Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I've had a very hard to source set of master and slave cylinders bored out and fitted with a stainless steel sleeve before by a brake shop here in Adelaide. I have NFI if theres such a service where you are but it is a done thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

South Australia used to have a fleet of cars proudly wearing the VAG-xxx series of plates for at least a decade

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

100 series diesel landcruisers can develop a failure mode where a sensor on the Injector pump starts to leak internally. The first you know about it is when diesel starts to drip on your passengers feet out of the ECU. Usually means you replace the sensor AND the entire engine harness because the diesel destroys the wire insulation.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Could be worse... mate had some shocks on his land cruiser where the eye was welded the entire way around instead of the standard two beads that EVERYONE uses. Weld cracked right along the weld heat affected zone, peeled the shock eye open and then the suspension shoved it into his tyre sidewall at 100kph on a gravel road. 250km from the nearest parts shop in central Australia.

And that’s the story on how I ended up welding two shocks (cos of course the other side was cracking too) back together with welding rods and car batteries, in a parking bay on the side of the Plenty highway before doing an 8hr, 600km banzai run back to Alice springs, fitting two new shocks in a car park and then driving 350km on gravel roads, at night, in unfenced cattle country to catch up with the rest of our group.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I didnt get as good life out of my KO2’s as I did out of my original KO’s (as in 30k kms less life!) on my heavy landcruiser. I’ve gone to Toyo Open Country AT II’s and they’ve been great. Quiet tyre, well behaved, good off-road and I’m on track to get 80k kms out of em.

The other option if you want something a bit more aggressive but not a full blown mud is the Toyo RT.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Obviously Toyota used the same retarded rear shock mount on the sequoia as they do on the 100 and 200 series. On the 80 and 105 they have a little plate that’s held on with two M8 bolts from underneath. Undo them and the whole top shock mount pulls down out of the chassis and you take the top bolt off on the bench...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

chrisgt posted:

I'm not licensed to balance tires, either. This is how I balance tires that make the machine jump off the floor. Put about half the weight on it suggests and hit GO again. You kinda just have to work toward the end goal, you'll eventually get it balanced. Only one took excessive weight, that wheel always takes excessive weight, so...
I haven't had it over about 45mph yet, we'll see if traffic isn't a shitshow how it goes to work today :v:

Do you know how the loving bump stops inside the springs are held on? They look for all the world like they're glued in.

There’s a bolt and washer up the guts of them that go into a captive nut in the chassis on the top of the spring perch....

Which can be undone on mine, but is possibly a giant lump of iron oxide for you...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Do you think this is likely confirmation bias? Goodyear is the 3rd largest tire manufacturer and perhaps most iconic or memorable in the US.

Well Goodyear own BF Goodrich tyres too and I’ve NEVER had a set of them that balance up nicely. Same rims, same Tyre size and my toyo mud terrains were on there with 10-20g per Tyre. Change to bfg and they’re up to 100-200g per Tyre

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That’s better than the effort I saw where someone took an oxy torch to the arm, got it cherry red and pounded the poo poo out of it with a hammer to clear tyres!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Computer viking posted:

I'm not a welding (or blacksmithing) guy, but wouldn't that do unwanted things to the hardness of the steel?

If it was a mild steel bracket that did nothing... no issue.

A high strength steel fabricated control arm? Probably not so good...

The amount of dumb as gently caress poo poo that floats across the Facebook group pages for 4wd’s is mind numbing