Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lady Gaza posted:

Got to be careful with Vanguard’s “rate of return” calculation. It shows mine as 29% but that seems to factor in monthly contributions. Excluding those brings it closer to 15% which is still good.
According to the research page on iWeb (where I do my dealing, because they are cheap as chips) that fund's 5yr annualised ROR is 12.61%.

Also, hello goons, I am also a UK investor goon who does not know what he's doing.

Previously I just stuck stuff in 80% equity Lifestrategy, but now I'm branching out wildly and have bought some L&G Global Technology Index Trust I Acc. Help, the gambling madness has taken me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ah that's really helpful, thanks.

So 0.32% seemed ok but I am obviously looking at these things in far too simplistic a way, I suspect. It's been quite a while since I did proper reading on this stuff.
My lifestrategy is I think 0.1% fees, obviously with significantly lower risk & lower likely yield. So the 0.32% for the L&G didn't look too bad in that context.

However I suspect I'm working from a trustingly limited selection of funds. I actually couldn't see any passive funds that were tracking better than the L&G one, certainly not with that low level of fees. Though I suppose that should also be ringing alarm bells.

I only dropped an initial £5k in it so far, everything else is on a lifestrategy at the mo. I'll have another more thorough look around next time I've some savings to put in.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is definitely at the higher end of my risk tolerance, I am hoping to establish a decent spread though so some higher risk stuff seems like it should be OK. Given that I don't pay a fee to my broker individually for each of these funds I can be quite spread out without any extra costs it seems

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Might be a stupid question but, anyone got any recommendations for what to do with savings whilst we teeter on the brink of a huge recession lol.

I have a S&S isa and a non-ISA account as well with the same broker, all in a couple of L&G and Vanguard ETFs at the moment. They are not doing great, unsurprisingly given I invested the bulk in like December last year.

I'd like to keep saving for a housing deposit but don't particular want to keep dropping stuff in ETFs if they are likely to tank even further soon. Then again maybe I am being an idiot trying to time things and should just drop the money in now and wait for the (supposedly) inevitable bounceback/resolution to the crisis/final collapse of society.

Or maybe I should save in my 1.75% Tandem account lol.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm in the same boat, started putting savings into the 80% equity Lifestrategy and into an L&G global tech index tracker last year. Am down a fair ways maybe 10%.

My assumption is that we're going to see further drop now that the interest rate hikes have been announced and everyone's basically accepted that we're heading for/in a recession that will go through a good portion of next year.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone got any recommendations for pension funds? I'm self-employed and could do with reducing my taxable income by a few thousand to get under the mid income bracket. Advised that putting a bit into a pension would be the best way to go (and seems sensible anyway). Just interested in which provider charges the lowest fees and is likely to provide a decent return (if there is such a thing) in the long run

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the pension recommendation, will hit up the Vanguard next month.

Wondering what folks here use to track their funds and other assets? Google Finance seemed to be helpful, I have a couple of stocks I follow there, but I am finding it stupidly difficult to find particular index funds on there. It sends a little performance summary notification at the end of the day which is nice. But I'm sure there must be better platforms out there.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm looking at London too. Been a while since I checked but for one or two bed flats you can get some pretty great stuff for 450k I think? And in decent locations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone have any recommendations for smartphone finance apps that are good at tracking index funds? I have looked at a few but it seems very difficult to find the funds I have shares in (an L&G global tech fund, and one of the Vanguard UK lifestrategy funds). Which seems weird to me but then again maybe most people don't track these things that closely. I would just like to have something that I can quickly check to see how my funds are doing - my online broker doesn't have an app and it's a bit of a PITA to go through their website's security each time.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the responses. I think FT was the only one I'd found that would do what I was looking for, it's a shame they (I think?) don't have an app. Will sort out my profile on their website and hopefully that will do the trick. If not I'll look at google

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Is it just a feature of index funds that brokers take a long time to deal in their shares? Or is this just a feature of my crappy broker (iWeb)? Seems strange that I ordered a sale of some shares early yesterday morning and nothing seems to have happened about it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

It it’s a fund, they usually trade once a day at a certain time which is when the fund is valued.

If it’s an ETF it should be near instant
It's an index, I think - the tracker shows day to day variations in the price. L&G Global tech index.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ah ok thanks.

Still seems strange that the deal order is taking three+ days to actually be actioned, I guess this is just a side effect of using a broker that has no fee except a flat £5 transaction fee lol.

edit: actually I forgot the request I made was for sale of some vanguard Lifestrategy shares, not the L&G - so definitely was for an index fund sell

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

So you’re mixing up some concepts here.

An index fund is an investment fund which tracks a certain index (you may have heard of active vs passive funds). Lifestrategy funds are technically actively managed non-index funds because they do not track an index directly, although the underlying funds within do. If you look in the portfolio data for the LS funds you’ll see it invests in, for example, the Vanguard US equity index fund. That fund is a passive index fund that aims to track the S&P index.

Index funds can be implemented in different ways, the two common ways are OEIC and ETFs. OEICs are priced and traded once per day, ETFs work more like shares in that they’re traded on an exchange and can be bought/sold effectively instantly.

Your Vanguard fund is an OEIC which means it’ll only trade once per day. I suspect that you’re also running into “settlement time” which is the time between your sale being recorded and the funds being transferred to the broker and on into your account.

See the iweb page where it says this is usually two days:

https://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/help-and-guidance/existing-customer/trading-support.html

Some brokers allow you to withdraw instantly but that is basically them making a loan to you assuming the trade will settle fine. Iweb don’t do that
Thanks, that's helpful.
I honestly only look at this stuff in any detail once every one or two years so I guess I have half-forgotten everything.