Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

(Sound of an rear end ripping in the distance)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Some things Detroit could do to improve

Figure out a way to get Drummond back to handling the ball and passing from the elbow that Blake took away from him this year

Get a better back up center so that Drummond can play shorter minutes to deal with his constant fatigue

This is a good boom or bust all the way from 3-25 draft so they could find a good wing or surprising point guard

Re-sign Ish Smith if they can afford him

Shuffle through another set of cheap wings to see if anything comes of it

They might want to trade Jon Leueur since he'll be expiring and Casey doesn't like to play him.

Somehow not play Blake Griffin until the playoffs

sweet thursday posted:

Since 2008 apparently Detroit has lost 14 playoff games in a row?
How do you have that kind of cross generational pants-making GBS threads? How is Detroit always Detroit regardless of the sport? So many questions and a lot more shame
Detroit was a proud and noble franchise that fell apart as its owner, the beloved bill davidson, got ill and had to turn over control to his family, and when they sold the team it was a disaster with some of the best scouts and training people in the league fired at once. The only hope is that the new GM and his lackeys can find some stars in the mid first round or make some genius trade

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 23, 2019

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vinestalk posted:

Yeah, re-signing Ish is a good priority. If they can find a way to get rid of Leuer, it'd be a miracle, but every other team with cap space this year is going to go for any number of worthwhile free agents available.

Get young guys that play with effort. That's the kind of team Casey can do something with.

I agree that Drummond needs to get back to that high post, elbow passing game. They were doing it against Milwaukee during the series a little bit, but their defense did a great job cutting off passing lanes and following everyone making cuts. In those instances, Drummond has to be able to shoot from the elbow.
Miscellany:

Michael kidd Gilchrist is a free agent this summer, and so is marcus morris, josh jackson is available for trade, I wouldn't mind detroit adding a hard nosed wing with whatever MLE dollars they have after paying Ish (which seems incredibly likely.)

I keep seeing "trade Reggie" stuff but until the day before the trade deadline when teams are in need of big expiring deals, I don't see him moving.

Kawhi Leonard proably won't sign with detroit.

Other team stuff:
I wonder if Harrison Barnes will make less next year than this year

Deandre Jordan is destined to be the very small third of the knicks big three of Kevin Durant, kyrie and himself.

There's probably a zero percent chance that bucks don't re-sign Middleton

Tomas Satoransky would be a good 6th/7th man for a lot of teams but Ithink washington wants to keep him.

The fact that this draft is so murky is very enticing to me. The middle of the pack teams seem as likely to find a guy as the teams not picking Zion and maybe Morant. (Just realized he has the same last name as the man from game of thrones)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Bassy Telfair could get 15 years for the gun charge he got in 2017 :(

Ex-NBA star Sebastian Telfair has been convicted of possessing a firearm … and could be sentenced to 15 years in prison. Telfair — a 33-year-old former high school phenom who spent 12 seasons in the NBA — was busted back in June 2017 in Brooklyn …. after cops found several weapons during a traffic stop.

Blake Griffin survived an arthroscopic surgery

James Edwards III: #Pistons’ Blake Griffin underwent a successful arthroscopic procedure today, the team announced. He’s not expected to miss any planned offseason training.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I cannot believe Sebastian Telfair is only 33

Hewould have had a nice career had he not ended up in new york. if he was in seattle or arizona, totally different career. Coney island had him deep, in deep.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
oats

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 27, 2019

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Tetradugenica/status/1120522206679830528

Only lazily reposting the tweet for image hosting reasons

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Welcome to the Clippers fans. The underdog story was interesting but the talent top to bottom this is somewhere on the top ten list of 8 seeds, no shame in losing to a Warriors team that tried a lot harder to win than the memes are saying.

The funny thing about this clippers team is that it almost had the same spirit as those underdog neil ohshley vinny del negro teams that won before cp3 and blake got there, but even more so. It reminds me of some of my favorite teams of all time, just a bunch of pretty good to good players playing as hard as they can and sacrificing everything for each other. Really fun.

I don't think Pop's going to retire on a first round loss

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

the best basketball team of all time is the bulls team when nate robinson defeated the brooklyn nets

I believe I lived in Tulsa at the time and my tv at the time was a hand me down Thick thick thick small lcd on a 30 year old wood and wicker wheeled cart and I watched every single second. I hope n. cornelius robinson is still making magic with the homenetmen beirut ball club. Their nickname is "orange juice"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Boredumb posted:

He was waived in September iirc for failing his medical test

I'm burning wikipedia servers down for making me look foolish online

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

il serpente cosmico posted:

The FGC definitely has a macho element to it, but it's always been diverse and welcoming compared to most other game scenes

It has improved quite a bit, and many communities have much better moderation and reporting tools. If you say racist or homophobic poo poo in Rainbow 6 Siege, you get banned, for instance. There are still lovely people, but that stuff is no longer accepted as the norm. There is a lot more pressure on devs to put tools in place to prevent that stuff.

It's kind of like good old fashioned 2007 fyad game griefing, figuring out some really fun way to gently caress with people in the spirit of causing trouble (stop hitting yourself stop hitting yourself) vs the 4chan style where you make your guy a sambo figure and just write racial slurs and draw swastikas with bullet holes and so on.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Monty has been through enough.

I know Kemba looks like a consolation prize but I think if the Lakers can hit the AD trade and also sign Kemba, they're right back in the mix. Lonzo could throw lobs to CHEICK DIALLO in Norleans. I would guess a Kemba signing would be a signal that more extreme things haven't worked.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 2, 2019

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
This is the summer the morris brothers' terrible discount contracts are up. It looks like Marcus should make good money and Markieff might not make it back to the league

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bulls actually have some legit talented young dudes (plus a top-5 pick this season) and boylen is going to loving ruin all of them

Boylen seems to be serving a derek fisher esque "this guy sucks but he kind of connects with the guys so let's pretend he's seriously an NBA coach while we tank" sort of hire. But the Bulls work in mysterious ways and make money no matter what. I think that's the main thing. If all the dumb garpax poo poo meant they were losing money on the balance sheet, not the fake NBA balance sheet but the real one, things would change.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Grunfeld sounds like the nicest dude on Earth, and he must be considering how long he got to do the job that being nice usually gets taken advantage of.

It is weird though that didn't attract free agents, even if the team is bad it seems chill.

The story about Andray Blatche having to be forced to lift weights is fantastic. I feel like there'd be so many fewer "what-ifs" if we got this kind of truth telling regularly

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

It's not exactly rare either, though. The last few hires:

Monty Williams - five years
Luke Walton - four years
Jim Boylen - undisclosed but reportedly "likely" three years
Nick Nurse - three years
Dwayne Casey - five years
Steve Clifford - four years
Mike Budenholzer - four years
Lloyd Pierce - four years
James Borrego - four years
David Fizdale - four years
Mike D'Antoni - four years
Nate McMillan - three years
Scott Brooks - five years

I'm sure salary and options play a part in the contract length, but holding fast on three years for an experienced coach still seems unusual

Coaches don't have a union, because they're management, but they share one of two or three coach agents. I assume that agents just won't sign their clients to a deal under 3 years, because it makes them look disposable, which is bad for both sides. I assume the longer ones have stronger offset clauses. Go to NBATV to do analysis, don't get paid, get hired as an assistant in Toronto, don't get paid (after being fired)

Could be wrong. But it seems true

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chilihead posted:

I too would be insulted if someone offered me a job so rare there are only 30 total in the whole world.
Thanks for blowing that 3-1 lead Golden State!

I didn't even realize that when you're just a very low double digit millionaire you still have" go gently caress yourself I don't want to beg Lebron to play defense and watch as he rolls his eyes and sticks his tongue out like he's exhausted when I'm trying a different lineup of young guys" money

But he does have a ring, so that gives him extra prestige

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

HGH has really given him an incredibly stupid looking head. And he was born looking stupid. I need to get on HGH and just make my body strange

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I mean, they went 7 games in round 2, its not like they were outclassed or anything. Another year of roster continuity might be enough to make them better.

If Jimmy Butler spent the summer working on running pnr and his 3p shooting, he could make a Harden-esque transformation from 2 to 1 and give them a clear first option for running offense in the half court. Ben Simmons gets the ball whenever there's a chance to run, maybe spends the summer working on his ft shooting. I feel like they could do something

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Stevie Lee posted:

re-sign butler, re-sign Harris, re-sign Scott

Remember how important he was to the 4 all-star hawks in the playoffs? He's got a very valuable game when these things get tight and you need all the mental toughness you can get

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The B_36 posted:

What is wrong with Booker's forehead? How does he get instagram models lining up when he's got a crease in his head like that?

He is strikingly ugly if you get him from a bad angle. Looks like Sauruman's special uruk-hai. Hmm
White hand
Logos
Teams
Kawhi Leonard is going to Phoenix?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He's got a pretty good case for being the best coach in college basketball and is very good at player development, especially point guards, which is big for Cleveland. Maybe his offense won't translate (it's kinda slow and overly structured for the NBA, but then again so is Snyder's and that's been fine, and Belein at least tries to get the right kind of shots), but even that has gotten a lot closer to an NBA style offense the last few years then it was earlier in his career. The big downside is probably that he's really old, but that's probably also the only reason he'd consider leaving a great college job to take on a project like the Cavs.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/05/it-started-at-a-wedding-how-cleveland-cavaliers-came-to-hire-john-beilein-terry-pluto.html LOCAL NEWS HAS THE SCOOP

no press conference so no canned reasons why. Maybe he was just tired of recruiting and losing to Michigan State in important games

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Declan MacManus posted:

the last five drafts they’ve picked in the first round:
-alex len
-nemanja nedovic
-tj warren
-tyler ennis
-bogdan son of bogdan
-devin booker (hey good job)
-dragan bender
-georgy papajohn’s
-skal labissiere
-josh jackson
-deandre ayton (looks like a hey good job but too soon to tell)
-technically zhaire smith

one that’s a shitload of first round picks wow but two maybe three of those guys are quality nba starters; you just gotta keep giving the suns high picks and hope they work out
Why are half of these kings guys? Did they have a big trade that i'm forgetting?

Len was in a bad draft and I think just discussed as a guy who might be a starter someday. I'd call it a fair bust
Nedovic wasn't supposed to do anything and didn't
TJ Warren was an old school bucket getter fat boy sf and he's lived up to that
bogdan bogdan bogdan has been great for sacto
dragan is just too slow to do the stuff he did to impress scouts in europe, huge bust
papajohn was a sleeper guy according to dokmo based on his pnr play in europe, bust
skal of course was the top guy in the country until we figured out he had no bball iq whatsoever. Maybe he'll be good in 5 years, he's shown some flashes. Very skilled for his size

josh jackson, a gamble worth taking and probably be much better on a better team
ayton - totally fine so far

I'm not trying to contradict you, just reviewing them all in my mental card catalog. Lottery picks are not a surefire route back to prominence if your front office sucks or your owner is an idiot or both

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

hifi posted:

Tj warren is badass and if he was in new york they'd be talking about how he's one of the greatest pure scorers, kids on the street ball courts would be imitating his vacant thousand mile stare, and all the while snarky sports bloggers on twitter would mention how he was never actually in the top five at any given year. Oh yeah and he shot 42.8% from 3 this year

I love him man. He's such a reliable bucket man. He'd be a great addition for the warriors if they had any way of improving their team in the slightest.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Skal reminds me a lot of a softer lower bball iq Yi Jianlian

He could really be a special player if he could ever learn to play at game speed. If Bruno can do it after 4 years maybe he can too.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I think Melton has a shot to be a decent backup point guard eventually

Melton is almost a domestic draft and stash player, they give him a rookie contract and then a probably dirt cheap second contract to learn how to shoot, how to do anything with his left hand, and you'll have a tough defending, very athletic, high bball iq combo guard who can just kill teams in transition and hopefully will be solid in the half court.

Right now he's a transition and defense only player.

But I really like his long term potential if he has any desire to improve and the team puts him in the right place to do that. He shot 70% on fts in college so his jumper isn't doomed.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Can I start with John Wick 3? I want to see Boban.

I don't think there's any plot to explain. In the first one he kills a bunch of guys because some gangsters kill his dog. Then in the second one we're whisked into a whimsical assassin world and he kills like 200 guys with close range pistol shots and so on. It's just like an over the top Thai action movie combined with the scenes people liked from the first matrix, without the subtext about discovering your true gender identity

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

The funny thing is that this is pretty much what the story is too; I mean I normally wouldn't click a Kurt Helin article because he misses on his rumors so often, but I wanted to see what he sourced and it just turns out that the article title was just major clickbait.

---

At this point we are in full Dwight territory where I don't care anymore, I just want something to happen so this is over. And I'm skeptical about an AD/Lebron pairing. They have pretty compatible games for sure, but I don't trust Vogel/Kidd to be imaginative enough to leverage that production to make up for the fact that the Lakers don't have much shooting.

I understand your concern about Kidd Vogel the new drag star coach of the LA Lakemen. Lebron thrived with an elite garbage man in Chris Bosh. This time there may not be a second guard to take usage away. It seems like everyone who isn't a role player or a just a great complimentary player doesn't fit with Lebron because he's so ball dominant and bitchy about playing a style he prefers, but Anthony Davis seems like he needs to go outside himself a bit to be the game crushing guy he can be, so it makes sense that he'd be okay being the second man to Lebron, with the intention of replacing him or moving on if it doesn't work.

I would guess that Ingram would want to leave if there's a Davis trade as it has the possibility to really depress his production. Lonzo might stick around, because we're seeing that he's really a complimentary player and not a star in the making, and NO might really like the idea of having Jrue and Zion together.

I will stop writing before I wander deeper into the mists of the abstract.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kingcobweb posted:

Someone more objective tell me how excited I should be about Michael Porter Jr’s rookie year. Are there recent cases of draft picks missing their first seasons when they weren’t first overall picks? Am I crazy for thinking he has a good shot at first team rookie (because let’s be honest Zion is practically a lock for RoY)?

Red shirting seems to be great for players. He would have been a top 4ish pick in a very good Drafff. He gets buckets. He is very tall. He could average 15 points next year. They're so small on the wing that he should get a lot of playing time. They saw how much trouble an exclusively small wing rotation has in the postseason. We see something similar with Toronto's bench. These small guys just can't do as much when the game is more intense and physical.

They have every reason to play him, because they know they're good, and they need to get what they can out of him while he's still cost controlled (don't ban me for using economo jargon about an NBA player, I'm sorry).

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

scuz posted:

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1131053519480344577

All those contracts were expiring and the only person they retained is the guy that KAT has been working with one-on-one

:unsmigghh: let's goooooo

I'd like to get to know Dice Yoshimoto. He sounds like a real been around the world type of guy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

Wow Jordan Crawford and Rod Strickland are mad the league no longer gives infinite leash to undersized 2 guards who do nothing but isolate into a 15 foot jumper

I think that this thinking is illustrative of other player thinking! think melo all star votes. Having a set of moves is skill. playing winning basketball, anybody can do that

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I sympathize with them, to me the things that Rod Strickland/Crawford are doing just are more impressive to me and probably always will be.
We need a new And1 Mixtape tour so that these men are not forgotten amid the Jaylens and Jadens with 7 foot wingspans and no ability to turn over either shoulder

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

https://twitter.com/TheLakersReview/status/1133915874270695425

My suspicion that Frank Vogel is not actually a good defensive coach has its first bit of evidence early.

Is translating this to "Lebron does not ever want to switch onto bigs or small fast guards" going too far?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
A very Morey tactic to squeeze the last chance they have before Chris Paul's contract really strangles them would be to sit Paul for the first 40 games next year. Seems to have about 60 games and no more in him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

It’s tough because as a player and as a person you really couldn’t ask for anything more. He’s worked hard to turn himself into a top-20 player, he seems humble and he’s a lot of fun to watch. Charlotte’s just going to be incredibly boned cap-wise for the rest of his prime, have a poo poo team around him and are probably going to be paying him $40M a year well into his decline

Like this summer to stay out of the tax they’re probably going to let Jeremy Lamb (their second-best player) walk, decline Tony Parker’s option, and still need to attach a pick or two to trade away Marvin Williams, MKG or Biyombo. They have Batum left for two years, who quit on the team so dramatically that he had a 4.4% usage rate in March.

They might be OK if they can talk Kemba into punting on next season, play him and the young guys, and revamp once some of these bad contracts start coming off the books. Instead I’m they’re probably going to trade a bunch of picks for like Hassan Whiteside and gently caress themselves up even more.

Look at the sunny side, the lottery changes mean charlotte has much higher chances at top prospects as a fringe east playoff team. And now they have a GM with a history of finding good players throughout the draft

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Boston needs a cult deprogrammer to take the subliminal mamba imagery out of Jayson Taytum's head. Andre Igoudala is a Christian man...

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The word from the same sort of people who said Lebron to LA, last year, was Kyrie and KD to the Knicks. Maybe Kyrie changed his mind and that's the reason for the hermetic brotherhood stuff? He's in a hermetic brotherhood with his former Cleveland teammate, Joe Harris? Or KD to Brooklyn. It's all a mysterion

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Prince fits with brooklyn well, as a big wing who's okay at most things but not very good in general. Atlanta gets a shooter and a pick, Brooklyn gets Kyrie and Durant, or something of that nature. Not a bad trade for either side. Feel free to quote this when the Hawks draft PJ Washington and he becomes a star

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVD-41RftZc I didn't see this video as part of the Kyrie to the nets news yesterday.

Stephen A. seems to be carrying Kyrie's water here, saying he's leaving the Celtics because Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge wanted Gordan Hayward to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If I was AD I would make David Griffin wander ethiopia, eating no food, and only drinking sulfurous and dark water from old wells. Then I'd consider his case for staying