Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wroughtirony posted:

I'm not familiar with LF- what happened there?

Also, I'm curious about how Goons here express themselves in ways they might not express themselves verbally in person to other vets. Why is it easier to make a connection in a written medium than a spoken one? What information are you able to convey here that you can't convey face to face?

I like the idea that the forum has grown with you guys- what do you think has allowed that? Why didn't you just outgrow the forum and move on to something else? What allowed you to adapt and still appeal to younger members?

Finally, I consulted my spouse about the Dick Book, and if you meant the compendium of latrine graffiti I would very much like to see that! Anyone have a link?

Written, especially on this forum, is easier. It's "fire and forget", one off statements. Any one of us can just chime in, blurt something out, then retreat to our "real" life. There is no "commitment" to stay and continue the conversation. It also helps that, for the most part, we are all on the same "wavelength". We have a wide range of political and social beliefs. Once someone drops a line about needing help, feeling down, etc, we drop our differences and respond.

I think our interactions have a hierarchy for statements. Our get help thread is untouchable, everyone knows that is NOT the place to poo poo post. It might be a by product of our service. Everyone of us have been in situations where we had to go from "gently caress off" mode to "get poo poo done now" mode at the flip of a switch. We just organically applied that mentality to the various threads to various degrees.

As for the forum adapting. The military NEVER changes. The younger, newer guys may have fancier toys/weapons, but the problems are still the same. Ancient Roman soldiers were drawing dicks on the shitter walls. The guys in Valley Forge were likely bitching about fire watch. The dude killing a Nazi with a shovel was bitching about how bad chow was. That's how we stay "relevant", the military NEVER changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wroughtirony posted:

ASAPI: I especially wanted to use this: "As for the forum adapting. The military NEVER changes. The younger, newer guys may have fancier toys/weapons, but the problems are still the same. Ancient Roman soldiers were drawing dicks on the shitter walls. The guys in Valley Forge were likely bitching about fire watch. The dude killing a Nazi with a shovel was bitching about how bad chow was. That's how we stay "relevant", the military NEVER changes." If it didn't kind of contradict the whole premise of my paper I would have ended with it.

Cenen: I tried to fit your quotes in too. A lot of what you said helped me focus my research. It just didn't end up working well in context.

Kawasaki Nun: Your words helped a lot, and helped me refine my focus, especially your urge to be understood.

Sacrist65: You shared a lot of real poo poo that was beyond my scope. Thanks for pulling no punches and telling me how it is.

The rest of you: Thanks for contributing. I know that putting yourselves out there is an effort. Thanks for believing in me and trusting me with your stories. I know it's just an undergrad paper but your cooperation means a ton to me.

That's pretty cool actually, I never thought that I would even be considered as a potential quote in an academic paper. Now I'm going to be all full of myself for a day or so.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wroughtirony posted:

I actually did quote you and your words were very useful to me! "I think our interactions have a hierarchy for statements. Our get help thread is untouchable, everyone knows that is NOT the place to poo poo post. It might be a by product of our service. Everyone of us have been in situations where we had to go from "gently caress off" mode to "get poo poo done now" mode at the flip of a switch. We just organically applied that mentality to the various threads to various degrees." (ASAPI)

ASAPI. “Help me be a cunning linguist” The Something Awful Forums. 20 Apr. 2019. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887132&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2. Accessed 30 Apr. 2019.

I just wasn't able to work in the bit about the military never changing, which bums me out to no end.

Sweet! Now I get to be full of myself for longer...