Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Dazerbeams posted:

Great show. Bran sat outside all day and all night waiting for Jaime to show up.

Oh lord. When Sam asked Bran what was he doing and Bran said he was waiting for an old friend I took it to mean that he was waiting for Sam to tell him to tell Jon about his real parents, because reasons.

Nope, he really was waiting for Jaime and did sit the whole day there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Alchenar posted:

Literally every season's first episode has been 60 minutes of scene setting and reintroduction to characters, I don't know why it still surprises people.

The whole point of the story being told is that people are selfish and short sighted and despite enormous amounts of forewarning are incapable of putting their short-term concerns aside in order to deal with the climate change causing monsters before it is too late.

Oh it's global cooling now again is it huh? GRRM :argh:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

esperterra posted:

lmbo

For me it was more him inexplicably taking his wife and child to battle with him when he very pointedly makes them stay safe at the wall w/ Melly Sanders in the books, and it just snowballing from there. Him then burning Shireen is p hilarious when the Theon chapter released from Winds has Stannis specifially giving orders to make sure she is put on the throne should he die in the battle w/ the Boltons.

imo Melisandre is going to burn Shireen at the wall after having a vision about Stannis or Jon needing it probably. Or sacrifice her to bring back Jon idk

I think the showrunners said back then that Stannis burning Shireen was from Gurm and recently Gurm said that the show will finish pretty much the way the books will, apart from what happens to some minor characters.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
arya is 100% dead

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
There is no way that what Sansa says in the beginning of the trailer for next ep "The most heroic thing we can do now is to look the truth in the face" isn't referring to telling everyone to get the hell out of dodge when the battle starts going bandly for them. RIP Winterfell.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Alchenar posted:

At the pace they've set themselves the entire 6 episodes have to be set at Winterfell otherwise it's going to be really weird. All the characters are now gathered, they've spent 1/3 of their runtime doing setup for the climax at Winterfell, it's all got to happen at Winterfell. Trying to rush close off everything else in the last two episodes by having the cast teleport around won't work.

Even the title sequence shows that King's Landing will play a big part in this season. There will be plenty teleporting around.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm leaning more into the idea that Tyrion's going to do a treachery before the season's out. It won't be episode 3, but he's being set up now as being untrustworthy and weirdly petulant about the Jon/Dany pairing. I don't think it's great characterization but I'm reminded of his line "I never bet against my family" from way the hell long ago. Maybe he'll be intercepted by Bronn beforehand?

I'd say Tyrion will die in the crypt in next episode.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Mike N Eich posted:

Tyrion dying after like 3 straight seasons of either doing nothing or loving things up and looking like a moron would be a sad way to end his character arc.

Definitely. It's just that there were multiple references to how the crypt is definitely safe in this episode and even Tyrion was sent there because it's super-duper safe. He might be able to escape from the crypt but there will 110% be a massacre there.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Crow Jane posted:

Eh, even if he does die, how he dies remains to be seen. I wouldn't really bet on him dying though, at least not yet.

Also going "character X dies" is a coin toss at this point.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

ijii posted:

I wonder why after 3 greatly successful seasons of GoT GRRM didn't have the motivation to put more time in his books. I wonder how much input GRRM had in these last two seasons to keep it somewhat in line with what he was thinking. Either way, GoT has been a fun and interesting experiment.

GRRM hasn't had anything to do with the show at all for the past few seasons, though he has recently said that the books will have the same ending as the show apart from what happens to some minor characters.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
So the last of the three "holy poo poo" moments Gurm told the show writers was Arya shanking Night's King since everyone was expecting Jon to do that.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The Bran warging to ravens was just a way to end the scene and cut to a aerial view of the battlefield. It won't be brought up in the show.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

They state in the post-episode commentary that they always planned it to be Arya for 3~ years I think. Which would have been season 6-7

It's nice of them to say they are just winging it.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Invalid Validation posted:

The white walkers are a metaphor for climate change/apocalyptic world changing event. It's paralleled to our real life politics where everyone is fighting and squabbling while the existential threat keeps bearing down on them and everyone has to find the time to stop fighting or kill everyone antagonistic off to deal with the threat. That's probably why it isn't quite satisfying for a lot of people.

And then it turns out it really wasn't a threat at all. D&D you denialist scum :argh:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Gortarius posted:

So what the gently caress was the point of that scene with tyrion and sansa where they are seemingly about to kill themselves but then tyrion just walks three steps to the side and nothing happens, the scene is over.

Most likely it's to show them "bonding" so that we'll believe when they decide to get married again at the end of the show. That together with Arya/Gendry will see the three big Westerosi houses joined. I'm 110% certain that's where this is heading.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

lezard_valeth posted:

What three big westerosi houses, the Baratheon line, army and household are completely decimated, the red comet might have wiped Storm's End off the map for all the show cares.

If Gendry makes it alive till the end he will just be a puppet lord since he has no real proof of his claims nor an army to support him.

There will be an army if the plot requires it, just like the northern guys will have a full army to march south to King's Landing. I don't think there will be a need for it though, he'll just be legitimized and someone will mention an union between the great houses and that will be that.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

CrazyLoon posted:

As far as Tyrion's performances tho, the one that I feel absolutely stand out for me is the one he gave in S4, his whole breakdown during his trial is some amazingly good poo poo.

Still makes me lol how different the show was.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I'm not sure if a death of a dragon can even be considered a spoiler at this point since we've seen the war machines designed to murder dragons way too many times and they haven't done anything yet.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
What a wonderfully angry derail was caused by one actress saying one sentence.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Its Coke posted:

I'm okay with there being a large negative reaction when someone says something racist or sexist. Don't be a freeze peach guy

Then go be upset about someone saying a racist or sexist thing since the internet is full of those things. What she said was neither.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

TrixR4kids posted:

That's fine and all but he just seems like a total waste of potential as a character. I suppose he isn't the only one at this point but imo he stands out in that regard.

Bran's arc ended last week since it was all about the Others even though he didn't do anything last week. There were spoilers last year which had a lot of stuff right about the battle in Winterfell, includin Bran in Godswood as bait. Though he was with Meera and not Theon in those spoilers and ended up watging the undead dragon before finally dying.

It's safe to say Bran won't be seen again or will just say one or two senteces which won't amount to anything.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Tender Bender posted:

Oberyn was great and worked within the context of his season, but given the show runners apparent priorities it seems like a massive mistake to have spent any time on Dorne after that, they should have gone more in on the Iron Islands to better develop that plot, giving Yara more than two scenes per season and investing in eldritch euron.

Didn't they say budget being an issue and that they had to choose between Dorne and Iron Islands and they went with Dorne because Spain and sunshine.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Bregor posted:

rofl

Also I think the Jaime leaving scene can be read both ways, which is why it's one of the few interesting bits of the ep. Brienne's crying was a bit much, more romantic heartbreak than fellow honorable knight riding off to his death.

I imagine the intended takeaway is that Jaime is off to be with / help Cercei so it'll be a twist that in the end Jaime will kill her.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah it's not just reddit/SA/etc, a lot of people are disappointed with how this season has gone down. There was no way to satisfy every one but they've done a good job of burning a lot of good will.

This is probably the reason D&D have been spending the past year saying the ending won't please everyone. It's not a statement about where the story goes but preempting criticism about the quality.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

WHY BONER NOW posted:

A friend of mine has a theory that hound will kill mountain, but get hosed up and arya will have to mercy kill him. That would work for me

That seems plausible especially since they brought up the Arya leaving Hound for dead thing in their short scene.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Roland Jones posted:

it made me think of that video where Kit admitted that he was pissed after learning how the Night King would be defeated

Can you link it? I haven't even heard about it but it makes sense.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

The best part is Nathalie Emmanuel stopping smiling and quickly glancing sideways when the reporter says "she didn't say yes".

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

teagone posted:

Wait... really? What the gently caress then?

After red wedding episode aired, D&D said it was one of the primary reasons they wanted to do the story and that even if the show was cancelled after that they'd be fine with it.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Tei posted:

Varys move was to tell lords that jon was the right king.
Dany move was “yea, but I have dragons, bend the knee or I will burn your castle”

Varys pulled a Ned move and it ended as well as it did for Ned.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Previews aren't spoilers right?

RIP king's landing

There's a picture of Hitler like this but without the rubble in the background. They're going all in lmao

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol D&Ds logic is literally if you kill some slave masters and warlords you’re one step away from killing a million unarmed civilians. Cool.

Well they are preparing for Confederate after all.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
You're being too harsh on D&D. They just wanted to honour GRRM by failing to deliver.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
It's a good thing her magic kept her alive to help the dothraki commit suicide.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The Red God thing was probably the biggest fart of them all in this series. Beric was brought back to life a whole lot of times so he could do his best Jesus impression because Arya felt woozy. Melisandre's whole purpose was to tell Arya she would close blue eyes, did you get it Arya BLUE EYES huh. Then it was fine for her to kill herself. Jon was brought back for a purpose though that fizzled and Jon had no purpose.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

U-DO Burger posted:

it was thanks to him that there was an organized defense against the army of the dead, and he killed dany

both of those are pretty big

But killing Dany had nothing to do with Jon's alledged purpose from the Red God since it was supposed to be all about the Others.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

13Pandora13 posted:

So like...literally none prophecies came to fruition, right? Azor Ahai, Valonquar, so on?

I mean, nothing in this series amounted to anything, but I feel like tying up no loose ends prophecy wise is kind of dumb even if the tie-off was some garbage off-hand comment about "well seers are all drunks," notwithstanding the one last season that was seemingly planted to imply Dany was going to gt pregnant by Jon (also for no payoff).

It's not a big surprise a lot of plot threads were abandoned since D&D made it clear they had no plan for White Walkers and ended up deciding how they would be defeated only after season 6 and they filmed death scenes for a few characters for the finale and the decision to not to use them was only done when piecing the episode together.They wanted a resolution that packed the most punch in their opinion and things were discarded to achieve that.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Just Chamber posted:

-Ayra gets on the white horse, the pale horse of death

People insisting on white horse of death is the silliest thing to come from this season. The horse death rode on was pale (as in dead) and not white. The rider symbolising conquest was riding a white horse.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Wasn't the hand thing just in a promo pic and in the episode Jaime had his golden hand?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

gh0stpinballa posted:

season 8: the long night is actually a long night. it's apocalyptic af. the white walkers attack everywhere. team dany/jon have to resort to more and more desperate measures to prevent the army of the dead expanding. abandoning territory, scorched earth policies, etc. jon wracked with guilt while dany develops a taste for it, gets all messianic and poo poo about the greater good

The show ended in a truly spectacularily awful way, but this type of thing would really change the point of Dany. She wasn't a well meaning person who got driven mad by war. She was always a massive power hungry turd who believed everything she did was great and just because her yes-men kept telling her so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Asgerd posted:

I'm still mad we never got to see D&D's take on Darkstar

It's very method, turns out that D&D were Darkstar.