Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
People are in fact, speaking about this show in 3 separate threads on this forum still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

People are in fact, speaking about this show in 3 separate threads on this forum still

As of season 7, GOT+ 2-3 spin-offs was probably a potential $1 billion revenue source over the next 10 years. Now it's only something like $800 mio. Shareholders must be pretty pissed at D&D

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Collapsing Farts posted:

When the discourse dries up on Twitter and at the office it's gotta go somewhere

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

mp5 posted:

When the discourse dries up on Twitter and at the office it's gotta go somewhere

Literally everyone I talked to IRL about the show, including my wife, is loving done with the subject. Personally I'm not yet tired of listening to people dunk on it and confirm my perfect opinions.

Google suggestions still thinks it's all I want to hear about though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Imagined posted:

Literally everyone I talked to IRL about the show, including my wife, is loving done with the subject. Personally I'm not yet tired of listening to people dunk on it and confirm my perfect opinions.

Google suggestions still thinks it's all I want to hear about though.

I think it's that it was really only a small subsection of the fanbase who got the hateboner back in season 5 or so. Even season 6 haters are early adopters. For most of the viewership, it was Oscar-caliber material until the battle of Winterfell began the four-episode shart of a finale. They're still feeling hurt and ripped off so of course they're done talking about it. For them it was a shock where for us it's been a very slow-burning facepalm. We've had much longer to get over it.

What is thread may never die.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 6, 2019

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I think what was funny was that immediately after the finale there was another brief flare up of "grrms plans to finish the book" news, but that seems to have died down as quickly as it started.

Dorne was an obvious fumble but for me the exact episode that the show seemingly took a hard turn into being a parody of itself was S07E05.

I actually really liked season 7 up until then, it'd had some solid dialogue and felt like itself. In the course of the next episode I thought I was watching a completely different show, travel time was suddenly ignored and the show rebranded itself as a Magnificent Seven-esque cartoon adventure. The shift in tone almost gave me whiplash.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is that the zombie polar bear?

EDIT: Oh 7-5 is the one with the weird Tarly execution scene where sam's brother seems to be acting like he's in a comedy. Very weird episode.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

so in this scene the joke is that bronn finds it funny that his name is dickon

—David benioff, inside the episode

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is dick even used as slang in Westeros?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is dick even used as slang in Westeros?

Yes but rarely.

quote:

The dead man was one of Ramsay's favorites, the squat, scrofulous, ill-favored man-at-arms called Yellow Dick. Whether his dick had actually been yellow was hard to determine, as someone had sliced it off and stuffed it into his mouth so forcefully they had broken three of his teeth. When the cooks found him outside the kitchens, buried up to his neck in a snowdrift, both dick and man were blue from cold. "Burn the body," Roose Bolton ordered, "and see that you do not speak of this. I'll not have this tale spread."

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't remember the episode or even the season but there's a scene where somebody explains the word "dick" to Tormund.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Rando posted:

I can't remember the episode or even the season but there's a scene where somebody explains the word "dick" to Tormund.

he likes it

(i think it's in season 7 when the magnificent seven--plus a varying amount of unnamed idiots--are capturing the wight)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cheryl Noble is now my drag name.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The only person I know who isn't just done with the franchise (in talking about it at all) was the person that Yassss Gurrrlll when Littlefinger contrived moroned himself to death and tried to debate me about the contrivances, but then went on a ten page rant about how contrived evil Dany was.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pretty interesting interview with Miguel Sapochnik, who is one of the more revered episode directors. Sounds like D&D were being a pain in the rear end way back as far as Hardhome. https://news.avclub.com/game-of-thrones-director-miguel-sapochnik-talks-getting-1835515287

[quote="Miguel Sapochnik" post=""""]
His crimes? Weaving in his own sense of cinematic flair. He cites a scene between Cersei and Tommen that he shot through bars to indicate the idea that Tommen is, in his own way, imprisoned by the kingdom. Later, he shot Maester Aemon’s death scene in a way that mirrored his deathbed with his funeral pyre. Benioff and Weiss, he says, were none too pleased.

“[Benioff and Weiss] said [it was] ‘so self-conscious and we hate it basically,’” Sapochnik says, saying that the pair preferred a much more classic style of direction. “I was visually policed for the first three months of my shoot and it made the creation of ‘Hardhome’ really difficult because I pissed them off.”
[/quote]

[quote="Miguel Sapochnik" post=""""]
He also says he argued with Benioff and Weiss over the battle’s dearth of impactful deaths in the Long Night. “I wanted to kill everyone,” he says in news that really makes us wish he were running the show. “I wanted to kill Jorah in the horse charge at the beginning. I wanted it to be ruthless, so in the first 10 minutes you could say all bets are off, anyone could die. But David and Dan didn’t want to. There was a lot of back and forth on that.” Sapochnick says he eventually relented because “there comes a point when they dig in and you just don’t want to be there.”
[/quote]

I do think not killing Jorah in the main charge was the right move, even if it would have been shocking. His defense of Dany in the last moments of the battle was really the ending the character deserved and one of the more moving sequences of the entire final season. But seeing what else Sapochnik had in mind for the Long Night would've been :black101:

Unrelated but I went back and watched some clips from earlier seasons and man, Alfie Allen really played the gently caress out of Theon, especially in S2 & S3. I guess he got overshadowed by the more prominent main cast members but he really should've gotten an Emmy nomination at some point. Shame that they gave him fuckall to do in the the last few seasons besides get kicked in the balls and teleport around the map as a plot device. At least he got a decent ending to his arc.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 15, 2019

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

esperterra posted:

Cheryl Noble is now my drag name.

You fool, it should clearly be Cherry Noble, for the added pun of popping a cherry. Shame!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

McCloud posted:

You fool, it should clearly be Cherry Noble, for the added pun of popping a cherry. Shame!

hmmmm fair

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mat Cauthon posted:

Unrelated but I went back and watched some clips from earlier seasons and man, Alfie Allen really played the gently caress out of Theon, especially in S2 & S3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQlgIjf2jdg

This is one of my favourite Theon scenes, the way he immediately regresses to Reek when the Ironborn commander calls him out is amazing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arya Stark sailed back to her home planet.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Arya Stark sailed back to her home planet.

It irritated me to no end that no one answered Arya's "What's west of Westeros?" with "Rough seas and sea monsters, that's why everyone dies."

Also, couldn't Bran just tell her since he's pretty much omnipotent now?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
In my Bran is evil headcannon he sent he off to die to eliminate a threat to his rule.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I know he never will because lmao, but I wish gurm would write like a planetospedia where he details the rest of the weird flora and fauna and even cosmology of the world

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I know he never will because lmao, but I wish gurm would write like a planetospedia where he details the rest of the weird flora and fauna and even cosmology of the world

There's a coffee table book calld The World of Ice and Fire. I dunno how much of that stuff it details

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Calaveron posted:

No the answer is way better. What's West of Westeros is Essos. In the books, everyone thinks Euron Greyjoy is like this psycho wizard who can teleport because he can sail way faster than everyone else can to the point it seems like he's magic. He's actually just the only guy in the setting who knows the planet is a sphere and that can sail around it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vichan posted:

It irritated me to no end that no one answered Arya's "What's west of Westeros?" with "Rough seas and sea monsters, that's why everyone dies."

Also, couldn't Bran just tell her since he's pretty much omnipotent now?

It annoys me that someone with no talent for sailing thinks they can be the world's best sailor overnight. The world just doesn't work that way, its unbelievable arrogance, but that's Hollywood fantasy storytelling. You're the hero, you can do everything.

Its like an 8 year old telling a story. "And then the hero wins and he's the bestest ever and everybody says so and he decides to be a painter and he paints the best painting and then he goes to run in a marathon and he wins and he's faster than everybody else by a minute and then he joins the football team and scores 100 touchdowns and then he becomes the first man in space".

Also she completely abandons what she was doing because of her family, because she realizes deep down she's a Stark and not a faceless nobody, she needs and wants to be with her surviving family. She travels across the world to get back to them, helps them fight a war, and then... changes her mind and loving leaves????

"Yeah okay it was nice to see ya again Bran and Sansa and Jon but I'm sick of y'all so... bye"

The only ending that actually makes sense for Arya is to be Sansa's assassin on retainer.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
She paid some sailors to sail her

It's not like she got on a boat alone

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well, Columbus knew nothing about geometry or navigation, so why can't Arya.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Also I never really said this before but the visual design of the dragons in this show kinda sucked

They're like Transformers; super detailed CG but its just a mess of the same poo poo on and on without anything to draw your eyes.

There's no clear lines or contrast, just a heap of scales. The only thing remotely memorable about them is the fins on top, and half the time they blend in completely with the scales.

So loving boring.

In that shot one is kinda yellow-green and one is more red, which is nice, but in most shots they both just look like a mix of brown. Imagine if one was bright green entirely so you always knew which was Drogon. Blagh.

They were much better as babies. Bright colors, not covered in a billion spikes.

This post is from awhile ago but I agree with it so hard. The dragons sucked rear end, the only time they ever looked compelling was when they were sillouhetted against the storm in the third episode. I think they were indistinguishable from one another largely because the visual designers were idiots who don’t know fantasy and thus leaned heavily into the “they’re basically just lizards” aesthetic and made them look like enormous Gila monsters or something

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Frog Act posted:

This post is from awhile ago but I agree with it so hard. The dragons sucked rear end, the only time they ever looked compelling was when they were sillouhetted against the storm in the third episode. I think they were indistinguishable from one another largely because the visual designers were idiots who don’t know fantasy and thus leaned heavily into the “they’re basically just lizards” aesthetic and made them look like enormous Gila monsters or something

Also isn't Drogon supposed to be larger than Rhaegal(the green one?) because Rhaegal was chained up in the basement?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

mp5 posted:

Also isn't Drogon supposed to be larger than Rhaegal(the green one?) because Rhaegal was chained up in the basement?

yes but the show seems to have forgotten that.

how rhaegal died was never an issue for me, just the way it was filmed. euron 360 noscoping him from around a cliff was stupid. if they had shown the ironborn throwing an entire volley at dany, who escapes on the faster and stronger drogon, while rhaegal struggles to fly away in time and is brought down, it woulda been p lit tbh

i mean why the gently caress else establish how injured he is if not to clearly visually show it being his downfall

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Or have Euron attack, threaten the ship Missandei is on, Dany is like "oh hell no, dragon time!", Tyrion is like "wait!" But she doesn't hear him, and then Euron reveals the hidden ballista when she's too close to miss.

Or or they find Euron's fleet and Euron pretends to flee in fear and Dany presses the attack not seeing the ballistas yet. She attacks, they fire at close range.

Or or or have it happen DURING the battle for king's landing, so she has some losses trying to clear the bay, and that acts as inciting incident to her going mad.

There's so many things you could do that would make waaaay more sense.

Instead he 360 noscopes one dragon from miles away, but then fails to hit Dany a single time even given ample opportunity. Its the dumbest most contrived writing.

That one game of thrones patch notes list got it right. Overnight they became super powerful and then weak again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You'd think Tyrion would have at some point said "hey, don't charge the ships with your dragon. That's how your great great grandfather got their dragon killed, and it wasn't even that hard to do. This seems like a trap."

If he wasn't bonked on the head and couldn't remember anything he'd read of course.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

:psypop::chloe:

Haha, she had kids, multiple, with this guy.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

esperterra posted:

how rhaegal died was never an issue for me, just the way it was filmed. euron 360 noscoping him from around a cliff was stupid. if they had shown the ironborn throwing an entire volley at dany, who escapes on the faster and stronger drogon, while rhaegal struggles to fly away in time and is brought down, it woulda been p lit tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9lRgk_HR-g

It's painful just how much better this setup is with Rhaegal dying specifically as a result of Dany's actions.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

E: wrong thread

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 18, 2019

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was expecting them to splice in her getting mad on the belltower and then burning the city, i got confused with that other good idea on how to fix it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So, an Inside The Thrones was shot to air after the finale and then pulled by HBO who seemingly decided to now do damage control for some reason. I can only think they spouted some dumb poo poo that was going to get them mocked in that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.
0:02: okay its winter times
0:15: okay the soveits are still in hawkins
0:30: a railroad? to the lab mayhap?
0:42: HAWPER!!