Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
This sub forum is exactly what I see at work every day but much younger crowd.

If you walk into my VA and take a seat in the cafeteria you will see veterans who come everyday (not as patients - they have no appointment) to hang out with other veterans just to talk about their service, current events, dumb poo poo, alcohol, drugs, emotional support*, etc. Pretty much everything you can get here, only the conversation is face to face.

The younger crowd hates the VA (at least at mine) and only goes out of necessity. I don’t have the data and probably couldn’t share it anyway, but a recent survey we had was extremely positive of my VA from Vietnam era veterans, and extremely negative from OEF/OIF.

So since we don’t want to go to the one place that you can find people to connect with for support because you hate the establishment, you can go online and connect here.

* I want to make sure I clarify that the conversations I overhear of those seeking/giving emotional support for a range of issues including PTSD, it’s a strictly veteran to veteran interaction, not from a behavioral health employee or other professional provider. Occasionally it does involve employees like myself, but NOT as an employee & patient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

a big part of why this subforum caught on back in the grover/gd american days was having a massive resource of people still in or just recently out. It was a non lovely place to ask stupid questions and get an answer quickly from people who already suffered through whatever task you needed.

After we all got out for the most part we stuck around and basically made our own sub community in s-a. i remember complaints in the qcs forum about how gip had their own sports thread, game thread, current events thread- and the point was made that they'd rather have us here throwing poo poo at each other instead of making GBS threads up the other subforums

since then, prolly because of the dogge thread being transplanted here from yospos and the amount of lurkers in the secret good current events thread, we've improved our image. also our big push a while back to get more lurkers and outsiders to post in here

do you have access to the dick book by any chance? dunno if your spouse has a copy or not. thatd be worth a few citations in your paper

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Wroughtirony posted:

Friend, I hope you work for more than ten seconds at a time and don't fall apart at the slightest provocation.

I've been purging those things from my household for over a decade and they still keep popping up like a bad penny.

burn the house down. it is haunted.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

But I like Skilcraft pens. :-(

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I wouldn't underestimate the "obvious": lack of the rigid class line that is officer/enlisted. Here, you have everyone from unfortunate degree-holding enlistees to mid-grade officers who essentially can't genuinely interact face to face. It's even more open than the occasionally lovely and dramatic military enclave of Twitter since everyone's more or less anonymous. By having the rankless Mil-forum, we've hopped over the barrier that all the really awful Mil-forums (the previously mentioned ones that explicitly display rank) put up for themselves.

I've been posting here since I was a dweeby wannabe, and now more than 10 years later I'm a dweeby junior officer. One of the best things about this dumb, dead forum is that I could interact with people I simply can't out in the wild, first with ~actual Military People (The Troops)~ as a wannabe, now with enlisted folks, who in real life I cannot risk venturing to the mess decks to interact with

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wut

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That's something I hadn't considered the fact we don't have a rank sstructure in the forum, and the dick waving doesn't happen like other boards. Grover the exception.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 18, 2019

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Navy, dude. Don't try to understand it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's something I hadn't considered the fact we don't have a rank sstructure in the forum, and the dick waving doesn't happen like other boards. Grover the exception.

yeah but still

hang all nobles

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

colachute posted:

yeah but still

hang all nobles

Agreed.
Mustang is like, a bad week away from doing it anyway.

Carnival Rider
Apr 23, 2006

I never really post much, I’m quiet in general and never feel like I have much to offer (also I’m still in and don’t want to get doxxed) but I’ve been lurking gip since before it was permanent.

I think this is one of the best military forums I’ve seen, everyone is pretty close and watches out for each other. There are a lot out there that poo poo on people based on rank or branch or even deployments. People might get ribbed on but they are still accepted unless they do something really dumb and see themselves out.

I think a big part of that is the volunteer mod team, back when LF kept trying to invade the mods were always on top of things and did their best to keep things civil or boot out people that refused. That and the pay wall kept out most of the idiots.

That and being real about everything. Most places are rah rah go airborne but people here give out good information and tell the truth, not just kool aid.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think that comes a lot with the fact we are mostly of the GWOT generation, it seems. Most of us have seen what the military really does, not what the ONG 93-98 did.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Carnival Rider posted:

I never really post much, I’m quiet in general and never feel like I have much to offer (also I’m still in and don’t want to get doxxed) but I’ve been lurking gip since before it was permanent.

I think this is one of the best military forums I’ve seen, everyone is pretty close and watches out for each other. There are a lot out there that poo poo on people based on rank or branch or even deployments. People might get ribbed on but they are still accepted unless they do something really dumb and see themselves out.

I think a big part of that is the volunteer mod team, back when LF kept trying to invade the mods were always on top of things and did their best to keep things civil or boot out people that refused. That and the pay wall kept out most of the idiots.

That and being real about everything. Most places are rah rah go airborne but people here give out good information and tell the truth, not just kool aid.

I'm not familiar with LF- what happened there?

Also, I'm curious about how Goons here express themselves in ways they might not express themselves verbally in person to other vets. Why is it easier to make a connection in a written medium than a spoken one? What information are you able to convey here that you can't convey face to face?

I like the idea that the forum has grown with you guys- what do you think has allowed that? Why didn't you just outgrow the forum and move on to something else? What allowed you to adapt and still appeal to younger members?

Finally, I consulted my spouse about the Dick Book, and if you meant the compendium of latrine graffiti I would very much like to see that! Anyone have a link?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Written is easier because it's standoff. It alliws some measure of emotional distance between the writer and the story.
I always viewed text communication (for myself anyway) to be armor against difficult or delicate things.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wroughtirony posted:

Also, I'm curious about how Goons here express themselves in ways they might not express themselves verbally in person to other vets. Why is it easier to make a connection in a written medium than a spoken one? What information are you able to convey here that you can't convey face to face?

I like the idea that the forum has grown with you guys- what do you think has allowed that? Why didn't you just outgrow the forum and move on to something else? What allowed you to adapt and still appeal to younger members?

Finally, I consulted my spouse about the Dick Book, and if you meant the compendium of latrine graffiti I would very much like to see that! Anyone have a link?

Written, especially on this forum, is easier. It's "fire and forget", one off statements. Any one of us can just chime in, blurt something out, then retreat to our "real" life. There is no "commitment" to stay and continue the conversation. It also helps that, for the most part, we are all on the same "wavelength". We have a wide range of political and social beliefs. Once someone drops a line about needing help, feeling down, etc, we drop our differences and respond.

I think our interactions have a hierarchy for statements. Our get help thread is untouchable, everyone knows that is NOT the place to poo poo post. It might be a by product of our service. Everyone of us have been in situations where we had to go from "gently caress off" mode to "get poo poo done now" mode at the flip of a switch. We just organically applied that mentality to the various threads to various degrees.

As for the forum adapting. The military NEVER changes. The younger, newer guys may have fancier toys/weapons, but the problems are still the same. Ancient Roman soldiers were drawing dicks on the shitter walls. The guys in Valley Forge were likely bitching about fire watch. The dude killing a Nazi with a shovel was bitching about how bad chow was. That's how we stay "relevant", the military NEVER changes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

LF (Laissez's Faire) was a FYAD-lite subforum of D&D, kind of like CSPAM now, except way more into edgelord maoist communism. Every now and then they'd come in here try to troll people.

Eventually they got shut down because someone joked about plotting to kill the president (Obama at the time), and lowtax got a visit from the secret service.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

LF (Laissez's Faire) was a FYAD-lite subforum of D&D, kind of like CSPAM now, except way more into edgelord maoist communism. Every now and then they'd come in here try to troll people.

Eventually they got shut down because someone joked about plotting to kill the president (Obama at the time), and lowtax got a visit from the secret service.

Ah, right. I remember now. Back in those days I never left GWS.

My teacher likes to say "context is everything" and I'm beginning to see how that really applies here. Each thread is its own sub-context with its own rules in the greater context of GIP as a whole. I wonder how this kind of contextual self-policing (e.g. punishing anyone who fucks with the get help thread while allowing near-anarchy in the drunk thread) creates a different sort of community than someplace like FB, which has a set of sitewide community guidelines that largely fail to enforce functional discussion?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

On the Sanctity of the Get Help thread- that comes from the 'tribal' aspects I mentioned earlier. I doubt there is any Vet or current servicemember in here who hasn't lost someone they served with to suicide. Seriously. If you've been in longer than a year, you know someone.
I've known a few dudes who straight offed themselves, but more who went the passive suicide route. That's a sacred place for a reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We've had what, 4 suicides in GIP? I remember Quarterly Prophet and Schneider but I know they weren't the only ones.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Hung out in GBS then the Firing Range I love GWS saw your posts there. Unrelated about that time I started reading GiP threads and you guys grew on me. I now own both dick books and check in every few weeks. GWS is the most welcoming community and GiP would be next welcoming one. Where else could I start a thread called Love you Guys and not get a ton of poo poo for it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Godholio posted:

We've had what, 4 suicides in GIP? I remember Quarterly Prophet and Schneider but I know they weren't the only ones.

These were the only two I remember as well.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Does anyone know how old GIP is as a subforum? It'll let me scroll back to May 2014, but I know the forum is older than that.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 21, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I know in late 2003/early 04 it was a thread in Ask/Tell.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i think it was still an a/t thread in 2008 or 2009

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Around 09/10. Definitely by late 2010, I remember the forum existing when I got my IRR discharge, what apartment I was in, that Barry O got OBL while I lived in that apartment.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Thanks. I'm having fun writing the history/background part of the paper. Explaining what SA is to an academic audience is a pretty hilarious endeavor.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
An archives account might not be a bad idea, assuming the archives are still around, work, and don't require radium gypsy code levels of knowledge to read. If nothing else, chock it up as a robotic spine donation to the 'tax.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

An archives account might not be a bad idea, assuming the archives are still around, work, and don't require radium gypsy code levels of knowledge to read. If nothing else, chock it up as a robotic spine donation to the 'tax.

poo poo, you don't even need that. They're public records in the Library of Congress. I might dig around a little later for them if no one else does.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Wroughtirony posted:

Thanks. I'm having fun writing the history/background part of the paper. Explaining what SA is to an academic audience is a pretty hilarious endeavor.

You absolutely need an archives account. Because, in my opinion at least, the old A/T thread is closer to Current Day GiP then early GiP is so if you want to be able to draw narrative lines for the forum's culture you really need to start back there.

A lot of people seem to forget that early GiP was the punchline of an FYAD/LF joke which is part of the reason why Grover was the first "mod" (though his "authorities" were closer to an IK's than a mod's and his official title was like "Chief Senior Master Sargent" or something like that).

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

You absolutely need an archives account. Because, in my opinion at least, the old A/T thread is closer to Current Day GiP then early GiP is so if you want to be able to draw narrative lines for the forum's culture you really need to start back there.

A lot of people seem to forget that early GiP was the punchline of an FYAD/LF joke which is part of the reason why Grover was the first "mod" (though his "authorities" were closer to an IK's than a mod's and his official title was like "Chief Senior Master Sargent" or something like that).

You're right, and I will definitely get Archives. However, as much as I would love to write an anthropological history of GIP (I say that with zero sarcasm, btw- it would beat the hell out of most of the other coursework I'm doing atm) I'm going to have to keep things under ten pages and focused on the sociolinguistic side of things when it comes to the forum as it is now. The history section is just going to boil down to "in 1999, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka launched a comedy website. It has forums, which evolved from x to y over the last two decades and are now [statistics]. GIP started out as a thread in A/T in [year] and became its own subforum in late 2009(?) Though moderation styles and content have varied over the years, at present it's shockingly functional compared to the oozing racist pustules that are most other online forums for similar communities, especially Facebook. " Then I'll talk in specifics about the ways in which you guys talk to each other and use (here comes the jargon) positive and negative politeness and especially (what many would see as) impoliteness to preserve both positive and negative face while enforcing spoken and unspoken community rules. Then I'll bash the gently caress out of Facebook for a few pages and hopefully tie it all together.

As far as quoting from the forums, my plan is to credit usernames (with permission) when you guys are answering my questions directly, quote anonymously ("One user posted...") from threads that I observe, and only speak in generalities about anything sensitive, like the get help thread.

It's not going to be the most rigorous piece of scholarship in the world, but the professor is giving me a lot of latitude in terms of just writing about interesting poo poo that has to do with sociolinguistics and pragmatics.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Looking forward to forums poster UP THE BUM NO BABY being cited in an academic paper.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fister Roboto posted:

Looking forward to forums poster UP THE BUM NO BABY being cited in an academic paper.

If it doesn't happen here I'll be a little self serving and try and get myself published this summer, and I may cite myself on the forums for it

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I think it’s important to note that GiP is a pretty thin vertical slice of armed forces members/vets. Most of us are within 5 years of age and basically left the service in a similar window. There are hardly any new people joining gip who enlisted/commissioned.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

holocaust bloopers posted:

I think it’s important to note that GiP is a pretty thin vertical slice of armed forces members/vets. Most of us are within 5 years of age and basically left the service in a similar window. There are hardly any new people joining gip who enlisted/commissioned.

Because we do a good job job of convincing them not to join up.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

A Bad Poster posted:

Because we do a good job job of convincing them not to join up.

And then there is mustang. Who as far as I know has been “getting out” for like two years now.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I love Mustang and Vahalkya. They serve as bulwarks to remind people hey ummm, look at this.

I'm active in here in spurts and I love this place, I can find opinions that are unpopular with my veteran friends because everything is Rose colored glasses with them about their service. The biggest thing I have struggled with post service was three months I was guard in a detention facility overseas. I literally helped keep people in crowded cages that they entered on the flimsiest of evidence and if they were truely innocent it would take them a year or more to prove that while they were forced to live like animals. Depriving them of even daily showers because our facility and staff was not set up to support that.

This forum has had the most chill atmosphere I have found on the internet. The Discord is also good OP if you want to join that and watch our banter by the minute, it has sub channels to cover a ton of stuff that even GIP doesn't cover.

And we play left 4 dead 2 and are terrible at it, you should join us.

Edit: Confused the guy who accidentally invaded Syria with the Finn, I meant the Finn.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 23, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

There were some really interesting threads by some service members outside of the A/T megathread. I remember one posted by a dude who claimed to be a Ranger (an actual Batt guy, not just a guy with a tab) and posted some really interesting things before :nsa: and he edited out all his posts. Another was a guy who was an 11B in Iraq before the surge who posted some stark and sobering descriptions of combat. Sadly, he killed himself shortly after that thread.

Then there was a Marine deserter who hitchhiked across the country and couchsurfed with goons until he turned himself in.

I remember these threads as definitely having a lot of interest and high post counts, and they probably contributed to the climate in which proto-GIP grew.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Then there was a Marine deserter who hitchhiked across the country and couchsurfed with goons until he turned himself in.

Iirc he was pulled over in Texas driving an unregistered car (on title in hand) and when he eventually gave ID they saw he was AWOL from I think 29 palms? Also the car was halfass rattle can painted. They drug him off to holding until some MPs came for him. Until that point in the thread, never said he was military. Had one of those four letter word names and it's driving me nuts that I can remember all that other poo poo but not his screenname.

That was probably 2006ish in A/T.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Iirc he was pulled over in Texas driving an unregistered car (on title in hand) and when he eventually gave ID they saw he was AWOL from I think 29 palms? Also the car was halfass rattle can painted. They drug him off to holding until some MPs came for him. Until that point in the thread, never said he was military. Had one of those four letter word names and it's driving me nuts that I can remember all that other poo poo but not his screenname.

That was probably 2006ish in A/T.

honestly that is way more badass than like 80% of the lameass sea stories I've ever heard about any deployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Flikken posted:

I love Mustang and Vasdus. They serve as bulwarks to remind people hey ummm, look at this.

I am only 95% sure that Mustang is a real person and 5% sure he is another IDR except instead of trying to be Rambo he went the complete opposite direction and is trolling us by living the dumbest military experience possible.