Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I actually like the show still, all the way up to season 7, but I think they spent more and more time writing themselves into a corner and the resolution is gonna feel either too predictable or too "you pulled this out of your rear end so we wouldn't say it was predictable"

esperterra posted:

Being better actors might help too but lmao yeah the black hole of chemistry is great.

Which is ridiculous because emilia clarke has insane chemistry with like, a piece of stone

she's like the most likeable person ever when she's not acting in game of thrones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Walrus posted:

I can't wait until the white walkers win or close to it and the internet is just loving furious "you mean eight years of scheming and backstabbing was all a complete waste of time" with the reply being "yes that is the entire theme of the show that's been foreshadowed in basically every episode"

Ya it’s global warming

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think the issue is when I had to convince people to watch the show in like.... Season 2 it was always "Hey ignore the first dumb scene with the zombies, it's not that kinda show"

And we were just fooling ourselves, because it is. But I do wish they had a bit more focus on the white walkers instead of just the "Ya here's a scene of us making them. They like this symbol I guess. They clearly have motivations and a history but let's just make them zombies"

Like this is the show that took a guy that pushed a kid out a window and over the course of 4+ years made him sympathetic, and they do the same with a lot of characters.

I almost wish they had a point of view chapter of the Night King that wasn't him just smiling and doing something hosed up and evil. Or poo poo go all out with the Climate Change metaphor and make it really clear yeah you brought this on yourselves. Just something more than here's a zombie coming to kill you because he's mean

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You know for all the complaints about post-book seasons remember when Dany had literally nothing happen for like all of season 2 and every episode she’d pop up and ask about her dragons and they introduced characters like the mask girl whose foreshadowing led to absolutely nothing happening

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My prediction is we're never seeing the Iron Islands or Girl Theon ever again

I was trying to figure out how the hell they're supposed to still cover Wintefell and King's Landing when the white walkers are already at the gates. Someone mentioned they think it'll go like:

Ep 3: Winterfell fight. Humans lose, half the cast dies and the rest escape
Ep 4: Here we are, running away. Maybe we run away to the islands.
Ep 5: SOmething happens in King's Landing? Maybe white walkers again??

So there's some room in there

ALSO also - there has been a popular fan theory for years that the main villian progression was gonna go Joffrey, Ramsay, Euron (Which it has in the books, and Euron is way more hosed up than Ramsay even) and they kept doing press before Euron came out that he would be worse than Ramsay and that all ended up being a whole lot of nothing.

In the books, Euron is obsessed with black magic, and claims to have tools to bring down the wall and enslave dragons. There is a pretty popular fan theory that he will have something to do with the white walkers, possibly to the point of joining them or wanting to become their leader

There is nothing suggesting any of this in the show and it would come out of fuckign nowhere if that's where they're going

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

He just comes off as Theon and Yara's wildly inappropriate uncle; talking openly about his sexual exploits, dressing wrong for his age, still going clubbing in his forties, constantly trying to score some molly from anyone he thinks might have some.

That scene where he approached Cersei in her throne room last season, I asked my friend 'Is this guy in his pajamas right now?'

Show Euron is living the goddamn dream.

Show Euron is basically Tormund. Weird horny charismatic guy. Dunno where the villain part comes from at this point

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's going to end with some weird time travel shenanigans showing us that all of this has happened before and all of it will happen again. Then Jimi Hendrix will start playing.

More Book Spoilers That Might Spoil The Ending Still:

You never see the Night King in the books, at least up until book 5. Old Nan, bran's nanny who is like basically a prophet at this point, says that his original name is erased from history but she believes it to be Brandon Stark soooo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Delthalaz posted:

Wow, OK so ravens and dragons do go at 747 speed or maybe supersonic fighter jet

There is a very old Game of Thrones videogame (forgot which one) where they built everything book accurate and to scale and using whatever was mentioned, and when GRRM saw the wall he was like "That's way too big why would you make it that big" before they told him that's actually how big the book made it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They didn't have any of this story figured out when they started the series so they spent a full season per book thinking yeah this lines up, and they publicly said many times yeah we'll have about as many seasons as books. Then they got GRRMs notes for the ending and were like holy gently caress seriously why did we spend a whole season on Dorne then and just started deleting storylines left and right to catch up.

Also part of it I feel like is the story used to jump around so much and they were pretty great at that - like weaving together an interesting episode even when every scene has nothing to do with another scene. Occasionally you would spend longer in one place for a big deal like a battle or Red Wedding. Now that everyone's in the same place it just doesn't work that well?

I feel like there is probably an entire book worth of content after the NK dies that we're getting in 3 episodes

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I loved his character but you could have removed Oberyn entirely from the show at this point and I think nothing would have changed?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just Chamber posted:

If the show still has any of that magic left in it that made it what it is (it doesn't), Jon won't be on the Iron Throne come the end of it all, this show has always shown that someone like him can never succeed in that world. He'll either be killed or he'll realise just what it takes to really be the ruler after he's forced to do something like kill Daenerys when she's going crazy and that'll break him and he'll walk away from it all. Not sure who'll actually sit on the throne in that scenario though. That's my hope for the ending anyway but i'm sure i'll be disappointed.

Even if he’s not Ned’s don Jon has the same sort of Ned charisma. If it was really on theme he gets lynched for saving everyone

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My secret wish is they make it a time travel bullshit ending like hold the door

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Famous TV Dad posted:

my secret wish is that they go full evangelion ep 25-26 and the entirety of the last two episodes are just the internal monologues of jon snow and dany

This is my new secret wish

You have bran already just do it. Episode 6 is just insane bran inside his own brain world.

Ned and catelyn clapping congratulations at him

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

While hilarious, I seriously doubt Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington would be so unprofessional and blatantly obvious if they were truly dissapointed with the series ending. I believe this is all just a hoax to keep the viewers coming back like "oooooh even the lead actors are angry, what kind of bullshit happens?? I must subscribe to HBO to see it!".

Don't get me wrong, I totally believe that the ending will be dissapointing, but not for the reasons the actors may be hinting at, which to me sounds more like "it's dissapointing...because I am a fan favorite and don't make it out alive! EXPECTATIONS SUBVERTED lololol wasn't that a charming bait and switch please hire me don't let this be the end of my career".

Dinklage's was a lot more subtle so maybe he was honestly dissapointed.

Yeah I have a feeling it's more like "I die in the series" disappointing. I don't actually know if the actors know how the show is coming together when they're filming it because everyone is filming such different plotlines all the time.

Dinklage feels like he's been done with the series for a while. He always sounds bored in interviews, he doesn't like being recognized as the GOT guy, he has always talked about how it's time for everyone to move on. 10 years is a long time to do a job.

Hell wasn't it news recently that an actress had her show renewed and said gently caress NO on twitter because she was just ready to move on even if it's like.. here's some guaranteed employment for another year

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Euron is the sand snakes of season 8

I don't think the Dany thing came out of nowhere at all, although the response was definitely not proportional. She crucified an entire city like 4 seasons ago and then george w bushed it into chaos, and just like GWB people are ok with that sort of thing "over there" but see it in a different light when it's over here.

But to me the one thing I am dissapointed with when it comes to "what I wanted to happen" is just stuff about the lore and background. Loads of details about gods and background players that have no payoff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Dany burning Kings landing probably made the Lord of light pretty happy. Ice and fire, fire wins.

The Lord of light clearly gave her the Dragons for this purpose, she was simply fulfilling her role to purge the non-believers in fire

My wife at one point thought Dany was going crazy because of Melisandre's influence which is too nuanced for the show
But like they made it pretty clear early on that hosed up magic has a price and then they sort of just decide to forget that (unless the price is insane dragon queens)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Uh are people sympathetic to Dany who is literally George w bush

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

God-Emperor of Mankind

YES that’s what this reminds me of. I feel insane that nobody I know who saw the ending saw this angle it’s all “huh bran ? So random”

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Are we referencing 40k or Dune? I always get my god-emperors mixed up

Book 4 of dune where Paul’s son suddenly gets the idea to become a 4000 year old god who rules over humanity shaping them in his perfect plan image. He can also see the future.

I really do think they were planting spinoff hooks in that one

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mr_Moose posted:

My purposely obtuse interpretation of this last season is that Bran is actually a vengeful godling and he more or less encouraged Dany's war crimes against King's Landing through acts of information warfare because he was miffed about what they let happen to his dad. Also because he's loosely affiliated with whatever the Lord of Light is and could be an Earthly aspect of it, sacrificing innocent people by burning them to death is well within his interests.

Him being crowned king was somehow actually his plan all along once he got super powers and thus a means to get an all encompassing revenge on the family that cost him his ability to walk. Something something Jamie's ultimate fate of failing to save the woman he pushed a child out of a tall tower for and being crushed to death far underground by falling rubble was Bran's incomplete understanding of dramatic irony.

Supporting evidence for this includes the fact that Bran knew he was going to be chosen to be king through an extremely short deliberation following a speech from a Dwarf prisoner. Also he let his sister do her own thing plus made sure his largest competitor (Cousin Brother) renounced any claim to the throne by reestablishing a not-quite-a-prison for wayward gently caress ups.

Also a lot of this could have been avoided if Jon would just made sure Dany ate a hearty meal before she drove her dragon to war.

I think the book was setting up bran as the villain via the 3 eyed raven stuff yes.

Why did he warg all the time even when the night king was right there? He changed the past with Hodor there is no way he didn’t keep changing it. “These days I mostly live in the past”

Bad execution bran is the villain imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

what was the loving point of this show and or the books?

what story they tried to tell?

i cant rememeber a show so grandiose but yet so empty.

cersei didnt matter, the night king didnt matter, dany didnt matter. watching this after chernobyl and holy gently caress this show is bad. they even stole from LOTR with the boat scene, the writing in the book scene. just what the gently caress they where trying to do? im baffled.

War is bad even if you think it’s not. Dany is post 9/11 Bush when everyone was cheering to invade Afghanistan and Iraq (Mereen and Astapor) and thinking ya kill those Civilians because some of them hurt us once.

Then you see it from the point of view of the west and you’re like wait, wars in the Middle East... May have been bad! Why are we cheering for this man!

But irl the same defense secretary gets to try to invade Iran in 2019