Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
"It became necessary to destroy the town in order to save it" - Danerys Targaryen, yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I just read the wiki entry for DnD's Confederate series and hoo boy are they going to gently caress this up spectacularly. Talk about some tone deaf fuckers. And this is who Disney is going to hand the keys to the Star Wars franchise over to. :laugh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mameluke posted:

Dany you shouldn't have killed all those slavers, you should have done...something! Slavery is wrong but killing? That's gone Too Far

This reminds me that the best part of their upcoming Confederate series is that, IIRC, it's going to be set in modern times (unless I misread something). So it won't even be "let's see how things played out if the South had won", but modern-day depictions of slavery. That thing is going to be a trainwreck the likes of which we have never seen.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Fangz posted:

Is the John Brown character going to randomly nuke New York

Nah, DnD will make him a Senator or something, who's "deeply concerned" about the continued use of the slave trade, but who otherwise does nothing until the penultimate episode when he suddenly appears at the head of an armored column that's about to invade Kansas. This will be how they subvert our expectations, with the same subtlety and deft handling of character they showed in the "Dany Goes Nanners" plot twist as seen on popular HBO program "The Game of the Thrones".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

BonoMan posted:

They'll do it and it won't even matter - just like most directors before them. The creative hold on Star Wars from Kennedy & Co. is tighter than anything and they neutralize and dilute any directors visions to make sure they do nothing but produce Bog Standard Star Wars Drivel #4928

There was Colin Trevorrow, who was slated to direct the next SW film, but then was quietly removed (and eventually replaced by JJ Abrams, after Rian Johnson "subverted expectations" with TLJ). There was some speculation at the time that it was possibly due in part to Trevorrow having farted out The Book of Henry, an almost universally panned film.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

DoctorGonzo posted:

what was the loving point of this show and or the books?

what story they tried to tell?

i cant rememeber a show so grandiose but yet so empty.

cersei didnt matter, the night king didnt matter, dany didnt matter. watching this after chernobyl and holy gently caress this show is bad. they even stole from LOTR with the boat scene, the writing in the book scene. just what the gently caress they where trying to do? im baffled.

It's about family, and that is what is so powerful about it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Just a reminder, we have Maisie Williams to thank for that Ed Sheeran cameo

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I remember watching the scene where Jon Snow and pals brought the zombie to King's Landing, and Euron did this whole thing about being so scared that he was going to go back to his islands and leave everyone to fend for themselves.

I remember this because the delivery by the actor playing Euron was--to me, anyways--so bad that it pretty much blatantly telegraphed the "big reveal" at the end where it was a plot between him and Cersei to backstab the others. His delivery was just completely unconvincing. I honestly don't know if that was on purpose or if the actor just didn't give that much of a poo poo about it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Netflix made Bright, they clearly don't give a gently caress about who they throw money at.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I read a couple of stories earlier, one from Hollywood Reporter and one from Complex.

The HR story said that DnD quit SW partly because of its "toxic fandom" and that Kathleen Kennedy was not happy they inked the Netflix deal, in part because Disney didn't think the pair were capable of focusing on more than one project at a time.

The Complex story said they were fired because of how badly GoT S8 was received and that they also did themselves no favors in that thing where they basically admitted they had no idea what they were doing.

In short, DnD is a land of rich idiots contrast.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

thexerox123 posted:

...and you saw those as triumphant moments instead of troubling ones, huh

The dipshits in charge of running the show sure did

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Dany was evil all along, that's why she became such a huge pop culture icon of female empowerment--with her every malicious action framed as "the bad guy gets theirs", and her fuckups handwaved away as being due to her naivete and idealism--to the point that even Beyonce once claimed she "felt like Khaleesi". It certainly must have been that, and not the two idiots in charge loving up years of character development by suddenly turning her evil out of nowhere.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I should add that I thought the character of Dany was kinda boring, and Emelia Clarke is not very good at the whole acting thing. And I do get a chuckle out of the idea that a bunch of people named their kids "Danerys" or "Khaleesi" and are likely very upset now. So the whole thing was worth it, in that regard. :laugh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Alhazred posted:

It's a shame, because whenever she is interviewed she's really fun.

Oh true, she seems like a really lovely person and I'm sure she'd be fun to hang out with.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The only problem the HBO execs had was that D&D didn't want to do the show anymore, and that they apparently had enough control where they could just end the show rather than have HBO install new showrunners and keep the show going.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Remember, friends, when developing the final season of your big-budget, highly popular fantasy TV show: instead of having the big bad villain that you've spent several seasons building up get defeated by the hero (who you have also spent several seasons building up as one of the few people aware of the true threat of the villain), just have the hero's adopted kid sister shank the villain instead. The audience doesn't need the cathartic release of seeing the villain finally get defeated by the hero, and they will certainly appreciate the cool swerve you threw their way. And it gives you the chance to do another cool swerve later on, by having the female figure (who's become a pop culture icon during the run of your show) suddenly turn evil by doing a genocide, and then you can have your hero shank her instead. :c00lbert:

Seriously, the "Arya kills the Night King" thing was incredibly dumb and the guys who ran GoT are idiots.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bip Roberts posted:

The night king wasn't really a big bad villain so much as the concept of a big bad villain.

Oh sure, but my point still stands, the way they handled his end was still dumb.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It’s 100% this and it owns

But it’s even funnier to think they were rushing through this to do the Confederate show (who on earth would watch such a thing?)

The only sour note is that they did get a big money Netflix deal, otherwise it'd have been perfect. They piss off their bosses at HBO by sandbagging a hugely popular and profitable show, get their slavery fanfic show cancelled in response, fans rightly poo poo on the last season of GoT, and finally Disney starts getting "Book of Henry" vibes and gives them the Trevorrow treatment. :laugh:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mat Cauthon posted:

This show could've gone for 10 full seasons, which is probably the minimum necessary to do the story right, with the only limit being how much HBO wanted to spend on production costs and keeping the cast happy.

I seem to recall reading that HBO would have been more than happy to let the show go 10 seasons (or more), and that it was D&D who said no. I can only assume that they must have had some kind of clause in their contracts that gave them final say over when the show ended or something like that, because I can't see HBO willingly letting one of their most profitable and popular shows end otherwise.

Plenty of shows change cast members and since they had already moved past the GRRM books as story material, HBO could have just appointed a new showrunner after the end of the last season if it were feasible to do so. They could write out anyone who decided not to come back (or whose character was killed off at the end of last season), and come up with new plots and characters to move forward with. Granted, it would have been a tough act to follow given how many people absolutely hated the end of the last season, but I think a lot of people would have been willing to give a new showrunner a chance and see how they might clean up D&D's messes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still can't believe how fast this show fell from pop culture. I realize we are in the information age of entertainment, but Jesus Christ this show went from "the biggest TV show ever" to a distant memory.

It's no wonder that DnD lost their follow-up slavery fanfic show, as well as their Star Wars deal. It does suck that they got a big-money Netflix deal instead, but then again Netflix isn't exactly shy about canceling stuff if it doesn't do great for them, and I can't imagine anyone is eagerly anticipating the next thing to come from the guys that tanked GoT.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't realize they showed her undercut on the show.

I don't think they did:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Stumbling around downtown New York, grabbing random people and screaming at them that Game of Thrones is being written by idiots. Being arrested and ranting about Bran the Broken in a padded cell living out a Cassandra-like existence watching the world tumble towards a future you're powerless to stop.

And then, as the final season unfolds, the world collapses around you, and you're watching and hearing the screams of thousands of suburban moms, all with kids named Khaleesi and Danerys:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gonna rewatch that movie now.

And unlike GoT, it's not only worth a rewatch, but it's proved to have longer staying power in terms of pop culture memes :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

whowhatwhere posted:

They were burned out (I don't think this has been stated, but it's gotta be an incredibly time consuming and stressful job to manage all the logistics of the most expensive tv show on earth and they'd been doing it for eight+ years), had a huge Netflix deal and a star wars trilogy to work on. So they insisted that it be wrapped up despite HBO desperately trying to keep them making the show...which probably cost them the star wars deal.

I think they got the Netflix deal after Disney started getting cold feet and gave them the Colin Trevorrow treatment. IIRC, they were in a big hurry to finish GoT so they could start working on both Star Wars and their next (at the time) project for HBO, which was their "what if the South won the Civil War" slavery fanfic show. So I think how it went down was HBO got skittish about airing such a show in the age of Trump and decided not to go ahead with it, GoT's final season made everyone retroactively hate the show, and Disney decided that they didn't need the next SW trilogy being described as "from the guys who killed Game of Thrones". Netflix snapped them up because they'll desperate for new content and will air any loving thing, even if it's from the guys who killed Game of Thrones.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
On the one hand it was very dumb for D&D to turn Dany heel the way they did, but on the other hand it did enrage a ton of parents across the globe who'd named their kids Danerys or Khaleesi, so it did have at least one good thing to come out of it. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I've never read the books but in the series, wasn't Tywin actually pissed at Jaime for joining the Kingsguard? I vaguely remember something about how it meant he can never get married and bear Tywin legitimate heirs, and so he couldn't eventually be manipulated onto the throne somehow, and he had to marry his daughter off to Robert instead (and being ignorant of/ignoring the fact that his son was producing children...just not with a woman that wasn't related to him).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

When is the Civil War show coming out???

It's on now, they just decided to turn it into a reality/documentary style show. Check your local Fox News for more information :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bleck posted:

it turned into a twee drama about Sherlock and his social circle instead of being about fun mysteries

that being said I actually think the second season is quite a bit better than the first, but the third is where it started up its own butt and the fourth is where it fully disappeared up there

like imagine a full hour and a half of Sherlock Holmes where it's just Holmes and Watson talking about how they feel about Watson getting married

That's the Steven Moffat "modern" Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch, right? I ask only because anyone who'd watched Moffat's run on Doctor Who could have told you that was inevitably gonna happen. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've seen her Breakfast at Tiffany's, and I think a "wooden interpretation" is the kind of value adding you hire Emilia Clarke for.

I'm sure Emilia Clarke is a perfectly charming person, but an acting powerhouse she ain't. They'll try to slot her into the odd action role here and there, and she'll do the occasional comedic voice acting gig, but I'm fairly confident she's going to be making a lot of romcoms where the role calls for a pretty woman with a British accent.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pattonesque posted:

imagine being set up to get Star Wars money for life and posting yourself into "Ben Shapiro footwear fetish videos" level stuff forever

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

lezard_valeth posted:

It's the same as with any other job.

Either you are getting paid enough that you are satisfied and/or able to overlook the negative stuff, or you are not getting paid much but you enjoy what you are doing and/or have a nice working environment.

For example, according to Sam Witwer a lot of the original The Walking Dead cast were working well under their pay grade but did so because Frank Darabont is a cool dude to work with.

Can't imagine D&D were pleasant to work with when you look at how unprofessional they were with Ian McElhinney.

That reminded me that Darabont's plan for season 2 of TWD was to begin with "The Fall of Atlanta", which would've been a flashback detailing just how things got that bad. But of course, the powers that be said "nope", and so they spent pretty much the entire season hanging out on a farm instead.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Fall of Atlanta definitely sounds infinitely more expensive to do.

Yeah but maybe going the 100% opposite route and doing "our characters hang out on a farm for an entire season" isn't the answer either :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Zaphod42 posted:

Golden Company Propane and Propane Accessories

(regarding Ramsay Bolton) That boy ain't right, I tell you hwat.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

An insane mind posted:

It's literally been the case since before t.v. or even radio was a thing. Some people just can't conceive of the fact that actors are not the role they play.

My favorite relatively recent example of this was when a bunch of right-wingers got upset that Bradley Cooper didn't hold the exact same conservative political views as Chris Kyle, who he portrayed in "American Sniper". Like they just assumed that he took the role because he believed in the same things Chris Kyle did, and not for the main reason any actor takes a role: to get a paycheck and make a living.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

I'm sure there are a bunch of people out there who're excited for this, but (like a lot of goons ITT, I'm sure), I honestly just could not give a poo poo. I think it's because I mainly dislike prequels in general; I saw how things ended up in GoT over eight seasons, I don't need another four or five telling me how we got to where we were at the start of the original series (probably the biggest exception to that rule for me was Fargo season 2, but that's because it was so drat good).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Agreed about not needing prequels. I didn't need to see Vader as a kid and then as an emo teenager, I didn't need to see the origins of the Space Jockey or the Xenomorph, and I don't need to see the Targaryen family history or whatever it is that the GoT prequel series is going to be about.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I think it's fair to say that D&D are terrible showrunners and nobody with any regard for their own safety (or the safety of their infant, if applicable) should willingly want to work on anything they do

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

PostNouveau posted:

Stephen King would have knocked this thing out in 2 years

There was some thing a few years back where GRRM interviewed or had a discussion with King at some event, and one of the first questions he asked him was something like "how the gently caress are you able to write so much and so fast"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

PostNouveau posted:

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Holy poo poo

This is why I have no sympathy for D&D and hope everything that they try to do ever since GoT ended either keeps getting cancelled or postponed. gently caress those pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pattonesque posted:

They had the chance to do a lot of objectively cool poo poo that everyone would have liked but were like "nah we gotta split to make our show about how awesome the Confederacy was"

Those dudes hosed up so bad, they got kicked off of doing a modern Star Wars project, which says quite a lot about how bad GoT became near the end there