Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The North Remembers the more innocent days of season 4 when people honestly gave a poo poo about this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lycus posted:

No one knows because Bran couldn't remember.

Catelyn had her suspicions (and forensic evidence!), but that loose end was taken care of.

Anyway this episode was OK, but it still had a lot of characters doing dumb poo poo just to move the plot along and make set pieces, like no one thinking that maybe the Umbers should bring their troops like everyone else has, so that we could have a six-year-old lord riding back to his castle toward the white walkers, resulting in seafood platter wall. Then of course everyone decides to case the castle instead of get the hell out of dodge. Somehow an army of countless undead has gotten between them and Winterfell without them noticing now? Whatever, we have too many characters I guess.

Compared to last season's frivolities that's low on the totem pole though.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 15, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't there a series about a monk who solved crimes in the middle ages? I remember when the Canadian History channel was actually a History Channel and not ancient aliens and bigfoot, they'd alternate between showing Sharpe's and that on friday nights.

I wish i could remember the name of it. It was exactly what that was describing.

Cadfael I believe. There's also The Name of the Rose.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Yeah I kind of wish we were getting more side quests for the various parties.

Hopefully everyone is onboard with Jaime joining the a team, they gonna need him.

Gonna be a lot of dramatic testimonials at court and then maybe some dramatic arguing over who gets to be the one to decide if he lives or dies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I keep hoping against hope that the payoff will be everyone realizing that Dany is an entitled psychopath who has the Targaryen brainworms after all.

The only way to keep Bronn on the show (and away from his ex Lena Headey) is to give him a nonsensical assassination mission to give him the scene where he joins the Good Guys and has more Unlikely Adventures. Sex on this show long ago became a punchline.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I wonder how many minutes Jaime thought he'd have in Winterfell before someone spotted him, or if he was going to try to just blend in with his giant golden hand.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tino posted:

Book Cersei probably would have sent some red coats to kill Bronn anyway.

Bronn will find some whores in the north to fill more tit quota.

I believe the books are currently stopped near where Cersei has in fact signed a death warrant for Bronn.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

No Wave posted:

Someone should have noticed that Daenerys and Jon Snow have ZERO chemistry and just rewritten what happened. It is painful to watch and I just feel bad for the two of them being forced to make out.

Emilia Clarke not having chemistry with the male lead? :monocle:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah because death is super rare in thrones?

He's a side character who shouldn't even be alive to begin with. Is it really that crazy to think that after your ticket to immortality goes away, you're probably not gonna live much longer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX9-5VXjkZY

Let's complain about things that actually don't make sense instead of third-tier plot developments that we are unhappy haven't happened yet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"The maesters jealously guard knowledge to the ultimate benefit of no one, using only what knowledge is politically acceptable to themselves" is not only the learned lesson of both Sam and Qyburn at this point, but historically a major problem for our normal, even more gritty and completely non-magical sciences. Meanwhile various incompetents rise through the ranks of the maesters, such as Pycelle, a toady for those in power.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lycus posted:

In conclusion, if Bronn tries to kill Tyrion, people will bitch about how it's bad writing, and if Bronn doesn't try to kill Tyrion, people will bitch about how it's bad writing.

You're almost there

Imagine if the show didn't set it up for two dumb eventualities

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Harton posted:

Seriously season 2 alone should have shown everyone what absolute nonsense we were heading towards. Just turn off your expectations and enjoy the only conclusion your gonna get to this 20 year farce.

Dany has been the worst most unbearable character with the worst plot from the beginning

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I'm happy to get closure for the main characters and the big plot from the show.

We'll never get closure on tons and tons of other interesting stuff. Martin ain't finishing the books and, if he did, he's not capable of wrapping all this other cool poo poo up within 2 books anyway. A lot of the minor book stuff will get swept under the rug and the main characters/plot will converge in basically the same way as the show.

Basically Martin has written himself into a quagmire around an entirely new set of characters revolving around the Golden Company in the books, whereas in the show they barely matter/don't exist. Related to that, the show basically clown-car'd the entire Dorne plot into "ok whatever they're all dead now" while that shows no signs of slowing down in the books either.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

Going onto the Gurm stuff, I feel like it's an unfortunately common trend of a lot of fantasy literature to make leagues and leagues of literature about your particular fantasy universe and then struggle to bring it to an end. I have no idea how many fantasy series just kept going and going and either dragging out plotlines or burdening the world with more and more narratives and stories. First thing that comes to mind is Wheel of Time, where I wasn't even halfway through the first book before realizing there was no way I was going to get through all of that in one lifetime (although to be fair, the author also didn't get through all of it in his own lifetime, either).

I wonder what it is specifically about fantasy authors/novels that makes them so vulnerable to bloat? Does it have to do with the readership? Something about wanting to make the most out of a fantasy world you put effort into crafting? Something else?

When your work is really successful and you are not on a publishing time table, you suddenly become less beholden to getting anything done on a deadline and begin writing what you want.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

On thoughts about the ep beyond ‘holy poo poo this show sucks’ I thought it was interesting we got the Greyjoy house words directly in reference to the white walkers. There’s some deep book nerd theorising that the iron isles are somehow special and connected to the magical cycles and dragons and thereby also connected to the walkers, much in the same way it seems obvious the starks are connected also. Both houses are the only two major houses with prominent words that are a warning rather than a boast or a threat. I kind of hope we get some info on that, at least from the prequel series if not this final season

It's more or less established that... Things occurred between House Stark and the Children of the Forest, not all of which are for polite conversation, like the time a Night's Watch commander, probably in the Stark lineage, decided to marry a white walker and declare himself Lord Darkbad. And it's possible that one or more castles exist on ley lines designed to repel white walkers, or a magically-enforced peace agreement kept them north of the wall, and whichever it is was inadvertently broken by the end of long-standing traditions and practices that only the fey know the significance of, and everyone else remembers as an old saying. For example, "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell." Cocked that one up good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

D-Pad posted:

The last winter was 9 years ago. Magic has been dead for centuries.

Goons continue to be bad at watching TV/reading books.

Magic isn't dead, it just generally stays in kooky warlock covens in the Mysterious East and hasn't marched south of the wall in any of its varieties for a long time. This has allowed groups like House Lannister to rationalize unpredictably long seasons (and the less we say about how little that lines up with how the setting works the better) and a giant ice wall.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is the show about as good as or better than what he would end up writing? It’s more than a lot of series that end up truncated ever receive.

GRRM leans heavily on repetitive dialogue phrases, sometimes to exhaustion (Where do whores go? and ...moonboy for all I know) but the writing is usually pretty effective, and has improved with each book. When people criticize GRRM they criticize his out-of-control fantasy novel outward plot spirals, and maybe to make fun of the passage where Dany gets dysentery. The show has cut entire factions of characters out in order to remain a cohesive narrative and manageable story for a television show, and the last book feels like things are still winding up, not winding down.

The book also emphasizes different things. Characters are younger, uglier, and dumber in the books. The Stark family comes off terribly early on and Eddard is probably not yet 40 when he dies. Oberyn Martell is entirely a memorable character because of the show and Pedro Pascal's fantastic work; in the book he's alive for all of about two chapters, and like many of the characters from outside the Winterfell/King's Landing plotline feels like some weird stab at an anime trope or something, but at least he's not called Darkstar. Many of the characters have cartoonish physical features; Jorah Mormont is really hairy. The assassination attempt on Tyrion clove off most of his face and now he's hard for people to look at. Everyone across the sea dyes their hair ridiculous colors. The Lannisters aren't just blonde, they're golden-haired children of Adonis. And so on.

The Dany plotline spins its wheels and doesn't feel earned in either version.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Meanwhile rumors abounded that Clarke had "way less topless stuff" written into her contract.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Generally the problem was handwaving "Jaime defeats the faction with all the gold and food during a long weekend in Highgarden" just to get us to the next plot beat. Season 7 was full of sloppy stuff like that just so we could get to the scenes they wanted to do (Olenna owns Jaime and advances his character development) by any means necessary.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Didn't help that she was in the world's worst Terminator movie.

Careful now, it's still not Terminator 4.

E: The direwolves are tremendously important on a symbolic level.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But since Lady’s death they have been a nonfactor on the show. Bran having wolf dreams and then warging is the only other thing they’ve done, and that can be shown without a pet wolf.

If they bring Ghost back at this point it’s just going to be comical.

I probably would have preferred "Winterfell Bound" for several episodes compared to "Jon's definitely dead you guys."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Arya can do the Darth Maul thing to zombies now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Oh come on nothing says grief like raping your sister on you dead incest sons coffin. That is just a classic scene in every movie.

Nobody liked Joffrey, so it seemed like a good occasion for a celebration. Also, gotta get crackin' if you wanna refill the bench!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Come for the show reaction posts, stay for the Tuesday-Sunday chat lounge.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Given that literally everyone but one of Jon/Dany is now cannon fodder, I don’t think the current vague maybe-spoiler really reaches the heights of “Tyrion crossbows his dad to death on the shitter”

I read that on FYAD a few times, smirked at how goofy it was, and then had a good laugh as it became clear on airing that it was going down.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is my experience with every spoiler I ever heard. The only one that didn’t come true was the making GBS threads in a field one. But I was sure it was some kind of parody that I would have understood if I had read the books.

Dany gets dysentery in the books. GRRM spares no detail.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 26, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lycus posted:

A lot of people would rather this show were an anime.

I'd rather have a season 7 that wasn't a loving writing disaster. Season 8 has mostly been fine (because they finally got most everyone teleported to where they needed them to go), but drat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bert Roberge posted:

Is everyone listening to the new official game of thrones pop tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTkxsPBTrnk

Thanks, I hate it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I like Cersei way more than Dany because Cersei's actions, however vile, are much better explained, because Westeros palace intrigue is the centerpiece of the show, and Cersei is a usurper into that system just like Dany is. Cersei is more likeable because she did it without relying on the dragon queen plot armor, and her rule is competent.

In some sense yes she is being unrealistic when she welcomes the idea of the dead breaking through the wall, but don't forget that realistically this is her only play for survival. Dany will otherwise kill her without much difficulty.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Who exactly does she competently rule over, exactly? Ain't no one left in King's Landing but the smallfolk, her garrison, and her zombie guards.

Smells like victory to me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This episode was fine enough but didn't make any logistical/tactical sense from the word go. Cav is for striking exposed infantry flanks, even if your cav is dealing +1d6 fire damage. If you sit the dragons on the battlements or something, instead of having them just fly around uselessly, you can repel near-mindless infantry all night. Because the writers couldn't figure a way out of that, they defaulted to making Dany a huge idiot yet again.

The bits in the empty castle didn't really make sense, and we clearly got it because, as they pretty much admit in the featurette, they don't know what to do with the 80-minute battle sequence they wrote. Most of the named characters just stand in place hacking away at footies.

Ultimately the Battle of the Bastards was a hundred times more terrifying and effective than this, and overall the show continues to be a mediocre shadow of its s1-s4 self.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1122674044078305280

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

General Dog posted:

I think Dany must have more army left that we would guess based on the last episode. She seems pretty drat confident in the preview for next week.

She can either strafe Cersei or provoke her into a wintertime invasion of Russia.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

“I’ll never forget when [showrunner] David Benioff sat me down and told me the fate of the Night King and I thought: Who gives a flying gently caress? What am I still doing on this show? Jesus Christ, I actually cried.”

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

an skeleton posted:

I loved it, party I watched with seemed to love it, logged on twitter seemed like people loved it, facebook people loved it, podcast people loved it, just a few complaints of it being dark, really. Then I get on SA and apparently this is the WORST TV show ever

It honestly feels like there's a bandwagon of people who got more into the show after it stopped being dark and political and became Star Wars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Goons Are Great posted:

Yes, In many of those watch parties or communities in general there is a wild idea that the first few seasons sucked massive monkey dick and it started to become actually interesting after a few seasons, with walkers and dragons being a thing and the complicated politics being left behind. That idea seems to have a lot of agreement on many sides.

Apart from goons being goons, I can see a lot of people disliking some of the show in general or this episode in particular as it took this turn and now focuses other things. I think it's fair to say that you can both love and hate what the show has become, and the general trend seems to be that those who preferred the old style are now more critical about the show than those who prefer the show as it is now.

Either way, this episode was intense, exciting, visually appealing and emotional, but also had plot holes or logical problems, an anime assassin death and a lot of deus ex machina.

I would honestly be higher on the show if they didn't move to massively truncated seasons and had payoff episodes like this that were technically well-shot and sensible. The big takeaway from watchers and critics who are viewing it critically and analyzing the content, and not just gobbling up whatever as long as there are special effects and fight scenes, is that this episode was a wet fart on a technical and writing level.

The show has been telegraphing for multiple seasons that it would return to a neo-Age of Heroes setting and actually dragging its feet for most of Dany's plotline on that. OK! Let's do that, but let's do it well. Let's not do this thing where it feels like we're wrapping up because everyone's contracts became expensive and the showrunners landed a much more lucrative gig doing Star Wars.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

Or, follow me on this, there are a bunch of people who read the books and watched the show from the beginning who nonetheless are judging the show based on what it is, instead of what it could’ve been in their own perfect world.

I don’t think it’s perfect but if I wanted exactly the story I feel is best, I’d write it myself. I can enjoy other people’s work even if they make choices I would not. Being a true critic isn’t something I could see myself doing on a volunteer basis because I’d rather enjoy the imperfect rather than write a treatise on how best to improve it. I could pick apart this episode, or any artistic work, or I could just enjoy the thing I’m given. I prefer to do that latter.

What it is is is not very good, especially relative to the early on-book seasons. As a general TV show it's still good, but relative to its own quality standard it's a disappointment. "I've made peace with the bad writing and am seeing this to completion" is pretty much where everyone still watching is at.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ijii posted:

I'd like to know from you goons what shows out there are masterpieces from start to finish.

Several other HBO shows, for starters. David Simon's stuff and The Sopranos spring to mind.

Really great start-to-finish dramas are admittedly really rare. More often you get [finding their feet season 1 ] + [hitting stride s2-4ish] + [end of original story arc/offscreen talent exodus forcing changes, usually not for the better]. Limited series shows and shows where the showrunner has a complete multi-season arc plotted out and then stops are usually the best.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Opferwurst posted:

I wonder if people complaining about the dark scenes all just had the same hosed up torrent release.

No, it just looked bad over the streaming compression. Someone willing to get it on blu ray (on a nice TV) will likely get a different experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Opferwurst posted:

Welp, there is your problem. It takes ten second to Google a download link to a 4 GB mkv rip of the episode. Free download speed of 20 MB/s.

(I'm not advocating for piracy, just pointing out that piracy has exploded since the streaming services have started to make their services shittier. Piracy is now faster, better and consumer friendlier than the streaming services ffs)

Pirates have been insisting it's more consumer-friendly since the beginning of digital piracy (hint: "it's free real estate!" doesn't mean the same thing as "consumer friendly"), and that may have been true in 2005-2010 when Netflix didn't have anything good on digital, but at this point you can rent or buy almost any movie that wasn't direct-to-VHS for less than it costs physically. Or pay $10-$15 a month to receive a major service's entire history of content. And it won't be a constant roll of the dice against a virus or just a hilariously lovely "HD rip."

Signed,

A guy who gets things he really likes on blu ray because, indeed, the uncompressed physical media looks better than anything on streaming and way better than anything on the high seas

P.S. the actual problem is not entirely that streaming and older TVs are bad at displaying shades of black (they are). It's that the cinematography was objectively bad and didn't take streaming and TV quality into account.