Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What time does this air mountain time? Everything I see onlines says 9pm but doesn't give a time zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word. Thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did Jamie defect last season? I’m in the middle of the episode and I think I forgot what happened with him last season and why Cersei wants him killed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TheRat posted:

Yea, he told Cersei to gently caress off and headed north in the last episode of season 7

teagone posted:

Yeah, last we saw him in Season 7 he was headed north by himself to honor the false oath that Cersei committed to — she promised to send Lannister forces to help defend the north against the dead, but she lied. When Jaimie learned that, he told her that he was going north anyways and Cersei said that's treason, and he just left.

Ah I remember now. Thanks y’all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry every GOT post I make is poo poo I forgot, but what was the dynamic between Bran and Jamie? Like, I remember Jamie paralyzed him by pushing him out the window while he was boning his sister, but why again doesn't everyone know Jamie did it and did Jamie know that he lived?

Also, I kind of forgot Jamie was probably the biggest pile of poo poo on the show for the first couple of seasons. Totally forgot he tried to murder a kid so he wouldn't be embarrassed. IIRC he got that fat kid killed too for reasons I no longer remember. Impressive that they managed to make him a fan favorite in the end.

Maybe I need to do a rewatch cause I'm mostly operating on vague memories at this point lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The World Inferno posted:

well

Couldn't say I had arya sex scene on my bingo sheet

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the video on the hbo go app kind of hosed up for anyone else? The darkness looks like poo poo and I’m getting white lines popping up over the picture.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That episode was fun but it was about as safe as it could have possibly been. Everyone’s plot armor was so thick lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo if you want to enjoy GOT, stop nitpicking it and accept that it's just dumb as gently caress now. it sucks that it went from something that sort of blew me away for 4 seasons, to something that is pretty much on par or worse than the Marvel cinematic universe. But it is what it is, and it's still entertaining. Just sucks it'll never go down as one of the greatest shows ever for me, when it really felt that way up until the end of SSN 4. It still works as popcorn schlock and it looks great at least.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The show ends with the US Military rolling in and shutting the whole thing down while Drowning Pool's "bodies" blasts in the background, and the final shot pans out to George W Bush on an aircraft carrier in front of a Mission Accomplished banner.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Not sure if anyone posted this but it sums up my thoughts on this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7zy1PTMp0

Lol this is basically the inner monologue that was running through my head while I was watching. Especially the absolutely relentless fake out "death" scenes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

I think that the worst one was the above shot of Theon shooting one wight while 6 others were rushing towards him and were within arm's length, then CUT.

Like :lol: trying to fight a zerg of brainless melee troops with loving bow and arrow, that's like mobile phone game 101

It'd be hard for me to choose between that, Sam "dying" like 4 times just to show him crying or writhing around a few minutes later, or Jamie and Brienne's constant state of doom that never amounts to anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SirPablo posted:

I can't get over that a giant ice wall was built, manned for thousands of years to keep a threat out. Then that threat broke through and lasted a few days. What was the point? What was the loving point.

I'm kind of playing Devil's advocate here because I agree with you, but what were they supposed to do? Whip up 3 more seasons of nothing but undead battles?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

The thing that rang true for me in the video was how he pointed out that the only reason the wall was taken down was because Dany and co went north to capture a zombie (which actually didn't sway Cersei lol) and donated a dragon to the army of the dead, since whatever the book explanation was got cut from the show. It's like one minute I was thinking about it, the next minute I remember how poo poo the last few seasons have been.

Yeah but I don't really know if that is all that much of a criticism. If anything a very big part of the show has been massive gently caress ups on the protagonists part. The Red Wedding was totally avoidable due to decisions too and it was one of the best parts of the show. If anything, botched white walker mission was an action that actually had a consequence, and lack of that is arguably the shows biggest problem right now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I apologize if a bunch of people already said this, I'm a little behind on the discussion, but why the gently caress didn't Dany just have her dragon roast Cersai the second she cut off Missandeis head? Like, she could have gotten rid of every villain in one blast without any civilian casualties and she just walked off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Because the dragon would have been pierced dozens of times before it even got off the ground? The better question is why it was just chilling within range and they didn't stick it with a bunch of pointy ends.

Does it need to fly to breath fire? It was maybe a couple of hundred feet away. it could have just thrown down a blanket of fire on the wall in like 2 seconds.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked this episode

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is sorta my read on it too. She's lost two of her children, all her friends, the man she loved, half her army, all her allies, and the whole time her advisors are like, the people love you, you must be gentle. And then she gets worked up with an adrenaline rush, only to have these people roll over and show their belly when she should have gone ham on King's Landing 15 minutes after arriving on the continent? She's ripshit.

This is combined with her known character traits of not really caring about "the people" and being power hungry for the sake of it. What's her actual reason for conquering Westeros other than "it's mine"? At least with slaver's bay she had an objective guiding her. She is selfish and thinks she's earned more than a 10 minute fight where the people that were supposedly evil monsters just give up.

Yeah. I don't think Dany's mental snap felt totally earned but it wasn't completely out of left field either. She's always been a bit of a psycho, but until now it was either to bad people, or had enough of an objective behind it to not set off too many red flags.

I dunno. I really liked the whole thing. It's the first interesting thing to happen on the show in a while. It's a shame that it felt clumsy because they didn't build up to it well enough. It's definitely a flawed episode like they all have been lately, but it's the first one that actually had me thinking about it beyond the second I've turned it of in a few years. I was actually having trouble mustering up the energy to bother watching it because this season has been so bad, but I actually am sort of excited for the last ep now. So it was a success imo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raccooon posted:

Has HBO mad a statement on season 8 yet?

It’s going over so poorly they will probably have to.

Narrative is already forming that it’s the worst ending in TV history.

Or maybe HBO is hoping the finale will fix it all.

What? Most of the viewership isn't cynical nerds. Normals like this season just fine. :lol: that you think HBO should issue some sort of public apology because some pockets of the internet are losing their minds nit picking every second of every episode.

That said I agree it's been a bad season, but we are in an echo chamber here. Go talk to anyone at your job or do a cursory google search for game of thrones and you will find that most people are super into it and not freaking out about tactical realism or bad writing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raccooon posted:

I don’t know anyone that likes this season and the social media response seems to be just anger at this season.

The response so far looks worse than the response to The Last Jedi.

Literally everyone I've talked to irl has thought it was weird that I think this season is bad, and just googling game of thrones 90% of it is not negative takes about how bad it is.

I'm not saying I think it's a good season but everyone here seems to think twitter hot takes, forums posts and youtube rants are somehow the general population's opinion, which is kind of a load of crap imo.

Nail Rat posted:

Just about everyone hates this season, for every normal who liked the Battle of winterfell there are two who say "I couldn't see anything :negative: "

This part is true. everyone seems to complain about how dark it is. Rightfully so, but it's funny that it's thing that bothers people more than anything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not really funny when people complain they can't watch the show when they're trying to watch the show. Makes the most sense imaginable lol.

You missed the entire point there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you did lol

E: Less of a dick response.

Did you miss the part where I said it was completely warranted?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao, what is it you think you said?

I just re-read it 3 times and its still dumb dude.

Did you see the part where I said "rightfully so"? as in it's a totally valid complaint? It's a 3 sentence post I don't see how you weren't able to process that. You are agreeing with me and calling me out at the same time for some weird reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe YOU need to go back and re-read what I said, because that was extremely clear from the start.

Its just a really pointless statement. Duh. Of course rightfully so. Of course people not being able to see a TV show who want to see a TV show are going to be upset about it. That's extremely obvious and natural.

You're acting like people would say "Well, I couldn't watch the episode at all, but I'm more bothered by the characterization of Varys" like no poo poo people are going to be upset they can't watch the show?

I don't know man its just a weird thing to say, and then for you to be all like :smuggo: "read it again" when I call you out on it is pretty funny.

I processed it just fine, you just assumed I didn't because you can't handle that your comment was daft or something.

I think you have brain problems Zaphod.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Read it again

Maybe start with this next time lol

Sorry man I’m just trying to process why you decided to aggressively call me out and then essentially just agree with what I was saying.

Let me rephrase this for you.

“The episode was mostly ruined by how dark it was so it’s understandable that people have complained about it, but it’s funny that it’s the only thing that a lot of people have complained about when the show has so many other issues this season.”

Is that better? I thought it was obvious from my initial post but apparently not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its cool. I was just kinda having a laugh and busting your balls since that seems so obvious to me, but your insistence that I must just not be getting it and refusal to do anything other than dismiss me was pretty frustrating, so I answered you the same way.

You don't need to rephrase it, I got it the whole time haha. Just seems real basic to me, so I was like, "no duh my man!". And then when you're like "zaphod you have brain worms!" obviously we're not going anywhere productive. I appreciate you being cool now tho.

It was obvious I was just busting your chops because it was so obvious lol.

Sorry I just got off of a 10 hour shift, maybe I'm just pissy today.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wheeler W Wetherby posted:

I might have been on board if Dany had burned down the Red Keep first to get at Cersei after the bells rang, not caring about all the civilians inside. To me, that's the next step up from flambeeing the Tarlys, not going street to street torching innocents. In the past, Dany's gone to extremes to make her enemies suffer, but she's always tried to protect the weak. The heel turn overall makes sense, but the way it happened was dumb and rushed. Her lover scorns her so now nobody in Westeros can love her and they all have to die?

This. This is exactly what I thought she was going to do and it would have had the same implication, while making 100% more sense.

Wouldn't have been as batshit to watch though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's my conflict. Everything in this season, poo poo, the last 2 seasons has not only been bad but boring as gently caress. I've been watching the show more for the sake of completion than anything else for a while now. At least this poo poo was interesting enough that now I'm actually kind of excited about the finale.

It's a good twist that also unfortunately feels totally unnearned, but at this point I just thought the show was just going to fart out in some totally boring way. No matter what it was gonna be bad. But at least this is entertaining bad, and I will take that over boring bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

One whole death in the series finale of the show most famous for killing characters!

No joke I read this and had to think for about 15 seconds to remember who it was lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish I had video editing skills so I could put this on the cover of the book when Tyrion closes it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Lol in the end Jon's parentage was a non-issue completely. Dany just snapped and went mad and Jon would have had to kill her even if he was just some bastard who loved her.

loving lmao D&D.

Not to mention Gendry. what was the loving point of making all of these people have possible claims to the throne if they weren't even going to address it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ruddiger posted:

HBO: "Here's the Westworld teaser please don't cancel your subscription!"

Chernobyl is pretty good. Also new Jody Hill show

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny I accidentally moused over spoilers itt last week for tonight's episode and read everything that happened, but was still surprised by all of it because I thought they were joking. Then when Bran was nominated to be king I was like holy poo poo those spoilers were real.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like how most of the Dothraki and Unsullied died in the zombie war but then no they didn't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

With all this negativity I want to say a few positive things.

Davos lived
John Snow and Tormund get to live out their days together. Why didn't John take his wolf though?
The part where everyone laughed at Sam for suggesting democracy was funny
Wrecked Kings Landing looked kind of like Dark Souls

That's all I GOT

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alec Eiffel posted:

If the plot beats weren’t rushed and felt earned, would y’all have liked this ending?

I really liked it. I’m glad it didn’t have a Sopranos-style ending - I know that was a genuine concern.

I don't mind the actual ending. It was just kind of fine I guess. But it was all based around one of the stupidest plot twists ever. A plot twist that I actually would have really liked if the show had put in the legwork for it to make more sense.

The problem with the season wasn't the actual events that happened, it was how they landed there. And it just happened over and over until the whole thing felt like a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is from like 7 years ago but still lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUnLXqDkqVM