Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Have you... seen the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm currently unemployed, with no income (and thus no tax) this financial year. I'm about to start working again. Normally, I'd consider an employer pension or SIPP however both provide either pre-tax payment or tax relief.

I have sufficient savings to put the £4k into a LISA. I have previously owned property overseas, so a cash LISA doesn't make sense. It seems to me like this might be one of the cases where a S&S LISA makes sense with the understanding that it's locked away til I'm 60, so long as I can find one with fees only proportional to the size of the portfolio (and thus it won't be eaten up slowly by management fees due to lack of economy of scale). Does such a fund even exist?

Put differently, would the free £1k worth the faff of setting one up, even if I end up rarely contributing to it (e.g. because another pension scheme is more financially beneficial)? The major risk in my mind would be whether I stay long-term in the UK - if I'm no longer a citizen, I'm illegible to contribute to it and lose the benefit. I don't mind having some money just tied up here until I'm 60 in that instance, but again wouldn't want it to just slowly atrophy from fixed fees.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 1, 2024