Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a ham fisted joke, a nod to book readers and a breaking of the fourth wall, the whole "no elephants" "no elephants?" "yup, I said no elephants" exchange serves no purpose other than humor, it's not like it was a plot critical bit of information and just ignoring the elephant line would have been very much on par for the show.

They were not ignoring the no elephants in the room.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

It seems sort of weird to me that there's still people thinking this all ends with the good guys ruling from the iron throne. The shows pretty explicitly been about subverting exactly that sort of thing. Heroes and Villains band together and overcome the even bigger threat is just not how its going to go down. Everyone in Westeros is hosed. At best we should be speculating on which characters make it out alive and sail east.

It's more a question of how each major character that's left goes out, and which ones wrap up their own personal stories with a fulfilling finish than anything else.

Like I hope we get Cleaganebowl at some point but I don't expect the Hound to actually survive the fight. At best he probably takes his brothers sword to the guts, then wraps the Mountain up and holds him in place for some oncoming dragons fire or something.

Dany's probably going to lose most everyone she knows and then her mind as well before she eats it in some big battle of vengence burning down Kings Landing.

Stuff like that.

Dany and Jon win the war, get married, and ride off into the sunset on a dragon to rule peacefully from the iron throne is not where this is headed.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
That seems like a pretty absurd either/or.

It seems more likely to me that the good guys win but Jon and Daenerys don't make it alive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even though those old leaks seem fake now I'm totally willing to believe Euron as the Final Fantasy Last Boss

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The new leak (i believe from friki the spanish dude) is that Tyrion betrays Dany, sets fire to KL and is executed near or in the finale. This either means Tyrion is inexplicably the villain or maybe D&D will finally point out Dany is insane and he does it to try and stop her from ruling as a mad queen but fails where Jaime succeeded w/ aerys

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That seems remarkably plausible

Can't wait for the internet to explode when the FINAL BATTLE ends up being either 5 minutes of WWs being crisped OR ends up taking up an entire episode.

There are no winners in this Game

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's not poopgate, but the so-called fake spoilers also have most of the heroes/antiheroes dying in the dragon pit when Drogon lights it up, catching all of the wildfire underneath and exploding everybody to bits. This strikes me as plausible at least and it's slightly more interesting than Dany of the Shits

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The more they wrote they more they shat

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Azor Aahey stabbed his wife with a sword and pulled out the magic sword that's always on fire right?

Well Jon already stabbed Dany with his sword, we have yet to see if its on fire yet

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish this show had the balls to have the WW win. Its all westeros deserves

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

esperterra posted:

The new leak (i believe from friki the spanish dude) is that Tyrion betrays Dany, sets fire to KL and is executed near or in the finale. This either means Tyrion is inexplicably the villain or maybe D&D will finally point out Dany is insane and he does it to try and stop her from ruling as a mad queen but fails where Jaime succeeded w/ aerys
Is that from the same batch that said Tyrion was in love with Dany? Cause at least ep1 didn't really seem to hint at that angle yet.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Zedd posted:

Is that from the same batch that said Tyrion was in love with Dany? Cause at least ep1 didn't really seem to hint at that angle yet.

I’m not sure that those leaks said he was in love with Dany but Peter Dinklage did imply that in an interview but I think (hope) that he was just trolling

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phi230 posted:

Azor Aahey stabbed his wife with a sword and pulled out the magic sword that's always on fire right?

Well Jon already stabbed Dany with his sword, we have yet to see if its on fire yet

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Wait, which are the new leaks now? I'm lost, there is so much bullshit up, I just want to have some quality spoiler for this show. :smith:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I worked late and was feeling sick last night when I arrived home so I only just got around to watch the episode. I get it ep1 are generally slow, but boy was this boring.

The artificial "she no queen u king" drama felt really forced taking into account the end of the world is upon them (I audibly groaned out loud when Lyanna Mormont started speaking), and the 8 year awaited reunions were junior school performance level of bad with the actors standing in front of each other reading out loud how oh they missed each other so much.

Even the season titty quota felt like they didn't want to be there

On a side note, I've been marathoning the Berserk manga these past days, and Drogon getting it on while watching Dany and Jon make out was disturbingly hilarious

what's the next set of spoilers? are we still on track for poo poo pelting?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Jamie kills Dany and becomes the Queenkingslayer

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

Jamie kills Dany and becomes the Queenkingslayer

That would make 5 dead regents during his tenure on the Kingsguard?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

That would make 5 dead regents during his tenure on the Kingsguard?

Not enough imho, kill Jon Snow again as well.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Jamie is the best boy, and now with a beard he looks like Joel from The Last of Us. Wasn't Arya going to play Ellie? Do it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

what's the next set of spoilers? are we still on track for poo poo pelting?

The current set is the pilot and the stuff about Tyrion. The Spanish guy doesn't seem to have leaked anything else so far.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

SimonChris posted:

The current set is the pilot and the stuff about Tyrion. The Spanish guy doesn't seem to have leaked anything else so far.

Honestly wondering if that's the case because he thought, nah, let's not leak more yet, or because he just hasn't done the subtitles yet and all of Spain is waiting for that one guy in his basement doing them in one weed infested night.

All other spoilers found so were seemed inaccurate regarding that the first episode was already way off those in various degrees, so it appears we actually have to wait for this to happen, for now. :smith:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/04/game-of-thrones-arya-weapon-gendry-dragonglass

quote:

From Dunne’s comments and those schematics, this looks to be a spear-like weapon that can unscrew into being two short-range stabbing weapons as well. Essentially, a double-ended spear that can also act as two daggers. One tip is definitely dragonglass—we can tell that from Arya’s schematics

lmao

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That drawing is loving lmao

kater
Nov 16, 2010

my lightsaber’s kyber crystal is dragonglass

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's a metaphor for fuckin'

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

ashpanash posted:

It's a metaphor for fuckin'

honestly assumed this when seeing it

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
I was interested in the show at the beginning because there were interesting/likable characters on each side of every conflict, and I really feel like that's missing now.
First it was Ramsay, who was so one note and unrealistic that any death would have been unsatisfying because he just stuck around too long. Now we have Euron, who's essentially the same character so he wore out his welcome from scene one. I'm not saying I want the Night King to have a troubled past or something, but man it would be so much more engrossing if a single character on the bad team seemed like a person or like someone who I was even kind of rooting for.
That's why the Blackwater episode was so good, and it's been missing from every battle episode in these last few seasons (Hardhome is when I knew the show was probably not for me anymore). We're building to a huge conflict between the Jon/Dany and Cersei, but everyone on team Cersei loving sucks and not in a "love to hate them" kinda way.

Mullitt fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 16, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ramsay was great because Iwan Rheon is great, jesus he even managed to be pretty good as Mick Mars in the otherwise incredibly bad Motley Crue movie that Netflix put out a few weeks ago

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It's pretty amazing from about Season 4 to now Arya went from being one of the best characters to being the fuckin most boring, corny, wish-fulfillment fan service possible

I mean, maybe behind Bronn. But, Bronn is still funny when he's on screen, even though he's implausibly bouncing around while he's literally in the same city of a Queen who distrusts and hates him, who knows he's friends with her two hated brothers, and not only tolerates him to live but actually gives him a mission to kill them. Good god.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"You want the good detective, but what you need is the hard dick"

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

It's pretty amazing from about Season 4 to now Arya went from being one of the best characters to being the fuckin most boring, corny, wish-fulfillment fan service possible

I mean, maybe behind Bronn. But, Bronn is still funny when he's on screen, even though he's implausibly bouncing around while he's literally in the same city of a Queen who distrusts and hates him, who knows he's friends with her two hated brothers, and not only tolerates him to live but actually gives him a mission to kill them. Good god.

It's another example where they took the set up in the book (Arya is in training to become a faceless man) and then just skip straight to the end (she now has superpowers). Same thing happens with Jon's resurrection, Stannis' defeat, Jon riding a dragon, etc. They didn't condense anything, they just removed the middle of every plot line because you know where it's headed anyway, why waste time.
It's about the destination, not the journey.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Phi230 posted:

That drawing is loving lmao

Thank God she drew a "schematic" or else the blacksmith wouldnt know what the gently caress a spear was.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

banned from Starbucks posted:

Thank God she drew a "schematic" or else the blacksmith wouldnt know what the gently caress a spear was.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
jokes on you when it turns out is a dragonglass blowgun, making it the closest we can get to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdA6lQ6ymhU

(it's super tragic that most of this parody vid turned out right in a manner)

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 16, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Arya wants an Insect Glaive

And now I want her to have one. Let's get fuckin nuts here people

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Double-ended dildo design that she found among Littlefinger's things.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mullitt posted:

I was interested in the show at the beginning because there were interesting/likable characters on each side of every conflict, and I really feel like that's missing now.
First it was Ramsay, who was so one note and unrealistic that any death would have been unsatisfying because he just stuck around too long. Now we have Euron, who's essentially the same character so he wore out his welcome from scene one. I'm not saying I want the Night King to have a troubled past or something, but man it would be so much more engrossing if a single character on the bad team seemed like a person or like someone who I was even kind of rooting for.
That's why the Blackwater episode was so good, and it's been missing from every battle episode in these last few seasons (Hardhome is when I knew the show was probably not for me anymore). We're building to a huge conflict between the Jon/Dany and Cersei, but everyone on team Cersei loving sucks and not in a "love to hate them" kinda way.

I learned to enjoy Euron in last season and even tho he is slightly toned down in Ep1 him just being a literal clown in the middle of the rest of the characters meant to be taken seriously is hilarious to me; intentional or not.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That stupid thing is going to kill the undead dragon. I remember that from some giant spoiler thing awhile ago. Seemed so stupid it had to be true.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is that guy going to spoil episode 2 like he did for the first one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mullitt posted:

Show Euron doesn't even have anything impressive about him going on. Ramsay at least felt like they were trying to one-up the cruelty of Joffrey, even if he wasn't as complex and interesting as Joffrey. But Euron isn't a one-up of Ramsay in any way... he's just some guy with ambition to be a pirate lord. So? In this world, that's basically saintly.

In the books he's ultra hardcore cruel and crazy, but the show hasn't gotten to any of that. Show Euron is more like Victarion than Euron.