Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yo, this place supported me in ways it won't ever know, and helped me through a few dark spots.

Whenever I'm asked if I want to join the VFW or American Legion I respond with something like, " Why would I want to compare dick sizes ( military service) with broken old men. Its more accurate to say that I don't join because I can lurk here and watch slightly younger broken men make sense out of this stupid world.

There's a shared cultural understanding here but people on this forum are not much like the majority of other vets.

I don't have much in common with veterans that I meet IRL. I find them generally to be bitter and entitled. Being a straight white male, when another vet finds out I was in at parties, the conversation goes down 1 of 3 paths:

O yea, you did X ? …...So there I was, no poo poo outside tikrit killing everything with my fists and being more badass than you

[Recollection of some obvious traumatic event that ends in tears.]

summarization of whatever is anti American thing is going on according to Fox News. Kneeling, Emails, Dummycrats.

I've heard stranger-vets advocate genocide at a wedding, and ugly cry at a 1 year olds birthday party. It's because I can still speak the language and because of that, they think they've found a kindred spirit. It's like being part of a club full of people with lovely opinions.

I'm just trying to be polite and avoid the vitriol that comes out when you challenge these people on their lovely belief system.

The flip side to this are the cool vet friends I've made that only reference back to that shared experience to laugh about how dumb they and everyone around them were. These are the people that used their military service as a stepping stone to some other goal. So maybe it's a forward-looking vs backward-looking thing.

Sacrist65 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU