Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zaphod42 posted:

Almost everything telltale did was their worst.

The early games were rough and boring.

The walking dead was meh but did well so management decided to crank out TWD clones with other licenses and slowly ground their employees into dust while driving the company to bankruptcy.

Their BTTF game is p cool imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Their Game of Thrones one is down there mostly because they had to work in a side story that also interacted with the main characters and had a reason you’re even dealing with these new characters, so the writing challenge alone would be way harder to do than some new franchise or one that’s already been completed

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

How about Game of Thrones but it's an anime

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
For what its worth Isaac Hempstead (Bran) has said D&D told him King Bran is something GRRM told them directly, so the books will wind up there too.

Or never come out, more likely.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Sky Shadowing posted:

For what its worth Isaac Hempstead (Bran) has said D&D told him King Bran is something GRRM told them directly, so the books will wind up there too.

This seems kind of obvious to me now looking back because the show is really written like D&D didn't know what to do with the character and just shoved him into the plot point with minimum effort

The two things Isaac said GRRM told them are basically the only notable things to happen to Bran in the last few seasons other than revealing Jon's heritage

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

How about Game of Thrones but it's an anime

Can it have hip hop influenced jazz music instead? Would totally watch Cowboy Bebop Westeros. Theon is Ed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sky Shadowing posted:

This is a crazy idea, but if D&D couldn't come up with a plausible way to get to the endings that we got, maybe they should have just come up with their own ending that made more sense for the show universe.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I have nothing against Bran becoming King but it was not handled well in the show. He's basically a non-entity in the power struggle for the entire show and then everyone just goes "well alright he can rule us, his family says he has a ghost wizard in his brain so ... so that makes it ok??... ??? (???)"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zaphod42 posted:

Almost everything telltale did was their worst.

The early games were rough and boring.

The walking dead was meh but did well so management decided to crank out TWD clones with other licenses and slowly ground their employees into dust while driving the company to bankruptcy.

Tales from the Borderlands was pretty rad, and I enjoyed what they did with Batman too.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah i bet if Bran as king is really the plan there will be a bunch of Muad'dib poo poo that convinces everyone. Could have taken an extra 20 minutes for that too but "gently caress it this poo poo is done"

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

I think that's unfair read of what he is saying tbh esp given that when you look at some of his Hedge Knight writings and whatnot he clearly does know a lot about the medieval period.

I feel like he obviously meant to say it was put together by swordsmiths not furniture makers IE it's not a nice comfy chair and wasn't supposed to be.

He literally says "It was put together by blacksmiths not craftsmen" to explain the throne being "ugly and asymmetric" in his words. GRRM clearly knows more about ren faire cod-Medievalism than genuine history.
Do an image search for Medieval iron work and be amazed at it's lack of lumpen crudity.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fragmented posted:

Yeah i bet if Bran as king is really the plan there will be a bunch of Muad'dib poo poo that convinces everyone. Could have taken an extra 20 minutes for that too but "gently caress it this poo poo is done"

I'm thinking that whole season where he wasn't around, they could've had him learning poo poo about westeros and more explicitly being corrupted by Bloodraven or something
I dunno
anything more than the "nothing" they did would've been good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I thought a dragon forged it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

EmptyVessel posted:

He literally says "It was put together by blacksmiths not craftsmen" to explain the throne being "ugly and asymmetric" in his words. GRRM clearly knows more about ren faire cod-Medievalism than genuine history.
Do an image search for Medieval iron work and be amazed at it's lack of lumpen crudity.

It's definitely a fair statement that he knows way less about genuine history than he should to write a series like this, but "blacksmiths are skilled craftsmen" is like day 1 poo poo. The way he describes a ton of the actual armor and weaponry in the book he would have to have just a really bizarre disconnect to think that fancy pieces was made by "craftsmen" with more practical stuff being made by "blacksmiths". He obviously just worded it badly, and meant that the throne wasn't designed to be an aesthetically pleasing and ornate piece of furniture but a big frightening mess where the biggest challenge was getting all those swords piled into a chair-like shape and welded together.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EmptyVessel posted:

It was forged by DRAGON FIRE you jerk

The smiths were more concerned about not getting melted themselves. Of course it looks messy it wasn't a controlled forge it was DRAGONS

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

christmas boots posted:

I thought a dragon forged it

Yep. Smiths helped, because dragons can't hold swords, but a dragon sat there and melted the swords.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc some ~valyrian magic~ was used by the smiths in the forging of the throne via Balerion's dragonflame

Maybe the throne is more valyrian steel than chair

They can defeat the others by catapulting it over the ramparts holy grail style

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

In the books (lol)) Brann as king is gonna be way more, well like GRRM said, bittersweet. Instead of it being brann.exe there is deffo going to be some sort of merging wit the 3 eyed raven going on. He might be the best (elected) king but Brann himself won't be fully moral any more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

esperterra posted:

iirc some ~valyrian magic~ was used by the smiths in the forging of the throne via Balerion's dragonflame

Killing the NK by dropping the iron throne on him would have been hilarious

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

would explain why the thing's still so drat sharp people keep cutting themselves by sitting on it wrong

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Sam and max was good. BTTF had this uncanny valley with the voice acting that turned me off, I don't know, it's hard to explain.
Any game where "[name] will remember that" is trash. They never once rewarded you for your choices. Your choices were exclusively to beat you over the head, why didn't you choose the other one? A grandmotherly scold. You should have gone to dentist school. Once you see it the games are impossible to enjoy.

Game of thrones was just barely not the worst because jurassic park existed. And a plus side to game of thrones: Nothing you do matters so just talk poo poo to everyone. Who cares. If you're meant to get stabbed in this scene just talk poo poo to ramsay and earn it. If you're destined to survive then talk poo poo to him anyway and watch him spin wheels and come out saying nice moxie I could use a foul mouthed child like you in my crew. Nothing matters. Flip them off when you're led to the guillotines. Big deal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobjr posted:

You joke but the telltale Game of Thrones game is down there with their worst stuff. Hope you like constant talks with Ramsay you can’t win.

Also Tyrion shows up once or twice

It's so bad I didn't even finish it despite owning all the episodes

Shame too because it had a neat watercolor art style

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

christmas boots posted:

Tales from the Borderlands was pretty rad, and I enjoyed what they did with Batman too.

Yeah those two are REALLY good.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Always hated how the show throne looked compared to the book. The book throne is intimidating as gently caress and I dont think it would have been that hard to at least make it a big pile of swords with a throne in the middle even if you dont make it 20 feet tall or w/e.

It would have been a great moment if Dany had sat down in that last episode and cut herself, which was always taken as a sign you were unfit to rule. Hell if it was right before Jon stabs her it would be pretty neat, as he could take it as some reassurance that he's right to go ahead with it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I wish they had Dany try to recruit Jon to rule with her and their baby, placing his hands on her belly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I enjoy the baked in metaphor for the fortunes of the North being a series of successively smallerJons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I enjoy the baked in metaphor for the fortunes of the North being a series of successively smallerJons.

MicroJon Umber killed by an undead raccoon.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Sam and max was good. BTTF had this uncanny valley with the voice acting that turned me off, I don't know, it's hard to explain.

It's because they got Christopher Lloyd back to do Doc Brown but he sounds noticeably older, while it's not Michael J. Fox doing Marty but a soundalike.

It's like when you're accidentally exposed to a season 46 Zombie Simpsons episode and hear Hank Azaria try to do Moe.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Or when Disney hired Homer Simpson to be Genie.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Or when Disney hired Homer Simpson to be Genie.

I was comparing old Lloyd trying to sound like young Lloyd but genie was bad too.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Swords are about 1kg of steel each and with a density of about 8000kg/m³, you'd have a 50x50x50cm cube of material to work with.

Less of an Iron Throne, more of an Iron Ottoman

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Just Chamber posted:

Always hated how the show throne looked compared to the book. The book throne is intimidating as gently caress and I dont think it would have been that hard to at least make it a big pile of swords with a throne in the middle even if you dont make it 20 feet tall or w/e.

It would have been a great moment if Dany had sat down in that last episode and cut herself, which was always taken as a sign you were unfit to rule. Hell if it was right before Jon stabs her it would be pretty neat, as he could take it as some reassurance that he's right to go ahead with it.

Dany accidentlly killing herself on the throne and everyone thinking Jon stabbed her would be pretty bittersweet.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Death of a thousand rear end cuts.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

esperterra posted:

Night King and his force slaughter most of the living at Winterfell, rest of the season is the remaining characters fleeing south. Final forces of the North are killed by Cersei's forces. Final episode is The Others overpowering King's Landing, killing all those insisde. The Night Kings sits on the Iron Throne, nicks his leg on it, dying immediately and dropping all of The Others. Fade to Black

EXPECTATIONS SUBVERTED

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

jfood posted:

y'all stuck on the mountain, when greatjon is standing at 7'2 swining a slightly sharpened two-hundred pound bar of iron

half the warriors in the series are like 6.6 and upwards, martin likes his guys (and gals, hello Brienne) big and tall.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

jisforjosh posted:

Night King and his force slaughter most of the living at Winterfell, rest of the season is the remaining characters fleeing south. Final forces of the North are killed by Cersei's forces. Final episode is The Others overpowering King's Landing, killing all those insisde. The Night Kings sits on the Iron Throne, nicks his leg on it, dying immediately and dropping all of The Others. Fade to Black

EXPECTATIONS SUBVERTED

This year, jisforjosh is a writer on our show.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like this youtube essay is a pretty good breakdown of just exactly how this last season fell apart, I just wish it had a little more comedy around the fact D&D rushed to finish this so they could gently caress up Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=habt4hbvJHg

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah I don't think there's anything that anyone could disagree with in that video. Also the clips that they use make a couple of things really apparent: the writing in the last 2 seasons is loving horrendous compared to the early seasons if not outright contradictory, and the misdirection of the scenes verged on Westworld levels of faking out the audience in order to do the heavy lifting that the plotting couldn't.

One of the things that I think speaks to how much they botched the ending is that no one (at least on social media where I've seen) is talking about GoT anymore. I mean, the fan accounts are still going, some memes are floating around, and I guess the big post-mortems from the main media outlets are still coming but people just seem to have moved on and left it behind. Kind of sad to see it play out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I feel like this youtube essay is a pretty good breakdown of just exactly how this last season fell apart, I just wish it had a little more comedy around the fact D&D rushed to finish this so they could gently caress up Star Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=habt4hbvJHg

Yeah I watched this a few days ago and its pretty spot on.

Mat Cauthon posted:

One of the things that I think speaks to how much they botched the ending is that no one (at least on social media where I've seen) is talking about GoT anymore. I mean, the fan accounts are still going, some memes are floating around, and I guess the big post-mortems from the main media outlets are still coming but people just seem to have moved on and left it behind. Kind of sad to see it play out.

Yeah, interest fell like a loving stone as soon as the finale aired. I don't know anybody who is actually interested in the spinoffs. Even the hardcore nerds are pretty done now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
drat, it sounds like they basically ruined it for everybody. Smh, hope people are watching and this has an actual effect on their careers, normally I don't think it would, but if they really ended up tanking interest in the spin-offs that's money out of HBO's pocket.