Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
All that is certain is: one way or another, the Iron Bank Goons get to poo poo on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Zombie Cat was stupid and I'm glad they didn't and always laughed when some dipshit pipes up they still expected to see her pop up in literally every season past the third one.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Reading that character list, I realize that the biggest differences from the book I legit find bad is literally every time D&D went: "You know this thing that's common knowledge in the books, but it's not really the truth? Well ACKHTUALLY..."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

beanieson posted:

As a non book reader I’m not sure what you mean here, can you give an example?

I might've phrased myself a little differently there, but from said post I'm mentioning:

quote:

Stannis: reported dead outside Winterfell, actually not

It would be legit interesting to see the Boltons try to spread disinformation against him, to what extent it would work and that whole campaign a bit more involved rather than just 'Stannis makes a beeline for Winterfell like it's the only thing that exists'.

Instead we just got Ramsay's '20 good men' and then this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdu7SW7_RMk You know how Stannis might be a dumbass personality-wise, but is considered one of the best commanders in warfare, strategy and tactics? Well actually, he was poo poo and he's dead Jim!

But okay, maybe that's just due to the constraints of show time when it comes to television. Then how about this?

quote:

Theon: Stannis' prisoner after fleeing Ramsay with Jeyne, Ramsay's wife who was presented as Arya Stark to legitimize the Bolton's hold on the North

Putting someone that's an alleged Stark into Ramsay's paws is interesting, since it lures the Boltons into a false sense of security and when the truth eventually comes out it's likely a lot of the North will turn on them due to this legitimacy problem. And you know how Littlefinger might be a creepy perv that's grooming Sansa, but he'd absolutely never let her out of his sphere of control and likely has as many spies as Varys? Well actually, he doesn't know poo poo about the new heir-apparent to the Boltons and is fine with just giving them Sansa (the key to northern legitimacy) so that we get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASa0P9C9_Wk

And then there's...

quote:

The Hound: reported dead, actually alive and at peace among a group of monks

When I saw how the show did this initially, I was like: "Alright, I guess peasant commune with a former war vet as leader could also work towards having the Hound's character evolve." You know how The Hound's endless disappointment over life finally leads him to a place where he can find some peace? Well actually, gently caress that, everyone in that commune that likes peace can get slaughtered, The Hound goes right back to who he was, doesn't change one bit and we get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTmijXxWnZk. Although to be fair, I did really like one other scene that kinda walked this back a bit in the following season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3ewhmILNc

The book's greatest strengths are characterization + their evolution and the setting itself being very fleshed out. And whenever D&D don't take advantage of that as much as possible, choosing to instead just pick the simpler and easier answer as opposed to a more nuanced one, the show just turns into far more simplistic shlock.

It also makes up my mind about D&D as not necessarily lovely writers, but just mediocre ones. They were pretty good at adapting the books' already written stuff onto the TV, but the moment they ran out of material and had to start inventing their own they instead came up with lacking answers or had alumni like Dave Hill come up with them. Pick your poison lol.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 21, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

lezard_valeth posted:

3 more hours of shift left.

Can someone remind me why Bran represents a threat to the NK at all? Or why would he be interrsted in him?

Heck why was the NK threatened by the old guy in the tree at all?

All they've ever done was invade his private me time

Imagine being able to see at any time where any and all enemy forces are via ravens in a world where no one else, other than yourself, can do that. And as if that wasn't enough, I'm sure there's some other magic reason we'll get to.

But anyway...clearly I posted criticism itt so I must think this show is entirely total garbage. It's not. This episode was alright and yea, callbacks were still needed for something that ran this long, but unfortunately Dave Hill can't write dialogue to save his loving life. Or rather, the simplest dialogue sections were the ones that worked best (Brienne being knighted, Jaime and Bran at start, Tormund's origin story).

Next episode tho is Miguel Sapochnik as director, so no - it's gonna be the battle for sure and I doubt King's Landing gets hit via dragon unless they want to be accused of 'teleportation' again by lore nerds. And a lot of the death predictions I am honestly not that sure of. Theon, deffo, if there's any integrity and Bran almost definitely too (or he's revealed to be the Night King if the conspiracy side was actually right, in which case they better explain it real good in the show). The others tho are less certain to me...except that either Jaime or Brienne will die, but not both of them and not neither of them. Jorah does seem likely too, along with Greyworm and Berric,...basically any character out of whom no more drama can be squeezed I mark as 'likely' to die.

Either way, so far season is okay. It's not really my cup of tea, but then again I was bracing myself for a lot worse with Dave Hill and somehow I wasn't cringing 100% of the way and actually liked some scenes still. And Arya + Gendry sex scene is probably the closest to being faithful to GRRM he's ever gotten so...I guess grats for that???

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 22, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheRat posted:

"calling you hosed wouldn't be strictly accurate" is easily the best line of the show btw

Hey...even a Dave Hill can get his day.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I think it's undestandable for folks to be uncomfortable about Arya sex scene (kids growing up that way always does a number on your head one way or the other). That said, lmao at them accusing anyone who hasn't googled her age at that exact moment a pedo. Some of us can count the years that have passed since this show started.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Ros could've been good if they actually had a longer-term plan for her (and I legitimately thought that was what they were going for - an average citizen that survives all this madness), but nah - get rekt by Joffrey randomly. :(

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheRat posted:

Wasn't that the result of a contract dispute?

Littlefinger is a harsh litigator.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

turtlecrunch posted:

Any spiders next Sunday?
Any spiders, big as hounds?

I am gonna hype myself up for the next episode with nothing but this.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Alchenar posted:

Also it's been played so that she's been creepily predatory towards Gendry. If the genders were reversed I think the scene and the character interaction would be even more uncomfortable.

Then again, this would be how a kid would think it works if they'd spent their formative pubescent years worried about rapers while on the road and then finished with training to be a predatory assassin in Bravos. So as creepy as it was, I buy it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

BlackStar posted:

She's been a child the entire series. Am I just to assume that since HBO has written a sex scene for her that the character is 18?

What a sweet, precocious child she always was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4O9IWLoABU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Admit it, you don't watch the show and just want to hand-wring itt.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Spoke Lee posted:

How small do you guys think the chances are that the Night King dies and the remaining 3 episodes are the fallout and the fight for the throne? I hope not but I wonder.

If they want to rip off Lord of the Rings movies with a ton of endings that never loving end, sure it's possible.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
If the writers were really good, I'd be cheering for it to happen too, but yea...no way would they accurately portray that after the big natural threat is over, the only threat that remains is that we don't eat each other alive.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Man, gossip magazines have seriously hit a new low if they're trying to present an affair between those two IRL as anything even remotely believable.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dazerbeams posted:

I enjoy show Euron. He’s just there to have a good time. Crazy and loving life and he killed those Sand Snakes.

And also to taunt Jaime.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Screw Ellaria, I wanna know if the shame nun's still alive. She did nothing wrong.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
^ We've already had him begging her while on death's doorstep so yea...I'd be amazed if they go that low.

Zerilan posted:

Yeah, their introduction was basically being the ones to enforce homosexuality as a punishable sin. They deserved what they got.

To be sure, High Sparrow and Lancel and all the other religious idiots can burn for eternity. But I always felt Shame Nun was just doing her job with a lot of gusto and that job happened to be tormenting Cersei so... :shrug:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Oh man...what if Cersei looks like she's about to die, but at the last moment Sallador Saan swoops in, saves and elopes with her? Cuz that'd be the biggest upset I can think of, yet one that I could also totally live with lol.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Myrcella, her daughter, did if I remember right. So it could be an interesting way for her to come back from insanity to learn it in her memory. :unsmith: But yea...this daydreaming of Cersei, the pirate queen, will 99% certainly remain a dream. :smith:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is that Beinoff and Weiss Confederate show still going to happen? It would have be a John-From-Cincinnati-level bomb anyway, but man it just seems like a worse and worse idea every time I think about it.

Is the pitch like “can you imagine a world where white supremacy causes black people to be treated unfairly? It’s no longer just a fantasy!”?

I feel like Man in the High Castle already scratches that itch fine and doubt D&D would write better than that.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did the show ever explain how he came to be a good zombie? I guess it’s something the children of the forest could do but didn’t bother teaching Bran to do.

They plunged dragonglass in his heart and that...somehow saved him, yea, they didn't explain it further.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's bad show watchers and then there's confusing Benjen with the Night King somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UsSH1E01LM&t=326s

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Doltos posted:

The women in the show seem to all be a victim of badass writing. I get it makes the twitter crowds cheer when Arya kills all the Freys or Sansa pulls out the big political intrigue guns on Littlefinger, but if every girls a badass then they aren't special. Even Cersei lacks the depth of book Cersei by turning her into an unrelenting mean queen.

I feel like most of this can be fixed by writers remembering that 'badass' only rarely means 'ice cold bitch' when it comes to women. Like...the way Dany stands up to Viserys for the first time in Season 1 is MILES more badass in my book than any number of people that she burns later with a smug/cold stare.

Also as the above posters said...Brienne's prolly the only badass woman on the show atm I consider to be perfect and yea...it's precisely because in her private times she acts out her vulnerabilities and hangups while doing what she has to the rest of the time. It actually makes her feel like a human being.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 25, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'd say Margery, like the Tyrells, was only as strong as the allies she made in the end, tho she was very good at making them and knew how to play that game. At first said allies were the Lannisters directly with Joffrey, but then it became Tommen aaaaand...yea, he was too weak to defend her properly. So she got nabbed by the Sparrows and came under their 'protection', but they were religious idiots that severely underestimated Cersei, so the Tyrells died thanks to being dragged down by the stupidity of those they worked with, essentially.

Olenna was the only one that escaped that fate...and she, too, died due to Tyrion being a dunce with his strategy.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Welp, I see my death predictions were pretty drat on-point, except for both Brienne AND Jaime surviving *sigh* Ah well...whatever...

And Arya obviously has super jump powers of some kind, because while I'm okay with her doing the shiv, that...sequence,...whatever that was...it really could've been established better where the gently caress exactly she came from when there's a ring of undead corpses in her way, just a handful of which almost killed her a few minutes ago.

Otherwise episode was pretty cool. Humans are dumb as gently caress obviously and are all holding the idiot ball in some way, but I did at least love NK raising his arms when Jon Snuh tried charging at him...I swear I thought that's all he really needed to do when I saw him sense his approach, and sure enough he didn't dissapoint! Rest in ice, cool dude!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 1, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

veni veni veni posted:

The show ends with the US Military rolling in and shutting the whole thing down while Drowning Pool's "bodies" blasts in the background, and the final shot pans out to George W Bush on an aircraft carrier in front of a Mission Accomplished banner.

A modern version of this, then, basically?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRxwBb7ev1Y&t=75s

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

esperterra posted:

b/c she owns and she knows it

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Xae posted:

This is what I love about the argument.

Everyone trying to goonsay about tactics to prove how smart they are is just proving that they're so dumb they miss the point.

Pretty much the same.

I mean...since about Season 5 I've given up trying to justify this as anything resembling to coherent real-world tactics and strategy and just try to enjoy the spectacle without my brain turned on while hoping the narrative, story and characters are worth it and every now and again they have been. But yea,...still 3 more episodes to go so...

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Vehementi posted:

No, Jon and others who were part of the planning directly observed the fast flowing sea of undead at Hardhome, and would have extensively briefed the defense planners (Jamie, Brienne, Tyrion, Dany, etc.). They would not hilariously be under the impression that the undead are just slow and easily breakable.

This is why I mention everyone in this episode carrying the idiot ball at some point or another.

They could've been extensively briefed on how the undead move and what worked best from Hardhome survivors
They could've positioned catapults better
They could've prepared the goddamn barricades with pitch, so it only took a single flaming arrow to set it off, no fire priestess begging Lord of Light for his fire until she really wants it needed.
They could've organized rotating battlement guards to nonstop keep smacking corpses downwards, so that it would've been physically impossible for the undead to breach the walls until there was a literal sea of undeath around Winterfell
Arya could've spoken up that she'd hang around Bran and make that as part of the plan to merk the NK. Instead she just randomly gets put on that path by fire priestess via her silly prophecy (again, fire priestess not really needed).

On that note...said priestess really did feel like she was there to save them all from the idiot ball:

Oh, you're gonna charge into the loving darkness and wildly swing your arakhs, hoping your blows land? Use fire!
Oh, you didn't prepare the barricade with pitch? Here - lemme hold your loving hands while hoping you cover my rear end.
Oh, you didn't think your best assassin asset would be best placed near Bran, where you know the Night King's gonna be and instead had her do some random fighting and play her survival minigame? Get out there and merk him already!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

General Dog posted:

For an 80 minute battle scene, bad/unrealistic tactics are forgivable, but poorly established stakes are not.

Also agreed tho. I mean...I was seriously hoping we get some idea of what exactly it is that Bran did with the ravens and that makes the NK so intent on making sure he (and it has to be specifically him for some reason, not just some rando undead) kills him, but we still get loving NOTHING Aasfhgasugaqewuzgfdsaefsaw

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 2, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Crow Jane posted:

Idk, I figured warging into the ravens enabled him to both kinda keep an eye on the NK and acted as a sort of beacon to let the NK know where he was

Sure, that's been the reason up till now, but then that whole 'You are this world's memory' speech by Samwell makes me think: "Okay - cool...guess we're gonna see how exactly that works as the ultimate trump card against NK's overpowerdness" but no...we get nothing...nothing...and now that NK's dead ughhh...I'm fully expecting it's gonna be more exposition through dialogue and 'Bran wargs into X' poo poo through time and space that will be so disjointed as to make zero sense at all.

The Night King provided the unique chance to demonstrate Three Eyed Raven's abilities on a focused target, so that the viewer can understand it. Now without that target and with the writing quality deffo not being up to it, I am fully preparing myself for some stupid :lost: poo poo that won't make any drat sense at all by the end of this show.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

wilderthanmild posted:

I went back and watched the S4E9 Watchers on the Wall. I always forget how awesome that episode was. Especially the part with the one shot that just does a 360 degree pan of all the chaos in Castle Black. Tormund running around like a cartoon villain is amazing.

Comparing just how understandable and clear the positions of every actor and flow of that battle is compared to this one at Winterfell is very telling. And yea, Tormund running around on that wall, laughing and slaying along the way was ace...it's still why I find popping on Smash Mouth's All Star when White Walkers are owning everyone tends to improve the scene by a factor of 10.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh no we didn’t see her specifically learn to jump far when she was training with supernatural assassins, what a glaring plot hole.

While I agree with the rest (and actually did mostly enjoy this last ep regardless of my misgivings), this really is a plot hole since I don't remember said supernatural assassins going all Jumpin' Jack Flash at any time in the 7 seasons before this (and lord knows they were given quite a bit of screen time). It was bad storytelling with no setup whatsoever, regardless of how 'realistic' it was or not, hence I will keep calling it out. Sorry...guess that means I think it's all bad or something!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 2, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
That quote specifically means he did not intend it. And even if he did, stories involving some 'ancient evil' threatening to destroy the world, or just a massive natural/god-induced disaster, go all the way back to all the Great Flood oral tradition myths found in literally every ancient culture in every corner of the globe. It's probably a good contender for 'oldest goddamn story idea in the world'.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 4, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
When she's acting opposite Jaime or Tyrion in S7, I was like: "Yesss - feed this into my veins!" since it was one of the few things I could be genuinely hyped about without any fear of disappointment. But yea, I don't see her having much to work with in this season TBH.

Or hell, Alfie Allen would've earned an emmy too in my book. It's insanely easy to gently caress up a character that gets abused like his did by overdoing it in any direction (either by playing him too much like a cartoon villain at first or like a victim with an irredeemably broken soul), and he managed to pull off the mix of pain and limited agency that gets him through it just right imo. But yea, give it to Jon Snuh or crazy dragon lady instead I guess. As far as Tyrion's performances tho, the one that I feel absolutely stand out for me is the one he gave in S4, his whole breakdown during his trial is some amazingly good poo poo. The rest tho yea...he's started going through the motions a lot more as time went by.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 5, 2019

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Guest posted:

I am really enjoying reading tweets from people who thought the show was still good getting mad because :syoon:KHALEESI:syoon: just turned into a massive psycho.

link the best hits pls

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Also, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! Esp. if you're a mother of dlagons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Your red text is well earned, I see.