Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Give 3 points to any shot in the restricted area (basically, dunks and layups). Hasten the midrange game to the grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Every personal foul after 4 you have to spin a wheel with progressively worse odds of fouling you out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Dokmo likes him.

I dunno none of his moves are terrible, he seems to have twice ended up the fall guy for a team owner's whims.

Yeah, I think if ownership isn't willing to truly bottom out or see through a plan that is way more of a risk than Cho is. Cho also seems to know people and be able to be in the middle of things which is probably the right thing for the Grizz right now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The elusive single-(half-double) streak almost reached double digits!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

man i remember when Doughy Kevin Love was a meme

He did have a little weight on him in the earlier MN days, but it didn't really matter since he was sneaky-strong and plenty enough athletic.

People also complained right here on this board that he took too many 3s and that hurt his offensive rebounding numbers. Time is a flat circle.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I cannot believe Sebastian Telfair is only 33

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mavs should probably chill for another year and get another good draft pick/maybe take some fliers on guys. Bringing in veteran players right now seems not ideal. Luka is really good but he certainly still is on his growth curve and probably isn't ready to be the guy on a competitive team yet.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

do you think that type of season will convince Porzingis to re-sign?

I forgot that Zing was in a contract year. Well crap, I'd still want to test the waters with him to see that he can play and at a high level but if you think you're going to be giving a mini-max or near-mini-max to Zing anyway you probably need to shoot your wad this season regardless.

You don't want to be in a situation where right when one group of guys are starting to get good your other money players are falling off but I guess Dallas already cast that die.

Edit: Well, Porzingis is a RFA anyway, so you really don't need to convince him to sign. But this is probably the last season with significant cap space.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

Porzingis has made noise about taking the qualifying offer this summer but I don't think you really need to take it that seriously

That was just when he was with the Knicks though, right? He seemed happy to be in Dallas and I doubt he turns down guaranteed money because he wants to compete THIS season and not NEXT season. The cap situation to me seems a lot more significant.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Minnesota continuing it's odd habit of scooping up Houston's castoffs/2nd tier pieces.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kemba and Lonzo could play together, but I think Lonzo was signalling hard to get out of LA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

that’s extremely underwhelming but i guess they could’ve done worse

I'm not sure why you'd can Luke Walton for Ty Lue, but if you were losing your locker room w/e. I don't think Ty Lue hurts a veteran team and in general players seemed to listen to him enough (despite tortilla soup throwing incidents).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm sorta willing to give Ty a pass on the Kyrie thing as I think that had more to do with Lebron & Kyrie than anything else. I mostly gave Lue credit for getting short-timers integrated and bought in quick, but when you're basically guaranteed a Finals berth if you just do your basic job it's probably really easy to sell people on the scheme. Probably won't be the case in LA next year. Lebron is obviously lobbying for him to come back so at the very least that's a plus. I don't know what Lue will do that Walton couldn't though.

We need a control pot of tortilla soup around to make sure.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Pop also solved the LMA issue in a way almost no other coach would have been able to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Whatever it takes to get Lebron to play a tiny bit of D.

Thibs had some trouble getting guys in MN to play D.....

Though Lou to be the front man & player's coach and let Thibs design the schemes is a really good combo.

Edit: Also, Thibs put together a really effective offense in MN despite not having particularly good shooters, which is something that might be valuable in LA. It wasn't pretty but it was efficient.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 7, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

scuz posted:

Lengthier look at Rosas and his plans for the Wolves, featuring a paragraph on our favorite max-contract bust:
After reading the whole article, I felt a lot better, but then I remembered that this is the Minnesota Timberwolves so I'm hoping someone with a better basketball brain that I have can gimme a take.

I mean, it's right. Even if they cleared Wiggins completely off the books it doesn't get them anything in terms of cap room. Wiggins has ridiculous athleticism and tools. They can either try to turn it into something or not but it's not like they can go sign another max FA if they didn't have Wiggins this year. In a year or two a salary dump may make more sense when a Mini-Max won't look as big and he won't have as many years on the contract.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

One of Silver's unfinished vat clones look like he escaped and is sitting courtside in that pic.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

Is there any reason why a team with the Lakers' resources would actually care about this

Aside from money it's probably better to have a coach's contract end vs firing him from an optics point of view so a shorter contract at least gives you that. Honestly though, I think the Lakers are probably not working from a great plan at this point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Coaches don't have a union, because they're management, but they share one of two or three coach agents. I assume that agents just won't sign their clients to a deal under 3 years, because it makes them look disposable, which is bad for both sides. I assume the longer ones have stronger offset clauses. Go to NBATV to do analysis, don't get paid, get hired as an assistant in Toronto, don't get paid (after being fired)

Could be wrong. But it seems true

Yeah, I think you're right. I think people generally way underestimate the effect agents have on the Sport and with Coaches making what they do now it makes sense for them to psuedo-organize under the agents.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

cp3 for butler probably would’ve been a good trade a few months ago but that’s only with the benefit of hindsight

Would be a weird window for the 76ers. I don't think you're wrong but it shifts a "peak in 2 years" to "win right now" which might be tough.

Unless you meant trade with the Timberwolves and just wanted to punish Chris Paul.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Great to be here. Would love to have more than 1.75 good players next season.

Even if MPJ is a good rookie next season he won’t be “help a team push from the second round to the third” good.

I mean, they went 7 games in round 2, its not like they were outclassed or anything. Another year of roster continuity might be enough to make them better.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I was kinda hoping the Cavs would re-hire Blatt.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You're a 6'8 NBA starter (technically). You probably shouldn't run away after you've been handcuffed. I think they'll figure out who it was.

A decent lawyer will probably be able to get that reduced to a misdemeanor disorderly conduct. Though if he literally was still handcuffed when he ran off it might be worse.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1128043860473417728

Of course the Kings and Knicks are interested.

(I'd take a flier on him if you can get him for nothing)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Huh. I'd think Joerger would be the top candidate if they don't want mini-Flip anymore. Could just be due diligence though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

at that point why isn't it just 9 am on the 30th? If they are going to make it earlier it doesn't make sense to make everyone wait all day. (unless players/agents/team reps don't want to be up that early)

Because that's 6am West coast, and a bunch of players legitimately have shifted schedules because of the traveling they do. 6pm let's everyone be up and around and also works from a media reporting standpoint.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think you could absolutely play Jrue and Lonzo together in the backcourt, and it might be the best defensive backcourt in the league (for what that's worth). That may be the way to get the best out of Lonzo, really.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

I thought he did a pretty decent job.

Yeah, he did. I'd have liked to see how he would have done with Robco being alive this season, as the Wolves D looked decent with him while Thibs was around.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

scuz posted:

What's the deal with Mitch, anyway? He didn't have much of a chance to prove what he could do since all his minutes were garbage time well after we were out of the playoffs.

He's a 6'5" Power Forward. He's probably not an actual NBA player but probably is nice to have around to keep practices uptempo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Someone more objective tell me how excited I should be about Michael Porter Jr’s rookie year. Are there recent cases of draft picks missing their first seasons when they weren’t first overall picks?

Embiid, that worked out pretty well.

kingcobweb posted:

Am I crazy for thinking he has a good shot at first team rookie (because let’s be honest Zion is practically a lock for RoY)?

Let's maybe see if he can get through an NBA season first. He wasn't able to get through the combine-process without having to tap out, so first things first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bucks need to figure out how to keep Brook, throw some guys against the wall and see who sticks as rotation guy, and get another year of experience and roster continuity.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Wonder if they're regretting the Bledsoe extension after that series

They gotta spend whatever it takes to keep all three of Middleton/Brogdon/Lopez, right?

It's not deep pockets, they have no bird rights on Lopez. They either need to get creative or Lopez needs to take a pay cut next season.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

They picked up a ton of roleplayers who never got an off-season, you have to figure guys like Mirotic will gel much better next year (if they can keep him)

Yeah totally agree. If they can just roll the entire squad back I'd do that, but with Lopez they'll need some help to get him back (and I think he's really important).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Save those rookie checks my man.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, that Lakers article has layers.

quote:

Regarding Pelinka's fate, front-office staffers, coaching staff members and others close to the team point to the power and influence held by Linda Rambis. Her title within the Lakers is executive director of special projects, but Rambis, the wife of former Laker Kurt Rambis, is better known within and around the organization as perhaps Jeanie Buss' closest friend and confidant. And Linda Rambis, team staffers said, has long been an ardent supporter and ally of Pelinka for reasons some staffers said they don't fully understand. "Nobody gets it," one coaching staff member said.

In some circles around the NBA, Linda Rambis has been referred to as a "shadow owner" of the Lakers, a title that one front-office staffer said Rambis enjoys, noting: "She loves it," and that "she controls and manipulates Jeanie." Kurt Rambis -- a Lakers senior basketball adviser and close associate of Phil Jackson, the former Lakers coach and Jeanie Buss' ex-fiance -- sat in on the team's coaching meetings throughout the season, creating a sense of unease. Staffers had already suspected he would report back to Linda and thus Pelinka and Buss, but a Lakers spokesperson insisted Walton invited Kurt Rambis to those meetings.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel

Magic Johnson was absolutely right to leave and tweet automated box score synopsis.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It'd be really nice for those ~45 win teams to have some competitive games before getting bounced out of the first round.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

harperdc posted:

Bill Simmons finally got his memos through to Adam Silver.

The “cup” sounds like an interesting idea, but something big has to be on the line to make it worthwhile. I think I’d prefer 1-16 conference-free seeding over play-in games, though comparing with baseball it seems like something that will maintain attention and do big ratings.

Free seeding is a scheduling nightmare though. Everyone is complaining about the 9pm EST starts in the Finals, what if you have 6 of those in the first round? There could potentially be games overlapping each other because there wouldn't be a balance of East Coast/West Coast games. I think it would be more competitive, but it would hurt ratings and make games harder to watch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

i can’t imagine them getting fair value for capela unless they moved him for like ad or something

it’d be stupid to replace him with an inferior version just so they can have, like, paul george or something

You have a very, very high opinion of Capela. Not that this would happen, but you trade Capela for, like, Gorgui Dieng + PG13 every day of the week.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

there's no way they take it over even that half dead Cleveland team

Lebron would have averaged 40 a game but Houston would have smoked them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Speaking of MWP, he is training Kyle Kuzma for defense this summer which is a brand new work out guru but a potentially interesting one, like it's easier to teach defense than it is to teach what Hakeem and Kobe are doing.

Artest was an amazing defender, one of the smartest defenders I've ever watched. There's a ton players can learn from him.