Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have a couple of quick questions about financial stuff.

I recently started work at a call centre for specifically finance related matters. Me and my fiancée are both saving up for a house and, fortunately, are in the North East meaning that we can put down a far smaller deposit than we normally would have to. Our work is also giving all of us a slight upgrade in terms of pay and a bonus every April if we hit certain criteria. Currently we're on a combined income of about £33,000 between the two of us, with potential for me to go and get a CEMAP and potentially start working to become a mortgage consultant in a year or so.

It means that we are generally in a very good position fiscally, better than either of us have been in for our entire lives, but I don't know too much about how to do savings and general usage of funds. We always pay back any credit card debts at the end of the month, have a fully paid for car and only a student loan (type 1 as it happens so jack and poo poo is going to happen with it and it gets written off once I hit 51) on my side, plus a pension of around £30,000 (approx) from my previous job. I was wondering if this is fiscally "okay" as it were, mainly because the saving for a house has meant that we are both about £500 down per month and, although that has meant we are in a good position for getting a mortgage, it can leave us a bit too reliant on credit cards to do some stuff. We never go above 15% on the cards as well, just for clarity.

Do folks think that sounds healthy, or if there is anything we are doing "wrong" or particularly egregiously silly?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh I mean that's going into the saving for a mortgage!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Angrymog posted:

My mortgage deal is up in a few months, thinking I should wait to renew it because there's talk of the interest rate going down?

And only get a short term fix?

See if your provider lets you put a renewal in place and change it closer to the time. I know that our one does that sort of thing!

I've got a thing where if I die my fiancee gets my pension and my own salary x4. Which isn't too bad.

Alongside that, I have a pension pot of, this year in total about 35,000. Should I combine or move it round or do fancy things with it? I am turning 35 this year.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 13, 2024