Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
This game's writing is way better than Final Unity's: guess that's the difference between people who made Alone in the Dark (and basically the entire WRPG genre,) and the people who made Tetris Classic, Welltris, Wordtris, and Super Tetris. :v:

Edit: Also, you can get WRPG.com for the low, low price of $25,895, and you can learn that Apach is functioning normally on wrpg.net. Oddly enough, wrpg.org is still open, so .org domains aren't even worth squatting on, apparently.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's nice to see this game be LP'd by someone who cares about it. It's an old classic from my childhood, and a superb adventure game that captures the TOS feel and aesthetic perfectly.

If I remember rightly the mission coming up next is my favourite, with just the right combination of haunting ruins and bastard math puzzles.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this episode, the crew investigate signs of activity on a planet that was abandoned long ago. This mission is pretty short if you know what you are doing. I didn't really know what I was doing, but luckily I had a guide close to hand.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
A shot mission but still one of my favourites - I have a soft spot for stories that involve stumbling across some old ruin or technology then slowly learning what it was, who built it and why as you pick through the debris. Leaning new things along the way. Bonus points for throwing in some red herrings and twists along the way.

Anyway.

Some part of me wonders though, if in some twisted way, the away team's interfering with the base's computers and screwing up the launch was itself a violation of the Prime Directive. Kirk was ordered not to do anything which would affect the planet's inhabitants but we did end up changing their fate in the end. There's been a number of story arcs through the Star Trek series where the crew come across some primitive species currently in the throws of some natural disaster or other catastrophe which is threatening their survival and while Starfleet was more than capable of assisting they were explicitly told to stay out of it and let nature take its course while everyone did some soul searching and debated the morals of watching life extinguish itself while they stood there and watched. The missile base on the moon is obviously not a natural disaster, nor is it something the bronze age societies on the planet could defend themselves against, but it is something they themselves built (even if it was from a bygone age). This is just one of their terrible decisions coming back to haunt them; a lovely fate but their fate none-the-less.

But in the end the inhabitants of Proxtrey got a second chance so there's no use worrying about it now. Just have to hope they learned their lesson the first time and don't grow up to become the next Borg.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

A shot mission but still one of my favourites - I have a soft spot for stories that involve stumbling across some old ruin or technology then slowly learning what it was, who built it and why as you pick through the debris. Leaning new things along the way. Bonus points for throwing in some red herrings and twists along the way.

Anyway.

Some part of me wonders though, if in some twisted way, the away team's interfering with the base's computers and screwing up the launch was itself a violation of the Prime Directive. Kirk was ordered not to do anything which would affect the planet's inhabitants but we did end up changing their fate in the end. There's been a number of story arcs through the Star Trek series where the crew come across some primitive species currently in the throws of some natural disaster or other catastrophe which is threatening their survival and while Starfleet was more than capable of assisting they were explicitly told to stay out of it and let nature take its course while everyone did some soul searching and debated the morals of watching life extinguish itself while they stood there and watched. The missile base on the moon is obviously not a natural disaster, nor is it something the bronze age societies on the planet could defend themselves against, but it is something they themselves built (even if it was from a bygone age). This is just one of their terrible decisions coming back to haunt them; a lovely fate but their fate none-the-less.

But in the end the inhabitants of Proxtrey got a second chance so there's no use worrying about it now. Just have to hope they learned their lesson the first time and don't grow up to become the next Borg.

The DSC/TOS-era had instances where captains stepped in and (more or less) discreetly interfered to preserve a society: Georgiou blasting open a well on a desert world to bring it water, the Enterprise attempting to deflect an asteroid from striking Miramanee's planet, and Kirk destroying Landru to free the people of Baal III. There was another instance where Kirk basically said "We're not supposed to interfere, but the damage is done, our noninterference would just make things worse," but I can't quite remember it. I think it was either "A Private Little War" or "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky."

I would have mentioned Picard's initial refusal of Sarjenka's correspondence with Data in "Pen Pals," but he eventually worked around it by willfully interpreting Sarjenka's messages as a distress signal, and Starfleet's duty-bound to respond to any and all distress signals. (I guess this is more of a "creative interpretation of the situation" on Picard's part vs. "I am willingly and on-purpose shooting an aquifer with a phaser rifle so these people can have water.")

I grew up with TNG, but I much prefer the TOS-style interpretation of the Prime Directive. The less said about "Dear Doctor" and "ARCHER: Some day my people are going to come up with a doctrine, something that tells us what we can and can't do out here-- should and shouldn't do. But until somebody tells me they've drafted that... directive... I'm going to have to remind myself every day that we didn't come out here to play God" the better.)

Snorb fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 7, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God, the Prime Directive gets abused to make ridiculous gotchas situations to prop up whatever issue the writer is mad about that week, or to force unnecessary conflict for cheap drama.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I like the TOS version better because it actually makes sense, as kind of an Anthropologist's Principle - watch it but don't mess with it and keep your assistance discreet - as opposed to TNG's version that seems to be designed just to heighten drama for an episode and everyone thinks is stupid to begin with.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

God, the Prime Directive gets abused to make ridiculous gotchas situations to prop up whatever issue the writer is mad about that week, or to force unnecessary conflict for cheap drama.
Yeah, the further down the series the more dogmatic it becomes.
In TOS there were cases that showed why the Prime Directive exists in the first place, but it also showed that when the alternative to possible cultural contamination is outright destruction, the only logical course is to interfere (though while still trying to minimize impact as much as possible).
In TNG it starts turning dogmatic, but the crew still breaks it in a couple of occasions. Also in The Drumhead we are told that Picard has various violations of it on record, but also that nothing ever came of it which means that Starfleet must have examined and recognized that all those instances were justified.
In Voyager it's where it turns into an absolute dogma: Thou Shall Not Break The Prime Directive. Why? Because I'm the captain and that's a direct order, that's why. (though at the same time, depending on the episode Janeway is capable of rationalizing everything when she wants to and will constantly switch between following rules to the letter and breaking them at the drop of a hat. :v: )
As for Enterprise, I'll just say that they've got to the point where scientific concepts such as evolution are treated like a god with its own plans.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I always liked that mission. It has the authentic TOS feel (right down to the eyerolling names for the ancient factions - "Sofvs" and "Lucrs", really? Really?) while obviously being written with a minimum of animation budget. And the Scythe Base has just the right tone for an abandoned missile facility mouldering away forgotten down the centuries.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

radintorov posted:

In Voyager it's where it turns into an absolute dogma: Thou Shall Not Break The Prime Directive. Why? Because I'm the captain and that's a direct order, that's why. (though at the same time, depending on the episode Janeway is capable of rationalizing everything when she wants to and will constantly switch between following rules to the letter and breaking them at the drop of a hat. :v: )

Voyager suffers from the writers never consistently nailing down the personalities of the main characters (so Janeway often comes off as an utterly psychotic hypocrite) and being too cowardly to fully commit to the premise.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this final episode, the USS Republic has been attacked and the crew investigate the mysterious circumstances surrounding it. The second and final part to this episode and LP will be uploaded this weekend, along with the last bonus video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final part of the main playthrough. Please forgive the lack of commentary during the final section of the game, after numerous retries I gave up trying to record a segue.

Bonus video - The last video of this LP: Part 5 - Death & Failure Scenes

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and suggestions throughout this LP. I've thoroughly enjoyed playing this again and being able to share the experience with you all. I will be starting Judgement Rites in a few days time.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Put the link here to thag lp! Thanks

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Congratulations on finishing this LP!
I remember that on the floppy disk version not only this episode lacks the whole Republic section after you first get to sickbay but also the final fight starts with the Elasi ships already on the field.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah the floppy version just has the Republic's bridge and sickbay. Getting the CD version as a teenager for the voice acting and suddenly discovering a whole new level blew my mind as a child.

The Republic blasting the crap out of that Elasi ship always makes me cheer at the screen.

EDIT: It's not pointed out, but one reason the final battle is so hard is that the Enterprise-2 has a plasma torpedo! Likewise one of the Elasi ships does not have phasers, but instead has three forward-firing photon torpedo launchers. This is why the key to winning is keeping your shields up for as long as possible to tank the torpedo hits.

EDIT 2: Interesting random fact. The floppy version actually had TWO different Starfleet Admirals, adding a male one with a beard, and swapped between them. The CD version presumably only wanted to record voice lines for the female one.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 11, 2019

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
That was a lot of fun RBD! Thanks for showing this game off. I remember watching my dad play this when it originally came out and the 25th anniversary edition was a great nostalgia trip. Looking forward to Judgement Rites.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
And that's 25th Anniversary! Looking forward to Judgement Rites and more potential Kirk-is-a-Jerk dialogue choices.

Speaking of "Kirk-is-a-Jerk" choices, I think the absolute worst overall score you can get for the game is 17%. By the look of it, you'd probably have to be as much of an rear end in a top hat to the Acolytes and the Nauians as possible, completely botch the Masada situation (beaming a bomb onto the bridge is always fun!), completely ignore the dying Romulans on Ark Seven and be a jerk to Centurion Preax, tell Harry Mudd "Get away from that computer, or I'll shoot you where you stand!", shoot him in the medbay, get Quetzecoatl killed and be as rude to Vlict as you can, and always shoot opponents to kill with your phaser instead of stunning them. Not sure where you can shave off points in "That Old Devil Moon" or "Vengeance," besides maybe insulting the Elasi captain and Bredell.

But, you know, that's some borderline-Mirror Universe bullshit.

(Also, you missed one death in "That Old Devil Moon." You can fire a phaser at one of the Scythe missile computers. The base fires its entire complement of nuclear missiles at the Enterprise.)

(EDIT: Not a death or a redshirt kill, but you can send Lieutenant Buchert to try and detain Harry Mudd while he's doped up on L'Shayain meds. Not surprisingly, it doesn't work.)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You can get an absurdly low score on Hijacked by simply setting the bomb off in the brig. Something like 2%, IIRC.

The animation for that is rather horrible and deeply upset me as a child, so I stopped going for evil alternatives after that.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

(Also, you missed one death in "That Old Devil Moon." You can fire a phaser at one of the Scythe missile computers. The base fires its entire complement of nuclear missiles at the Enterprise.)

drat, that's completely down to my oversight. Apparently the laughing gas should have affected Kirk and the redshirt too. Eventually leading to them collapsing. My game was definitely bugged as it kept coming up with error messages throughout McCoy's ramblings.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
My guess there is the game's trying to load dialogue files for Kirk and Lt. Finney, but either someone got the script references wrong or the dialogue just plain isn't in the game, so it pulls an error message instead.

No idea if that's responsible for "You know, some shore leave sounds... rather good right now" being subtitled "Sometimes I feel like I'm the captain of a starship nursery."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm pretty sure you can actually get a 0% on the Masada mission by hailing the ship repeatedly until every hostage is dead. You may also have to destroy the Elasi ship.

I'm going to go try this now.

Edit: If you keep hailing the Masada, they keep killing hostages until Starfleet hails you and says "we're taking you off this assignment to keep you from killing all the hostages." You don't even get a score, it just takes you to the next mission.

McNally fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 12, 2019

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

McNally posted:

I'm pretty sure you can actually get a 0% on the Masada mission by hailing the ship repeatedly until every hostage is dead. You may also have to destroy the Elasi ship.

Edit: If you keep hailing the Masada, they keep killing hostages until Starfleet hails you and says "we're taking you off this assignment to keep you from killing all the hostages." You don't even get a score, it just takes you to the next mission.

The admiral also reams you out if the Masada is destroyed; easiest way to do it is to beam the phaser bomb onto the bridge, but taunting Cereth has him shoot the helm controls before surrendering. You can hail the Enterprise to have Scotty and Uhura stabilize the ship's orbit, but at that point your mission rating's pretty boned anyway, so you might as well just disintegrate everyone on the bridge not wearing a Starfleet uniform!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

McNally posted:

I didn't even know that this was possible. How many hostages were there?

I'll be starting the Judgement Rites thread later this evening. I'll put the link in the new LP thread.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

In an alternate universe, Capitan Rikk just immediately offered the pirates his full and unconditional surrender.
His ingenious plan is to get enslaved, get close to the pirate lord, seduce him and then break his heart.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I didn't even know that this was possible. How many hostages were there?

I'll be starting the Judgement Rites thread later this evening. I'll put the link in the new LP thread.

I think there are like 17 of them, but the admiral yanks you from the mission after you kill like 3 or 4.

Edit: Wait no, that's just how many times I kept hailing after Cereth was all "I'll kill a hostage unless you come back with what I want to hear," he also killed a few while I was negotiating with him initially because he didn't like my smartass remarks. So maybe 5 or 6?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
New thread is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889436

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Thanks for doing this LP!

I know I played this when it came out, but everything past the first mission is a bit of a blur for me.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

I only ever get a 97% on Demon World. I have no idea what I'm not doing right. I've gotten 100% before and I have no idea why I'm not anymore.

Also, the internet will tell you that enemy ships won't be able to hit you if you fly in reverse. They're lying.

A bit late, but I guess I should add that (at least in the floppy version that was included in the Interplay 10 year anthology) the skull will respawn in the display case after giving it to the Nauian, so you can hand it over repeatedly until you reach 100%. That was the only way I could figure out to do it when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Seyser Koze posted:

A bit late, but I guess I should add that (at least in the floppy version that was included in the Interplay 10 year anthology) the skull will respawn in the display case after giving it to the Nauian, so you can hand it over repeatedly until you reach 100%. That was the only way I could figure out to do it when I was a kid.

I'll go back and check that.