Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
TWNTRDO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Midjack posted:

The dmv will probably not issue that one. They’re not known for senses of humor.

Maine will, they authorize basically anything as long as it isn't a racial slur.
https://jalopnik.com/the-vanity-plates-of-maine-are-delightfully-awful-1831014831

Do more googling if you want, but there are some NASTY ones.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I cleaned up my fancy Swiss vagene, should be ready for a new battery.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 22, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Midjack posted:

The dmv will probably not issue that one. They’re not known for senses of humor.

I like when the do-not-issue acronym list doesn't keep up with the times (or they can't revoke existing plates that attain new meanings). I see a bunch of people in New York with FAP plates

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chrisgt posted:

Maine will, they authorize basically anything as long as it isn't a racial slur.
https://jalopnik.com/the-vanity-plates-of-maine-are-delightfully-awful-1831014831

Do more googling if you want, but there are some NASTY ones.

Good to hear. Virginia's is staffed by a bunch of humorless asswipes.

Data Graham posted:

I like when the do-not-issue acronym list doesn't keep up with the times (or they can't revoke existing plates that attain new meanings). I see a bunch of people in New York with FAP plates

That's always pretty great and they never have the balls to recall stuff when that happens.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

South Australia used to have a fleet of cars proudly wearing the VAG-xxx series of plates for at least a decade

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I see a bunch of people in New York with FAP plates
FAP257 (standard issue plate in NZ) lives just down from me. Haven’t seen the plate issued 10 earlier. I guess the owner is, err, busy.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I had a friend get a plate recalled in Maine before they laxed up on the rules. I guess someone complained to the DMV and he got a pink slip in the mail.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Midjack posted:

(bi)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

NoSpoon posted:

FAP257 (standard issue plate in NZ) lives just down from me. Haven’t seen the plate issued 10 earlier. I guess the owner is, err, busy.

So what you're saying is he faps one additional hour per day, every day

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

chrisgt posted:

I had a friend get a plate recalled in Maine before they laxed up on the rules. I guess someone complained to the DMV and he got a pink slip in the mail.

Aww, don't leave us hanging like that.

What was the plate?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

BiTimbo?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Boogalo posted:

BiTimbo?

The finest of timbos.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I honestly thought it said Lmbo for like 3 minutes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Laugh my biturbo off

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Laugh my biturbo off

:laffo::laffo:

EDIT: Also, just as an excuse as to why it's taking me forever to get tags for this...

Town Office Hours

Tuesday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Wednesday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 Noon
Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Closed Mondays and Holidays

I work 3 hours from where I live, I spend the weeks in one place and the weekends in another place. Since I have the biturbo where I spend the week, but not the weekend, nothing gets done on the weekend.
I have 4pm meetings every thursday at work, once I'm there longer I'll be able to move one of those, but yea. This is my excuse.

Also, the toyota registration is due in June and I don't like registering more than a month early, so if I do the biturbo registration in May I'll be able to rereg both those in one go every year. The mercedes is september and my town doesn't do online renewal...

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 24, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Wait, what? Is Georgia somehow weird for just doing registration in your birthday month?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crunchy Black posted:

Wait, what? Is Georgia somehow weird for just doing registration in your birthday month?

Wait, what? Your tags all come due in the month you were born, just because?

AZ, it's the anniversary of whenever it was first registered in the state, no matter how many owners ago that was.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
In Alabama it's based on the first letter of your last name.

Which is a pain because 3 of my registered vehicles are in my name, and all renew in June, but my wife's car is still renewing based on her maiden name, which is April.

Fortunately, in my county, it can all be done online and doesn't require an actual trip to the DMV.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

n0tqu1tesane posted:

In Alabama it's based on the first letter of your last name.

Which is a pain because 3 of my registered vehicles are in my name, and all renew in June, but my wife's car is still renewing based on her maiden name, which is April.

Fortunately, in my county, it can all be done online and doesn't require an actual trip to the DMV.

:psyduck:

What the gently caress is going on in the south? I'm fairly certain Illinois bases it on whenever the car was first registered to the current owner, but it may be closer to what IoC has in AZ.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wait, what? Your tags all come due in the month you were born, just because?

AZ, it's the anniversary of whenever it was first registered in the state, no matter how many owners ago that was.

Yep. I rather like it. Never had a vehicle *registered* anywhere else so I guess I never questioned it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What the gently caress is going on in the south? I'm fairly certain Illinois bases it on whenever the car was first registered to the current owner, but it may be closer to what IoC has in AZ.

Yeah this is how it works in Illinois, whenever the current owner first registers it. I just assumed it was the same everywhere else.

Also we have online registration and they mail you your tags, it's pretty hassle free.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hey don't look at SC, that's how we do it too!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Florida does it by birthday, unless its over a certain gcvw and then it has that vehicle in December. Its nice having every vehicle come due at the same time every year or two depending on what you pay for.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Mass decided to split the difference, vehicles are on the anniversary of you registering it but licenses are on your birthday - happy birthday go spend the day at the RMV.

And if you fail inspection and just give up for a couple years, when you finally get it inspected they have to inspect it once for every year. I failed in late 2010 in toilet Jeep and when I finally got it stickered in 2012 they literally drove it in, inspected it for 2010, then 2011, then 2012, then put the sticker on and charged me 3 times.

Anyways. How rusty is this beast? The exhaust makes me think Titanic, but you bought it, so...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

It's not THAT bad. I have to do some repairs in the floors, but without having cut into it yet, I don't think it's the titanic. The suspension and stuff is in decent shape. The stock bits of the exhaust are pretty good, that end of the exhaust is the kind of cheap pipe that disappears in a couple years. It's rusted worst where someone welded a hanger onto it, which makes sense. Welds always rust out on exhaust.

It seems like every state does registration stupidly. Having reg, inspection, and license renewals all in the same month would be nice. Just take a week off once a year and do all the stuff... Here cars are regged in the month you first got it tagged. Inspection is the month you last got it inspected. If you don't bother getting it inspected for 6 months after it expired, it's now that month. I usually average one sticker every 2 years...
We actually have online driver's license renewal, unless you have a CDL. Do not pass go, spend half the day at the DMV gently caress you. Since I have a CDL I have to deal with that poo poo. What fun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

TX used to have a separate inspection and registration, but now they're both due at the same time (also, only 1 sticker now). You can't renew your registration if your inspection hasn't been done in the past 90 days. I used to wait until the 1st day of the month after my inspection expired to get it done, to get an extra month out of it every year, but it always meant dealing with a long wait. But.. you can renew up to 90 days before it expires. Which means you can get it inspected 90 days before you renew. If you have a heap that probably won't pass smog in a year, but might in 6 or 7 months, well.. there's your ticket to getting another year and 3 months out of it on the road. (our safety is laughable.. lights, brakes, horn, seat belts, tires, audible exhaust leaks.. they don't check suspension, rust, etc). Some counties let grocery stores and check cashing places handle vehicle registration renewal (the county I'm currently in does), so long as the inspection is on file with the state (so you need to wait a business day for the inspection to be updated), and as long as you haven't waited until your registration expired. It's a lot easier to just do it online, a few clicks and you're done ($1 fee for using a CC online, but they offset it by offering $1 off for doing it online... :iiam:).

If you bought your car from a dealer, the registration is due the last day of the month before you bought it. So if you bought it in June (or in my case, the dealer finally got off their asses and filed the paperwork in June, the day before your temp tags expire, and only because you call and raise holy hell with them because you haven't gotten the title yet.... :fuckoff:), you get a May 31st renewal. If it's private party, it usually carries over.

Our licenses are on your birthday every 6 years (used to be every 4 years, then they offered 4, 6, 8 year tiers with different rates - then settled on 6 years). Non CDL can renew online once, the next time you have to go in and get a new photo. CDL is like your state, can't do it online. DLs are handled by state DPS offices; the large ones usually have a 2+ hour wait (but you can check in online). The small ones in BFE don't offer online check in, but I usually breeze through them pretty quick. My last renewal was less than 15 minutes, from keys out of the ignition to exiting the parking lot. Vehicle registration and title transfer is handled by the county tax assessor office, unless you're trying to get a replacement title (in which case you go to a regional DMV office).

It used to be somewhat easy to swap an inspection sticker over to your car (they were on the windshield) - I've had a couple of rentals where the inspection sticker was expired, and had a different car's info on it (so someone had previously rented it and swapped stickers) - the stickers were printed in a way that they'd come apart if you pulled them off forcefully, but a razor blade and a hot day made them come off easy. But we don't have a separate inspection sticker now - just the registration windshield sticker. The sticker has part of the VIN, your county of registration, and license plate on it. And TX cops can now easily look up your registration, inspection, insurance, and license status by your license plate anyway - the only thing that using another car's sticker will do for you now is land you a few felonies the next time you get pulled over (and you will get pulled over, bored cops will run your plates when they're sitting behind you at a red light). Our plates don't display registration dates, it's only on the windshield.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 25, 2019

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

quote:

[Important] Your Autoplicity Amazon order is a bit behind we are working on it!

Again, thank you for ordering AP Exhaust 16825CB Muffler. While we ship 99% of our orders on time or early, sometimes we fall a bit behind shipping your order because the warehouse got backed up

gently caress. I vowed never to buy from these loving crooks on amazon ever again. Autoplicity sent me the EXACT same email last year when I ordered the axle seals for the attex. Then they sent me the wrong part, then they told me I had to ship the wrong part back, wait until they could process the shipment, and they'd send me the correct part.
I really hope that doesn't happen again, that company is a miserable shitpile, NEVER order from their amazon store.

They were extremely rude and condescending to me on the phone last time, too. Look, if you don't like selling on amazon loving DON'T.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Inspections/emissions?

:chloe:

Not on my massive, rapidly moving implements that are inevitably going to be a large part of the reason why most of the planet is uninhabitable shortly!

Seriously, I live 45 miles from Atlanta and we're not considered part of the statistical metro so we're emissions exempt and there is no state regulatory body for inspections, yearly or otherwise at all. I think the only "inspection" you ever need is if the car is a rebuilt title and then they just require that an "authorized" shop either do the work or sign off on it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

gently caress. I vowed never to buy from these loving crooks on amazon ever again. Autoplicity sent me the EXACT same email last year when I ordered the axle seals for the attex. Then they sent me the wrong part, then they told me I had to ship the wrong part back, wait until they could process the shipment, and they'd send me the correct part.
I really hope that doesn't happen again, that company is a miserable shitpile, NEVER order from their amazon store.

They were extremely rude and condescending to me on the phone last time, too. Look, if you don't like selling on amazon loving DON'T.

I was going to ask why you ordered from them again, but I see that the seller is "AP Exhaust Products", not explicitly Autoplicity (which is a stupid name, by the way, too much like "duplicity" which... well, yeah, fits.)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I was going to ask why you ordered from them again, but I see that the seller is "AP Exhaust Products", not explicitly Autoplicity (which is a stupid name, by the way, too much like "duplicity" which... well, yeah, fits.)

There was only one left in stock when I bought it and it was a good $15 to $20 cheaper than any other listing for that part. So I'm guessing you won't find it listed by autoplicity right now.

Anyway, I think the vag clock has to go to the Ob-Clk.
Click for big

This is what the inside of the clock looks like. I know fuckall nothing about clocks. I do know what they aren't supposed to do, and this one is doing that.
It will do a few rounds of 10 second minutes... Yes, it'll tick 60 times in about 10 seconds and just haul rear end around the clock. I wish my boss had one of these at about noon on a Friday. Then it'll just stop (much like about 4pm on a Friday). The needle will sit there and twitch back and forth for a while, then it'll go and run really fast again. It might actually average out to being correct.

Does anyone know if that is a standard, off the shelf movement? Maybe I should just take it to a jewler/watch repair and have a new movement put in it. It's a Swiss made clock, I can't imagine the movement is anything special. It's probably the cheapest off the shelf pile of garbage they could stuff in the thing. They knew the clock would outlast the car anyway.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

chrisgt posted:

There was only one left in stock when I bought it and it was a good $15 to $20 cheaper than any other listing for that part. So I'm guessing you won't find it listed by autoplicity right now.

Anyway, I think the vag clock has to go to the Ob-Clk.
Click for big

This is what the inside of the clock looks like. I know fuckall nothing about clocks. I do know what they aren't supposed to do, and this one is doing that.
It will do a few rounds of 10 second minutes... Yes, it'll tick 60 times in about 10 seconds and just haul rear end around the clock. I wish my boss had one of these at about noon on a Friday. Then it'll just stop (much like about 4pm on a Friday). The needle will sit there and twitch back and forth for a while, then it'll go and run really fast again. It might actually average out to being correct.

Does anyone know if that is a standard, off the shelf movement? Maybe I should just take it to a jewler/watch repair and have a new movement put in it. It's a Swiss made clock, I can't imagine the movement is anything special. It's probably the cheapest off the shelf pile of garbage they could stuff in the thing. They knew the clock would outlast the car anyway.

A lot of quartz watch movements will do stuff like that when the battery is nearly dead :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Black88GTA posted:

A lot of quartz watch movements will do stuff like that when the battery is nearly dead :shrug:

My first thought, too. Have you changed the battery?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Yea, I just put a brand new battery in it. According to the package, its shelf life is good until 2022. It reads ~1.56 volts when it's in the clock and running. Not saying it isn't the battery, but the battery does seem fine.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Polychronic clock from an Italian car, it couldn’t be more perfect.

Who cares what voltage the battery has? Focus on your relationship with the clock.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I'm no horologist or good with electronics, but that sure looks like a capacitor at the bottom left of the mechanism. Certain types of those can dry out and go bad over time, and a cursory googling says that some random guy on the internet replaced a capacitor in a quartz mechanism that was running much too fast, thereby fixing it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
That's the crystal oscillator itself. I suppose it could be bad, so maybe put an oscilloscope on it and see if it de-syncs?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't know if I've ever seen a crystal go bad in quite that way, but I am always open to learning more.

I suppose if anyone can do it, it's the Italians.

It reminds me a bit of the Swiss railway clocks that pause for a few milliseconds and wait for the central time authority to radio them when it's time for a new minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDUXrT3SGf8

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

It's a Swiss clock, nothing Italian about it. I tried twiddling the capacitor, I know you should never do that, but if it's hosed... Didn't make any difference.
It's not an electrolytic capacitor (at least I've never seen an adjustable one, or one that small...). Adjustable caps usually have two parallel plates shaped like a D, spinning them can make them not cover each other, or fully cover each other changing the capacitance. If it's anything but that I'd be kinda surprised.
I'm sure if I put a scope probe on there it'll load the circuit too much and stop it completely, I can try, though. I'd be better off with an inductive pickup measuring the magnetic field off the coil/inductor.

Also nice stealth title edit. Thanks adiabatic :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Being in an Italian car automatically makes anything you built Italian.

Valiant effort from the Swiss, who distrusted Italian wiring so much they put a separate power supply on their clock rather than weigh down the unswitched power bus, but Italian unreliability is wireless. After all, they invented radio.