she would actually turn around because Danaerys and her guys did some monster hunting is ridiculous and partly out of character for those who do so.
Even if they did believe her for a moment, there should have been voiced doubts.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You know what episode was most egregiously just filler?

Hardhome

:smug:

Absolutely, only one location to show in the entire episode, what the gently caress!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'd assume GRRM differentiates between magic as in "people do spells and poo poo" and magic as in "it exists as a metaphysical idea of stuff happening in the world", like with that Warlock Dany found (I know, after the comet, but I guess he didn't become warlock in a day), or magical seasons or the wall being magically enchanted.

Also, it's said that magic did not disappear, it just was very weak and didn't happen a lot until danaerys took a hot bath with some stones.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Given that magic still is inherently bound to the world, even if it's to a super small degree for humans until dragons happen, magic seasons seem completely fair either way.

Also lol, completely forgot about Varys' dick. Dragons should never go away, so this is not necessary.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That's sad. So many great stories to tell, but they rather do that. I can imagine Naomi Watts doing a good job there though.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Still wondering why the show never bothered to bring Zombie Cat back.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Crow Jane posted:

For those sick of GoT, have you considered Jesus?

(Apologies for the poo poo quality, I was in a moving vehicle)

That's one good way to have fun in church.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

FizFashizzle posted:

Does anyone actually care about Jon and dany

Apart from themselves? The actors maybe

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Alchenar posted:

If you want to get rules lawyery about it, his titles and claims all passed over when he died too.

Medieval law never had figured out what to do if someone dies, passes his titles and claims and then comes back to life. However, it's plausible to believe that nothing would have been passed on once he's back to life, because death is usually considered permanent and if it isn't, well, then he by law wasn't really dead. Thus, the things go back to him.

This technically also goes for the oath, but really, until the last episode he officially was a bastard, soooo

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Given that White Walkers are not exceptional swimmers, I wonder how they got that chain around his neck anyways. Did they just throw zombies holding the chain into the water and kept on doing that until someone eventually managed to hit the neck before drowning entirely?
Or are they able to walking on the ground as they don't require oxygen? If so, the iron islands might not be super safe in the long run.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Edit: whoops, sorry, this isn't even the spoiler thread.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 24, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Retrowave Joe posted:

Hey how about we just not talk about spoilers and/or potential spoilers?

Sorry, mixed up the threads. Edited everything out.
Either way, lol at fyad.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Vintersorg posted:

Expect everyone to die.

I think a major spoiler is someone LIVING.

Melisandre probably can make it! :sun:
Or Ghost. Generally all characters that were practically removed from the show for confusing reasons.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Anime assassin Arya killing a dude that was built up for 7 seasons seems quite underwhelming, also maybe some more deaths would have been nice to counter that plot armor argument, rest was cool.

Bit sad though that we are now left with Cersei, but now I'm actually excited what will happen, as I can't imagine they are going to need 3 longass episodes to deal with that if they manage to kill the night king in the first large scale battle against the walkers.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Gunthen posted:

Next episode (maybe next 2 honestly) will be like the first 2 in this season. Mostly nostalgia and talking. Whatever happens to Cersie, will unfold in 30-45 minutes. Most of the remainder of the show will be building up to it.

Hopefully it will be as impactful as the Sept of Baelor was.

Couldn't see why they would actually need two talkative episodes for that. The first two were needed to shove every main character that ever existed and isn't on Cersei's side into winterfell, that kind or writing takes time to unfold. But now? What's there to discuss and who's left to reunion?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Gortarius posted:

So they had the balls to kill absolutely no one of any significance.

The night king though. He had some cool character development over the past seasons.

Also Theon lost his penis, which is now fixed.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

lol gently caress

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I guess Ghost did run back

Oh my God, this guy is more stealth than Arya.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Kinda seems like the night king and the lord of light are related in some way. Her powers grew as the night kings did. But once one fades so does the other. Maybe something to do with ice and....fire.

Nah she prob turned to dust cause it looked cool

I am still a fan of this theory actually, it came up seasons ago as an option and I'd like to see this at least in the books to be somewhat true. Especially because that would mean that the Night King is also just a messenger for whatever lures behind him, being that lord of fog I guess.
Can still see this happening to some degree, as we still don't know what Bran's role is, why the night king was against him and given the fact that there are more red women in the world, with their religion being quite real.

Who knows, it wouldn't make a good main plot, but a subtle feeling that behind all the political rabble on the one end and the magic on the other might be something else. At least in the books, as a general vibe between all the details, even though no new books will ever come out.

For the show however the politics are better suited to deal with it and while I didn't like the way the night king died, I am glad we can take a step back from the magic and see some human poo poo again, even though I'm afraid the conclusion might be similarly unsatisfactory like the night king's death either way.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Fart Amplifier posted:

As the Night King grows in power, stab wounds have less effect on humans. That's why in S1 Ned was crippled literally for the rest of his life from a stab wound to the leg. It's also why Jorah and Arya were able to fight after being stabbed 600 times in the gut and chest. Then after the Night King died, Jorah's previous stab wounds killed him.

This show makes sense now, oh my God.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It honestly feels like there's a bandwagon of people who got more into the show after it stopped being dark and political and became Star Wars.

Yes, In many of those watch parties or communities in general there is a wild idea that the first few seasons sucked massive monkey dick and it started to become actually interesting after a few seasons, with walkers and dragons being a thing and the complicated politics being left behind. That idea seems to have a lot of agreement on many sides.

Apart from goons being goons, I can see a lot of people disliking some of the show in general or this episode in particular as it took this turn and now focuses other things. I think it's fair to say that you can both love and hate what the show has become, and the general trend seems to be that those who preferred the old style are now more critical about the show than those who prefer the show as it is now.

Either way, this episode was intense, exciting, visually appealing and emotional, but also had plot holes or logical problems, an anime assassin death and a lot of deus ex machina.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That Italian Guy posted:

The episode has some very nice visuals (if you can see them) but good god how the mighty have fallen.

If you don't want to kill off the main cast you can still write gut wrenching scenes...The screenwriters have so little balls that they haven't even had a scene were Sam has to put down resurrected Edd. Lyanna Mormont is resurrected literally 10 paces away from the spot where all the named characters have been fighting and they don't have to kill her again. The dead rise in an enclosed space full of defenseless people and no named character is even put into harms way somehow. Our heroes are neck deep in the dead like 5 times each and everyone is unscathed the next time we see them, including Sam of all people. I don't even want to start on all the plot without real resolution re: Night King, Bran, Melisandre and all that. I'm fine with Ninja assassin Arya - since she's clearly been shown as Jaqueen levels of badass somehow - and I actually liked the non War of the Roses plot much more, in general...but now how will they have any real threat from any non magical opponent? Arya can just off them all without any real opposition.

A few seasons ago this would have been a slaughter bigger than the Red Wedding. The last scene with an impact in the series has been Cersei blowing up the Sept of Baelor, and even that had 0 real consequences, since somehow the Faith Militant disappeared overnight with the death of the High Sparrow, the Lannister were able to capture High Garden without effort and Dorne has just...disappeared completely from the show after the named characters died out lol. They have a full army in Sunspear that has done nothing to avenge the killing of the ruling family...twice. Also I guess there are no vassal houses to the Martell in the series :v:

All of Martell and their vassals are gone, all of Tyrell and their vassals are gone (OK, some joined the lannisters, fair), all of Baratheon and their vassals are gone, the entire Lannister army is dead and now exclusively mercenaries have to do 100% of the job, the Riverlands must be a barren wasteland by now with no one ruling over any of it, too, the twin towers still have the Frey corpses laying around with no one to clean them up and now the entire north is empty, too. There are no vassals anywhere, no allegiances, no loyalties, no politics happening anywhere, no one cleaning up any mess, apparently.

A lot of the show has gone into binary mode of army 1 or army 0. Technically there should be gigantic power vacuums everywhere with smaller houses rising to the top, as they are not affected by the war of the dead or the war between Cersei and Danaerys, but somehow none of them ever come up in any abstract talk-about way, even if either of those cross their lands with their armies or dragons that fly over territories.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Binary Logic posted:

Tryion gets credit for being clever but Samwell's smarter than almost everyone else. He found out about dragonglass, he learned about Jon's parentage, he cured Jorah Mormont (who was the best fighter on 2 continents and appeared out of nowhere to save Dany) and...he was smart enough to be scared shitless about the approaching horde.

Technically he didn't learn about Jon's parentage, but about Rhaegar being married to Lyanna Stark, making the kid that Bran then was able to see born a non-bastard, but a regular Targaryen. Given he learned about that in the citadel, I'd assume among Maesters it's common knowledge that they did marry, but I doubt it was anywhere noted that she also got a son from Rhaegar, as that needed Bran powers.
Also, wasn't the cure for Jorah just to cut off the poo poo? Which was a known cure, but he was the only one risky enough to do it.

The rest is true though and he surely still is easily the smartest man in Westeros, as he's a personification of GRRM himself.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Chalks posted:

Anyone think they might bring back the night king in some plot twist later on?

No way, I mean, it would be completely dumb and weird or actually, perhaps, yeah probably. Most likely.

Part of me hopes that there at least is some kind of tension regarding that, the other part is happy that they want to go with human politics now, but somehow I'm afraid D&D&D will mix it up altogether.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Tei posted:

It will be remembered as "too dark to see poo poo" night.

Imagine how dire the situation would have been without Melisandre.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

God, why does she always have to look so :smug:?
She doesn't have the greatest smile in history, but this is just mean. Also because she exclusively smiles for bad news.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

That's fair.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are they really, after a decade of setting up Daenerys as the good ruler of the world, going to make her a mad woman.

like loving lmao are you loving kidding me

After anime Arya, everything is possible. And likely.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Vichan posted:

Are we allowed to discuss the leaks here?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887003
Join us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

lmao, finally this show makes sense again