Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

The manager saw me outside, I showed him my problem, he walked me around the store grabbing exactly what I needed, gave me the employee discount and even lent me tools.

Careful spreading that around if he did drop it on his employee account. That's one of the things that will have loss prevention up his rear end looking for a reason to poo poo can him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I really only go to the chain stores for fluids and renting tools that I would rarely use otherwise. Oreilly is so close to home I use them most and don't have too many issues.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

I did when it didn't have a muffler, so same thing just further down. It's ridiculously loud. Two things: one, not gonna rev the balls off a cold shitbox from the 80's, it'll break. Two, then the exhaust would be hot and I'd burn myself trying to put it back together.

All parts stores that don't carry/know how to use catalogues suck. If they can't look up a gasket, flange, muffler, etc by size that's pathetic.
I have found things online by size before on autozone's website and went in for it, that does work.
The only parts stores near me open after 7pm are autozone and advance. Pepboys closes at 7 (or maybe 8, who cares, that store is miserable), and napa closes at 5 or 6. loving bankers.

I don't know how NAPA stays in business.
I tend to look up stuff in online catalogues, or Rock Auto first. I want to say my O'Reilly's actually has the parts books, but they're not out in the front like they used to be.
What's nice about being a regular is that they'll let me in the back for stuff like fittings and brake pipes, and to dump my own oil. I like my O'Reilly's a lot, really.

edit: I'm lucky in that I'm like 2 miles from the O'Reilly's, which is two shops down from a NAPA, and there's an Autozone, God forbid, a few more miles up the road. And a Pep Boys within a reasonable distance if I'm really desperate.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 26, 2019

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

I don't know how NAPA stays in business.

They deliver to local shops. Walk in business is probably incidental, provided as a convenience. When the local shops close up at 6PM, they do too.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

NAPA also has a higher chance of having one of those cool old guys who have done everything and know their poo poo and have the contents of the entire store memorized.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

rndmnmbr posted:

NAPA also has a higher chance of having one of those cool old guys who have done everything and know their poo poo and have the contents of the entire store memorized.

Yeah usually they are staffed by cool old guys. They'll bend over to help you find some oddball flange gasket or something from their catalogs because they sometimes like the challenge. Buuuut...you better know what the gently caress you are doing/looking for. A 16 year old doing babby's first car repair might have a rocky start dealing with the old codgers.

They've saved my butt many of times on a weekend. The distribution warehouse carries a magnitude of greater inventory compared to the others. Sure they are more expensive, but when you are stuck for time and some odd part they are my go to.

One time I needed a water pump for my SHO. They don't grow on trees and this was before internet auto parts were a thing. Anyways, they had it. Counter guy saw the price and basically said drat that's pricey. So he went through a list of local companies that do a lot of business with them while telling me to say "Yeah I work there." Took him five tries to find the biggest discount (which was around 30%) and me lying my rear end off with a wink wink.

And that drat pump was pricey. If I remember it was $275 or something close to that.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I work for the green guys. The napa parts I'd kill for is their bearing supplier. Their SKF vs our BCA is no contest when you get to the weird fringe poo poo. :sigh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

One time I needed a water pump for my SHO.

it was $275 or something close to that.

That's a weird way of spelling "BMW GDCS"

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
O'Reillys and Napa are my go to, but currently it's been Advance since it's closer than either, I usually get 20% off the top ordering off the internet and shipping to the store is free.

I used to work for a company that did marketing fulfillment for "a green company" and I had a job for weeks that was opening every storefront's elevation in a PDF and edit some stuff into it for promotions.. It was less back then, but now they have over 5000 locations. Oh one super fun thing about that job was that when companies run contests, they need someone to collect the entries and pick the winners. Our company did that - so depending on the size of the contest we would dump out all of the mail ins and little slips of paper into a huge bin or office and pick winners - quantity 50, $50 gift cards, etc. It was pretty random, however you'd see people do stuff like make envelopes out of wallpaper so they would be "easier to pick" (I never picked these) and send in like 100 of them. Grand prizes like a boat or car always had a company lawyer observing and we recorded it.

Anything that looked like a kid put in I tried to keep an eye out for :ninja:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
We don't have as many options in Canada, but I swear that Part Source/Canadian Tire has everything you'd ever need for a Ford/GM in stock at all times, while Napa has Chrysler parts in stock at all times. Ever since I've started owning Chryslers, I've been going to Napa because they'll almost always have what I need stocked.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I don't have any content but I don't want this into the archives, I've just been really busy lately :(
I did recently find out that the metro and sequoia use the same oil filter, so that's fun I guess...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

At higher RPMs the biturbo goes up to about 15.2 volts, at idle it's at like 12 with the lights on stuff on. That averages out to be fine, but I thought I'd take a look anyway. The alternator has a kinda small charge wire but only one other wire into the harness. Not sure if it's supposed just have a field excitation wire or not. In addition to the volt gauge on the dash not really working, the battery light never comes on, so I dunno what's going on. But this isn't about that.
This car never ceases to amaze me, it's half factory fuckery and half PO fuckery and it's god drat amazing. It just keeps on giving.
When taking a look at this, please ignore the really cracked intercooler piping:

What we're looking at here is the bottom of the intercooler piping for the driver side turbo, it's a really hard place to get a phone, I have about 100 worse pictures of this.
That's a vacuum line that goes between a solenoid on the side of what appears to be the charcoal canister and the air injection switchover valve (because this has air injection into the "cat" and the exhaust manifold and works by some voodoo magic).

I'm going to go ahead and assume that didn't happen on accident and since the stupid thing actually runs really well I'm going to trust the judgement of the Italian guy two owners ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Took me a minute, first i was like, oh the hose is cracked and needs to be replaced......Then I was like whaaaaaat :stare:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

If that's actually a fix, its brilliant.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It's a clever hack to get around the rules in racing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Reminds me of plugging the vacuum manifold on the om617a with golf tees to eliminate leaks

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

rscott posted:

Reminds me of plugging the vacuum manifold on the om617a with golf tees to eliminate leaks

Unlike most E class drivers (and yes I know that the w123 is just the predecessor to the E class) I don't play golf. I did find out, however, that old 1W resistors fit just perfect in vacuum lines. Doesn't even mater what value, as far as the air is concerned resistance is futile. It's like a loving ohms617 under the hood.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Over the weekend this guy went into storage for the winter:

I still need to get the mercedes out there. I'm keeping the biturbo in my garage this winter to do some work on it.

Slow_is_fast and I went offroading in an abandoned quarry and found some free Cherokee parts if anyone wants them. It still has engine, transmission, front diff, and full interior. The throttle is still pinned to the floor and it's only 200 feet down an embankment.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love that Nova! I had a 76. My favorite body style of those.

Back in high school the place we'd hang out and off-road and everything if you got stuck you slept in the truck or jeep until you got it out, otherwise it would be stripped bare the next time you got back. I slept a weekend in an old Jeep with a friend once for that reason, no cell phones back then.

OptimusRhyme
Jan 12, 2006
Autobots crafting only the finest limericks.

chrisgt posted:

Over the weekend this guy went into storage for the winter:

I still need to get the mercedes out there. I'm keeping the biturbo in my garage this winter to do some work on it.

Slow_is_fast and I went offroading in an abandoned quarry and found some free Cherokee parts if anyone wants them. It still has engine, transmission, front diff, and full interior. The throttle is still pinned to the floor and it's only 200 feet down an embankment.

Is this the quarry near Bennington? If so, that might be an old buddy of mine's ex-Cherokee.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

OptimusRhyme posted:

Is this the quarry near Bennington? If so, that might be an old buddy of mine's ex-Cherokee.

It's in Dorset, so about 30 miles away according to google. If that's his old car, I really want to hear the story. If there's videos you win 5 internets.

OptimusRhyme
Jan 12, 2006
Autobots crafting only the finest limericks.
Yeah, we used to play hockey there when the water in the quarry froze. I'll see if there's video he can dig up.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Anti-archives bump :\
Work has been crazy, I spent two weeks in China working with a vendor, and now it's holiday stuff.
I have not forgotten about my feet of broken poo poo and will be back to the regularly scheduled programming next year.
When I got back I had to crunch the snowblower through week old icey snow, that stupid thing hasn't even been in here yet because I only work on it angry as gently caress during snow storms.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Anti-archives bump :\
Work has been crazy, I spent two weeks in China working with a vendor, and now it's holiday stuff.
I have not forgotten about my feet of broken poo poo and will be back to the regularly scheduled programming next year.
When I got back I had to crunch the snowblower through week old icey snow, that stupid thing hasn't even been in here yet because I only work on it angry as gently caress during snow storms.

Sounds like my lawnmower, but substitute "hot as balls Texas summers."
loving think won't completely die so I can justify a battery electric, though.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I keep trying to post in here, but life keeps having other ideas. I took a lot of video so far working on the metro.
I have the gas tank, fuel lines, brake lines, and all the brakes removed from the car.
The gas tank is good, but everything else is garbage.
I was going to edit videos and post pictures this weekend, but yesterday something came up at work and now I'm going to be in France for two weeks. Maybe when I get back I'll put some time into effective internetting...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

We demand our entertainment.
:P

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

something came up at work and now I'm going to be in France for two weeks. Maybe when I get back I'll put some time into effective internetting...

Take some pictures of either Citroen DSes or Talbot Horizons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
get a 208 as a rental car they're fun in a slow car fast kind of way

don't get a c3

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I've done a whole ton of work to both the metro and the biturbo. Regrettably, I took a lot of video of it instead of pictures. It always seems like a good idea and then I realize that: 1, i hate doing anything with video; and 2, i only have about 2gb of hard drive space left on my computer.
Today I cut open one of the tetanus caves on the metro. After I spent 5 minutes with the vacuum cleaner I took a picture, This was full to the gills before I got the vacuum out. Gross.

After I cleaned most of the mess out:

It's actually pretty solid through the rest of it, I'm happy about that. Hopefully I never have a reason to remove the bracket thingy because I'll be cutting this poo poo back open to get that bolt out...

I cleaned up as well as I could with a wirewheel and dremel and then painted it with that weird green primer poo poo.

What the loving hell is the body seam filler bullshit that all japanese cars use?!?? You hit that poo poo with the welder and all your welds immediately disappear and the car is on fire. That stuff MAKES ME SO ANGRY.

If you can't tell by the quality of my welds, I really hate doing sheet metal repair with a burning vengeance.
Also the hole that I drilled was for the cavity wand (giggedy). I'll put a buttplug it in or something, but hopefully being able to coat the inside with undercoater will keep it from rusting out for a while.

EDIT: I forgot the cat. He's struggling through day 2920 of quarantine.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

“Tetanus caves”. I like that.