Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Flikken posted:

This forum has had the most chill atmosphere I have found on the internet. The Discord is also good OP if you want to join that and watch our banter by the minute, it has sub channels to cover a ton of stuff that even GIP doesn't cover.

And we play left 4 dead 2 and are terrible at it, you should join us.

Thanks a ton (really) for the invite but the GIP Discord is basically Mr. W's man cave/safe space and I'd be intruding. Bad enough I'm using his GI Bill to finance an English degree...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

colachute posted:

I am only 95% sure that Mustang is a real person and 5% sure he is another IDR except instead of trying to be Rambo he went the complete opposite direction and is trolling us by living the dumbest military experience possible.

I worked maybe a couple hundred feet from Mustang until last summer and never met the guy, so he could be a mass hallucination by us all.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Mustang knew too much about Columbus Georgia, which makes it 99% certain he's real, because who in the gently caress would choose to live there without being threatened with Leavenworth

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there a good summary of LT Mustangs Army adventure for those of us not of the Hooah persuasion?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Is there a good summary of LT Mustangs Army adventure for those of us not of the Hooah persuasion?

"Thank God I'm leaving the NTC." *gets sent to NTC again*

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Hey you get to work triple the hours as everyone else because you are unmarried and have no children ... your leave is denied because why should you get any you are unmarried and have no children ... also we are all going to go home to our families, you stay here and work, have fun see you laters ~

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There were some really interesting threads by some service members outside of the A/T megathread. I remember one posted by a dude who claimed to be a Ranger (an actual Batt guy, not just a guy with a tab) and posted some really interesting things before :nsa: and he edited out all his posts. Another was a guy who was an 11B in Iraq before the surge who posted some stark and sobering descriptions of combat. Sadly, he killed himself shortly after that thread.

Then there was a Marine deserter who hitchhiked across the country and couchsurfed with goons until he turned himself in.

I remember these threads as definitely having a lot of interest and high post counts, and they probably contributed to the climate in which proto-GIP grew.

Oh I know/knew the ranger dude in real life. Lost touch with him and I have no idea where the gently caress to start looking for him now. But I remember when he realized posting all that poo poo was a terrible terrible idea.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I wasn’t nearly as security conscious then as I am now, but off the top of my head, I don’t remember him posting anything that compromised TTPs or violated OPSEC or whatever. I could see why it’s a bad idea to post anything, even if it’s milquetoast stuff, about a unit that works with JSOC though.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

I wasn’t nearly as security conscious then as I am now, but off the top of my head, I don’t remember him posting anything that compromised TTPs or violated OPSEC or whatever. I could see why it’s a bad idea to post anything, even if it’s milquetoast stuff, about a unit that works with JSOC though.

Hell writing books about your time in special operations is a time honored tradition for some of these folks. Or talking to Sean Naylor on the record.

It’s funny, there’s a lot about the command out there that wasn’t out there 15 years ago, but there’s still more mistaken or wrong or outdated information than anything.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
JFC I signed half a dozen SF312’s when I was just a GSC REMF w 3rd Group.

It’s not hard to keep you loving yaps shut.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

There were some really interesting threads by some service members outside of the A/T megathread. I remember one posted by a dude who claimed to be a Ranger (an actual Batt guy, not just a guy with a tab) and posted some really interesting things before :nsa: and he edited out all his posts. Another was a guy who was an 11B in Iraq before the surge who posted some stark and sobering descriptions of combat. Sadly, he killed himself shortly after that thread.

Then there was a Marine deserter who hitchhiked across the country and couchsurfed with goons until he turned himself in.

I remember these threads as definitely having a lot of interest and high post counts, and they probably contributed to the climate in which proto-GIP grew.

Then there was DefenseSupportParty who posted a whole bunch of :nsa: stuff about missle and nuclear detection methods and got thrown in jail

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

He got charged? I thought they just yanked his TS and kicked him.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EBB posted:

Yeah didn't he attempt suicide too?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

So I got Archives and I've been digging through A/T, but the threads are sorted by kill date, so I have something of a needle in a haystack situation going on to find the military thread(s). Anyone have any clever ideas? It's literally for one whole sentence in the background section of my paper, so anyone's best guess as to when the A/T thread formed into some semblance of a community would be fine, too. Also, for those of you who might be curious- GIP as a forum dates back to July, 2008.

Paper is coming along well. The first third is finished. I just need to chain myself to my keyboard and bang out the rest by Wednesday. The only obstacles in my way are being busy all day Saturday and Sunday, having another term paper to finish by Thursday and the fact that I'm coming down with a really bad cold. If I can get all that under control then the only things I have to worry about for the rest of the semester are the final exams I have been too busy to study for.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

I thought he did

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Wroughtirony posted:

So I got Archives and I've been digging through A/T, but the threads are sorted by kill date, so I have something of a needle in a haystack situation going on to find the military thread(s). Anyone have any clever ideas? It's literally for one whole sentence in the background section of my paper, so anyone's best guess as to when the A/T thread formed into some semblance of a community would be fine, too. Also, for those of you who might be curious- GIP as a forum dates back to July, 2008.

Paper is coming along well. The first third is finished. I just need to chain myself to my keyboard and bang out the rest by Wednesday. The only obstacles in my way are being busy all day Saturday and Sunday, having another term paper to finish by Thursday and the fact that I'm coming down with a really bad cold. If I can get all that under control then the only things I have to worry about for the rest of the semester are the final exams I have been too busy to study for.

You could probably dig through the post histories of people who have been around for a while.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
^ Those time out after awhile, and are only limited to 1000 posts

Edit
SAclopedia has a entry from September of 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2358

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 26, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:lol: Fire wrote an entry.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pkells posted:

You could probably dig through the post histories of people who have been around for a while.

search for Slippery's posts, he took a many year hiatus from posting and 1000 back might be far enough

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

So the paper is done. I ended up writing just about GIP because by the time I got down to explaining what a Lowtax was, I was in too deep to give FB a similar treatment without running onto 20 pages. I did not get to use nearly as many of the awesome quotes as you guys gave me as I wanted. If anyone wants to read the whole bloody thing I'll send it to you.

tl;dr: GIP is an example of a hybrid online community that uses novel applications of written language to meet the needs of its users in ways that face-to-face communities cannot.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Wroughtirony posted:

So the paper is done. I ended up writing just about GIP because by the time I got down to explaining what a Lowtax was, I was in too deep to give FB a similar treatment without running onto 20 pages. I did not get to use nearly as many of the awesome quotes as you guys gave me as I wanted. If anyone wants to read the whole bloody thing I'll send it to you.

tl;dr: GIP is an example of a hybrid online community that uses novel applications of written language to meet the needs of its users in ways that face-to-face communities cannot.

You’ve got me curious.

RCfnova @gmail

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Same.

suboptimalsa@gmail.com

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

colachute posted:

You’ve got me curious.

RCfnova @gmail

Sent. Also, you're quoted.

"I post in gip because I, for all intents and purposes, try not to interact with anything military related in my day-to-day. […] This forum lets me interact with people who understand what it’s like to be in the military, and understand how that can really gently caress with you. While I try to avoid it as much as possible in my life outside of the forums, it’s still something I want to be able to reach out to if necessary. Plus, sometimes I just get lonely and there are a bunch of assholes here I can talk to."

colachute. “Help me be a cunning linguist” The Something Awful Forums. 16 Apr. 2019. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887132&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1. Accessed 30 Apr. 2019.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2019

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ASAPI: I especially wanted to use this: "As for the forum adapting. The military NEVER changes. The younger, newer guys may have fancier toys/weapons, but the problems are still the same. Ancient Roman soldiers were drawing dicks on the shitter walls. The guys in Valley Forge were likely bitching about fire watch. The dude killing a Nazi with a shovel was bitching about how bad chow was. That's how we stay "relevant", the military NEVER changes." If it didn't kind of contradict the whole premise of my paper I would have ended with it.

Cenen: I tried to fit your quotes in too. A lot of what you said helped me focus my research. It just didn't end up working well in context.

Kawasaki Nun: Your words helped a lot, and helped me refine my focus, especially your urge to be understood.

Sacrist65: You shared a lot of real poo poo that was beyond my scope. Thanks for pulling no punches and telling me how it is.

The rest of you: Thanks for contributing. I know that putting yourselves out there is an effort. Thanks for believing in me and trusting me with your stories. I know it's just an undergrad paper but your cooperation means a ton to me.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I hope this thread doesn't have to end just because your project did, it's nice having a dedicated forums historian safe space

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

shame on an IGA posted:

I hope this thread doesn't have to end just because your project did, it's nice having a dedicated forums historian safe space

Echoing.

Also your work was very well written.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

ASAPI: I especially wanted to use this: "As for the forum adapting. The military NEVER changes. The younger, newer guys may have fancier toys/weapons, but the problems are still the same. Ancient Roman soldiers were drawing dicks on the shitter walls. The guys in Valley Forge were likely bitching about fire watch. The dude killing a Nazi with a shovel was bitching about how bad chow was. That's how we stay "relevant", the military NEVER changes." If it didn't kind of contradict the whole premise of my paper I would have ended with it.

Cenen: I tried to fit your quotes in too. A lot of what you said helped me focus my research. It just didn't end up working well in context.

Kawasaki Nun: Your words helped a lot, and helped me refine my focus, especially your urge to be understood.

Sacrist65: You shared a lot of real poo poo that was beyond my scope. Thanks for pulling no punches and telling me how it is.

The rest of you: Thanks for contributing. I know that putting yourselves out there is an effort. Thanks for believing in me and trusting me with your stories. I know it's just an undergrad paper but your cooperation means a ton to me.

Just because it's an undergraduate paper doesn't mean that it's worth less than a graduate or post-graduate paper. Thank you for wanting to try and understand this weird little sub-forum better, and for thinking that we're worth writing about. I'm interested in this paper too. Email .

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 5, 2019

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I owe my sobriety to this corner of the Internet, and I am glad I got called on my attempts to sneak stuff over the holidays.

I know that it would have lead to a slide.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'd like to read it.
Woody8213 at the Gmail

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Glad to help! Hope you get a good mark.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I had an economics/accounting paper I worked on as an undergrad published in an academic journal. It’s not an incredibly high bar to clear if you’re willing to submit it and make the requested revisions. Most people just don’t try.

E: I got your email and I will be giving it a read sometime after work today.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Interesting paper, excellent work. I can see how you were limited- you could tell that you wanted to do more. I wish you could have, because I enjoyed that, and would like to see more of your input on it. Thank you for sharing it.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

colachute posted:

I had an economics/accounting paper I worked on as an undergrad published in an academic journal. It’s not an incredibly high bar to clear if you’re willing to submit it and make the requested revisions. Most people just don’t try.

Yes, this. There's value in getting your ideas out there and the process of peer review is designed to help give you feedback on how to improve the piece. You're obviously passionate about the subject and I think the discussion has flagged some interesting points. Consider writing it up for a journal. I guarantee it's not hard, it's just work.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wroughtirony posted:

That's pretty cool actually, I never thought that I would even be considered as a potential quote in an academic paper. Now I'm going to be all full of myself for a day or so.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Thanks for emailing your paper! I thought it was really well done!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

Glad to help! Hope you get a good mark.

We read each other's papers in class today and while some were very good there were enough awful ones and enough no-shows to class that I'm pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about. One paper (about the difference between Chinese and American pragmatics) contained the sentence "The Japanese started World War II when they dropped an atomic bomb on Pearl Harbor."

Now I just have to ace the final on Monday and catch up on a bunch of other work I've been putting off... One more week.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

One paper (about the difference between Chinese and American pragmatics) contained the sentence "The Japanese started World War II when they dropped an atomic bomb on Pearl Harbor."

Now I just have to ace the final on Monday and catch up on a bunch of other work I've been putting off... One more week.

:stare:

I understand that the American education system fails a lot of people, but that sentence is incredibly impressive.

Thank you for sending the paper over! I'll read it over the next few days, and I really look forward to it.

Best of luck with the rest of your classes and work too. I feel the pain. I'm finishing edits/revisions on my thesis and a midterm right now. It does eventually end unless you choose to go to grad school.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wroughtirony posted:

We read each other's papers in class today and while some were very good there were enough awful ones and enough no-shows to class that I'm pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about. One paper (about the difference between Chinese and American pragmatics) contained the sentence "The Japanese started World War II when they dropped an atomic bomb on Pearl Harbor."

Was there peer review? Please tell me there was peer review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The Valley Stared posted:

:stare:

I understand that the American education system fails a lot of people, but that sentence is incredibly impressive.

I went to a public high school in the midwest. I was half a credit in history shy of graduating when my final semester rolled around, so I picked the most basic history class just to check the box and continue to be lazy. I had to change it immediately because the first lesson was on Pearl Harbor, and most of the class did not know what it was at all, and when the teacher explained it to the class several people were confused by "how someone could drown in a boat."