Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I hope this season is all about Grey Worm and Missandei

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think if the series had ended on season 6, it would have been the most satisfactory ending possible. It would have pissed off basically everyone, especially book watchers but think about it:

Jon is proclaimed King in the North along with Sansa have reclaimed Winterfell
Cersei takes the Iron throne in a pyrrhic victory that cost her all of her children (and she's certain to lose when Dany arrives)
Daenerys has her armies and her ships and she's on her way to conquer Westeros
The Tyrells and Martells have the means for their revenge
Arya has reclaimed her name or whatever and has avenged the Red Wedding
Theon has reclaimed his name and is helping his sister retake the Iron Islands
Brienne has completed her quest

The only hanging threads are Jaime and the White Walkers, really, but it's not like what we got was any good. Everything that happened afterwards was totally loving stupid, randomly moving pieces on the chessboard to get them where they needed to be, and then a really stupid rushed ~twist~ that wasn't built up at all. Half of these characters don't really do much in the final two seasons, or flail about until they reach where they 'should' be. Most of the dramatic heft is gone.

Season 6 is kind of a dead cat bounce after a disastrous Season 5, at least in terms of getting some karmic retribution for some characters and rounding out a lot of their book plots. And without GRRMs books, you at least don't have mishmash mess that this ending has, you can fill in the blanks.

:agreed:

Season 6 is underrated I think, it's not close to as good as the first three but a good sight better than 5. And the final ep is genuinely great. It's as good a wrap up as you could've had. Maybe stuff in a subplot about Bran helping the Night King find his humanity or something thru a psychic vision, allowing his tormented ghost to be free or some poo poo. Would've been better than what happened

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Welp, that was quick

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1189332693361876994

I could actually see this being watchable as long as its done right (Weiss and Benioff not being involved). Dance of the Dragons has the feudal politics and backstabbing that made the first few seasons of GOT good. The Age of Heroes prequel was never going to work, since any mystery about the white walkers was completely squashed in the last season.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just rewatched seasons 2 and 3. It's amazing how much better the earlier seasons were. 4 is still decent but definitely going downhill.

Not going to do a full rewatch though. I've got to stop until House of the Dragon comes out. This world has a way of working itself into my brain. I'll just randomly start thinking about what ifs like "Should Robb have told his bannermen to calm down and instead pledged fealty to one of the Baratheons?" and "What choice did Theon have, really?" And then there's all the ways they could've ended the show better, which of course includes practically anything else other than what they did. Right now I've got it in mind that the final battle with the Night King should've been in the bogs of The Neck, which the Golden Company would also try (and fail) to invade. Greywater Watch would've been fun to see, and wights emerging from a misty swamp would've been an appropriately spooky way to depict a battle with the undead.

So yeah, I need to watch something else now.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

They also could've done so much more with Bran. Like he gains full control of his powers as the three eyed raven and battles the night king in the dream realm as part of a plan with Jon and Arya to kill him in the real world. You know, some kind of payoff for those years tromping around in the snow?

Instead, during the final battle doesn't he warg into some birds that just kind of fly around?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

They retconned Cregan Stark!
:goonsay:

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1522229641334988801

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm trying to guess what the plot would be and I can't

It runs out of steam real quick if Jon is just doing what he was at the end of the show, walking north, doubtless to slay ice critters and bang cute wildlings. So he has to return to the seven kingdoms, but to what? House Glover decides to revolt against Sansa?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I want a show just about Ibb

Jon Snow can lead them into battle like they’re Ewoks

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Young Bronn would be a fun one

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What's all going on over in Skagos? I think we need a show about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Unkempt posted:

L-O-L that the $30,000,000 an episode sequel to Game of Thrones comes out this very week and nobody gives a flying gently caress.

It's going to be dogshit and I am going to savor every putrid bite