Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

LeafHouse posted:

Me: Wow, they seem pretty confident they're going to take the city with their decimated and battle weary army even after Euron wiped out their fleet and killed a dragon from a mile away with ease. Cersei has the legendary Golden Company we keep hearing about too. I wonder what their plan is... Oh, she's just going to fly directly at the scorpions and destroy them then wipe out the whole Golden Company in one pass while her army stands there. Huh, okay...

The early seasons were so great with characters triumphing due to clever plots and planning but now this whole loving season has just been *things happen*

I watched a few seasons of Doctor Who and every solution to a problem on that show is the doctor being like "luckily my wimblejibbet can interact with subspace time formations and make the bad guy disappear" and I just have to be like "oh, it can do that huh" and just accept that the solution is never anything you could possibly see coming because it's all just handwaved away. I assume that's like part of the sort of tongue in cheek thing of the show, that it's somewhat satire like people over explaining everything in JoJo

but yeah on here I just kept going oh the one dragon can do that huh and just had that feeling like it was not on purpose at all lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

It's an average of all critic reviews that come from news media outlets.

it's not actually an average, it's how many were positive or negative

a film that receives a 6/10 from every critic would get a 100%

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
someone was asking for other shows that are good and HBO's Barry, the dumb comedy about a hitman who loves acting, is legitimately better lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

why do people call it a comedy? I watched an episode or two and there's less humor than the sopranos had.

weird comparison since the sopranos is low key one of the funniest shows ever

like I get what you're saying, I'm not addressing your point directly, I just think the sopranos was fuckin hysterical so that's an odd one to compare it to

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

"Get this. The guy was an interior decorator. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians!"

"...his house looked like poo poo."

literally I'm not kidding that was the first exact scene I was thinking of

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yea I shouldn't have called it a comedy I guess I can't remember exactly how it was marketed

I guess it's a drama that has a lot of very funny parts like you said like the sopranos or breaking bad or justified or better call saul

i mean poo poo as bad as game of thrones is it had a lot of good funny scenes also

like when qyburn died, classic slapstick

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

Lena Headey has never won, and even though Cersei wasn't given too much to do this season she is probably going to win like they did with Jon Hamm and Mad Men. Though he was obviously a lot busier and MM's final season was well received.

MM's last season was way better than this poo poo

the americans had an amazing last season also if we are talking about other shows with good endings

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I re-watched that Tyrion trial scene from early in the show and he turns toward the crowd and was like "I saved this city and all your worthless lives! I should have let Stannis kill you all! I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you! I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it!"

It should have been Tyrion who says that line about not giving a poo poo about King's Landing instead of Jaime.

sometimes people say poo poo they don't mean when they are really mad though

he isn't a baby he doesn't literally blame all the people of king's landing for the way he was treated

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bregor posted:

:rip: in peace Westeros Frankenstein

no, frankenstein was the dragon

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
a professor from ~MY GIRLFRIENDALMA MATER~ wrote an article about game of thrones and why it's bad now apart from the dany heel turn thing and I mean this is obviously just one aspect of why it's bad but I think it makes an interesting point, that basically game of thrones early on focused on institutions and sociology more than personal struggles of individual characters, similar to the wire, and then switched over to being entirely focused on the stories of individuals because that's more of what hollywood is used to doing

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i can't remember was robb even trying to become the king of the seven kingdoms or were they just rebelling and wanting independence

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah the show makes robb way dumber.

wanted an independent north.

wildest part in my rewatch is realizing the slave master that talked mad poo poo about daenerys not knowing she spoke valyrian was tim driscoll from deadwood.

it was wild to me to realize that the guy that bullock is hanging in the opening scene of deadwood was Dewey Crowe on Justified

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gianthogweed posted:

Season 6 had that one really good Hodor episode which was in the middle of the season I think, not at the end.

wait the hodor explanation episode was a good episode to you?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gianthogweed posted:

Yeah, that was probably my favorite reveals of the show, actually. And I was hoping they were going to take the Bran thing further and do some sort of twist with him turning out to be Bran the Builder and later the Night King. (Sort of like what this guy had in mind: https://youtu.be/k7m6HP95EDM ) but no, instead Bran just was like "I'm a birdie!" during the battle of winterfell.

ok fair enough

to say the least it uhh did not work for me, that reveal

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dude I'm so glad the dragon melted the throne because I hate when dragons aren't smart enough to do a symbolism

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
talkin about brutus on Rome and that actor, Brutus was such a good character, he just had no agency whatsoever

the best was when he died, his last words to his servant were "Tell them I said....tell them I said something suitable"

he was such a bitch he couldn't even think of his own loving last words for himself!!!

was perfect

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Clown posted:

They exploded into dust like the white walkers when their leader was stabbed

yea it was like the legend of zelda when you kill the Most Important Bat

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alec Eiffel posted:

I do care. I am one of the few people who enjoyed this show beginning to end. The last episode pretty clearly spelled out the theme of the show, what with Drogon melting the throne.

yes that's the problem

it's clear to the point of being like incredibly hammy GET IT level symbolism

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

imo failing your creative writing students for writing and directing a fantasy show that went in a direction you personally didn't like is a bad move

I wrote a hit play HBO series and directed it, so I'm not sweating it either.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
honestly I kind of appreciate the people who come in here to go against the grain and say they liked it and like if someone goes in and goes I LIKED IT CAUSE IT WAS COOL AND METAL AND AWESOME then like sure I mean we just wanted completely different things from the show and so if you wanted like some comic book avengers poo poo then I guess you got it

my question is like I don't get how those people liked the show to begin with

like the guy who posted earlier that was like "omg it was so cool when the throne melted!!! and the speech where dany was totally evil was awesome!!" and that's what they want in a show

what was the appeal of the show to you in season 1? I feel like those people would have thought the show was just very dull for the first at least season if not more

I mean look I watch some fuckin trash shows, I watch some anime bullshit and I loved Justified which is like a great but fuckin inherently silly show (this sentence wasn't the best, I'm not saying Justified is bad, I'm just saying I love some poo poo that isn't like Serious Drama). But if I was watching like something (mostly) completely serious like I dunno The Americans and it turned into some poo poo where the main two characters solved their problems by like doing matrix poo poo and shooting 10 FBI agents then I would find that to be incredibly bad even though it might be cool in a completely different show

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 21, 2019

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

the people who watch the show in season 8 is a different set of people from season 1: because the the first season had something like ~2 million viewers and now have like 15-16

so ~90% of the people who watch today wasn't around to watch season 1 and if/when they see it, probably thought it was "boring talking". I got a feeling the 2 million who were around for season 1 are probably the same set of the people complaining the loudest.

yea that's what my wife said also and I was just baffled at the idea of anyone like watching just part of a show like this, just going "oh ok I'll just watch this dragon show from season 5 on it's fine"

I mean sure viewership is up but I assumed all those people went back and caught up? but maybe not!

maybe they just suffered through "the bad first few seasons" because it eventually gets to the cool fights!!!! like whoa dude the zombies are like totally scary and they make a big pile of bodies and poo poo like starship troopers dude!!! and then the dragon burns poo poo!!!! there's a bunch of talking for like 3 seasons but just sit through it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

even if they watched season 1 they probably thought "it was boring talking"

alternatively, they thought it was just setup to amazing dragon spearing scenes of season 7-8

yea basically I was editing in this same thing while you were posting that drat haha

that probably is what happened

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

the way i see it GoT is actually two different shows, with seasons 1-4 comprising a well written and entertaining show, while seasons 5-8 made up the poorly written but still entertaining show

I would have absolutely preferred more of what we got in the earlier seasons but that ship sailed looooong ago and I've made peace with that, so I can enjoy the later seasons for what it became because watching something poorly written but with high production values can also be fun

yeah it's just like

junk food shows are a dime a dozen so it was a shame to see something that was at one point better than that turned into one, especially in the fantasy genre. I get that lord of the rings is well made but it's like...it's not really for adults. It's still something where I didn't see it until I was in college and I just went "oh yeah I would have really liked this when I was 13." And I don't just mean like "has tits", the show at least tried to explore actual adult themes of power and politics and duty and all that poo poo somewhat

I guess going with my earlier comparison it would be like if The Americans turned into 24. Political issues aside I did enjoy 24 and its incredibly stupid brand of action but I would be really sad to see a very good drama turn into that.

Or if like Band of Brothers turned into Rambo 3 for the last three episodes

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 21, 2019

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alec Eiffel posted:

What do the masses see in this show? These plebs just don't understand, unlike I, who does. :smug:

oh I get what people see in it as far as the later seasons

I mean the big bang theory and two and a half men and poo poo like that were insanely popular, and avengers is the highest grossing movie ever

it's not like I don't get why people are entertained by it

i've seen every episode of dragon ball Z I can watch some pandering garbage but there's tons of it out there already and it was sad to see an actual good character drama in a genre that doesn't normally have actual good serious dramas turn into lowest common denominator trash because there was already plenty of trash to watch if that's what you wanted

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 22, 2019

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gianthogweed posted:

I think I'm starting to understand why people who didn't read the books hated the ending while people who did are like "eh, it was alright." At the point where the books ended, the Starks are in a way darker place than the show ever got them. I would go as far to say as they've become the villains of the story, more-so than any other family.

Jon is still dead. Arya is still a faceless assassin who kills without mercilessly without regret. Sansa is still with Little Finger in the Aeyrie and is using him to learn how to become a more ruthless politician. He thinks he has her wrapped around his little finger (pun intended), but in truth she has him wrapped around hers'. Rickon has learned how to Wharg into direwolf and he spends most of his time as a direwolf. He has gone with Osha to an island of cannibals and lives with them. He is more beast than man now.

Bran may have become the worst of the Stark kids. He is still in the cave with the three eyed raven training to become a greenseer. He has fallen in love with Meera Reed and whargs into Hodor frequently to try and put the moves on her. Meera is distraught because Jojen has disappeared, and it has been heavily implied that Bran has eaten him to complete his transformation.

And then there's Lady Stoneheart ....

Now, in the show, the Starks did go somewhat down this dark path, but they didn't dare take it as far far as GRRM was willing to. If GRRM intends to have the Starks go through a redemption arc and bring them to the happy ending he outlined, it's going to be an enormous undertaking ... which explains why it's been so difficult for him to finish.

He may actually decide to change the ending completely, but from all the interviews I've seen, he's still going for the ending he originally planned. That's going to be quite a comeback for the Starks if he manages to pull it off.

But anyway, my point is, for book readers, now that we know how it's supposed to end, that redemption arc seems all the more impressive ... even though we don't know how GRRM is going to get there yet. But we're sort of filling in those gaps in our head. The potential for a great story is still there. The people who only watched the show lost that potential.

i read all the books and still hated the ending so I dunno what you're talking about really

ok I didn't hate like the bullet points of what happens to everyone, they could all be done competently, they just weren't

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i'm not mad

please don't put in the newspaper that I got mad

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i honestly didn't even get that he was trying to nominate himself at first lol although I'm sure my assumption was colored by the fact that I had already read the spoiler I thought he was gonna say like I've achieved some measure of statecraft so I think my opinion has some merit and I think it should be ____ so I'm the dumbass who didn't even get the joke at first

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
May want to read that post again.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It was real bad sorry dude

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This owns, and is remarkably close to how Malazan Book 5 ends.

idk seems like you'd notice if someone stabbed you

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
i know they showed what happened to rickon but did they ever actually say what happened to shaggydog on the show

oh also that old lady that was like ~the north remembers~ to sansa when she was a captive at winterfell did she ever do anything

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 23, 2019

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah whoever turned Rickon in to Ramsay (I think it was the Umbers? I can't remember anymore) killed Shaggydog and presented its head as proof that it was truly Rickon

yeah, she died. Ramsay used his season 5 omniscience to know that the lady was helping Sansa and flayed her

oh ok

dang, bad luck lady

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My friend said that the maester who left tyrions name out of the book is mentioned somewhere else in the series as a political rival of his but I dunno if that's true and I'm not gonna run it down to find out but that would at least be a plausible if kinda still dumb explanation

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Pretty much every scene like that actually uses a fake body/cgi, according to the making-of I saw. I guess it's because most of the actors dont want to be confused for actual porn actors that were in the show, or maybe they do or something. It's fantasy so everyone has to look like a pornstar basically, if it was true to medieval life and all women were fat and hairy, GRRM would not sign the contract since he cant beat off to it if everyone looks like his wife and Im guessing actors would not approve to be remembered that way.

yeah it's funny also that like Brienne is supposed to be like hideous and Gwendolyn Christie looks like average at absolute worst, just Very Tall

same with Tyrion, they don't even bother trying to like really ugly Dinklage up or anything

I thought the woman who played Calamity Jane on Deadwood would have made a good Brienne, she's very tall and Not Hot but she isn't like buff or anything so idk

edit: looking at IMDB she looks totally normal also I guess they just uglied her up for deadwood which is what they should have done with Brienne no matter who played her also but also the men who are supposed to be ugly as part of their character as well. I guess there was sam but that's it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
just so that anyone doesn't like misread that because of priming like I did, Kit checked himself in because the show was coming to an end, not because of the actual ending of the show

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alec Eiffel posted:

I'd be depressed as hell too if a show that gave me steady paycheck and a front-and-center character ended abruptly for bad reasons.

no matter how it ends, this is like going off to college for most of them (the young ones anyway), and having it come to an end must be really sad. this is the first major show a lot of them have ever worked on, I'm sure they were like a family. I'm not surprised at all that it would be really hard on any of them to go their separate ways.

and yeah it sucks for them that it ended like 2 seasons at least too early for absolutely no reason other than the showrunners were just tired of it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really like Annihilation very much at all :shrug:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a very well made movie but i think i would've enjoyed it a lot more if i hadn't read the book.

I agree it was well-made but that's kinda my problem with it, I didn't care about the characters enough for it to be a character driven movie, and I didn't think the plot resolution was interesting enough to be like a pure plot-driven sci-fi movie so all I was left with was the good effects and stuff which is like eating nothing but steak sauce and no steak

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The George Lucas story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I can see why people are dogpiling on him, in reality he isn't the first person I know who has done this. It's not as uncommon as you guys think.

i have a friend who, if he isn't sure about a show, will read the spoilers for the entire rest of the show if it's already finished, and decide purely based on the plot summary if it's worth watching or not

that is not quite what we're talking about here, but is another behavior that's extremely weird to me