Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

This has probably been said pages and pages ago but I only just stumbled on the thread: I never got why in the show Jaime wasn't more of a master of the sword, he could barely hold out to Ned in season one and Brienne basically stomped him before he got his hand cut off when in the books he's really really scary which makes the hand cutting off thing when you finally get to see what goes on in his mind even more of a gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

bobjr posted:

Even when he was captured it was because the North all bumrushed Jaime at the same time, and he still took a fair number down

They unhorsed him and he responded by going through the soldiers until he got to Robb and the only way they could stop him is by dogpiling him.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

No Wave posted:

Jaime was beating Ned pretty handily I thought. For a non-book reader that scene was mind blowing because Jamie is characterized as some spoiled rich douchebag in decorative gold armor who you assumed was weak because he stabbed the king in the back and made up the stuff about being a real soldier. His going out and fighting and crushing ned's bodyguard dude was an incredible moment because it completely made me re-evaluate the character.

The whole formal power level of good swordsmen doesnt really exist as a concept in the show like it apparently does in the books.

I get that Ned was a good fighter and I may just be on my Jaime fanhorse making me see that fight skewed but...when he had both his hands Jaime was supposed to be a legend, like Dayne.

This season is killing me Jaime wise though 7 seasons of character development and then he just...aaaargh.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I do love that moment where after two years he finally gets to hold a sword again and you can see him become so much happier and more at ease.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Cersei should stroke out on the toilet and the ending credits should just be a ten minutes long wet fart.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I don't care about anyone in this city. - things a man who once backstabbed a king and carried the revulsion it brought with it to save the people of the city totally says.

Oh Jaime...fuuuuuuuck. I know I'm a Jamie fanboy, but this just feels so...meh.

On the GRRM being a bad writer now thing, can someone explain that to me? When did it start? I'm fine taking this to PMs or getting a forum link. Thanks in advance guys.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I did like the Jaime/Tyrion hug :3 I liked crazy Dany but it could have been more of a build up. I liked clegane bowl as a spectacle. I hated the bullshit, too bad this season has been nothing but a bull backing into you while spraying poo poo like a hose.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

SirPablo posted:

Last episode, Dany will attempt to burn Jon but he will withstand Drogon's fire, thus making him the true savior. He will then kill Dany and become King.

A slightly singed crown of thorns will float down from above. The last image is Jon lifting his face to reveal Arya, who gives a sly wink towards the audience.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

The ending is going to turn out just being jon telling robb a ridiculously long version of the aristocrats joke.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I still can't get over the fact that Jaime, loving Jaime Lannister said I don't give a gently caress about the people in King's Landing.

And then had a fight with a total rando, walked up a flight of stairs with not one but two punctured lungs and then got crushed by rocks because the DM was sick of his ooc poo poo.

Also please tell me Confederacy is not something someone really thinks is a smart thing to make...

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Next episode Jaime wakes up, pushes the cardboard rubble off Cersei and himself and coughs once.

He looks at Cersei. "Lannister Lion?"

She grins. "Lannister Lion."

They do the fusion dance and turn into a three headed, golden lion. One of the heads is really small and shouts " I'm the baby !"

Queur fight with Dany and Drogon.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

Why the gently caress does Tyrion want Cersei happy? She has made his life miserable since day one. If anyone wants Cersei to die it is Tyrion. That poo poo makes no sense.

Is it just because Jaime wants it?

I think so. Jaime just kinda forgot he was angry at Cersei too.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Ser say.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm pretty sure Renly also didn't dislike Stannis. He just couldn't believe him as a King because Stannis can't get people to love him/is too severe.

He's super surprised when he ends up dead.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

That Bronn foursome in the first episode was so cringeworthy and dumb.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

From pages ago but people talking about GoT the musical made me remember that one interview with Gwendoline Christie and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Gwen offhandedly mentioning ASoIaF on ice and Nikolaj absolutely losing his poo poo in excitement.

Their interviews were the best.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I didn't actually know the books were supposed to timeskip. Do you think he accidentally started Jaime's redemption arc? Or was that something that was always going to happen?

I wonder of we would be enjoying a ginished series now if he had timeskipped.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Thank you sincerely for this very informative post. :)

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

pmchem posted:

Were the white walkers or night king mentioned even once in the final two episodes?

Amazing how an epic arc was just dropped and forgotten.

If you think about it, this is really poignant considering they're a metaphor for global catastrophe.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I wonder if Nikolaj Coster-Waldau knows how different show!Jaime is from book!Jaime and if he would have preferred to be that Jaime or for that matter if Nena Headley is kinda bummed about her character not getting very weird like in the books. Or Rickon's actor (I must not zig or zag) because I'm pretty sure he's a weird little monster atm in the books.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think in the books it's a very high possibility that Tyrion, who despises everyone in his family INCLUDING Jaime, is going to be the proverbial devil on Dany's shoulder screaming for her to burn the city.

Book Tyrion is a colossal rear end in a top hat, but his hatred of his family is admittedly very well deserved by what they cut from the show.

In the books Jaime reveals that Tyrion's first wife, Tysha, who he legitimately loved, wasn't just some whore Tywin and Jaime arranged for. She really was a mere peasant girl who really did legitimately love Tyrion, and they forced him to both watch and participate in her gang rape.

Honestly I liked that that part was cut out of the show. The books are already way into rape and it makes me queasy as gently caress and I have to skip through it most of the time. I liked the fact that Tyrion and Jaime kept a more amicable relationship in the series and that a random peasant girl wasn't loving raped by a whole contingent of soldiers...seriously wtf Martin.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Remind me, which one is Victarion again?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

YaketySass posted:

Balon is Theon and Asha's rear end in a top hat father, Euron is the crazy sorcerer dude, Victarion is the dumb-even-by-Ironborn-standards brute with a lava hand.

christmas boots posted:

He's the one who Vikings in full-plate armor with a charred and smoking hand who constantly reminds himself that every gift his brother gives is trap in some way while also having sex with the prostitute his brother gave him and telling her all about his plans to betray his brother trusting that she can't snitch on him because his brother said she was mute.

Oh yeaaaaaaaaaah. I honestly forgot him and how much of a tit he was.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

CrazyLoon posted:

I honest-to-god couldn't stand to keep reading the books halfway through book 1. I think for me the joke of it is...GRRM writes good plot and manages to wrangle the structure and character arcs into very cool, believable and interesting shapes, BUT then we come to the way in which he describes the characters doing things. With everyday regular things he's okay-ish to a point and then he reaches an intense or super-important part of the story and dear god, yea...usually the edge is too loving much for me TBH. And I love to read things just yea...not in that style. It's 'Arya twirling Needle while teleports behind you, nothing personel kid' times 100 sometimes, I swear. And in interviews I get that he said that 'he wants his readers to feel the same things' but...you can do it without dribbling out that many words in that kind of edgy way, old dude.

I got through the books but it got to be a slog in the end, sometimes it really feels like he's just putting words down because people expect his novels to be long. And him and Tolkien both have this fetish for lavishly describing meals (and GRRM has a scat fetish, he has to)

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I thought Sam was the self-insert? I mean he already made being fat a super power as well.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Khal Drogo I'm pretty sure.

e- Alhazred!:shakefist:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

Controversial opinion: I actually like that Jamie and Tyrion have a good relationship in the show when they don't in the books.It just "feels right" and fleshes out the characters more.

I don't think it's that controversial an opinion. I share it so that's two of us already :D

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

oliwan posted:

Edgar Allen Poe: a 19th century writer well known for his sprawling short stories featuring multiple "gardened" character arcs

Lovecraft? I mean I'd say racist, not 'gardener'.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Dude could you chill, you're the one flipping out and calling people names for not agreeing with you about gardening in writing.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

McCloud posted:

Just as an aside, man is show tyrion way more handsome than his counterpart. Book Tyrion looks like a drat goblin

And has no nose and a huge gently caress off scar.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just a reminder, we have Maisie Williams to thank for that Ed Sheeran cameo

She was just a fan, it was the showrunners who asked him to cameo as a surprise for her. And honestly it's not the worst thing they did.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

RAPE and kill his sister...

Jesus Christ. The books may as well as be called "A Song of Edgelords."

It seems that the books can be every bit as dumb as the show.

Don't worry, there are parts where it gets even dumber.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

Please give examples.

Darkstar, Batman but evil and better than batman but he only beats on little girls.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night."

That line...

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

There's also that line about Cersei eating Robert's cum because she was eating his heirs or something...

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Strong Belwas making GBS threads on someone's chest.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why does he only beat on little girls?

Because the world is a harsh and dark place.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Yes but how would you make it bad?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

You guys actually like my ideas?

I think your ideas could be fun or make for good television if you had the same time to work on them that D&D got and the budget they had. *shrug* Maybe it would become a bit of mindless television, but I think it could be fun :)

I am however, an idiot so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

So you think Euron will blow up the Wall with a controlled dragon?