Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Just Another Lurker posted:

That bit i understand, adding up to £20k max in a single tax year.

I'm inquiring if i can (with one provider, Vanguard) have a Bond isa in one tax year (2020-2021) and in the next tax year (2021-2022) have a S&S isa (also with Vanguard).

Or do i have to seek out a separate provider for each tax year e.g. Vanguard for 2020-2021 tax year and then Trading 212 for 2021-2022?

Was hoping to have them both going through Vanguard.

i'm not sure what you mean by bond isa here? the five types of isa are cash, stock & shares, lisa, junior, and innovative finance. investments in bond securities would still be done via a stocks and shares isa.. if you open an s&s isa with a provider in the current year you can contribute to it next year.

you can have different types of isa (e.g cash and s&s) with the same provider if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Breath Ray posted:

ive read the free sample of the intelligent investor, realised i need to put at least 25% in bonds and would like to ask an embarrassing question. is it worth investing in bonds inside an isa wrapper (even though its a safe haven) or should I stick to investing in s&s isas (either another one or existing fundsmith one) and buy bonds (a few thousand quid's worth) outside the isa wrapper?

Yes, interest on bonds is taxed as personal income so do benefit from being in an ISA. Fixed income And any reinvested income benefits as well.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

froste posted:

This should be obvious to me, but I am also dumb as hell so :shrug:

I have a Cash ISA earning 0.1%; am I better switching that money into my Stocks/shares ISA given the painfully timid rates?

You could. But there is always a greater risk with higher returns from shares. You'll still want to keep some cash for short term and unexpected costs.

Really depends on what other cash savings you have, and how long til you need the money.

Should at least shop around and look to switch to a better rate. Inflation is only like 0.7% ATM.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 8, 2021

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Gilt ETF just means an ETF investing in UK Government debt. So the same as any other ETF where investments are pooled but they buy Gilts which is the fancy name for Government Bonds in the UK.

Gilts are generally seen as the safest bonds as it's unlikely her Majesty's government will default. As opposed to corporate bonds issued by listed companies. Or overseas bonds which introduce exchange risk.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Clarence posted:

Six months ago I opened a Vanguard account and I've been paying in a regular (small) amount each month since.

Overall it's got a return of -4.75% over that time and has only had one good positive month.

It's intended as a long-term investment for at least 10-15 years, and I've no intention of taking what's paid in so far back out, but, given the way everything is going right now, would I be better served putting the monthly amount into a savings account at a pittance of an interest rate, at least for a few months, before putting that into the Vanguard account as a lump sum?

no. assuming you already have adequate cash savings for any emergencies and stuff.

trying to time the market is a fool's game.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

El Grillo posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for smartphone finance apps that are good at tracking index funds? I have looked at a few but it seems very difficult to find the funds I have shares in (an L&G global tech fund, and one of the Vanguard UK lifestrategy funds). Which seems weird to me but then again maybe most people don't track these things that closely. I would just like to have something that I can quickly check to see how my funds are doing - my online broker doesn't have an app and it's a bit of a PITA to go through their website's security each time.

I just have a google sheet and use the googlefinance function, which works well for ETF funds. Though that might not work for the funds you've listed which look like unit trusts/OEICS? So they wouldn't be listed on an exchange.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

El Grillo posted:

It's an index, I think - the tracker shows day to day variations in the price. L&G Global tech index.

You don't invest directly in an index, an index is just a defined list of securities with the value being a weighted average of the underlying prices.

An index fund synthesises the value of the index by buying the underlying stock that make up the index, or opening derivative contracts based on them.

L&G funds are unit trusts which are open ended funds, so will value once a day based on a snap of the underlying prices. And that price will be used for any customer investments or withdrawals on that day.