Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think the 3 point line should be abolished, this is a completely objective take not at all influenced by my team having Rudy Gobert on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think I can probably start posting here

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

Out of curiosity, how did the Jazz end up being your team?

Iowa doesn't have one and they were good in NBA Jam

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can someone get me excited for the Grizzlies hiring Cho

He's not Chris Wallace

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Paul George made a mistake

Not when you remember how much he loves fishing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
PG defense doesn't really matter that much, I'd be more concerned that he didn't show super great playmaking instincts and the injury. Garland is a really really good ball handler and shooter though, I think he's like right on the border of the top 5 in this class.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I usually make it my policy to not know anything about HS players but I read the Athletic articles so this is going to be a rare year where all these dudes aren't a new thing when the college season starts. I don't know if that's productive or not.

For one and done guys I think it's helpful to have at least some sense of where they stand coming out of high school just because one season is still a pretty small sample. It can give you some sense of how real what you saw in college was. I remember Bradley Beal had a rep entering college as like an otherworldly shooter, but then had a pretty crappy year from three in his one college season. That high school rep gave some indication that the college season might have just been crappy luck, which wound up being true.

Pelton started including AAU stats in his projection system last year and said it improved it a lot. Most notably it showed Mitchell Robinson was an incredible shotblocker.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's pretty hard to see Middleton leaving

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Porzingis has made noise about taking the qualifying offer this summer but I don't think you really need to take it that seriously

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Athanatos posted:

If Monty Williams goes to Suns. Lue is 100% the Lakers coach.

Ugh, more childish anti-Laker shitposting.

It could also still be Jason Kidd.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

This is really not necessary.

I'm just teasing you man

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pat Bev makes a lot of sense in theory because he can shoot, plays D, and would be fine standing in a corner while LeBron dominates the ball, but they could really use another reliable shot creator. I guess Ingram could kinda be that but he's not really at the level they need him to be yet and ideally it'd be someone who also can space the floor.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 3, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I'm not sure why you'd can Luke Walton for Ty Lue, but if you were losing your locker room w/e. I don't think Ty Lue hurts a veteran team and in general players seemed to listen to him enough (despite tortilla soup throwing incidents).

His last locker room was toxic enough that his best player spent a solid month pouting until half of the team was finally traded, and his second best player demanded a trade going into the season, so are we sure this is true?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Steve Kerr and Greg Popvich are bad coaches too by this standard.

There are like two examples of this in however many years Pop has been coaching, and that's only if you really want to blame him for Stephen Jackson being crazy. Kerr has definitely had drama but not really anything that caused the team to totally fall apart the way the Cavs did for a big chunk of the regular season.

Anyway I don't think Lue is like an outright terrible coach or anything I just don't see what the evidence for him having a great handle on the locker room is.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Thibs had some trouble getting guys in MN to play D.....

Though Lou to be the front man & player's coach and let Thibs design the schemes is a really good combo.

Edit: Also, Thibs put together a really effective offense in MN despite not having particularly good shooters, which is something that might be valuable in LA. It wasn't pretty but it was efficient.

Are we sure his defensive schemes are actually good? It's hard to separate that from personnel but I think it could also be a case of his defense being so influential that teams have figured out ways to successfully counter it.

Regardless i think it's pretty unlikely that any coach is going to get LeBron to try all that hard on defense in the regular season (which to be clear I think is probably a reasonable approach for him given his career minutes). Lue couldn't do it in Cleveland so I don't know why he'd suddenly be able to now.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 8, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So is this gonna end with Jason Kidd just getting the head coaching job?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
How offended is Derek Fisher than he hasn't been able to somehow get himself into this discussion? At least he hit that one shot and is friends with knows Kobe in addition to being bad at coaching

E: I did not realize they already gave him the pity hire with the Sparks lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Feel like Kidd will wanna pick his assistants, too

The assistant they want is supposedly Jason Kidd so I feel like that solves itself

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

So much stuff is going to get leaked out of Boston this offseason

https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/1126328312274530304?s=21

Danny leaking a bunch of negative Kyrie stories to the Boston Media Defense Squad the second it becomes clear he's for sure leaving is going to be fun

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think the only interesting part was Clipper Darrell showing up to talk poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not like suicidal or anything but this game was really really bad for my mental state and I unironically need someone to help me feel like I'm going to be okay because I had a brutal day capped off by that steaming turd.

It's just a bunch of strangers throwing a ball at a hoop man. It's just for fun, don't let it wreck your mood. Tomorrow is another day, go kick it's rear end.

Plus Durant and Klay are gonna leave and y'all can go wreck them next year. Until then, root for Giannis, he's dope as hell.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 11, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure Paul is at the point in his career where he'd tell them to gently caress off and threaten to retire if they tried to trade him to Minnesota

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

xposting from N/V...

He's super pissed about something. Anyone speak Latvian?

https://twitter.com/TommySledge/status/1127631461610348545?s=19

https://twitter.com/GreggWGME/status/1127661701632077826?s=19

These Russians clearly do not understand the CBA, gotta send Dunc'd On to Seberia to straighten this out imo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm very confused by the Belein hire.

He's got a pretty good case for being the best coach in college basketball and is very good at player development, especially point guards, which is big for Cleveland. Maybe his offense won't translate (it's kinda slow and overly structured for the NBA, but then again so is Snyder's and that's been fine, and Belein at least tries to get the right kind of shots), but even that has gotten a lot closer to an NBA style offense the last few years then it was earlier in his career. The big downside is probably that he's really old, but that's probably also the only reason he'd consider leaving a great college job to take on a project like the Cavs.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 13, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Too 5 draft pick and he has to sneak into VIP. Oof.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/05/it-started-at-a-wedding-how-cleveland-cavaliers-came-to-hire-john-beilein-terry-pluto.html LOCAL NEWS HAS THE SCOOP

no press conference so no canned reasons why. Maybe he was just tired of recruiting and losing to Michigan State in important games

He's expressed a lot of frustration with recruiting and players leaving school early recently (a dumb thing to be mad about!). Think it's some combination of being sick of that and realizing that if he wanted to try the NBA he doesn't have a lot of time left to do it. He's been successful at almost literally every single other level of basketball in the US, his career path is wild.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 15, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

hifi posted:

That marquese chriss and b. knight for ryan anderson and deanthony melton trade is like stepping on dog doo and you slip and whack the back of your head on it as well.

Melton is the probably the best player in that trade long term, that was a pretty good deal for the Suns, I think

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Melton has a shot to be a decent backup point guard eventually

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Can I start with John Wick 3? I want to see Boban.

You can probably read the Wikipedia for the first two and be fine but also you should watch the first two because they whip rear end.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't think there's any plot to explain. In the first one he kills a bunch of guys because some gangsters kill his dog. Then in the second one we're whisked into a whimsical assassin world and he kills like 200 guys with close range pistol shots and so on. It's just like an over the top Thai action movie combined with the scenes people liked from the first matrix, without the subtext about discovering your true gender identity

There is a deep lore how dare you

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they stick Zion with RJ again the team deserves to be contracted.

The Lakers players may not be stars but they're at least real NBA rotation players. That's a lot more than you can say for any of the young Knicks guys except Robinson. I don't see how the difference between 3 and 4 in a draft that gets muddled after 2 and a couple Dallas picks that have a decent chance of winding up in the teens make up the difference there.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 17, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
What does Miami even have to trade?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

At the same time if James wants Ball gone, I feel like it happens

(I have no idea if he does or not)

Seemed like the issues were mostly on Ball's (or at least LaVar's) end, aside from LeBron wanting to just generally trade everyone for Davis.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Even before he got rid of Jim and Mitch when he was hired the first thing he did was do an interview where he talked about how he spoke to Ingram and asked him to focus on attacking the rim, and over the years he reinforced that he liked Ingram attacking the basket. It's funny because his teammates talk about Ingram being this great practice shooter but in game if he misses one three he stops taking them.

A big part of his appeal as a prospect was that he was a tall guy who could shoot threes too. He got a lot better at the other stuff than I would have expected him too but it's bizzare that he doesn't even want to attempt more.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm happy to have the whizzinator back in my life

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think whole article is supposed to be optimistic about his recovery but yeah that is a heck of a thing to just drop in the middle there. That whole family is cursed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Feel like that kinda clogs the paint too much to really be ideal, at least until Zion's jumper gets a little more reliable. Also can't imagine them wanting anything to do with Gordon given the history there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I feel like Capella does a pretty decent job of rotating out of the way of Harden's drives. I thought about the Gordon part and just figured he'd be a relatively easy flip or might even take a buyout . . . but also that's why I put two draft picks instead of one..

He just kinda hangs out in the dunker spot waiting for a lob if they overcommit to the Harden drive, and it's hard for anyone to help out because the spacing around it is so good. Don't think that works nearly as well with NO's roster. It makes sense defensively though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I hope they recreate The Oop Picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

get buckets

-Every opponent of that team