Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

So I'm the wife of a regular here (out yourself if you want or not, babe) and I'm taking a course in sociolinguistics.

I'm looking for info for my final paper. This research will probably not be for the greater good because it'll never get published because I'm an undergrad, so your responses are a favor to me, and I thank you in advance.

I'm writing about small internet communities and their rules for politeness, especially communities that use very different standards than everyday spoken English. Basically, that means that I'm interested in the way you bastards talk to one another in the foulest of tones while still maintaining serious support when it matters most. I appreciate and value everyone's personal stories, but I'm not so much looking to collect combat stories. Instead, I want to know how having this forum with its particular rules and customs works for you. Is it the respect for service? the irreverence? the space to tell your own story? Something else? What do you like about the spoken and unspoken rules of GIP as opposed to other spaces for servicemembers and vets?

Feel free to ask me questions, roast me for being a dependa, whatever. I'd love to have some dialogue with a few of you, or just a couple of comments.

Thanks again, and thank you for your service.

Interesting questions. I've really only started to post in GiP in the past two years. For me, the reason I started posting more frequently was because there were people here that could understand what I'd gone through who'd be sympathetic and understanding without being condescending about it. There's also the unspoken, but always present, support for one another. Someone can be having a rough time-- or do something really stupid--and sure, you'll have the people that make a quip about it, but there's almost always someone here who will provide advice or help you out in some way.

We're not here to circle jerk about our service, and there isn't that chuddiness that's often associated with other service member groups. Isn't the unofficial forum motto "I am deeply conflicted about my service" or something like that? If nothing else, we tend to say it a lot, and I think that that's a healthy way of looking at what we do/did. There are certainly aspects of our service that all of us are conflicted about or feel was wrong, and we're not about to sugar coat that with pretty pictures of the flag and weeping eagles.

I agree with bulletsponge13 about the self regulation and taboos being a big role too as to why we tend to stick around. Yes, you can have your jokes or jabs, but if you cross a line, you'll know it from other members. Sometimes the probations are in good fun too because you didn't post a dog picture for your fifth post or some poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

If dog or cat pics are on offer, I definitely expect them, btw.

Thanks a ton for your perspective, may I have your permission to quote you in my paper? I'll just use your username, or if you want, another anonymous name.

No cat and dogs pics from me. I move too much to own an animal right now, and the family pet recently passed away at 22. He was a good, old, grouchy bird.

And this name is fine. Thank you for asking.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

The motto is, "I don't believe in anything I'm just here for the violence," you loving nub. :colbert:

I said unofficial, sir!

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

ASAPI: I especially wanted to use this: "As for the forum adapting. The military NEVER changes. The younger, newer guys may have fancier toys/weapons, but the problems are still the same. Ancient Roman soldiers were drawing dicks on the shitter walls. The guys in Valley Forge were likely bitching about fire watch. The dude killing a Nazi with a shovel was bitching about how bad chow was. That's how we stay "relevant", the military NEVER changes." If it didn't kind of contradict the whole premise of my paper I would have ended with it.

Cenen: I tried to fit your quotes in too. A lot of what you said helped me focus my research. It just didn't end up working well in context.

Kawasaki Nun: Your words helped a lot, and helped me refine my focus, especially your urge to be understood.

Sacrist65: You shared a lot of real poo poo that was beyond my scope. Thanks for pulling no punches and telling me how it is.

The rest of you: Thanks for contributing. I know that putting yourselves out there is an effort. Thanks for believing in me and trusting me with your stories. I know it's just an undergrad paper but your cooperation means a ton to me.

Just because it's an undergraduate paper doesn't mean that it's worth less than a graduate or post-graduate paper. Thank you for wanting to try and understand this weird little sub-forum better, and for thinking that we're worth writing about. I'm interested in this paper too. Email .

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 5, 2019

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

One paper (about the difference between Chinese and American pragmatics) contained the sentence "The Japanese started World War II when they dropped an atomic bomb on Pearl Harbor."

Now I just have to ace the final on Monday and catch up on a bunch of other work I've been putting off... One more week.

:stare:

I understand that the American education system fails a lot of people, but that sentence is incredibly impressive.

Thank you for sending the paper over! I'll read it over the next few days, and I really look forward to it.

Best of luck with the rest of your classes and work too. I feel the pain. I'm finishing edits/revisions on my thesis and a midterm right now. It does eventually end unless you choose to go to grad school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
Just finished reading the paper, and it was very well done. Again, thank you for thinking that we're an interesting enough group of people to write about.

I found it interesting that you mentioned that women are under represented in the forum (to be clear, I agree that this does appear to be the case) and that we skew towards the GWoT generation. When you were conducting research for this and looking at other communities, did they tend to steer older, like first Gulf War or late Cold War era?