Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think it helps we are fairly self regulating. If you break a taboo, you get chastized socially and a warning. At first (unless something super heinous), it comes as little jokes and barbs, maintaining the lighter social situation.
When it becomes repeated is where it get interesting. Because first you are approached with some poo poo slinging, but it comes off almost jovial. Next comes the 'Maybe we didn't get what you meant'- most of the time, the group allows them to explain, because we all have been clumsy with words. Then comes debate, then varying levels of social punishment, which could end up being ban/probate, but more often comes in the form of ridicule and running them out for being poo poo heads.

I'm sure that wasn't as coherent as I wanted, and I missed some stuff, but hey, data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Most of the taboos I refer to come down to changes in attitude. When I first ventured in here, calling someone a retard was a normal thing. Over the years, it's changed. We don't use it like that anymore. As the collective age of the forum has risen, it has added to a familial understanding of roles- like the unofficial mods, or the irony banning ones- they help tend the herd.

Or a lot of the 'ironic' poo poo that spills from other forums.

Mostly, it comes down to a shared culture before hand. We know the tribal customs, we have shared the same burdens. That cohesion carries on. poo poo, look at all the good the outreach threads have done.
And quote away.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Most of the taboos I refer to come down to changes in attitude. When I first ventured in here, calling someone a retard was a normal thing. Over the years, it's changed. We don't use it like that anymore. As the collective age of the forum has risen, it has added to a familial understanding of roles- like the unofficial mods, or the irony banning ones- they help tend the herd.

Or a lot
of the 'ironic' poo poo that spills from other forums.

Mostly, it comes down to a shared culture before hand. We know the tribal customs, we have shared the same burdens. That cohesion carries on. poo poo, look at all the good the outreach threads have done.
And quote away.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've picked up a few helpful phrases from here- 'Autists' is one. 'Go suck poo poo through a dick shaped straw' is another.

I've thought about it throughout the day, and I think a large part of our unspoken rules is that we grew together as a whole. We've had things that tested the community in ways other net communities aren't. A suicide here, even from someone who is a poo poo poster or infrequent poster hits us hard because of the previous lives in the military. We all learned the hard way that no one in power gives a gently caress. Most of us are GWOT babies. We did our time, and now have age, maturity, and hindsight to view our service a little more honestly, and since we aren't all beating our dicks ragged to Toby Keith, we realize what a loving waste our service was. We romanticize, but thankfully, there's always a new batch of special needs candidates enlisting and posting to remind us of reality.

This is actually really interesting, and I might add more than you'd ever want as I think about this poo poo.

E- weirdly enough, I am more socially tact on here, where there is a very limited degree of anonymity (my real info is connected and accessible, but most on here don't care to dig too far) while on my FB, which isn't a burner, I have no issues flinging poo poo, just like real life. I've always tried to be a respectful house guest in my life, and this ain't my house...but it is family, so poo poo happens.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 16, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yo, this place supported me in ways it won't ever know, and helped me through a few dark spots.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm an outlier- I loves my service, and I miss it.

I'm still super bitter and angry, but I am proud, and I came of age in war, so it was a defining thing for me. I just realized that the military doesn't care. It's like the ocean- it's beautiful and chaotic, and can be great bloody fun.
But like the ocean, it doesn't give a gently caress about you. You are a skilcraft pen with a face.

I've also noticed a relationship between how Vet you act (we all know what I mean- ribbon rack, GWOT hat, Grunt Style, multicam pants, etc) and how much you actually accomplished in your career. Those guys who go over the top, typically ain't done poo poo, and have a complex about it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

But I like Skilcraft pens. :-(

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That's something I hadn't considered the fact we don't have a rank sstructure in the forum, and the dick waving doesn't happen like other boards. Grover the exception.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 18, 2019

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

colachute posted:

yeah but still

hang all nobles

Agreed.
Mustang is like, a bad week away from doing it anyway.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I think that comes a lot with the fact we are mostly of the GWOT generation, it seems. Most of us have seen what the military really does, not what the ONG 93-98 did.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Written is easier because it's standoff. It alliws some measure of emotional distance between the writer and the story.
I always viewed text communication (for myself anyway) to be armor against difficult or delicate things.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

On the Sanctity of the Get Help thread- that comes from the 'tribal' aspects I mentioned earlier. I doubt there is any Vet or current servicemember in here who hasn't lost someone they served with to suicide. Seriously. If you've been in longer than a year, you know someone.
I've known a few dudes who straight offed themselves, but more who went the passive suicide route. That's a sacred place for a reason.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'd like to read it.
Woody8213 at the Gmail

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Interesting paper, excellent work. I can see how you were limited- you could tell that you wanted to do more. I wish you could have, because I enjoyed that, and would like to see more of your input on it. Thank you for sharing it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I do have to admit, I need to take more care with my typing- I shouldn't have (sic) four times in one sentence.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wroughtirony posted:

I felt bad including it because your meaning was clear, but that's MLA for ya.

I wasn't upset, I just need to proofread more.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm adding this to my resume, along with 'quoted in an NPR print story'. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dope! Congrats!