Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This is a thread where you can post about your team that did not make the playoffs, has been eliminated from the playoffs, or about fishing, or fish. This thread exists because news about eliminated teams often gets lost in the main thread due to playoff team discussion, which, probably is how it should be.

If I get ahold of TNT Gone Fishin' pics I will post them in the OP.

A request: I'm not a mod so I can't enforce this but I would like if people post twitter links they post some actual thoughts about it, and also the people who post after a game one loss "can I post in this thread now????" please don't.

E: Bonus image from a mystery contributor

E: Also thanks to Athanatos for finding all these fishing images, along with this gem:

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

Hi, the Lakers are gonna hire a bad coach and continue to be rudderless as they waste the remainder of LeBron's prime while throwing away young talented players in poorly planned trades

Probably.

I guess I could talk myself into Monty and I've been calling Lue underrated here for for like three years but I'm not so hot on other options. Well I'd like Messina but I don't hear any rumors connecting him at this point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah I can't think off anything to counter that Nick but you're a great person.

Mike Conley just refused to tank.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Some Suns fans are talking themselves into the James Jones permanent hire. I don't buy it personally. We need to be a top 3 pick in the draft because nobody in their right loving mind is coming to phoenix, no matter how good Devin played or how many ladies he got pregnant off the insta.

For what it's worth Phoenix usually gets at least a meeting with a good free agent every offseason, the weather and Mill Ave are amazing selling points. Maybe James is a good enough dude to finally get one to sign. But yeah ideally that's a job that takes a lot of experience and a commitment to establishing a strong culture from scouting down.

I dunno, this inspired me to read a bunch of articles about whether or not Danny Ferry is actually racist and it seems like the answer is "maybe not" so I guess he's the guy they should probably hire.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Lakers sources I'd consider good are in disagreement as to if the Lakers are going to go after a team president or not. Going big and going after Bob Meyers, I dunno, seems a bit unrealistic and I'm not sure why he'd have a reason to move but I guess it makes sense to try. I like the idea of going after West of course if possible. Either thing isn't going to be doable until June, though.

For some reason whenever the Lakers have a patient coaching search the media absolutely freaks out but I wish they would wait until they settle the president issue, if they're going to settle it.

The Glumslinger posted:

I guess the weather is a plus since they can just leave town during the worst parts of the year

Yeah the regular season completely dodges the hot parts of the year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
At first my brain thought he was saying that 2pac style and that Boylen was going to get "BULLS" tatted on his chest above an Ak-47

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I don't know what the Clippers guy is doing but learning from Jerry West can't be bad. And the Rockets guy is really respected.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I absolutely agree about threes being too important. It just isn't as fun to watch people shoot a shot so many times that they miss 60% or more of the time.

It's the sort of thing that I don't know how they get back in the box though.

Like maybe if they did something crazy like ban defenders from the paint, it would push people towards attacking the basket more. Also could lead to cool dunks. But also could lead to very slow games due to defenses violating this all the time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think Davis staying in NO is really for the best.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The good news about having a take for more than ten years is I can claim consistency over the Lakers being one of the better three point shooting teams in the league and one of the worst.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This is really great, I can't think of anyone else ever doing this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can someone get me excited for the Grizzlies hiring Cho

Dokmo likes him.

I dunno none of his moves are terrible, he seems to have twice ended up the fall guy for a team owner's whims.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lol the poor intern that had to spend time playing around on Bball ref to get a positive combination of rebounds and streak.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Pacer fans. You did not deserve to be the only swept team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Beautiful.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Piston Fans. Your team played hard and snatched a playoff spot from teams that had penciled in being there, and the Pistons played hard in the games against the Bucks even though it didn't matter but was still cool to watch.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I guess they're trying to hire Monty Williams.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Kenny lookin' strong

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Thunder fans. I wonder what a healthy Paul George would have meant for you.

Welcome Nets fan. Respectful season, the future is bright.

Magic fans, your team won the second most games in the last quarter of the season. I am sorry that Kawhi is immune from the brain problems that normally afflict the Raptors.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don’t know why I laughed so much at that mattress but I absolutely did.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Jazz fans. Bad matchup.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Did you add that Stockton?!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I usually make it my policy to not know anything about HS players but I read the Athletic articles so this is going to be a rare year where all these dudes aren't a new thing when the college season starts. I don't know if that's productive or not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

How are people this awful/stupid??

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome to the Clippers fans. The underdog story was interesting but the talent top to bottom this is somewhere on the top ten list of 8 seeds, no shame in losing to a Warriors team that tried a lot harder to win than the memes are saying.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Spurs. I think this team will be interesting next year adding Murray back to the team and maybe Lonnie Walker being okay.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I enjoy the fact they include Miss San Antonio as couterprograming to Chuck's take on the place . . . . although I have no idea which version is true.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm going to apply when the job shows up on Indeed and just offer to crowdsource medical advice from this forum and webmd.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Ugh, more childish anti-Laker shitposting.

It could also still be Jason Kidd.

This is really not necessary.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

If the Lakers want a point guard, I’d be down for a trade

I would love that one.

To me the nightmare scenario is a Chris Paul for-young-player(s) trade but I am hoping with Earv gone that is not in the cards.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The spacing part is key, because Ingram was the 11th best iso player in the league but defenses are also aware of the fact that he basically will only take threes until he misses one and then stops, so defenses dont' guard him particularly close without the ball.

Patrick Beverly would be a pretty nice fit, but I half think he would probably take less money to stay with the Clippers because he seems like he's found a nice home there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

His last locker room was toxic enough that his best player spent a solid month pouting until half of the team was finally traded, and his second best player demanded a trade going into the season, so are we sure this is true?

Steve Kerr and Greg Popvich are bad coaches too by this standard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Stephen Jackson's not the only example of Pop losing the locker room. LMA's first year, the mess around Kawhi and not to mention that all of those dudes hated him when he was GM and pretty much ignored him when he took over as coach. Obviously it's easy to blame the involved players, because all the examples are locker rooms with guys who are notorious, but I think that's illustrative of my point, which is that coaches only have so much control over what type of culture the locker room has. If anything this is a GM thing more than anything.

I mean I can name four guys and a reality TV show notorious for being locker room problems with that Cavs team that year.

Don't get me wrong, the Lakers are going to have locker room problems this year because Javale and Rondo are likely to come back but I think Cool Older Brother Ty Lue (or Cool Uncle Who's Religious But Not a Dick About It Monty Williams had they gone that direction) have as better chance of reaching people than Cankerous Preacher Mark Jackson or Bully Brother Jason Kidd.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

oof. nothing that noone really didn't already expect, but still...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.814dbfab4d82

Grunfeld sounds like the nicest dude on Earth, and he must be considering how long he got to do the job that being nice usually gets taken advantage of.

It is weird though that didn't attract free agents, even if the team is bad it seems chill.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Whatever it takes to get Lebron to play a tiny bit of D.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Maybe if he was an assistant coach he'd learn something other than Byron Scott's Exact Basketball System.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Talk Radio Lakers fans deserve this for UCLA Posting about all of Walton's coaching staff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Are we sure his defensive schemes are actually good? It's hard to separate that from personnel but I think it could also be a case of his defense being so influential that teams have figured out ways to successfully counter it.

Regardless i think it's pretty unlikely that any coach is going to get LeBron to try all that hard on defense in the regular season (which to be clear I think is probably a reasonable approach for him given his career minutes). Lue couldn't do it in Cleveland so I don't know why he'd suddenly be able to now.

I'm fine with him not selling out on defense constantly but he can't be a tick above 2016 James Harden like he was the second half of the season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
If you're just going to post twitter links can you do it in the other thread please???? Please??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Welcome Boston Celtics fans. I don't fully understand what went wrong, probably a lot of things, but the Celtics have the tools to reload and try something different.