Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
So much stuff is going to get leaked out of Boston this offseason

https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/1126328312274530304?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

sometimes i wonder if boston media has to be fed the stories or if they’re just circling the upcoming FAs like sharks

then again kyrie did himself basically 0 favors all season long so who knows

Bontemps is a national guy, that article mostly just recaps the stuff Kyrie caught poo poo for all year. The real dirt is going to come from like the Globe or some dumbass radio guy

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is there any reason why a team with the Lakers' resources would actually care about this

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

You say this like five year contracts are common for coaches but they aren't. It's usually 3 years or 4 years for a coach that is in high enough demand that they can demand something extra. And that 4th year is actually a team option half the time. Like BMV said, college coaches often get a 5 year offer to lure them over but even that is rarer these days.

It's not exactly rare either, though. The last few hires:

Monty Williams - five years
Luke Walton - four years
Jim Boylen - undisclosed but reportedly "likely" three years
Nick Nurse - three years
Dwayne Casey - five years
Steve Clifford - four years
Mike Budenholzer - four years
Lloyd Pierce - four years
James Borrego - four years
David Fizdale - four years
Mike D'Antoni - four years
Nate McMillan - three years
Scott Brooks - five years

I'm sure salary and options play a part in the contract length, but holding fast on three years for an experienced coach still seems unusual

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I really appreciate Houston going all-in to compete over the last few years even if things didn’t work out

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

If I remember the Sun-Times was bullshit but the Lonzo Wire (lol it still exists somehow) picked up a story from there saying that the Bulls may be offering the 6 (if they fall) for Lonzo.

Might be worth doing that if Kemba is the realistic target.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/05/13/lonzo-ball-news-la-lakers-chicago-bulls-trade-2019-nba-draft/

I dunno — assuming he ever starts hitting the three consistently, Lonzo seems like the kind of guard you'd ideally want to put next to Kemba

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

What does Miami even have to trade?

Justise Winslow I guess

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Metapod posted:

I'm increasingly getting excited for which new all defense no offense player presti will add and who is going to pay noel too much money

MKG could theoretically opt out

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

When is Paul not yelling at teammates

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

One of the Hornets’ two beat writers is reporting that Kemba “wants to re-sign with the Hornets and the feeling is still mutual, according to league sources.”

This is going to go so poorly

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I can't remember if this guy is full of poo poo or not but it's a slow day

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/1134100823045300226?s=20

I'd 100% turn the no. 12 pick and like Marvin Williams into Capela. Gordon less so

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

gently caress

quote:

“Oh no question, Charlotte’s definitely my first priority,” he said. “That’s where I’ve been for eight years and that’s all I know. Not many people get a chance to play for one NBA team throughout their career. When I go on my Instagram, I see, ‘Kemba leave! Kemba get out of Charlotte!’ People don’t understand, when they say you need to go ‘here’ and win, that winning is not guaranteed anywhere.”

Walker doesn’t seem too concerned with playing for a big market. He doesn’t like using social media because he doesn’t “need people to know what I’m doing all the time,” and says, “I could care less about my brand.” He’s heard the reports that teams like New York and Dallas may be lining up to make a max offer, and he’s heard even more speculation that a return to his hometown plays to his heart. But he cherishes how his career and relationship with his new home have flourished.

“Charlotte is my home, man,” Walker said. “I’ve been there for eight years and it’s been the most amazing eight years of my life. My family, they love it. The fans love me. The organization has been great and gave me my opportunity.”

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I’m sure that’s genuine but it’s also just smart negotiating. Pressure is on Charlotte now to pony up

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

I like Kemba a lot, people throw him around as somone to be disappointed signing but there's a lot worse out there. But yeah the supermax is a lot of money. Although I guess at least Charlotte might end up with one of the better supermax players?

It’s tough because as a player and as a person you really couldn’t ask for anything more. He’s worked hard to turn himself into a top-20 player, he seems humble and he’s a lot of fun to watch. Charlotte’s just going to be incredibly boned cap-wise for the rest of his prime, have a poo poo team around him and are probably going to be paying him $40M a year well into his decline

Like this summer to stay out of the tax they’re probably going to let Jeremy Lamb (their second-best player) walk, decline Tony Parker’s option, and still need to attach a pick or two to trade away Marvin Williams, MKG or Biyombo. They have Batum left for two years, who quit on the team so dramatically that he had a 4.4% usage rate in March.

They might be OK if they can talk Kemba into punting on next season, play him and the young guys, and revamp once some of these bad contracts start coming off the books. Instead I’m they’re probably going to trade a bunch of picks for like Hassan Whiteside and gently caress themselves up even more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

Look at the sunny side, the lottery changes mean charlotte has much higher chances at top prospects as a fringe east playoff team. And now they have a GM with a history of finding good players throughout the draft

I want to believe in Mitch but this summer will really be a challenge. On the bright side they still have this cornball for 48 games a season

https://twitter.com/codyzeller/status/1134950572791074820?s=21

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

even though this is a weak draft, two firsts is a bit much for a 30 year old blake griffin who will be pretty far out of his prime by the time they’re ready to contend

also that collins/griffin frontcourt would be v bad defensively

I’d take that in a heartbeat but more than maybe any other team I never really feel like I know what Detroit is doing

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Everything about this is great, especially since it was apparently televised by ESPN 5

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A Love for Batum + 12 swap would probably work on paper but the Hornets would be making things even harder on themselves capwise

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That Kyrie post reads like had a mental break

I know Lebron plays his best when he has a PG who can shoot, but is Kemba the type of guard who needs the ball in his hands at all times?

(I don't necessarily think he signs at home, despite his statement)

He's almost always played that way, but mostly out of necessity. He's a really good catch-and-shoot guy (40+% from three most years, 46.4% in 16-17), stays engaged when he doesn't have the ball, and he's just a great and smart teammate that I don't think would have any trouble adjusting to playing with a guy like LeBron.

He's a willing passer but not a great one, and can get tunnel vision especially in late-game situations. Again, though, he's never actually had a No. 2 he could actually trust to hit those shots.

I think L.A. is genuinely the best fit for him out there, he can basically give you 95% of what Kyrie did in Cleveland and desperately wants to win more than anything else

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

iospace posted:

How many athletes will ever have a comparable career to him, at least in longevity.

Hockey has a fair amount of dudes like Messier

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I guess they’re just trying to reset the narrative if they feel like they aren’t going to get him? Or something?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

There should be an mpg minimum to use this emoji https://twitter.com/bismackbiyombo/status/1136450107509895168?s=21

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Man the cost of dumping salary is creeping back up

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Highlights:

quote:

Griffin is pursuing a combination of assets that include an All-Star player, a young player with All-Star potential and two first-round picks, league sources said. Those wants are on a sliding scale. For example, the better the player, the softer the asks on the draft picks -- and vice versa.

quote:

So far, Los Angeles and New York teams --- the Clippers and Lakers, Knicks and Nets -- have been among front offices inquiring with New Orleans, league sources said.

The Boston Celtics have long considered a run at Davis too, but they must take into consideration the future of free agent Kyrie Irving before committing to a significant offer of assets to New Orleans.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1138471748570157057?s=20

I actually forgot the Grizz were looking for a coach

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This dude is the king of posting a million random bullshit tweets and then throwing himself a parade when he gets something close to right

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/NickCarboniWCNC/status/1139187865794097153?s=19

Kemba's agent needs to lock him in a room for his own good.

I still think they should let him walk but a full five-year regular max is the best Charlotte is going to do and would probably genuinely get him the most money he's going to get

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not really surprising at all but when Boston media is reporting on something I assume it's coming from the Celtics, even when they go out of their way to say their source is NOT THE CELTICS

https://twitter.com/SteveBHoop/status/1139288332914110464?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

gil’s best teammates were antawn jamison and caron butler

And a few randomly good Larry Hughes years